Protect and Survive: A Timeline

This TL inspired me to watch The Bed Sitting Room again last night. If you never thought that nuclear war could be funny then watch it. :D

'God Bless, Mrs Ethel Shroake
'Long Live, Mrs Ethel Shroake
'Of 393A High Street, Leytonstone.'

Macragge1

Banned
in our leetle country, iced coffee is considered something of a delicacy.

(and, we refrigerate our beer, too!)

Don't get me wrong; I fucking love a nice iced coffee; I'm assuming they're made differently somehow to just leaving a hot one to go cold, because these just taste like wet misery.

Going off-topic from coffee for a second, the next updates coming within the next few days.

I'm no expert, but...

IIRC, the complex explosive system required for implosion rather than gun-type bombs means that any damage is likely to result in a nasty scattering of plutonium etc rather than leaving an intact device estivating in a shallow crater, slowly decaying to the point where corrosion or interference raises a mushroom...

Uh, this is partly based on the incident over Spain when, IIRC, a B52 collided with its tanker, and scattered devices ashore and into the sea...

Going off-topic from coffee for a second, the next updates coming within the next few days.

Excellent news. Any chance of a few Bed Sitting Room references? You could have survivors being told to 'keep moving'. I guess having people turn into buildings and furniture, or a new Monarch being the Queen's former char lady would be a step too far though. :D

The bomb plot in that film must have been pretty severe as there were supposed to be only 20 survivors. :eek:

Tovarich

Banned
Excellent news. Any chance of a few Bed Sitting Room references? You could have survivors being told to 'keep moving'. I guess having people turn into buildings and furniture, or a new Monarch being the Queen's former char lady would be a step too far though. :D

The bomb plot in that film must have been pretty severe as there were supposed to be only 20 survivors. :eek:

That film's way too ASB for this TL.
Arthur Lowe actually finds a working chocolate machine on the Underground!

Maybe these would have had anti-tamper booby traps.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Atomic_Demolition_Munition

New Year's Eve.

The one day, just one single day that we're allowed fireworks in the country I'm living in... just one... after being used to them for nearly a month a year, and that's not counting special occasions...the pressure goes up...

This should be release enough.

I know what I want now, to ring in the New year with. This.

Hello, Mr. Wilders.

I'm here to show you that I'm integrating into the community and assimilating my new country's customs.

Check THIS firecracker out!

:D

..Happy New Year!!!

LOL! :D

A bit unfair, though, I remember getting a bar of chocolate from a vending machine on the Tube. It was on the Circle Line as it happens, though was partly melted in the heat. :D

Someone on youtube was actually taking it seriously, accusing it of being anti-Scottish propaganda from the BBC because the new PM was not from the Outer Hebrides. They were also disputing that Mrs Ether Shroake could be from Leytonstone because it would be badly effected by radiation. :eek:
I think they missed the point somehow.

Spike's take on the film was that even after the Bomb as soon as enough people had died we'd all go back to rebuilding society as it was before with 'Barclay's Bank and Barclay cards' etc etc.

In a way the end of the film is more optimistic than Threads. :p

Don't get me wrong; I fucking love a nice iced coffee; I'm assuming they're made differently somehow to just leaving a hot one to go cold, because these just taste like wet misery.

update, good!

if you brew hot coffee, pour it over ice, add dairy product of your choice (or not), it's ice coffee. if your tepidly cold coffee was served over ice, it'd be a different experience, so I like to think.

Macragge1

Banned
I'm gonna have to watch The Bed Sitting Room - I've got it faved on Youtube, it's just a case of finding the time somewhere.

update, good!

if you brew hot coffee, pour it over ice, add dairy product of your choice (or not), it's ice coffee. if your tepidly cold coffee was served over ice, it'd be a different experience, so I like to think.

Well, you learn something new every day; in this thread, it's a relieving change that it's not just how many people would be killed if X dropped Y on Z, just for once. Might have to try it later actually.

Been browsing through TVTropes recently, and I do wonder where the P&S characters would turn up on that scale of 'Lawful Good/Neutral Evil' and w/e; I'd try to work it out myself but I don't really know if I understand the system.

I didn't have time to watch it all. I have seen it on BBC1 many years ago, though.
Btw Harry Seacombe appears as a 'Regional Seat of Government'.

ka-boom scene from The Day After, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VG2aJyIFrA&feature=related

for some reason, I didn't find it truly horrifying until I saw two mushroom clouds near-ish each other, like, one is quite bad, and, more than one? "This is not a drill."

someone on this thread mentioned "When The Wind Blows," another incredibly depressing movie if you watch it altogether.

in case you're jonesing for some depressing apocalyptic stuff, "We interrupt this program for an official government announcement," http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1PFEVayxxA

update, good!

I find it works better if you make the coffee then put it in a bottle in the fridge till its nice and cold works really well in the summer.