Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that for real, or purely fictional? I'm inclined to say fictional since it'd be hard to believe that so much of Quebec is "Canadian". :p

I changed some, but Quebec is the most canadian province for regions were that's a mjarity according to the base map. And Alberta is the only one with a French region.

A Magyar Wank:

View attachment 83956

Following Orel's lead.

:)

EDIT: Danish Empire, if you're wondering.

:)

Following the trend, the Bourbon Union.
View attachment 83960

This is from a side-project I'm working on.

While the PoD for it is in the first half of the 19th century it ends up having World Wars very similar to our own both in timing
(WW1 starts in 1913) and reason (WW2 is caused by WW1), but with different sides and backgrounds causing them.

Note: The map shows all nations who were members of either side at any period during the war.

*sniff* They're all....so beautiful...

Here's the original.
meh.png
Ok I was wrong, it was second after NB.

meh.png

Just a vague idea for a balkanised America TL. I haven't hashed out all the details yet, but it stems from a failed Constitution in the 1780s, followed by a failed USA in the 1790s (don't all balkanised America TLs :rolleyes:). After that . . . well as I said, I haven't exactly thought out all of the details. I'm thinking that Britain invades Louisiana during the Napoleonic Wars (Napoleon couldn't sell it to the US since there was no US to sell it to). However, during the invasion, the extreme southern portion of Louisiana declares independence along with Spanish West Florida to form the Republic of New Orleans. This new republic declares neutrality and Britain accepts that. Napoleon responds to losing Louisiana by funding a rebellion in Quebec. Quebec is initially a French puppet, but doesn't stay that way for very long. Spain later sells East Florida to Georgia. I also have an idea for a New England-New York War. New Jersey and Conneticutt nearly invaded New York in OTL because the insanely high tariffs that New York demanded for shipping through the port of NYC were ruining their economies. The other New England states support Conneticutt and New Jersey, but New York calls on British help, and together they are victorious. New York annexes New Jersey and Conneticutt, and Britain annexes Maine, merging it into New Brunswick. This begins a long period of close New York-UK relations, which includes New York buying part of southern Ontario. Russia keeps Alaska because no one wanted it. Eventually they decide to make the best of it and increase their colonization efforts, including buying parts of Canada from Britain. I figure that roundabout the late 1800s, Britain begins to let their American colonies go, with the Oregon territory separate from Canada because of cultural differences. (Oregon ITTL, has large Russian and Mexican minorities. Plus Oregon had been semi-self-governing since the 1840s and would resent being merged into Canada.) The Texas, California, Rio Grande, and Yucatan rebellions take place just like OTL. Texas and California gain independence, Rio Grande and Yucatan fail. Due to butterflies, Central America is much more stable, with the United Provinces of Central America staying together (no Panama though, it is still owned by Colombia). They eventually construct a canal through Nicaragua and make loads of money from it. Later there is a Great War analog (obviously completely different sides than OTL, and bearing little resemblance to out WWI due to butterflies). During this war, Mexico gets curbstomped by Canada, Texas, California, and Oregon. Oregon and Canada (along with a bunch of European nations, I haven't determined what the sides will be for this Great War) also gang up on Russia. After this war, Mexico gets Rio Grande and Yucatan carved off of it as new nations, California annexes the Baja peninsula, and Russia is forced to relinquish their American holdings (since they just called Alaska "Russian America" I'm going to call it New Russia). Also as a result of this war, Britain is convinced that they need to just stay out of North America completely, so they sell the Bahamas to Georgia, Jamaica and Belize to the newly formed Yucatan, and Newfoundland to New Brunswick. On a side note, Maryland (who Virginia had had ongoing border disputes with since the 1700s) gets annexed by Virginia in this war. This map is from the 1930s. At this point there is not dominant power in North America. Canada is the largest by land area and have a huge agricultural industry, but the population is small and they have no warm water ports, so they have to send things through foreign ports and they have no navy to speak of. New York, Virginia and Georgia are the biggest powers in the East, and Oregon and California are emerging powers in the west. Texas has an oil industry that is just beginning to take off, so that is also something to watch. Again, this is just the results of me brainstorming. I haven't given it too much though yet, but I was considering turning it into a TL. Would anybody be interested if I did?

I like it. I think Mexico would probably be the dominant power, but it still looks like a neat idea. BTW, what's with "Greater Cuba"?

I like it. I think Mexico would probably be the dominant power, but it still looks like a neat idea. BTW, what's with "Greater Cuba"?

Well, I figured that Mexico was probably the most powerful nation in North America before the Great War. Not overly dominant by any means, but definitely first among equals. But during the Great War they bite off more than they can chew and the combination of Canada, Oregon, California and Texas manage to knock them down a little. That's when they lost Rio Grande, Yucatan, and Baja. They would still be an important power, but no more so than Canada, Georgia, or any of the other large North American nations. Plus I imagine they'd have similar economic and social problems to OTL.

Greater Cuba is something that I hadn't given much thought to before posting the map. My original idea was that since a lot of the divisions in the Caribbean were caused by US intervention and rebellions inspired by the American Revolution, without these influences, the Caribbean would be more unified. Upon doing a little research I have dicovered that Cuba and Puerto Rico were originally granted limited autonomy in 1897 under the "Charters of Autonomy for Cuba and Puerto Rico." Without the US taking them both in the Spanish-American War, I could see them eventually being granted more and more autonomy together, and eventually independence as one nation. The Dominican Republic is another matter altogether. Its history is so chaotic already that butterflies could cause nearly anything to happen to it. In OTL it has at various times been ruled by Spain, France, and Haiti. It has also twice tried to get annexed by the US. It is not implausible to think that during one of these invasions/rebellions/coups someone might appeal to this Greater Cuba for aid. And if the DR was willing to be annexed by the US, who was culturally quite different than them, they would certainly be willing to be annexed by Greater Cuba. Although I think I might want to come up with a better name. Maybe Spanish Antillies, or The Caribbean Federation.

Nitpick: your Québec-USA border is along the St. Lawrence. This doesn't make much sense, as the St. Lawrence valley is basically the heartland of Québec; dividing it in half is more trouble for the inhabitants than it is convenience for the cartographers.

Québec (and Canada) were 'liberated' by the US, which basically drew the borders itself and wanted to ensure it maintained a strategic advantage.

Okay, so I stole someone's previous map (something to do with EU member states) and used it to create a very strange and... well, just look:

Bonus to those who can name the countries and some reasonable PoDs.

ASB.jpg

Nice map. Here's my guess:

Orange--Almoravid Caliphate
Dark Blue--Kdm. of Portugal w/ Casabranca exclave (I think that's the Portuguese spelling)
Neon Green--Kdm. of Andalusia
Yellow--Union of Castile and Navarre
Tan--Catalunian Kdm.
Pale Blue--Kdm. of France, Restored Carolingian Line (don't ask)
Off White--Helvetian Confederation
Green--Celtic Union
Pink--Albritannian Caliphate (just because)
Gray--Prussian Republic
Bronze--Austrobavarobohemian Republic
Red Brown--Republic of Venice
Green Blue--Papal Kdm. of the Five Sicilies
Pale Brown--Kdm. of Algiers
Pale Blue--Scandinavia, Habsburg faction (Civil war)
Steel Blue--Scandinavia, Republican faction (Civil war)
Pale Green--Kdm. of Tripoli w/ Rijeka exclave
Pale Orange--Kdm. of Hungary
Neon Red--Principality of Bosnia and Hertzegovina (Venetian-Papal joint rule)
Dark Red--Russia, Menshevik faction (Civil War)
Red--Russia w/ Beograd exclave, Bolshevik faction (Civil War)
Pale Yellow--Russia, Tsarist faction (Civil War)
Black--Russia, Third Way Fascist faction (Civil War)
Dark Gray--Republic of Rumania
White--Republic of Bulgaria
Neon Violet--Republic of Byzantium w/ Sebastoupolitan exclaves
Gold--Principality of Macedonia (Bulgarian-Byzantine joint rule)
Dark Green--Caliphate of Trebizond and Antioch
Pale Bronze--Republic of Persia
Dark Violet--Most Hebraic Kdm. of Yehudah
Dark Yellow--Republic of Arabia

All nations are Christian, except for
1) Persia, Arabia, and anything marked "Caliphate" (Muslim),
2) Yehudah (Jewish),
3) and anything ending in "-shevik" (Communist).

POD--1453--Byzantium wins against Ottoman Empire. Northern Africa (excepting the quasi-puritanical Almoravids) loses the Muslim faith and converts to Christianity, but a stronger Christianity gets Henry VIII so pissy that he up and converts to Islam--only England follows.

Last edited:
1986, week 25:
Hamburg and Frankfurt cut off from retreat.
Marines in Norway have reached the Swedish border.
Soviets falling back in Germany.
North Africa switched sides.

1986 week 25.PNG

Eurabia (dark blue, threeist dictatorship)
Chindia (pale green, threeist dictatorship)
Numerica (tan, threeist dictatorship)

Draka (orange, militarist monarchy)

Amerope (dark green, democracy)
Oceasia (yellow, democracy)

Switzerland (neutral)
Liberia (neutral)

disputed (grey)

numerica.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.