Alternate History Combat Aircraft

But did they use them in combat?
What do you mean by in combat? Start from an airfield currently under attack? Do CAM ships count, they are not solely rocket launched by rockets are involved. Otherwise RATO systems for transport aircraft have been used quite a bit in different conditions right from their inception until today.

What do you mean by in combat? Start from an airfield currently under attack? Do CAM ships count, they are not solely rocket launched by rockets are involved. Otherwise RATO systems for transport aircraft have been used quite a bit in different conditions right from their inception until today.
No I'm talking about about rocket power only aircraft used to engage other aircraft in combat.
Not RATO systems for assisted takeoffs.

I think then its only the Me-163.
There was the Japanese Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka a suicide plane with a 1,000kg warhead in the nose, not a fighter but a human guided bomb.
I think that counts.
th

There was the Japanese Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka a suicide plane with a 1,000kg warhead in the nose, not a fighter but a human guided bomb.
I think that counts.
th
Ok, I did not list it as you specified "engaged other aircraft in combat", which the Ohka didnt do. There are some rumors of an experimental version actually armed with cannons instead of the warhead but there is nor real evidence to support the claims.

Ok, I did not list it as you specified "engaged other aircraft in combat", which the Ohka didnt do. There are some rumors of an experimental version actually armed with cannons instead of the warhead but there is nor real evidence to support the claims.
Well it may not have engaged other aircraft but it did engage ships.
I've never heard of an armed Ohka version, maybe there was talk of such a variant but I doubt if any were built.

I have been thinking a bit about the He-111 and how you might go about increasing its defensive capabilities. A remote controlled turret on top ala B29 same underbelly.I cant quite see how you could get a tail gun happening
The Germans did ad a dorsal turret to late models of the He-111 but it was another case of too little, too late.
An He-111 with both dorsal and an underbelly turret during the BoB could have saved quite a few aircrews.

Pangur

Donor
The Germans did ad a dorsal turret to late models of the He-111 but it was another case of too little, too late.
An He-111 with both dorsal and an underbelly turret during the BoB could have saved quite a few aircrews.
and there should have been an increase in airspeed as well

Hello,

Is it wrong to think that Pusher Planes look so aesthetic?
To the point that they look nicer than any other type of plane power?

Thats not wrong because its obviously the truth :p
@cortz#9 is right on the money, but there are some more:
View attachment 730889
View attachment 730890
View attachment 730891
View attachment 730892
ok, the last one is just a project :p

Hell even the airacuda is cool:
View attachment 730893
All cool planes and there are some others who's names I can't remember.
I forgot about the Ambrosini, one of my faves, did an alternate jet version of it a few years back.
Here it is again for old times sake:
Ambrosini SS-5-B.jpg

Gave it some wing guns and larger vertical stabilizers.

I have been thinking a bit about the He-111 and how you might go about increasing its defensive capabilities
First off, dump the MG 15 at the outset. They are rifle caliber, had a rate of fire around 1000 rpm, but used 75 round drums. This meant that the gunners spent more time reloading than shooting.
Go with belt fed MG 81, or better yet, the MG 131 and get some heavier hitting power. These changes could have been made in time for the BoB.
Also replace the upper flexible gun mount with a turret, though this would require a significant design change.
Finally, I think going with the all glazed nose was a mistake. While visibility was increased, it left the crew vulnerable to enemy fire. I think they should have kept the original ”stepped” cockpit, which would have given the crew more protection and or even armored.

ric350

To be fair, the glazed nose is not a problem - if the enemy uses .50 cal or 20mm it can penetrate a 'normal' nose too. I concur with replacing the MG15 with MG131. Bombers need some weapon that fighters respect, and a few 8mm (7.92, but don't be pedantic) MGs don't qualify.