Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d personally like to make the thread and then threadmark all the maps with, say, over 40 likes, so they can be accessed easier by everyone– there seemed to be demand for this last time I brought it up. Was planning on making this thread XX and doing exactly that, but someone started it three pages early so I didn’t have the chance; hopefully it’ll be possible for the next thread.
I actually very much like this idea

Annexation of Belize is a Guatemalan, not Mexican, obsession, and I dunno to what extent the central government is going to bend its foreign policy to satisfy Guatemalan wishes, especially if they have some reason to want to keep the British sweet.
But on the map in question, Mexico has absorbed Guatemala...

But on the map in question, Mexico has absorbed Guatemala...

The US annexed Texas, but Texas did not then get to dictate US foreign policy. Southerners drooled at the notion of the Golden Circle, but couldn't persuade the northern states to go along with a rampage of annexations in Central America and the Caribbean.

A map. Someone wanted me to fill in the rest of the world for my Russiawank scenario. Hope it's not too much of a disappointment.

WankedRussiaWorld.PNG

Last edited:
A map. Someone wanted me to fill in the rest of the world for my Russiawank scenario. Hope it's not too much of a disappointment.

SNIP
Noice; I noticed your Nueva Baetican borders resemble that forecast map you did of Malta's Bahia-verse TL, very cool. Also, glad to see I'm not the only one that can see a (Gran) Colombia-!Texas comparison (the oil and heavy cattle ranching tradition if nothing else).

too much of a disappointment
that Russia didn't extend to the Pyrenes? XD

Shouldn't Anatolia be labeled 39?

How did the rationalization of the Anglo-Castilian Empire entail the forfeiture of Egypt?

Edit: Questions about languages: Has Russian been notably influenced by Iranian languages despite Iran's autonomous status? Is Russian here closer to the South Slavic (Serbian, Croatian, Bulgarian, etc.) languages than in our world? Does TTL have equivalents of Pinyin and Romaji and if so are they made with Cyrillic letters? You mention Anglicized Castilian; anglicized in what way? Does *Castilian have 30% English loanwords? Has it borrowed a grammatical case? The POD is in the late 1100s so about 200 years before the Canterbury Tales would be the English then and the Spanish then would have been that of Cantar de mio Cid.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Y'all need to come up with proper Succession Plan for thread starters.

Already had two "claim jumpers" for XXI.

Dagoth Ur

Banned

Idea: People who want to start a new thread, do so when this one reaches page 499. Whichever new thread reaches page 2 first *with legitimate posts!!!*, no garbage posts to reach page 2, becomes the new official map thread. Thread jumpers and people who post garbage filler posts in the new threads get automatically kicked for one week for being cheaters, and the relevant posts are deleted.

Idea: People who want to start a new thread, do so when this one reaches page 499. Whichever new thread reaches page 2 first *with legitimate posts!!!*, no garbage posts to reach page 2, becomes the new official map thread. Thread jumpers and people who post garbage filler posts in the new threads get automatically kicked for one week for being cheaters, and the relevant posts are deleted.
That's a terrible idea. The last thing we need is to have a map-thread-making competition.

I'm pretty much set on the logic that the new thread should be made once the old one reaches the 500 pages mark. From there, if nobody has made a new thread, any user can make it, link it here, and ask the mods to do the replacement.
It's not that hard guys. No need to anticipate yourselves so much.

Here's an idea: just ask in the old thread first. Don't try to force everyone to shift gears and bookmark a different thread just because you personally get a little high off of some mistaken idea of prestige or legacy or whatever. Check to see if there are any objections in the main thread to you starting the next one and ONLY THEN start the next thread. This sort of one-upsmanship we've been seeing is really grating.

Personally, I think @fluttersky should start the new thread because I like their threadmarks idea. I always find myself remembering cool maps that I saw that I can't find because they're buried in some page between 100-200.

Here is the 1944 map of Dystopic Return of Magic.

Dr9JX5m.png

Major Karl Plagge looked across the river Neckar, engorged by the torrential rain that poured down on picteresque, untouched Heidelberg, its colourful house castles climbing the nearby green hill.

The fact that this place existed astonished Karl almost as much as the fact that he was still alive. He was a veteran of the Eastern Front, a survivor of Saaremaa and its rain of ice. He still remembered how for a few horried moments he had thought himself alone, that the elves had struck down the entire invasion force, all his men except himself in the most grotesque of false mercies.

But it was not so, and as the aircraft cut down the Fey Sorcerers, he saw men of his own company, fellow survivors begin to clamber over the grassy dunes.

With that it was just a matter of pushing forwards.

He shook himself. It was never good idea to revisit those memories, least of all when he was on duty.

He was after all guarding the most important man in the world.

Who was on a boat, in the middle of the river, reading a book while rain cascaded down his umbrella.

“Why of all people, did he have to have such an interest in outdoor affairs!”. He thought to himself with the hint of a smile. It certainly didn’t make his joke any easier.

At least Oppenheimer likes to fish from the security of the shore, or so he had heard.

In the distance he heard one of his men call for him.

He seemed excited, perhaps something interesting had happened.

---1944---​

Pinpointing the year on which the tide of a war turned, has always been a favourite of historians: 1946, where the Elves began to flee the plains of Eastern Europe? 1924, where China and India lay prostate but spared for sport? Or perhaps as far back as 1910 and the Battle of Berlin?

1944 at least, stands out among these dates as very last point at which the Courts had both the capacity and the necessary opportunities to strike effectively against their Human foes.

The ferocious and well-planned assaults on Anatolia, Ukraine and California, all, individually were existential threats that could have erased the blood-drenched progress made in the Western United States or annihilated the Balkans wholesale.

With such catastrophic loses, Humanity would be thrown on the defensive, the initiative passed to the Courts, who could have bartered this opportunity into yet more attacks at other weak nations, like now vulnerable Italy.

Could have.

In the end the attacks were turned back, the Courts turning inwards in recrimination and petulant spite as their experiment in unorthodox tactics yielded little.

This was not the end of such attempts, indeed in the decades the followed the Fey that yet possessed organised leadership would attempt everything from covert assassination to crafting duplicate, ‘Silver’ Firearms.

But 1944 was the last date on which such decisions mattered. From hence onwards; the Human armies would be too heavily armed, too numerous. Their population centres too insulated from attack. There would be no more ‘weak underbellies’ for the Courts to exploit as industrialisation efforts were finalised the world over, bringing ever more fresh and hungry powers into the fight.

The War of Survival ended the moment the moment that Aleksander Johansen reached the summit of the burning city that he had helped conquer. When he finally clambered down the to the bottom, the Conquest had begun.

Last edited:
I agree @fluttersky should start the new thread when this one reaches 498
I was going to suggest you personally, though part of it also comes down to finding the name ‘fluttersky’ grating to read. That is just a minor personal preference though, and partially comes to my always liking capitalization for names. If they are willing to go to all the trouble of listing the especially fun maps (something I was disappointed the claim-jumper who started this thread didn’t do), then more power to them. Ahhh wait, I misread that. They will make pin the maps during the run of the thread. I think it is possible that will get a bit cumbersome and if @fluttersky does do it, they should do it once every two or three months. Otherwise they might feel pressured to add more than is needed. The idea of pinning good maps is nothing new though, so I order if they idea was droppe in previous threads because of the scramble for naming rights or if people just decided against it. I thiiiiink they started pinning in one of the threads, but I may be misremembering it. Might have been another, non-main map thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.