Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I go on, firstly I would like to say that I dislike this basemap, but I did'nt intend to go into detail, it was just a thought I had while walking,
secondly this took way longer than it fucking well should have.

The PoD is in the collapse of the Roman Empire, rather than totally collapsing it simply lost control of many areas, however after a century of
re-building and re-tooling it managed to re-assert itself, re-capturing all of it's Eastern lands, though losing control of almost all of the Western
continent and Britannia.

The New Roman Empire ended up adopting a new political system (similar to Rep. Democracy), this allowed for internal peace and stability.
In the 16th century a charismatic and dictatorial man became Praetor of the Republic, he would implement several unpopular programs, this,
among other factors lead to the Great diaspora which would give rise to a new nation in the New World.
After ten years in power the aforementioned leader was forcefully removed from power and publically executed (something that had become rare),
this lead to the 'Era of Reform', which saw voting rights extended to a much larger section of the populace and the official end of slavery,
though it had been de facto dead for over a century.
While the NRE expanded and integrated in Europe and some parts of North Africa it did not actually form any colonies, rather it adopted a system of
Protectorates (much more independent than IOTL).

In Western Europe the various people's and nations, lead by the Frankish Empire eventually formed a loose Confederation once the NRE began to rise,
in order to protect themselves from being re-absorbed, over time this evolved into the Europan Empire.
While the EuEm originally adopted a system based on the NRE one in terms of colonization, it dropped this soon after as it discovered that it was difficult
to nation-build in West Africa, instead it simply colonized and annexed these areas.
The EuEm, do to its size and diversity was forced to develop a Constitutional Monarchy relatively early on in the mid-14th century.
Slavery in all its formed was officially abolished in the mid-17th century.
The EuEm and NRE are in an on-again-off-again cold war of sorts, however the EuEm maintains cordial to good relations with the other powers and
most other states.

In the seventh century Mohammed was killed before Islam really took off, his wife, Aisha, would go on to replace him as the main founder and promoter
of ATL Islam.
The Aisha Caliphate is neutral towards it's neighbors for the most part, though it views Al-Madīnat as its ultimate enemy and usually has a minor war
once every 30-50 years with them. This hatred goes back to the very founding of the two states and religions.

The Al-Madīnat Empire was founded around the same time as the Aisha Caliphate.
As the story while in Medina Mohammed sought out the pleasures of the fairer sex, eventually bedding with a lady-of-the-evening, however he turned
out to be somewhat sadistic and did'nt know (or care) 'No', in the end the young woman, who'd only been doing it to survive killed Mohammed,
she would later on become known as the 'Goddess Medina', as her followers believed she had been made a divine Prophet as payment for her early life.
Al-Madīnat is among the most progressive, egalitarian and technologically advanced nations, thanks to the rather liberal and anti-fundamentalist
nature of Medinism.

The Persian Empire has continued on, suffering few major internal disasters, the greatest internal problems it's suffered have been making its Buddhist
and Zoroastrian populations (95% of the populace) happy.
The Persian Empire is one of e the richest and advanced nations do to its position as a center of trade between Europe, Africa and Asia.

The Dragon Alliance, a military alliance between the four Empires of East Asia was originally formed out of mutual-interests, initially to combat piracy
and protect economic assets in SE Asia, it was later enhanced as they became concerned about the Western powers influence into Asia.
The single greatest victory the Alliance has had was successfully and permanently driving the Mongol hordes into Central Asia.

The Republic of Vinlandia was established following the Great Diaspora in the NRE, over time, through conquest and diplomacy the entirety of the
Vinlandia continent has been united into a single (Federative) Republic.
Vinlandia has good relations with the NRE and is allied with the Nordic Union.
Vinlandia is generally isolationist leaning, only focusing on its own hemisphere and South Oceania, where it has territory and a protectorate.
At the present time Vinlandia and the NRE are working on plans for establishing nations on the Australian continent and is in the process of nation building
in Equaterra.

The Vice-Republic of Equaterra is a loose Confederation of states and peoples inhabiting the Equaterran continent, it's a relatively new nation and is
in the process of integration and nation-building.

The Nordic Union was formed as a union of the Nordic peoples in the 14th century.
The NU is relatively isolationist, not being concerned with international matters unless they directly or severely indirectly affect it.

NR World Map.png

Last edited:
Ok, the SupeRussia is starting to wind down in 1987. Revolutions in South Africa and Zambia threw off the Communist shackles. Other Red governments in Africa are falling apart, plunging their states into civil war. Islamic uprisings are taking place in the Mideast. Soviet forces in East Asia have for the most part been recalled to the Rodina. Indian forces have landed on the Arabian Peninsula. NATO is turning back the tide, as dissent in Eastern Europe is threatening to destroy Soviet Power.

Don't worry, these ugly maps will soon be retired, just a couple more years.

Soviet Wank 1987.PNG

For a resume project on 100 years of solitude, I decided to make a map (because being a map thread lurker I couldn't resist). It was on Melquiades' life, and I tried to make it mystical enough that it seems he lives forever, and one can never be sure of the dates. Feedback?

PS sorry for the BAM.

Melquiades Map lables.png

You will regret those words.
Aye, the Wiki Basemap is the Adam and Eve of all basemaps. I grew up with it, It cherished me, and it has been my faithful friend all these long years.

But yeah, that basemap is the best for everything. We poor people who don't have PS utilize it to it's fullest extent.

Thande

Donor
For a resume project on 100 years of solitude, I decided to make a map (because being a map thread lurker I couldn't resist). It was on Melquiades' life, and I tried to make it mystical enough that it seems he lives forever, and one can never be sure of the dates. Feedback?

PS sorry for the BAM.

Very, very original and cool concept for a map, though I think it would be better if the land had a colour such as perhaps a gradation of pale green. Also, was Karl Marx ever in Moscow? :confused:

The base map looks like the usual of that type but looking at it, it seems as if some of the details of the coasts do not match the other format layout coasts.

Well SRegan's map did have some rough edges but it was pretty good. Don't worry though, Master Q. is on the job.

I think that's the AH.com "Diamond" Basemap, not the Wikipedia one, old boy.

You're probably right- I remember going on a download spree on finding new types of basemaps all over the AH wiki.

I got really, really, bored so I did a 10 minute addition to my old map.

4-6 months after the steady start of the media-dubbed "World War Three" (NATO and the USSR have not yet recognized it by this title):

0912 July 3rd 1984

1985.png

0632 November 12th 1987

1987.png

Last edited:
V2 over Communism!

This super quick series of maps is actually a very rough backstory to my TL. The backstory is pretty much a Soviet/Sino dominated Earth, so NATO (Or GTO, as it should be by now ITTL) had no miraculous deus ex machina to save themselves

Final lazy one, and maybe I'll put more effort into research tommorow:

1345 hours May 9th 1988

1988.png

(White dots in the Middle East are anti-Soviet terrorist groups. Blue dots in India are anti-Sino GTO remnants, though since I'm not sure of India's geopolitical landscape, I just randomly popped them in).

Last edited:
Aye, the Wiki Basemap is the Adam and Eve of all basemaps. I grew up with it, It cherished me, and it has been my faithful friend all these long years.

But yeah, that basemap is the best for everything. We poor people who don't have PS utilize it to it's fullest extent.

I don't use PhotoShop, since I don't have it, I considered getting it, but I neverr eally liked it when I used it at school.

All my maps, except when I have to resize it, are done using MS Paint.

1988: NATO and the Soviet Empire are exhausted from more than a decade of warfare. The Islamic revolution continues to spread.

Soviet Wank 1988.PNG

1989: Finally, there is peace in our time. The Treaty of Prague ends World War III (and without a single nuke being busted over anybody's head). China's sphere of influence has grown. Alaska has become independent as a neutral. Finland and Afganastan are ind. Reds. Mongolia and the Far East are under China's control. The Warsaw Pact is dissolved and Poland, Czechaslavokia, Hungary and Yugoslavia topple their Red governments. Austria joins NATO. Best of all, you won't have to see this format of map again.

The End.

Soviet Wank 1989.PNG

Just starting to experiment with GIMP-- blurs, textures, and fiddling around with paths. The map's hardly a serious TL, mind.

POD is a surviving Roanoke colony. With English manpower low and Indian support seeming spotty, Sir Walter Raleigh engages in an advertisement and public relations blitz in England proper in an attempt to lure in more voluntary colonists. As part of the ad campaign, Raleigh rechristens the Virginia colony with a more alluring name, evocative of the riches of the Orient.

Although Queen Elizabeth was personally displeased with the name change, "Pepperland" becomes a smashing success, drawing in many Englishmen (and -women) searching for riches, adventure, or just a decent spot of land for themselves.

Pepperland does not develop without its own troubles, though. After the French seizure of the New Netherlands in 1633, it became apparent that the Bourbon kings of France had designs on the whole of North America. Colonial wars flashed every few decades for centuries, culminating in the 1864-69 Colonial War (which coincided with British intervention in the Franco-Saxon War on the Continent), which very nearly marked the end of British Pepperland. Although Pepperlanders celebrated the defeat of the northern "Blue-coated meanies" of New France (and marked the occassion with the creation of their own military-themed national personification, Sgt. Pepper), it would not be the last time Frenchmen would despoil the territories of Pepperland...

bluemeanieinvasion.png

Status
Not open for further replies.