For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

Did not realize it was Friday and accidentally clicked some spoilers. Will probably be a few weeks before my friend and I get back together for the episode. Is it the finale? Or is there two left?

Predictions/Hopes:

Given that I think the aim is to head towards a more hopeful, Trek-like timeline:

- The asteroid ends up with Mars, whether in orbit or crashed to the surface.
- Margo defects back to the US, possibly heading to Mars
- Ed dies in a blaze of glory
- I think Dev dies also, Aleida takes over Helios. Aleida is probably being setup to be this timeline's Zephram Cochrane at some point
- Mars gets full or partial autonomy
- Mars becomes major hub for spacecraft construction
- Gorby or one of his allies regains power in the USSR
- Kelly discovers microbial life on Mars
- Danielle dies or retires for good
- We're headed to the Jovian system for season 5 - Mission launched from Mars. Assuming life is found on Mars, I think they will want to send missions to look for life on Titan, Europa, or Ganymede.
- Series will end with some sort of interstellar mission (season 7?)
- Season 5 should have almost none of the characters left from Season 1. I think Margo *might* still be around after the next time skip.

Predictions/Hopes:

Given that I think the aim is to head towards a more hopeful, Trek-like timeline:

- The asteroid ends up with Mars, whether in orbit or crashed to the surface.
- Margo defects back to the US, possibly heading to Mars
- Ed dies in a blaze of glory
- I think Dev dies also, Aleida takes over Helios. Aleida is probably being setup to be this timeline's Zephram Cochrane at some point
- Mars gets full or partial autonomy
- Mars becomes major hub for spacecraft construction
- Gorby or one of his allies regains power in the USSR
- Kelly discovers microbial life on Mars
- Danielle dies or retires for good
- We're headed to the Jovian system for season 5 - Mission launched from Mars. Assuming life is found on Mars, I think they will want to send missions to look for life on Titan, Europa, or Ganymede.
- Series will end with some sort of interstellar mission (season 7?)
- Season 5 should have almost none of the characters left from Season 1. I think Margo *might* still be around after the next time skip.

I don't think that Ed will die in a blaze of glory. That's what he wants - that's clearly what he's wanted for a long time so in my mind, the most narratively satisfying ending for him is to finally settle down, be there for his daughter and grandson, and die of old age. The best ending for him isn't him being able to get away with everything but truly owning up to his faults and confronting his fear of his old age. I suppose you could argue that the best ending would be for him to ironically go in a blaze of glory after owning up and realizing that he wants to be there for his family but I think there hasn't been enough time to set that up.

I think he will die in the timegap between 4 and 5 or he will be retired in Season 5 (but living on a larger expanded Mars) acting as a mentor to his grandson and will die within the first couple of episodes.

I do think Danielle will die though. She's given too many death flags - looking forward to being a grandma, outright saying she would give her life for the Mars colony, etc.

I suspect Season 5 will Alex Poletov as a main/recurring character as the first person to really grow up on Mars (if we skip around ten years or more, he'll be eighteen or older) and they will switch out his actor. I do agree that none of the characters from Season 1 should be in Season 5, the exception being Aleida who I have a strong feeling will be there (and Ed as previously outlined). I'm not sure Margo will be.

I also don't think Mars will get independence until near the end of the series because both the ability and the will to do so is just not there yet and when it does become independent, Alex will be one of the main people behind it.

I agree that Kelly will discover Microbial life. Dev might die but not this season I think. I think we might have another season on Mars but if we do go to the Jovian Moons, I could see my theory of Ed dying near the beginning of season 5 inspiring Kelly and/or Alex to go be part of that mission. I just think that the intervening ten years will have significantly expanded the Mars colony after the asteroid goes to Mars and with Kelly breaking the barrier, more people will bring their kids there leading to a very different culture.

So what are your predictions for how earth will change between a season 4 and five (if we get one?)

Here are my guesses

• McCain is elected president 2004 and servers two terms, we cut to mid 2010s and see Obama or I hope a fictional president
  • or Gore survives in 2004 and we see a fictional president take over
  • More Soviet problems.
  • Japan?
  • Aleida takes over Helios after Dev leaves/dies

mattep74

Kicked
I miss how the show was in S1 and S2, mostly about space exploration. Not so much politics, black market and everyone pissed at eachother

I miss how the show was in S1 and S2, mostly about space exploration. Not so much politics, black market and everyone pissed at eachother
Honestly… yeah, I miss that too. It feels like just another science fiction show now, and not the alternate history that grabbed my interest.

Whew... Not sure what to think about that

- I'm a bit surprised nobody ended up dying. I guess it follows with the more hopeful direction of this timeline but I figured they would want to retire the older characters.
- I was worried with the torture scene that they were going to follow the usual tropes but they thankfully didn't, and showed that torture truly is pointless
- I would love to hear from people who know the science whether or not the EVA under burn was realistic or not? Seems like G-forces would preclude an EVA?
- There had better be a season 5 because there are so many questions. I have a feeling that in 2012 Mars will be if not independent then very nearly so. Mars is holding all the cards now and if interests on Earth want any of the Iridium, they're going to have to play by Mars' rules.
- Seeing that the North Korean guy was able to have his wife sent to Mars means to me that Mars is already wielding it's influence.
- The ending hinted that maybe the Soviet Union is maybe back under Gorbachev or his allies considering what happened to Irina.
- By 2012, the season 1 characters will be in their 80s or older, so it will be interesting to see where they will be. I can see Ed being the president of Mars or something. Danielle should be retired and on Earth being a grandma... or maybe...
- I hope they give us a fictional president for 2012. Maybe Danielle? That would be an interesting conflict Ed as president of Mars vs Danielle president of US.
- Are they really going to have Kelly discover microbes on Mars during the timeskip?
- It seems like Dev will still be around, so Aleida might end up going back to NASA and maybe by 2012 will be heading it up?
- Season 5 seems like we're moving towards something akin to the Expanse. Maybe the main crux of the season will be about Martian independence. Hopefully there will be another major space mission. (Jovian moons? Asteroid belt?)
- Likely we'll probably see the first war in space, where somebody is going to try to seize Kuznetsov station and/or prevent Martian independence. I really don't want this series to turn into the Expanse, and I'm hoping this timeline moves closer to Star Trek eventually but we shall see.

Whew... Not sure what to think about that

- I'm a bit surprised nobody ended up dying. I guess it follows with the more hopeful direction of this timeline but I figured they would want to retire the older characters.
- I was worried with the torture scene that they were going to follow the usual tropes but they thankfully didn't, and showed that torture truly is pointless
- I would love to hear from people who know the science whether or not the EVA under burn was realistic or not? Seems like G-forces would preclude an EVA?
- There had better be a season 5 because there are so many questions. I have a feeling that in 2012 Mars will be if not independent then very nearly so. Mars is holding all the cards now and if interests on Earth want any of the Iridium, they're going to have to play by Mars' rules.
- Seeing that the North Korean guy was able to have his wife sent to Mars means to me that Mars is already wielding it's influence.
- The ending hinted that maybe the Soviet Union is maybe back under Gorbachev or his allies considering what happened to Irina.
- By 2012, the season 1 characters will be in their 80s or older, so it will be interesting to see where they will be. I can see Ed being the president of Mars or something. Danielle should be retired and on Earth being a grandma... or maybe...
- I hope they give us a fictional president for 2012. Maybe Danielle? That would be an interesting conflict Ed as president of Mars vs Danielle president of US.
- Are they really going to have Kelly discover microbes on Mars during the timeskip?
- It seems like Dev will still be around, so Aleida might end up going back to NASA and maybe by 2012 will be heading it up?
- Season 5 seems like we're moving towards something akin to the Expanse. Maybe the main crux of the season will be about Martian independence. Hopefully there will be another major space mission. (Jovian moons? Asteroid belt?)
- Likely we'll probably see the first war in space, where somebody is going to try to seize Kuznetsov station and/or prevent Martian independence. I really don't want this series to turn into the Expanse, and I'm hoping this timeline moves closer to Star Trek eventually but we shall see.
I mean I am tired of real presidents in TL as after a point it would be fictional people.

Also Mars illegal immigration.

One thing I will say about For All Mankind is that it's means that Alternate History (and especially Alternate History beyond "what if the Nazis won WWII") has gone fairly mainstream. Especially if we're getting a Season 5.

Zor

One thing I will say about For All Mankind is that it's means that Alternate History (and especially Alternate History beyond "what if the Nazis won WWII") has gone fairly mainstream. Especially if we're getting a Season 5.

Zor
Huzzah!

Zor
While I love the show, we mustn't forget that Man in the High Castle walked so FAM could run. Amazon took a big risk especially when there were other more palatable alternate histories that they could make and while the show's end still hurts me by how bad it was managed, it did much to break the Alt History curse.

While I love the show, we mustn't forget that Man in the High Castle walked so FAM could run. Amazon took a big risk especially when there were other more palatable alternate histories that they could make and while the show's end still hurts me by how bad it was managed, it did much to break the Alt History curse.
I'd argue that the waters were first tested by Wolfenstein: The New Order and The New Colossus. It's a different medium and it is using the "Nazi Victory" PoD and it leans into the fanciful, but it was A: was well made and B: accessible to a general audience.

Zor

While Devs's cabal got what they anted, I don't see realistically how any of this would end well for them. They just made fools of global super powers and cost them trillions of dollars.

There is zero chance they wouldn't be arrested and deported back to Earth following the events of the last episode.

The only way I could see it working would be if the riot against the base security force snowballed into the Helios workers taking over Happy Valley. A position of strength, along with evidence of the torture and abuse of the workers, from which they could negotiate

While Devs's cabal got what they anted, I don't see realistically how any of this would end well for them. They just made fools of global super powers and cost them trillions of dollars.

There is zero chance they wouldn't be arrested and deported back to Earth following the events of the last episode.

The only way I could see it working would be if the riot against the base security force snowballed into the Helios workers taking over Happy Valley. A position of strength, along with evidence of the torture and abuse of the workers, from which they could negotiate

This is presumably why Morozova is being given the old KGB once over. Korzhenko is going to be looking for any donkey to pin the tail on once the abuses at Happy Valley come out, and Morozova, is an easy person to pin it on, she ordered the interrogations, backed Margo's suggestions and ultimately lost Russia and Earth the asteroid riches.

But yes, presumably there was some sort of declaration off screen, a fully independent city state or a client state of a neutral country. I guess we will find out in 18 months.

I'd argue that the waters were first tested by Wolfenstein: The New Order and The New Colossus. It's a different medium and it is using the "Nazi Victory" PoD and it leans into the fanciful, but it was A: was well made and B: accessible to a general audience.

Zor
The Amazon Man in the High Castle series was being produced several months before The New Order came out.