A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

Section CXLV: April 1537
Falkland, April 1537

“You cannot marry Mistress Eleanor!”

The door has scarcely swung shut on James’s bedchamber before he is rounding on his brother, apoplectic with fury.

Sawney, darker and cooler-tempered, if rather more exuberant, than his older brother, merely arches a sardonic eyebrow in the face of James’s screaming rage.

“Can’t I, brother? I quite believed I already had.”

“A secret wedding, full of skulduggery before some drunk, half-blind priest?! That won’t cut it for the heir to Scotland! You need my permission to wed, and I can assure you, I’m not giving it!”

“Actually,” Sawney retaliates, leaning his weight back on one leg, “I don’t. I’m your brother, not your son. You don’t control me the way you would a Duke of Rothesay. I only needed your permission to wed if I sought to marry while I was underage. I turned twenty-one two years ago, meaning that, whichever yardstick you use, I’m of age and of sound mind, as is Nora. As such, by the laws of the Holy Mother Church, all we need to do for our wedding to be considered valid is to exchange vows in the present tense before witnesses and then consummate said vows. We said our vows on the morning of Twelfth Night, in the presence of Sir George and Lady Katheryn Boleyn and all their retainers at Kilkenny Castle. James Boleyn’s confessor himself oversaw our vows. I assure you, there was nothing secret about this wedding. As for consummation, well, I’m your brother, Jamie. You know me. Do you really think I’d leave my marital duties undone for a full four months?”

“I’ll not stand for it! I’ll petition the Holy Father to have the match annulled! It’s an insult to Cousin Mary’s memory that you should wed her maid before her year mind has even passed – before she even lies in her final resting place!”

“Oh, that’s rich! As if you ever really cared about upholding Mary’s honour! You let Louise scorn and belittle her at every turn, just because of who her father was! Why does Mary’s honour suddenly mean that much more to you, just because she’s dead?”

“Louise is my wife! Of course I’d take her side!” James rears back from his brother’s sharp words in shock. They haven’t fought like this in years, not since they were old enough to understand their relative positions as King and subject as much as brothers. Ever since then, the generally mild-mannered Sawney has always done whatever he can to stop any disagreement from going beyond a minor quarrel.

Now, though, the younger man has the fury of righteousness coursing through his veins and the bit between his teeth. Sensing his brother’s discomfort, he goes for the jugular.

“And Mary was mine! Mary was my wife, not yours, Jamie! I knew her and loved her in a way you never did, for all she was your hostess for four years!”

“I know that, but that just makes your betrayal -”

“Mary asked me to marry Nora!”

The words fall into the rage-filled room like stones into a well. James starts visibly and Alexander pauses, struggling to get a hold of himself.

“Mary asked me to marry Nora,” he repeats, breathing hard, dredging the painful truth up from the most private parts of himself, praying that, if he lays himself bare, it will be enough to make his beloved older brother understand.

“After she’d given birth to Mary Katherine, when we knew there was nothing more the midwives could do for her, she lay in my arms and she asked me to marry Nora, so that I might have a good and faithful wife, and our children might have a loving stepmother. It was the last thing I ever promised her. So, I’m sorry, Jamie, but I’ll marry Nora, come what may. Throw whatever you will at me – at us – but I will marry her in spite of it all. She’s the only second Duchess I’ll ever accept. Because she’s the one Mary chose for me.”

To his horror, Alexander hears his voice crack. He hurriedly turns away from his brother, so that Jamie won’t see the tears that are threatening to fall.

An awful silence permeates the room. James watches his brother’s back, digesting the heartfelt revelation.

“Don’t take her to Birgham,” he says heavily, when the words finally come, “Aunt Katherine will be there, Meg will be there. It’s going to be emotional enough without the salt of your remarriage being rubbed into the wounds. So leave Nora at home while you honour Mary one last time. But if you promise me that, then I’ll support you. I’ll back your marriage against our sister’s fury and against Uncle Henry’s. I’ll even back you against Louise. She’s not going to like having to acknowledge a nameless miss as her sister.”

James tries for humour, nodding teasingly towards his young wife’s pride, but the joke falls flat, for Sawney, who usually jumps right in on this kind of thing, is in no mood to respond.

James waits for a few moments, but when the younger man still says nothing, neither in agreement nor discord, he steps over and places a gentle hand against the younger man’s back.

“Sawney. I need an answer from you. Do we have a deal?”

There is a long silence. Then Sawney swallows hard, Adam’s apple bobbing visibly, and nods.

I have a feeling that Nora isn’t going to like being told that she can’t go to Mary’s memorial…maybe she’ll understand once Alexander explains that it was how he got James to accept their marriage, though she may then say that Alexander should’ve asked her first if she was ok with that

Last edited:
I have a feeling that Nora isn’t going to like being told that she can’t go to Mary’s memorial…maybe she’ll understand once Alexander explains that it was how he got James to accept their marriage, though she may then say that Alexander should’ve asked her first if she was ok with that first
Yeah. I would be pissed if I had to miss out on my best friend’s memorial ceremony. Although, they could at least go to it later and have their own private ceremony

Damn what an emotional scene between both brothers, glad to see James was convinced at least...
As I said, invoking Mary was possibly the most sensible thing Sawney could do at that point...
I have a feeling that Nora isn’t going to like being told that she can’t go to Mary’s memorial…maybe she’ll understand once Alexander explains that it was how he got James to accept their marriage, though she may then say that Alexander should’ve asked her first if she was ok with that
Yeah. I would be pissed if I had to miss out on my best friend’s memorial ceremony. Although, they could at least go to it later and have their own private ceremony
A fair point. I should probably write that scene...
Nora not going to Birgham is probably a good idea.

I can just see Nora going in disguise anyway.
Well, Thomas Boleyn definitely *thinks* she's going...

Mary is the one person whose memory would coax James into accepting the match. And this is only James. I'm saying nothing about Louise or Henry (although Meg Douglas will give in easily too - she's not blind and she's known for years that Nora and Sawney are besotted with one another... )
Yes, Margaret Douglas actually has eyes and a brain. And she's not stupid enough to delude herself otherwise. She knows Sawney and Nora are besotted with one another.

Louise is going to be furious but if Sawney invokes Mary to Henry, it could be seen as a good thing: he loved Mary enough to honour her dying wish, even if the others don't like it.

i mean yeah but what can she do besides throw a tantrum? james has already acquiesced to the match and given as he is alexander's brother and liege lord for his lands, his is the only opinion that really matters
It’ll be good for Louise to be told no. It’ll be a growing experience.

Louise is going to be furious but if Sawney invokes Mary to Henry, it could be seen as a good thing: he loved Mary enough to honour her dying wish, even if the others don't like it.
Ooh, that's a good point, actually... Not that I was planning on writing their interaction, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.
i mean yeah but what can she do besides throw a tantrum? james has already acquiesced to the match and given as he is alexander's brother and liege lord for his lands, his is the only opinion that really matters
I suppose she could refuse to receive Nora in her own rooms, and refuse to do things like name her godmother to any of the Royal children. Little marks of disfavour like that. But she can't do anything major, no.
It’ll be good for Louise to be told no. It’ll be a growing experience.
Oh, she was told no plenty as a child. She's not spoilt in the conventional sense of the word. But she's become more unbearable because, now that her mother and older sister are no longer around to outrank her, her new-found power and position has gone to her head.
That was beautifully and powerfully written.
Thank you!
I was actually surprised by the fact that both brothers acted reasonably and were able to reach a solution.
Sawney and James are definitely the cooler-headed branch of the family. Yeah, Nora's not going to be thrilled about missing Mary's funeral, but in the scheme of things, what's one ceremony compared to years of wedded bliss?
I felt it was rather anti-climactic.
Well, maybe, but what's James supposed to do? Sawney is right, both he and Nora are of age and of sound mind, and it's not like they need a dispensation. James has no real leg to stand on when it comes to resisting their marriage, and he knows it.

Well, maybe, but what's James supposed to do? Sawney is right, both he and Nora are of age and of sound mind, and it's not like they need a dispensation. James has no real leg to stand on when it comes to resisting their marriage, and he knows it.
They still needed James' permission. Katherine Grey comes to mind as someone who hadn't her monarch's permission and paid the price.

They still needed James' permission. Katherine Grey comes to mind as someone who hadn't her monarch's permission and paid the price.
Katherine Grey wasn't the definite heiress to England, though, and she hadn't wed/had children for the sake of England before wedding a second time for love.

It's a very different scenario to Sawney and Nora.

James would be a lot harsher on his brother if Bobby didn't exist, I suspect, but as it's Mary's children who stand to inherit Scotland, not Nora's, he can relax a little more and be more lenient.

Not really. Scotland had no law who required royal consent for marriages (and neither England or France had one at this point) so James had no way to block or forbidden his brother’s remarriage

I want to preface this by saying that I really like this timeline and I enjoy 95%+ of it but this Sawney/Nora part, well, it hits an ick factor for me, I guess (it reminds of Lavinia’s death in Downton Abbey which I also hated for being too neat). I think I could get behind it more if Mary, Sawney, and Nora were some version of a throuple, vee shaped triad, etc. or if there was more backlash against Sawney and Nora or we get to see mixed emotions from one or both of them but for the time being, things are just too neat for my taste with Mary dying in childbirth and giving Sawney and Nora her blessing and James accepting the match pretty easily. I also agree with James that the marriage came too soon after Mary’s death.

Anyway, this is just one reader’s perspective and this is your story and you should write it the way that you want, I wouldn’t expect you to change things to suit me, and I am going to continue to read and be subscribed but I did want to offer my two cents.