A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

What would be the main ones?
Cardinals are higher ranked. They can choose and be the next pope.

Izzy is right. Cardinals are at the top tier of the Church hierarchy, just a level behind the Pope, who they elected and usually is one of them, and they depend directly from Rome, meaning who they are all members of the Church of Rome (as their titular church is there) and not of the local ones (unlike regular Bishops and Archbishops)

Izzy is right. Cardinals are at the top tier of the Church hierarchy, just a level behind the Pope, who they elected and usually is one of them, and they depend directly from Rome, meaning who they are all members of the Church of Rome (as their titular church is there) and not of the local ones (unlike regular Bishops and Archbishops)
To be more specific, bishops govern an ecclesiastical territory (a diocese or, in the case of archbishops, an entire province). Cardinals are the people the Pope selects who, for the past thousand years or so, have been the ones to elect the new pope. Cardinals do not have to be bishops or archbishops -- there have even been cardinals, historically, who weren't even priests.

But yes, executing a cardinal might be a pretty big step.

Which is I think is what I am going to end up doing with him, but things must be discussed for the sake of honour on both sides...
It could always be the compromise. France is allowed to execute the Cardinal and the Pope can replace him with someone more pliable. It's a win-win; The Papacy gets what it wants... and Francois gets glorious revenge.

It could always be the compromise. France is allowed to execute the Cardinal and the Pope can replace him with someone more pliable. It's a win-win; The Papacy gets what it wants... and Francois gets glorious revenge.
I like that! An elegant solution for a difficult problem...

Things do not work like that. Anything more than stripping a Cardinal of his French revenues and offices and exiling him from France (sending him to Rome with a request of imprisonment) and Francis will quickly find himself excommunicated (who would also mean who his Catholic subjects are freed from owing him loyalty and obedience).