What, like this?

1263BFBE-9F10-498B-A988-FD656AB98468.jpeg

or this…

F4A967F3-8736-4A0B-BA6E-CDC8534692DD.jpeg

or this… 😉

995EB190-0253-414C-9082-F4695EC57D0C.jpeg

Last edited:
>snip<
They gave the thing a 90mm gun when the tank was originally designed for a 37. I can only imagine what the reaction would be if you took that thing back to 1941 and paraded it in front of the Army Ordnance Department :p

Ok, there's a timeline I'd love to read :)

Randy

M60a2 "Starship". The 152mm was a bit of an abortion apparently. Whenever it was fired its optics were knocked out of alignment, rendering it completely inaccurate. Both the Sheridan and the M60 (and I assume the MBT70) were basically useless with the Shillelagh missile.

There's an idea! Instead of the Shillelagh they decide to go with the late 50's "Cannonball" ATGM design*!
Even worse design challenges and probably execution but just think of the "Look at my bore diameter and despair!" plus a lot of "pirates-and-cannons" jokes for the next dozen decades!

Randy
* or worse.. "Hey the Air Force isn't using that "Pye Wacket" missile design so..." :)
Of course now that I think of that, it might make a pretty nifty design after all tossing "omnidirectional missiles" all over the place :)

Last edited:
There's an idea! Instead of the Shillelagh they decide to go with the late 50's "Cannonball" ATGM design*!
Even worse design challenges and probably execution but just think of the "Look at my bore diameter and despair!" plus a lot of "pirates-and-cannons" jokes for the next dozen decades!
Fun fact: the United States built this thing in the late 80s....

nvVPEQz.jpg

...which looks pretty innocent til you realise that it is a tactical nuclear warhead for a 155mm gun - a hair's breadth larger than the same size of gun that the M60A2 uses.Shave a little off the casing, and you'd have a nuclear shell for the M60A2, which would clearly resolve all problems that the tank has with accuracy and electronics, and it certainly wouldn't have any issues with destroying enemy tanks to say the least!

Survivability, on the other hand, might be somewhat impacted by using a 2kt nuclear device in tank versus tank combat...but I'm sure that's something that the engineers can fix, they just need to try harder :p

Jokes aside, in a world where tactical nukes were more of a thing and somehow exempt from the atomic terror (which has made sure that, so far, no nuclear device has been used in anger since the end of WW2), I wouldn't be too surprised to find out if the US or the Soviets might've designed a sort of nuclear self-propelled-gun, a vehicle capable of carrying a number of nuclear artillery shells and lobbing them at enemy positions, probably with rocket assisted projectiles to increase range, but that might be too extreme for even the most atom-loving variations of OTL, as one engagement with the things would make the battlefield look like the surface of the Moon. Maybe something for the Fallout timeline, eh? :D

Last edited:
Here are some offerings to match your description. ..

Centurion Mk 5/X2: Given that the turret ring of the Centurion and M551 Sheridan are almost exactly the same, take one is just a simple remounting of the Sheridan's steel turret onto a Centurion Mk5 hull. It looks quite fetching from the front but a little ridiculous from the side...

View attachment 730738

Centurion Mk 5/X3: Next I decided to keep the Centurion's larger and better protected turret and mount the Sheridan's M81E1 152 mm Gun/Launcher directly to it along with the associated missile tracking optics. The end result is certainly a more robust vehicle which could probably cope well with the 152mm gun's considerable recoil...

View attachment 730739

Centurion Mk 5/X4: This got me thinking that if we are keeping the larger Centurion turret than perhaps the larger 152 mm XM150E gun/launcher from the proposed MBT-70 would be a better option and give a much greater rate of fire.

View attachment 730741

M48X4 Patton: And finally, for those that might prefer a US solution, I give you the same 152mm XM-150E gun/launcher but mounted in the M48 Patton...

View attachment 730742
MANY THANKS !

I'm not the one designing the tank, but does it have to a be a fully homegrown design? Based on the kind of requirements that you're talking about here, it looks like there's either room for some of the scrapped concepts that the US was working on during the Cold War, or just an off the shelf existing tank modified for their situation, something like an M48 Patton; by the timeframe you're talking about the M60 is phasing them out, so it makes sense that a Brazil aligned enough to the US to be willing to play whack-a-mole with South American communists might be able to get them at a pretty good price. Certainly they'd be able to operate in the Brazillian environment; Brazil actually has M60 Pattons, and the M48 served well enough in Vietnam so it should be suitable for the tropical conditions in Brazil.

And for a bonus it actually meets your 6th requirement very well because...

iirQWdz.jpg

...South Korea still has them in service today, using their M48A3K tanks as reserves to back up their more modern K1/K2s, and other countries like Taiwan had them, too. A Brazil that is heavily aligned with the US would definitely be able to get them, and then in the 70s get a combined fleet of M48s and M60s, which is a pretty darned good setup for the time, and in the years after that you could easily see Brazil setting out on its own refit program to further modernize the tanks, like they did to this Stuart:

eFiHgod.jpg

They gave the thing a 90mm gun when the tank was originally designed for a 37. I can only imagine what the reaction would be if you took that thing back to 1941 and paraded it in front of the Army Ordnance Department :p
Looks cool!

My Centurion Mk 5/X3 above looks very similar to the OTL Centurion Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineers (AVRE) which carried the Ordnance BL 165mm (6.5 in) L9A1 Demolition Gun. The gun fired a 64 lb (29 kg) High Explosive Squash Head (HESH) shell up to 2,400 m (2,600 yds) and was reportedly accurate enough to blast a bridge girder at 600 yards (549 meters) or hit a pillbox or bunker at 1400 yards (1280 meters). At greater ranges, it was an effective Area-Of-Effect (AOE) weapon. The gun could elevate 20 degrees, and depress 10 degrees, though depression was limited over the engine deck - so certainly good enough for @eretzyegern ’s infantry support task.

The shell contained around 32 lbs (14.5 kgs) of PE4 explosives, equivalent to six 120mm HESH rounds. The round had no shell case in the traditional sense. Instead, the charge was placed inside a perforated base connected directly to the warhead and remained attached to the projectile as it flew. The gun and shell were never intended for use as an Anti-Armor weapon. This is not to say that a 165 mm HESH round from the L9 wouldn’t have been able to do so in an emergency, but it was never meant for that purpose.

View attachment 730960 View attachment 730966

The down side of the big HE ammunition load was that if something went wrong, it usually went wrong in the most spectacular fashion. This is the result of a Centurion AVRE which caught fire during the first Gulf War. Fortunately, the crew had abandoned the vehicle in time. (Note, the explosion also includes the content of the Giant Viper mine clearance rocket system that the AVRE was towing and which initiated the catastrophic explosion - impressive nonetheless. Reportedly, a road wheel landed 2 miles away!).

View attachment 730961
You made this as well?

Jokes aside, in a world where tactical nukes were more of a thing and somehow exempt from the atomic terror (which has made sure that, so far, no nuclear device has been used in anger since the end of WW2), I wouldn't be too surprised to find out if the US or the Soviets might've designed a sort of nuclear self-propelled-gun, a vehicle capable of carrying a number of nuclear artillery shells and lobbing them at enemy positions, probably with rocket assisted projectiles to increase range, but that might be too extreme for even the most atom-loving variations of OTL, as one engagement with the things would make the battlefield look like the surface of the Moon. Maybe something for the Fallout timeline, eh? :D

Have you every heard of a wargame called "Ogre" or "GEV"?
We did discuss "armored ground effect vehicles I know... Just not one that operationally use tactical nuclear warheads as "main gun rounds" but when you're working with the equivalent of a "Continental Siege Unit" you gotta do what you gotta do :)

Randy

Have you every heard of a wargame called "Ogre" or "GEV"?
We did discuss "armored ground effect vehicles I know... Just not one that operationally use tactical nuclear warheads as "main gun rounds" but when you're working with the equivalent of a "Continental Siege Unit" you gotta do what you gotta do :)

Randy
For Ogre, don't bother with Nukes, a sufficiently large pit will do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.