Protect and Survive: A Timeline

I just had a thought, have we had any news on the Channel Islands such as Guernsey? Assuming they have not been blanketed in fallout, they may be doing rather well. The local governments may even still be functioning.

They will not even have to worry about large swaths of survivors assaulting them in search of refuge.

Macragge1

Banned
I think we mentioned the Channel Isles briefly; I'll try and find the quote.

Bingo

They'll basically be surviving the same way they did under the Nazis after D-Day - that is to say barely. There's enough fish and crops to support a small population, but it'll be tight and people will be unhealthy. Any luxuries are out the window, too.

They will be more or less independent as well, at least for a while - this works out pretty easily, as they have always had pretty centralised, feudal power structures.

Macragge1

Banned
Operation Prospero [8]

Heard of some gravesites up by the highway/ A place where nobody knows

When we finally met the Swiss, they appeared friendly and grateful for their belated hospitality, if perhaps a little terse. They described to us, over dinner, their journey - it was clear that they had grown tired of telling and re-telling it to various officials, and stops and starts abounded when they tried to skip precious details.

Switzerland had been hit; neutrality, it seemed, was had been no defence. The winding streets of Bern were now but a memory, and the Red Cross had burned with Geneva. Mercifully, these were the only two hits upon the mountain nation, although rumours of duds turning up near isolated ski-resorts were flaring by the time Plan Bleu (the reconnaissance of Europe) was implemented. The entirety of the remaining Swiss Air Force was geared towards this; aircraft had been sent out of Europe's rocky heart in every direction - from Spain to the Baltic. Our new guests, the crew of the helicopter Failloubaz had not heard from these craft, but had accompanied another machine across France (where it landed near Versailles). The Swiss' description of the French situation, regrettably, fitted in with our own calculations, although a sticky encounter with two Mirages gave rise to hopes that someone, somewhere down there, had got organised.

It had seemed entirely alien to the Swiss that we had taken issue with their distribution of supplies - one must remember that the Swiss nation had got it very, very easy compared to us.

Our broadly jovial dinner-time conversation was darkened more than once by the discussion of the spree of murders plaguing the south of England. Whilst killings were a common occurence across the land, these were different; nothing at all was taken from the victims, and the brutality perpetrated upon them - all women - was far beyond the work of a looter...

The Secretary lets them lie in and he fills them full of hot food. Warm baths, and a change of clothes while their uniforms are purged. After weeks of sweat and dirt and chafing, their new American fatigues feel like silk and ermine.

Of course he's angling for something.

He broaches the question over drinks in his study. Small talk as he builds up and then - 'the way I see it, boys, we can both help each other. You were sent here to find out what happened to us, right? Well as it happened, I'm pretty curious too. And you guys are good - to have got this far, you're good. We're almost certain that the President made it to Cheyenne'

The sound of a pin dropping.

'Of course, I can't order you to do this. I'd send my own guys, but they've enough trouble guarding the farms. To be frank, boys - ' he leans towards them conspiritorially - 'you're ten times better at all this than them'

Interesting. There's a pause and then the Pilot downs his drink and 'We'll do it'.

The Commando disagrees - 'why should we? We've done our job, let's get home right now.'

'We have a job to do, and we're going to bloody do it!' - the Pilot starts out quiet and seated and ends up upright and shouting.

'You could at least put it to a vote!' - the Commando matches the Pilot's volume effortlessly.

'In case you've forgotten' - the Pilot jabs a finger into the Commando's chest, safe in full view of everyone - 'I'm the ranking officer here, and if the Secretary here can't order you, then I certainly fucking can - and that goes for the rest of you too!'

The Commando storms out.

The next week is spent preparing. The Pilot is haunted by dreams that taste like kerosene. The Commando is undisturbed by dreams because he doesn't sleep. The Scientist and the Doctor lose themselves in maps and charts - it's best to keep busy, isn't it.

In between cleaning weapons and sharpening the knives, the Commando develops a routine. Every morning, noon and night, as unfailing as an automaton, he complains to the Doctor of a terrible headache. He asks for something strong. The Doctor reluctantly rations out two pills each time.

It's the night before they set off, and the Commando offers to make the post-meal coffee. Alone in the kitchen, he prepares the Pilot's cocktail and adds sugar to taste. People do just drop down dead these days, and a wreck like the Pilot - well, it's a miracle he's made it this far.

He doesn't know how it happens, but there's a mix-up. His eyes follow the mug all the way up to the Doctor's lips. 'You know, this isn't half bad?' and then the man dies with a smile in his eyes. Regrettable, thinks the Commando, but at least the loose ends have tied themselves.

Who dares wins.

They almost laugh when they see it - a fat, sad looking Sikorsky, pulled out of storage after god-knows how many years. The Doctor was a shock but the show must go on. Someone has gamely painted an RAF roundel next to the old bird's white star. Well, that was nice.

The American is with them - he has eschewed the team's British uniforms in favour of his own, more comfortable clothes. It turns out he flew craft like this during a much more civilised war, many years ago.

Cramped between fuel and food and weaponry, the team sit in silence.

They do not look at each other.

They do not joke.

They do not wish each other luck.

Wheels up.

Last edited:
Well it seems like we're going to have a Swisswank in the future, since they've survived so intact. Zurich is still there right?

Assuming the President has indeed reached Cheyenne, it'll be interesting to see exactly how much control he has, or thinks he has.

As I've mentioned before, it'll be interesting to see how many de facto nations have emerged in the former USA, and how easy it will be for them to be re-incorporated...

So the commando was trying to kill the pilot and got the doctor instead? Ouch.
Nice hint of Nuclear Foyle's War to come. There are probably dozens of mentally deranged people out there, or released prisoners who could perpetrate such crimes.

Switzerland has got it easy but it occurs to me that especially if they de facto incorporate parts of Austria and Southern Germany into their country then by far Switzerland will be a mainly German speaking nation. Geneva is the main French speaking city and it is now gone and Bern is mixed French and German speaking.

Sad to see how wrecked the US are but the pilot decision not to go back to Britain was foolish.

Hmmm...Cheyenne Mountain had a whole regiment of SS18s aimed at it with 25 MT warheads. (At least so I remember from some book I read)

Can't see it surviving, sorry to say. The US themselves put more stock in Raven Rock and Greenbriar.

Switzerland has got it easy but it occurs to me that especially if they de facto incorporate parts of Austria and Southern Germany into their country then by far Switzerland will be a mainly German speaking nation. Geneva is the main French speaking city and it is now gone and Bern is mixed French and German speaking.

Well German speakers are a majority anyway.

If the Swiss are incorporating German territory, then they'll likely also acquire some French territory as well. If Strasbourg has survived, it could become a Swiss city.

Cheers,
Nigel.

So, the Non-Crispy bits of Mitteleuropa will be dominated by the speakers of Schwyzertüütsch. It's German, Jim, but not as we know it. :)

I suspect the Swiss will deal with their own problems first, whilst trying to form contacts with other nations. They have very good civil defense preparations and even in Genéve and Bern there will be a reasonable number of survivors. Most of their civil defense efforts will be directed towards these areas. Other areas that may have been effected are the Basel area, which is close to Mulhouse and near to Konstanz as well. They will also be looking to stem the flow of refugees towards them, although the time of year will help there and the surrounding low population densities.

I expect that the one move they may make is into Austria's Voralberg. They are fellow Alamennic speakers and sufficently isolated from the rest of Austria that they probably wouldn't get bombed (as well as the largest town being only about 25,000 people).

The Swiss Air Force has lost it's HQ, but none if its main airfields - never mind the "special roads". It's also quite large, they had a pile of Mirage III's including some recon jobs and a shedload of lovely Hawker Hunters. The F5 was just coming into service and being produced in Switzerland. There's even a handful of Vampires as trainers still in the 80's. The main Helicopter is the Alouette III with some Super Puma's. The Super Puma has just got the legs for a one way journey to the UK from Switzerland.

Again, a great update, although it looks like Prospero is going to end in tears.

Macragge1

Banned
Well it seems like we're going to have a Swisswank in the future, since they've survived so intact. Zurich is still there right?

Zurich's still there, yeah. Suisse has got of lighter than most, but 'wank' is perhaps a bit much - they've still been hit by at least two hydrogen bombs and are suffering from all the problems of the world economy dissapearing. Still, they were well prepared and they are doing pretty good.

Assuming the President has indeed reached Cheyenne, it'll be interesting to see exactly how much control he has, or thinks he has.

As I've mentioned before, it'll be interesting to see how many de facto nations have emerged in the former USA, and how easy it will be for them to be re-incorporated...

Assuming he has reached there.

So the commando was trying to kill the pilot and got the doctor instead? Ouch.
Nice hint of Nuclear Foyle's War to come. There are probably dozens of mentally deranged people out there, or released prisoners who could perpetrate such crimes.

Bingo on what happened with the Commando. You're absolutely right about the deranged people hanging around, and prisoners too. Very messy.

Sad to see how wrecked the US are but the pilot decision not to go back to Britain was foolish.

Well considered about the Swiss situation (Swiss-uation?). The Pilot's had to make a hard decision, but one must remember that with Caliban badly damaged on a runway in the wasteland, they don't actually have a concrete way to get home at any rate.

Hmmm...Cheyenne Mountain had a whole regiment of SS18s aimed at it with 25 MT warheads. (At least so I remember from some book I read)

Can't see it surviving, sorry to say. The US themselves put more stock in Raven Rock and Greenbriar.

Could certainly turn out to be extremely messy.

So, the Non-Crispy bits of Mitteleuropa will be dominated by the speakers of Schwyzertüütsch. It's German, Jim, but not as we know it. :)

I suspect the Swiss will deal with their own problems first, whilst trying to form contacts with other nations. They have very good civil defense preparations and even in Genéve and Bern there will be a reasonable number of survivors. Most of their civil defense efforts will be directed towards these areas. Other areas that may have been effected are the Basel area, which is close to Mulhouse and near to Konstanz as well. They will also be looking to stem the flow of refugees towards them, although the time of year will help there and the surrounding low population densities.

I expect that the one move they may make is into Austria's Voralberg. They are fellow Alamennic speakers and sufficently isolated from the rest of Austria that they probably wouldn't get bombed (as well as the largest town being only about 25,000 people).

The Swiss Air Force has lost it's HQ, but none if its main airfields - never mind the "special roads". It's also quite large, they had a pile of Mirage III's including some recon jobs and a shedload of lovely Hawker Hunters. The F5 was just coming into service and being produced in Switzerland. There's even a handful of Vampires as trainers still in the 80's. The main Helicopter is the Alouette III with some Super Puma's. The Super Puma has just got the legs for a one way journey to the UK from Switzerland.

Again, a great update, although it looks like Prospero is going to end in tears.

Yeah, the Swiss Air Force has a pretty cool inventory at this point, and what's better is that it's mostly intact.

Thanks for the kind words - it's getting to the point where Op. Prospero isn't looking like it's gonna get a fairytale ending.

I'd have assumed that the President would have stayed airborne aboard NIGHTWATCH until the exchange was over and it was clear what bunker sites had survived. IIRC with air refuelling the E-4B was only limited by how much oil it carried for engine lubrication.

With all the confusion and damaged communications it is quite possible that the Secretary believes the President is at Cheyenne Mountain, but is misinformed.

Even more than other times, it is definitely worth the trouble to endure the wait for a new chapter. High five for you, Jack!

Glad to see that the Swiss were not too offended by the early arrest, probably the talking heads ;) have prevailed among the British command.

The Soviets, therefore, could not resist the temptation to throw away two missiles to "punish" the capitalist bankers; anyway, it seems that is not enough to break the iron will of our neighbors in the Alps. The decision to make "exploration" on the Continent seems to me certainly courageous, and certainly will give us the opportunity to learn something more about the condition of the rest of Europe. For my part, there is obviously great expectation and concern for the fate of Italy ... I expect a very detailed report :D

I take this opportunity to ask: Versailles would not be a bit 'too close to Paris, which I guess wiped out by nukes?

I join my congratulations to Jan facts about the smart way to introduce our Nuclear Foyle (of course I'm calling it so waiting for the name that you feel is most appropriate)

In the same way, I guess, Unless accidents have occurred during the trip, the President remained in the air until it was given with certainty the "ok" to a landing at Cheyenne or any other safe place to receive the command of the nation.

The Secretary is clearly an astute fellow, but I see also sincere admiration for the skills of the members of Prospero. I also agree with the decision by the Officer to continue the mission within the United States in search of the President, because I would not know how they anyway could return to the United Kingdom.

I begin to fear that the Commando is losing his mind, and if I were in the shoes of The Officer, I would try not to get too much time alone.

I feel obliged to praise Jack for highly effective description of how you can slip into madness, yet seem perfectly sane. :)

The Pilot did the rational choice given the current impossibility of returning home.
Keep up the excellent work, Macragge!:)

The Soviets, therefore, could not resist the temptation to throw away two missiles to "punish" the capitalist bankers; anyway, it seems that is not enough to break the iron will of our neighbors in the Alps.

Mind you, if they were going for the capitalist bankers, they should have targetted Zuerich. They've also left the Bank for International Settlements standing in Basel. That must be practically the only International Institution still standing, since Geneva, Washington and New York have been destroyed. I guess that it depends upon whether Vienna was hit. If it wasn't then the IAEA would have survived as well, which would be ironic.

Cheers,
Nigel.