Map Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick wee map I made just for the sake of it:
british_isles.png

british_isles.png

Map of Vive la Francewank (1817), soon after the Hauptmannist revolution in the Habsburg Empire. The red country is the Federation of People's Republics, each member of which has a name like "(insert dominant ethnic group here) People's Republic".
Why are Bohemia and Austria lumped together? I would expect sufficient ethnic justification for separating them.

Thande

Donor
Just reposting my entry for this week's map contest ('a people out of place').

The basic concept is that Constantine founds a Roman successor state (initially claiming to be the legitimate Empire) in the British Isles and this survives when the Franks take over Gaul. Constantine's successors as Emperor, having kept their realm united, employ Anglo-Saxons as foederatii and they settle on the east coast, principally in East Anglia. There are sometimes clashes between the Anglo-Saxons and the Romano-Brythons over farmland. The Romano-Brythonic Emperors, deciding to kill two birds with one stone, pay the Anglo-Saxons to try and retake Gaul for the Empire from the rogue Franks. With Romano-Brythonic help, this is achieved--the Franks are pushed down into the south of Gaul, where they eventually conquer and displace the Vandalic and Visigothic kingdoms in Spain and North Africa. Later when Islam comes along, the Franks are conquered by the Muslims and their king, Carloman, swiftly embraces the new faith in order to keep his position.

Eventually the tensions between the Anglo-Saxons and Romano-Brythons leads to a breakup. Most of Gaul comes under the control of the Anglo-Saxons, many of whose soldiers settled there, while the Anglo-Saxon federate states in Britannia are gradually reconquered and subsumed by the Romano-Brythons. However, a few Anglo-Saxon place names do remain in East Anglia and other places along the east coast of Britannia. The Romano-Brythons also manage to hold onto the Channel Islands and their colony of Brittany, which is mostly populated by Brythons. The Romano-British state, though still claiming to be the legitimate Roman Empire, has gradually seen Latin replaced with Brythonic Celtic (i.e. Welsh) as its main language (compare Greek in OTL Byzantium).

In the 'present day' (AD 1133) the area covered by this map is divided into several nations: Yr Ymaerodraeth Brythoniad (literally "The British Empire" ironically enough) which controls all of Britannia and a 'pale' of Hibernia, the rest of which is inhabited by Gwyddelod (Welsh for 'Irish') tribes; the Cynerice (kingdom) of England, as the Anglo-Saxon state in Gaul is now named; the Muslim Karlumanid Caliphate of the Franks or Firanji; the Ravennine Empire, another claimant to succeed the Romans; and the Tausher Band (i.e. Deutscher Bund, but with different linguistic evolution), a German confederation which grew out of the need to repel invasions by eastern Slavs. The Anglo-Saxon realm has taken the name of the Angles rather than the more numerous Saxons because the 'Old Saxons' are prominent within the Tausher Band and the two states have grown to be persistent enemies.

Diff Migrations Entry.jpg

Just reposting my entry for this week's map contest ('a people out of place').

It's a really well done map, but........unless Celtic culture hasn't been totally wiped out, like it probably would be, don't expect to see place names like 'Shelton', 'Orellston', etc. in the former France{except from towns founded by conquered Celts, perhaps, especially ones from Britain}, and there should be some more in Britain now that the Saxons are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.