Can Greek nationalism rise in late Byzantium under palaiologos during 12th and 13 the centuries as it did in 19th century under ottomans
due to events like sack of Constantinople and latin rule

can it stop ottomans?

It did. Hellenism became a major force in the Empire of Nicaea, especially after the reign of Theodore II Laskaris. It remained a major force until the end of the empire, with intellectuals like Plethon stressing Hellenic identity over Roman identity. It would probably have been more prevalent had Michael VIII not chosen to restore the pre-1204 ideological framework of the empire (i.e. Christian imperial mission, Roman universalism etc.) and had instead stuck with the ideology of the exile (reconquest, Greek superiority etc.).

That said, Greek nationalism wouldn’t change the Palaiologoi being absolutely horrible emperors for Anatolia, so no, it can’t stop the Ottomans alone. The ideology of exile, which regarded Anatolia as a promised holy land, might have had a better shot at it, however.

Last edited:
IMHO any definition of nationalism that somehow only applies to post French-Revolution Europe is awfully narrow and arbitrary.

OP specifically requested “… as it did in the 19th century.”

Mind you, I agree that there were contours and phenomenons present in Europe sharing some similarities with the general understanding of nationalism (state-patriotism), but the great national movements of the 1800s were by and large products of their times: Economically speaking the industrial revolution, politically speaking the French Revolution.

OP specifically requested “… as it did in the 19th century.”
He is talking about the 19th century shift from "Roman" to "Greek" identity, not that this "Greek nationalist" has to be a bourgeois-lead or mass popular identity.

What do you mean by nationalism?

In the Middle Ages, there already was a degree of Greek cultural chauvinism in Byzantium, at least among the ruling classes. I don't know what promoting that further would do, other than alienate the Armenian, Slavic, Vlach, etc parts of the aristocracy even further.

If you mean a popular nationalism, as in a proper ideology -- well, your average Greek shepherd didn't care much about the literary traditions of Homer, the discourses of Socrates, or the imperium of Alexander or Constantine. The closest thing to what we would today call a popular "ideology" would be religion. And they already had a religious identity around which political and military identity could be organised (Orthodox Christianity), and even an institution to organise those political and military identities (the Byzantine Orthodox Church).

What do you mean by nationalism?

In the Middle Ages, there already was a degree of Greek cultural chauvinism in Byzantium, at least among the ruling classes. I don't know what promoting that further would do, other than alienate the Armenian, Slavic, Vlach, etc parts of the aristocracy even further.

If you mean a popular nationalism, as in a proper ideology
Why is only "popular nationalism" a proper ideology? You literally mention above the fact that Greek cultural chauvinism alienates people and focuses on something that Greeks think they share, how is that not a proper ideology?

Azrubêl

Banned
There was something of an emphasis on Hellenic identity in the Empire of Nicea (not in the other successor states, however), though it coexisted with Romaness (Ioannes Vatatzes never ceased referring to himself as a Roman and ruler of the Roman people, for example) for that time period. But such emphasis on Hellenism ceased being part of state ideology with the reconquest of Constantinople, and was once again mostly confined to a small number of antiquizing scholars.

Either way, Roman identity was strong enough that it can be considered to have had feelings attached to it that can well be described as nationalistic.

Last edited:
Why is only "popular nationalism" a proper ideology? You literally mention above the fact that Greek cultural chauvinism alienates people and focuses on something that Greeks think they share, how is that not a proper ideology?

I could be wrong, but I always thought of ideology as by definition relating to the masses. The term "ideology" has its origins during the French Revolution, in the Republic's attempts to reorganise society along popular, meritocratic, and/or politically-expedient lines, and distinguish itself from the Ancien Régime. Thereafter, ideology has pretty much always refered to theoretical frameworks which base themselves in some conception of "the public." For example, the three main ideologies of the twentieth century -- liberalism; fascism; and Marxism -- all legitimise themselves by some idea of "the people." And even those ideologies which do not legitimise themselves by "the people" -- like Islamism or monarchism -- are concerned with the public's relationship to some external source of legitimacy.

The Greek aristocracy vaguely feeling like Armenian aristocrats are barbarians is not an ideology. It isn't like they felt some broader sense of fellowship with the Greek peasantry; indeed, I'm sure they often felt they had more in common with barbarian aristocrats than with their own serfs.

Azrubêl

Banned
The Greek aristocracy vaguely feeling like Armenian aristocrats are barbarians is not an ideology. It isn't like they felt some broader sense of fellowship with the Greek peasantry; indeed, I'm sure they often felt they had more in common with barbarian aristocrats than with their own serfs.
It would indeed be odd, especially since there was no real Greek aristocracy or Greek peasantry to speak of.

Azrubêl

Banned
Yeah, I know. Feudalism was mainly a thing in the West. And "Greekness" was a fuzzy concept at this point, insofar as it existed. But you know, simplifying.
Not so much 'fuzzy' as 'nonexistent'. Likewise, taking the existence of 'Armenian aristocrats' for granted is dangerous, not least because we have a lot of historical figures in Rome that have anachronistically been named Armenians on a thin evidentiary basis. Most of those people, if they had Armenian descent (and it's almost certainly not true for all of them - it was popular for Roman elites to claim descent from Armenian royalty because it was both prestigious and could not be reliably fact-checked, among other reasons) were thoroughly Romanized, and considered themselves as Romans, much like the people around them.

That's a big thing with Rome. It tended to absorb minorities within its borders very effectively, and integrate them into the existing Roman whole. It happened to the Khurramites, it happened to Arabs, it happened to Turks, it happened to Slavs and it happened to Armenians as well. It's one significant difference it had with the Ottomans who would come later on, who mostly left the minorities within their empire as they were, instead of assimilating them into a central common identity. (Though there were attempts to create a kind of common pan-Ottoman sentiment and identity later in the Empire's lifespan, which did not really work out for various reasons)

Likewise, taking the existence of 'Armenian aristocrats' for granted is dangerous, not least because we have a lot of historical figures in Rome that have anachronistically been named Armenians on a thin evidentiary basis.
So I guess no one was Armenian, not even recent migrants, even Armenian speakers and followers of the Armenian church, the second someone is conquered by the Byzantine state they become and were always Roman even if they repeatedly rebel and seek political religious autonomy.
That's a big thing with Rome. It tended to absorb minorities within its borders very effectively, and integrate them into the existing Roman whole. It happened to the Khurramites, it happened to Arabs, it happened to Turks, it happened to Slavs and it happened to Armenians as well.
This is a massive exaggeration, most of those people actually survived as distinct entities and either rebelled, broke off or gained prominence when the empire weakened.
The Byzantines didn't do anything special our outstanding on this front to begin with.
It's one significant difference it had with the Ottomans who would come later on, who mostly left the minorities within their empire as they were, instead of assimilating them into a central common identity.
I guess Anatolia magically became 80% Muslim Turkish speaking within centuries after the establishment of the Sultanate of Rum by itself.
(Though there were attempts to create a kind of common pan-Ottoman sentiment and identity later in the Empire's lifespan, which did not really work out for various reasons)
The Ottomans did not have the privilege of inheriting about a millennium of partial or complete Greeco-Roman rule over Anatolia and Greece by 800 CE.

I think there's a sharp distinction between "Armenians from actual Armenia as a (semi) independent area of the East." and that identifying - for example - Basil I (and certainly his children or grandchildren or beyond) as Armenian in any meaningful way is probably pushing it quite a lot even if at some point some ancestor of his came from Armenia.

Serbia and Bulgaria broke off, but a good chunk of both "Greek/Roman" Anatolia and Europe are Hellenized/Romanized Slavs according to some authors, on the other side of this.

That would be my take from my reading, at least. It's not easy to see either "Everyone ever in contact with Rome was fully Roman." or "No one ever assimilated at all."

Last edited:
I think there's a sharp distinction between "Armenians from actual Armenia as a (semi) independent area of the East." and that identifying - for example - Basil I (and certainly his children or grandchildren or beyond) as Armenian in any meaningful way is probably pushing it quite a lot.
But then the argument is not "there was no such thing as Greek as distinct from Slavs and Armenians" but rather "there were very few Armenians west of Cilicia/Caesarea"

Azrubêl

Banned
So I guess no one was Armenian, not even recent migrants, even Armenian speakers and followers of the Armenian church, the second someone is conquered by the Byzantine state they become and were always Roman even if they repeatedly rebel and seek political religious autonomy.
Please read my post before arguing against strawmen of your own creation.
This is a massive exaggeration, most of those people actually survived as distinct entities and either rebelled, broke off or gained prominence when the empire weakened.
The Byzantines didn't do anything special our outstanding on this front to begin with.
There were groups that survived, and there were several groups that were assimilated. The longer a group was under imperial control, the more it tended to be assimilated into the greater Roman identity. The Slavs of the Peloponnese were mostly Romanized. The Khurramites in Roman territory effectively disappear as a distinct ethnic group within a couple of generations after their entry as do the Banu Habib. Accounts of Arab captives of war or defectors being Romanized abound in the sources. And the Armenians which I brought up (in those cases were they were actual ethnic Armenians rather than Romans claiming Armenian royal descent for reasons of prestige) were swiftly Romanized in the court of Constantinople, their origins mostly becoming relevant in cases of polemic by their political rivals.
I guess Anatolia magically became 80% Muslim Turkish speaking within centuries after the establishment of the Sultanate of Rum by itself.
Again, not what I said. Please, make an effort to read my posts.
The Ottomans did not have the privilege of inheriting about a millennium of partial or complete Greeco-Roman rule over Anatolia and Greece by 800 CE.
The Ottomans lasted for several centuries in their own right, more than enough time to do that had they had the will to do so. That a shared pan-Ottoman identity only became a priority later on is because the priorities of the Ottomans changed as well, and that it failed to take hold is its own story, which involves both native nationalistic movements as well as the foreign interventions that plagued them for their last decades. But it's more than fair to say that the Ottomans were far more legitimately a true multi-ethnic empire than the Romans that preceded them for most of their existence.

Last edited: