Part 1: Of Bandits and Princes
------------------
Part 1: Of Bandits and Princes

If history can, with much effort made by those who study it, be considered a series of smaller, usually predictable (and often romantic) narratives intertwined with one another - all protagonized by kingdoms and empires which formed, grew and fell apart, some suddenly and others in a matter of decades or even centuries - then the Ottoman Empire's condition by the end of the 18th century seemed to be nothing short of the final act of a long tragedy. For more than 200 years (from at least the 1400s until the Treaty of Karlowitz in 1699), the empire led by Osman's descendants was a force whose military might was feared by all of Europe, and even after its expulsion from Hungary it was still to repel further Austrian attacks in the Balkans and even retake some lost territory. But years upon years of corruption, incompetent or outright insane sultans, and the failure to modernize its military and administrative apparatus all took their toll on the Sublime Porte, whose weaknesses were revealed in a most humiliating manner in the Russo-Turkish War of 1768-1774. The loss of the Crimean Khanate in this conflict, and Constantinople's failure to recover it in a subsequent war that only led to the loss of even more land, made it clear to the empire's ruling class that something had to be done before it was too late.

Of course, implementing the necessary reforms turned out to be a challenge in of itself. The authority of Selim III, the sultan at that critical time, barely mattered beyond the suburbs of Constantinople, and it could be argued that he barely had control over what went on inside the walls of the Topkapi Palace. Rumelia, once a core territory of the empire, was awash with bandits thanks to the socioeconomic disruption caused by the last wars, making an already fragile treasury even weaker. The biggest issue to deal with, however, was the immense power held by the Janissaries, who had long since ceased to be an elite military force and were now nothing more than corrupt kingmakers, and the ayans, autonomous lords who took over local administrations and not only hoarded to themselves the taxes they were supposed to send to the central government, but set up dynasties. Two of the most extreme examples of this decentralization were Ali Pasha of Yanina and Osman Pazvantoglu of Vidin, whose power was so great they consorted with foreign ambassadors.
440px-Ali_Pasha_Tepelenli_of_Ioannina_Drawn_from_nature_on_14_March_at_Butrint_Lake%2C_by_Louis_Dupr%C3%A9_-_1827.jpg
434px-Osman_Pazvanto%C4%9Flu.jpg

Ali Pasha and Osman Pazvantoglu, respectively.

One character whose biography provides a very revealing insight into Ottoman affairs during the 1790s is Kara Feyzi, a soldier turned bandit whose area of influence covered much of Thrace and the Balkan Mountains (1). Far from a mere criminal, he established an complex organization made up of Muslims and Christians alike, who had no qualms about stealing from their religious brethren. At the same time, however, said organization also served as an intermediary of sorts between the villages and towns in which they had a presence (and were almost always under the control of an ayan) and the Sublime Porte, a relationship that would, in other circumstances, have been nothing more than yet another example of the Ottoman authorities' tendency to coopt bandits whenever possible, both to preserve order and to redirect their destructive activities against foreign enemies. This wasn't the case with Kara Feyzi's network, which took advantage of the state's weakness to grow to an unprecedented size and plunder much of Rumelia as a result.

But at the same time the rise and growth of this shadowy empire was a sympton of the rot within the Ottoman government, its ultimate fate was an omen of the change that was to come. On June 28 1797, Kara Feyzi launched an attack against the retinue of a local notable named Osman Usta near the town of Çirmen, in Thrace. The undertaking was not only a failure, but decapitated the organization in a single stroke: the notorious bandit was slain along with more than thirty men, many of whom were some of his most trusted lieutenants (2). Subsequent reports showed that while banditry remained a persistent phenomenon in the Rumelian countryside (it always was, for the whole empire), it took on a less cohesive character for the next few years, providing the sultan and his allies with an invaluable window of time to reassert their authority.

A new order was rising.

------------------
Notes:

(1) So I found out about this guy while reading a book called Economies of Violence, which describes him as a "warrior-entrepreneur".
Here's a sci-hub link.

(2) Kara Feyzi survived IOTL, and his network continued to prosper into the early 1800s as the Porte realized it had no chance of destroying it for good. With him dead Selim III has one less thorn on his side, for the moment.

First, an explanation.

I've had a profound fascination with the Ottoman Empire since my childhood, when I played Age of Empires 3 almost religiously, and my interest grew even further once I learned it existed from the late Middle Ages until the beginning of the 20th century. It should come as no surprise that one of the first TLs I ever read on this site was the first version of @Nassirisimo's With the Crescent Above Us, which I can't recommend enough.

Second, a clarification:
  1. This TL won't be a long one. While there's always a chance I might expand it in the future, my plan for now is to restrict it to Selim III's reign, maybe with some tidbits about the Napoleonic Wars and Qajar Persia here and there;
  2. Because of this, those who may be afraid I might neglect my other works (The Jaguar's Roar and A Drop in the Bucket) have nothing to fear;
  3. Even if I do expand the TL, it won't go past 1899. There's more than enough interesting stuff to explore in the 19th century, from the Latin American wars of independence to imperialism and the Qing dynasty;
  4. Last but not least, this TL will be neither an Ottoman wank nor a screw for anyone else. There's one particular country that might be screwed, but only if I expand its scope.

Last edited:
Always great to see another Ottoman timeline around here. The idea of Selim's reforms being successful is a rather interesting one as it gives the empire a good 30+ years of reform, and at a critical time when Europe is concerned with some Corsican rampaging around the continent.

Trying to restore order throughout the empire will be a very tall order, but it is one crucial for the empire to recover its authority and for the internal situation to improve. If the empire gets another few decades of stability in which it's economy can grow and the government assert authority, it will be far better placed for the 19th century. I look forward to seeing what will happen next!

Oh, and thanks for the shout out.

Part 2: The First Steps
------------------
Part 2: The First Steps

The package of reforms spearheaded by Selim III, known as a whole by the name of the Nizam-i Cedid ("New Order"), was only the latest in a long series of unsuccessful attempts by multiple sultans and grand viziers to clean up the rot that had begun to set in the Ottoman military and bureaucracy since at least the early 17th century. The first and by far the most famous of these failures was Osman II's plan to replace the Janissaries with an army of Anatolian sekbans (salaried irregular troops who had a propensity to engage in brigandage whenever unemployed), which led to his regicide by their hands at the age of 17. Other attempts were made a few decades before Selim's accession, with the hiring of French military officers such as Claude Alexandre de Bonneval and François Baron de Tott, but these initiatives withered due to the complacency brought about by events such as the reconquest of Belgrade from the Austrians in 1739.

Naturally, the losses suffered during the Russo-Turkish wars of 1768-74 and 1787-92 destroyed said complacency quite thoroughly. It was, in fact, during the end stages of the latter conflict that the first foundations of the Nizam-i Cedid were laid, with grand vizier Koca Yusuf Pasha assembling a small unit made up of Russian prisoners and members of his personal guard, which was then trained in the use of modern weapons and tactics. The initiative had to be kept at a very small scale during its early stages, lest the grand vizier - and eventually the sultan, who was positively impressed after learning of it - risk incurring the wrath of the Janissaries, and so the new troops were stationed outside of Constantinople until they were strong enough to defend themselves. Foreign officers were hired to serve as instructors and advisors over the next few years, with a certain Napoleon Bonaparte almost joining in before his crackdown of the 13 Vendémiaire royalist coup attempt made him a national hero in France (1).

429px-Le_grand_vizir_Youssouf_Pacha_en_1788.jpg

Koca Yusuf Pasha, one of the New Order's many fathers.
But the new army needed new revenues to sustain its development, and with the Janissaries still too powerful to be challenged openly, the cash-strapped Sublime Porte had no choice other than to create a parallel treasury (the Irad-i Cedid) and new taxes to fund it. But despite the government's best efforts to step on as few toes as possible, the measures it enacted, especially the new taxes, were more than enough to kick off a wave of discontent among the ayans and their subjects, who saw them as a shield which stood between them and a distant and corrupt royal court (2). Chief among these rebels was Osman Pazvantoglu, who not only ruled the strategic city of Vidin like a king but turned it into a refuge for bandits and renegade Janissaries who launched raids into Serbia and Wallachia. Having already defeated an attempt to bring his dominion back under imperial control in 1795, Pazvantoglu was now a dangerous figurehead for those opposed to the reformist agenda. He had to be crushed, and soon, before things spun out of control.

With the way to Vidin clear thanks to the destruction of Kara Feyzi's bandit network, Selim issued firmans to multiple provinces demanding the recruitment of troops to form an army of gigantic proportions, as well as one authorizing Pazvantoglu's execution. After months of preparation and planning, a force of 100.000 men led by Grand Admiral Küçük Hüseyin Pasha (yes, the army was commanded by an admiral) was sent in the direction of the rebellious lord's stronghold, while a fleet sailed up the Danube to blockade it. The Siege of Vidin, which lasted from February to June 1798, was perhaps the single most important event in Selim's reign, the sultan and his allies investing nearly every bit of capital they had to ensure its success. Pazvantoglu made several preparations as well, turning the city into a fortress and recruiting peasants from all over his area of influence in the months prior to the imperial troops' arrival. Because of this the imperial army had immense difficulty penetrating Vidin's fortifications, with Hüseyin asking his sovereign multiple times for more and bigger cannons.

Vidin eventually fell after five months and tens of thousands of casualties, the defenders running out of supplies faster than the besiegers did (3). The heads of Pazvantoglu and most of his inner circle - which included several Janissaries - were severed and brought to Constantinople as evidence of the sultan's triumph and a warning of what would happen to those who dared to defy his authority in the future. Though he and the rest of the Porte weren't out of danger yet, they at last obtained the victory they so desperately needed to continue with their ongoing projects and come up with new and far more audacious ones.

These plans would have to be kept on hold for the moment, however, since word of the French invasion of Egypt poured into the capital within days of the capture of Vidin (4).

------------------
Notes:

(1) This is OTL.

(2) It is important to remember that even guys like Ali Pasha and Pazvantoglu invested in things like public works in the areas where their power was secure.

(3) IOTL the siege failed due to a high level of desertion and difficulties with supplying the besieging army. Pazvantoglu was pardoned and eventually made a pasha by the sultan, and so what was supposed to be a huge campaign to rein the ayans in only made them even bolder than before.

(4) There's an argument to be made that Napoleon's sudden arrival destroyed what was left of the besiegers' will to fight. I'm not sure of that, considering the little detailed information I found (for example, while one source says the siege lasted 5 months another says it lasted from late 1797 until July 1798) suggests the whole affair was a mess from the get go.

Last edited:
Subbed.

I suppose Napolyon Pasha isn't going to be appearing in this TL, then?
Maybe the Reformed Ottoman Army could actually working side by side with France ... Like when French invades Russia, the Ottoman could took Crimea and or Caucasus Regions while the Russians are busy elsewhere?

Maybe the Reformed Ottoman Army could actually working side by side with France ... Like when French invades Russia, the Ottoman could took Crimea and or Caucasus Regions while the Russians are busy elsewhere?
Possibly, though Napoleon might not get that far. If he still invades Egypt and Syria ITTL, he might not survive the occasion.

Subbed. I don't know how many active Ottoman survival timelines ate active, but all three of your timelines are in less active areas. I do hope to see more, even if it is slower than the other two.

I am curious if this will butterfly the Greek War of Independence since they only won thanks to foreign intervention.
It could be, a more robust Ottoman military would meant the ones trying to intervene in favor of the Greeks would need to pay a heavy price in lives. So much that ATL Greek war for Independence being seen as fully internal Revolt

Which might resulted in less Brutal Turkish Nationalists of the late 19th and early 20th century, With the Greeks staying in the Empire, there will be no precedent of successful separatism.

Last edited:
It could be, a more robust Ottoman military would meant the ones trying to intervene in favor of the Greeks would need to pay a heavy price in lives. So much that ATL Greek war for Independence being seen as fully internal Revolt

Which might resulted in less Brutal Turkish Nationalists of the late 19th and early 20th century, With the Greeks staying in the Empire, there will be no precedent of successful separatism.
Not to mention the fact the revolt was only started over tax hikes, there was no "National Awakening" as most romantics and Greeks would have you believe. Although I still think the National Awakening of the South Slavic Peoples is inevitable.

Not to mention the fact the revolt was only started over tax hikes, there was no "National Awakening" as most romantics and Greeks would have you believe. Although I still think the National Awakening of the South Slavic Peoples is inevitable.
And parts of the tax Hikes happened to pay the ever increasing demands of the Janissaries, who just recently revolted several times to demand higher and higher pay.

A Sultan that could successfully disband the Janissary early on would meant more stable internal politics of the Ottoman Empire.

And parts of the tax Hikes happened to pay the ever increasing demands of the Janissaries, who just recently revolted several times to demand higher and higher pay.

A Sultan that could successfully disband the Janissary early on would meant more stable internal politics of the Ottoman Empire.
EXACTLY. Personally I hope that Selim III uses his post Janissary army against the First Saudi State to prove the strength of it.

Subbed, a great timeline. Nice of the author to try and keep it simple. The Pods are interesting and to think that an empire was held hostage by Bandit lords in their core area....

This will inevitably mean more direct control from Constantinople. How are the Bosnian Ayans doing? They might think they deserve an exception for their loyalties to the porte due to their staunch defense against Habsburgs. But I think establishment of an officer core should be a priority, this will not only improve the military situation but also establish hierarchy between the state and it's servants.

Janissaries must be incensed after seeing the new army crush the bandit lords of Danube. But now Selim must use them against the Egyptian invasion. For once I think Nappy losing in Egypt would chastise him to the point of looking for allies in his endeavour of dominating Europe. If French does reign Supreme in Europa after lots of battle then Ottomans will be more or less free from external intervention as this victorious power would be too tired to do anything.

Janissaries must be incensed after seeing the new army crush the bandit lords of Danube. But now Selim must use them against the Egyptian invasion. For once I think Nappy losing in Egypt would chastise him to the point of looking for allies in his endeavour of dominating Europe. If French does reign Supreme in Europa after lots of battle then Ottomans will be more or less free from external intervention as this victorious power would be too tired to do anything.
A smarter idea would be to give incentives to the Jannissaries to take on Napoleon's invasion themselves, with the bloodletting further weakening them as a political force