Narrative Appendices: Yes or No

• Yes

• No

• Neither: Build a canal (Results)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see no reason why the HRE branch would not do an alright job.They are only minor princes in the HRE.They would not be spending their time in some dirt poor backwater when they would be ruling a much larger realm in the east as their own boss.
I doubt they'll be given the chance in the first place, but that's a fair point. Really depends on how this hypothetical HRE ruler is loyal to the Empire.

Trebizond’s legitimacy as a Roman successor state derives from prestige of the Komnenians.It is their source of national pride.
They would already be seen as lesser than Morea if they accepted the HRE branch in the first place, since everyone knows of that branch's history and historical affiliation with the Holy Roman Empire. Inviting someone that is tainted with German/Latin blood would not sit well with the court or the Roman people, imo.

If the HRE Komnenoi are out of the picture then it really doesn't matter who takes the purple or not once the line dies with David.

I doubt they'll be given the chance in the first place, but that's a fair point. Really depends on how this hypothetical HRE ruler is loyal to the Empire.

They would already be seen as lesser than Morea if they accepted the HRE branch in the first place, since everyone knows of that branch's history and historical affiliation with the Holy Roman Empire. Inviting someone that is tainted with German/Latin blood would not sit well with the court or the Roman people, imo.

If the HRE Komnenoi are out of the picture then it really doesn't matter who takes the purple or not once the line dies with David.
As mentioned,there are plenty of Komnenians around,not just from the HRE branch. And really,the Trepezuntines as mentioned earlier in the story are actually far more supportive of the Latins than the Moreans/Palaiologian Romans—because they saw 1204 as traitors reaping what they deserved.Furthermore, the Trepezuntines rulers imported a lot of Latins earlier in the story to bolster it’s population and craftsmanship.If it is fear of submission, what is there to fear about submitting when the Trepezuntines have repeatedly submitted to larger powers at one point or another only to stab them in the back when the time is right? They have shown themselves to be very pragmatic on the issue of submission(even losing the title of emperor and reduced to satrap during David’s reign) but not much on allowing random non-Komnenians to get the throne,

Last edited:
I am so glad to have noticed tonight one of my fav ever timelines is back.

I am happy that David finally got Georgia for Trebisund too!

The chapter about the Persian succession and civil war was my personal fav among the new ones... The unknown assassin sniper would surely enter in the dark legends of Persia from now on.

The chapter about the Persian succession and civil war was my personal fav among the new ones... The unknown assassin sniper would surely enter in the dark legends of Persia from now on.

Maybe a series of movies starring Christopher Lee.

Part LXI: A House Divided (1534-1535)

By the time of his death in April 1534, Arslan II had ruled the Qoyunlu Horde and the Qutlughid Empire for a combined total of fifty-six years. Victorious in nearly every war he had fought, he had expanded the frontiers of his empire from the Mediterranean in the west to the Hindu Kush and even briefly Delhi in the east, and from the Amu Darya and Caucasian Mountains in the north to the vast wastes of Arabia in the south. Persia was once more a powerful empire, unified by Sunni Islam, Arslan’s simplified system of laws and the centralized administration of Tabriz. By every metric of the word. Arslan was a great ruler. However, these achievements were fueled at least in part by extraordinary good fortune, and as the self-proclaimed Lion of Iran passed from this earth his dynasty’s fortune would go with him….

The military success of Arslan’s reign is indisputable, as evidenced by a map of Western Asia in the early 1530s. Dozens of independent kingdoms, statelets and tribes had been crushed and incorporated into the Qutlughid Empire as its great armies had swept out in all directions over several decades of constant low-intensity warfare. The combination of gunpowder-based infantry and professional corps of cavalry was a lethal one, and in both quality and quantity the Qutlughids were one of the foremost military powers in the world. Less obvious was the demographic rebound that occurred across the empire. Once an area had been conquered, the Qutlughids were quite good at ensuring it remained conquered and in many places the half-century or so of peace and stability were the first such period since the Mongol conquest. According to the census of 1533 (940 Hijiri), the population of Iran had finally recovered from the Mongol devastation of centuries previous and passed 3,000,000 for the first time, while the population of the empire at large was around 15,000,000. The Qutlughids also controlled a broad stretch of the world’s most valuable trading networks and farmland, and the collected riches of the region were immense.

As Arslan’s death drew near, all of this--unimaginable wealth and splendor, millions of subjects and the most powerful state in Western Asia, if not the world west of China--was up in the air. Like many Islamic rulers, Arslan had an almost comically large harem--supposedly 100,000 women, so many that he physically couldn’t have had sex with them all--and a practical legion of sons. Given the sheer number of his children, he was able to pick and choose the most intelligent and capable of his sons to give roles in his government and groom towards succeeding him. The shahanshah tried to balance the need for ‘backup’ heirs as a contingency and the danger posed by having multiple claimants with the skills needed to properly stage a coup, but ultimately he strayed too far towards the former.

In the end, his chosen heir was his thirty-fourth son, Muhammed Rostam (b.1504) the son of an Armenian slave. Rostam reminded Arslan of himself, already a renowned warrior and poet of quick wit and hand at only eighteen. After several years of specific, focused training, Rostam was growing into a wise, calculating ruler. Inspired by stories of Harun al-Rashid, the young prince took to disguising himself and traveling amongst the people of Tabriz to see how they lived and give charity. Although devout he was not overly so, aware that the religious minorities of the empire might revolt if persecuted, and already had several children of his own. Wishing to give Rostam the best start to his reign as possible and feeling death creeping upon him, Arslan entrusted the Qal’i Sword[1] and the Crown of Arslan[2] to him in the winter of 1533, imprisoning his brothers in Tabriz in a gilded cage and ordering the other competent claimants to come to the capital to pay tribute to him. This was done by March over the quiet grumbling of several of Rostam’s brothers, and the great shahanshah prepared to leave the earth.

At last, at the age of 81, Arslan died on 3 April 1534[3]. Word of his passing rippled out across the city like a wave and the people fell into mourning as a figure of stability for more than a century finally passed. The bazaar and all of its wings were shuttered and all business and dealings in the city ground to a halt. Arslan was ritually bathed and then enshrouded, and the people of the city held a great procession as he was carried to the cemetery. In later years, it would be said that the city seemed to vibrate with the recitation of funeral prayers. Because of all this ritual and ceremony, the discovery of the burnt and horrifically mutilated corpse of a guardsmen in Lake Urmia went ignored by the city watch, despite the gleaming bolt driven through his heart.

The stability which Arslan had tried to ensure began to unravel before his body was even cold. Once the Qutlugh princes returned to the palace for the usual three-day mourning period they began to bicker amongst themselves over everything from the food at the public reception to who should sit upon the throne. In particular, the sixteenth son, Mohammed Siyavash (b.1491), had also been trained in the arts of war and statecraft and in fact was much more experienced than Rostam, which Siyavash believed ought to make him the next shahanshah. Rostam was furious at this, and shouted at his brother that he was saved from execution only by the mourning period, and that if he did not give up his claim he would kill him himself. One of the other brothers, Mohammed Kurosh, managed to talk them down, but it was a foreshadowing of things to come.

On 7 April, the mourning period complete, Rostam was publically crowned and re-girded in the Blue Mosque, being hailed by the people of the city as the rightful shahanshah and heir to Arslan. He emerged to further cheering by his subjects, and for a few short minutes he was the sole and undisputed ruler of Persia. Then a gold-tipped quarrel blossomed out of his throat, and the shahanshah toppled to the ground, dead. Horrified silence fell over the crowd for a long second, and then the panic hit. Mobs rushed in all directions, screaming and shouting and trampling each other as three more of the princes went down. The guardsmen struggled to surround the surviving princes and then rushed them back inside, where they huddled until night fell.

Soldiers and watchmen combed the city in the following days, hunting for the mysterious assassin while the princes squabbled over their rights to the throne. Several of the princes were killed over the following weeks, and despite the frequency of the attacks the sniper was impossible to identify. Accusations flew as princes accused each other of killing their brothers for personal gain. The only connecting elements were their family and the gold-tipped quarrels, which could only be traced to some Greek who’d been dead for the better part of the last decade, and so an investigation was almost impossible to conduct. Rostam should legally be succeeded by his eldest son, the eleven-year-old Alp Muhammed, but Siyavash and several others claimed that Alp Muhammed’s Latin mother had baptized him as an infant, which they claimed made him illegitimate. With so much power and money on the table, the only Qutlugh willing to support Alp Muhammed’s claim was one of the younger sons, Alp Temur, who was quite the charismatic speaker. Alp Temur seemed to be on the verge of swaying most of his brothers to his cause when, in mid-April, Alp Muhammed was shot through the chest by the assassin and bled out. With the chief obstacle to his claim on the throne gone, Siyavash was free to proclaim himself the rightful heir of Arslan, and despite Alp Temur’s attempts to rally support for Rostam’s other son, Arslan the Younger, he could not be stopped.

On 5 May, Siyavash was crowned and girded in a much less public ceremony, proclaiming himself the rightful shahanshah and being hailed as such by the crowd that could squeeze into the Blue Mosque proper. By this point many of his brothers had fled the capital, rightfully suspecting that he would attempt to purge them, but those which remained in Tabiz were rounded up and confined inside the harem complex. After extracting pledges of loyalty from all of these, Siyavash then mustered out the (much-expanded after Kadir’s attack) city army and had it hail him as well, hoping to secure their loyalty further. He announced a pay-raise for all soldiers who followed him, which quickly won the support of most of the military. He then ordered all of his brothers to return to Tabriz or face execution, throwing down the gauntlet.

Most of the princes would reluctantly comply or flee beyond the borders of the empire, but two raised their standards in revolt. First was Alp Temur, who had slipped out of Tabriz after Alp Muhammed’s death with Arslan the Younger and fled to Herat, the capital of the Qutlughid East. The region wasn’t especially rich and much of it was still controlled by clans and aristocrats, but the east was the most heavily militarized part of the empire because of the need to defend from the Uzbeks and the Sisodians. Alp Temur promised a 25% pay raise to any soldiers who struck for he and Arslan the Younger and quietly negotiated with the local clans, offering them greater rights and autonomy. At this time there were also a great number of dispossessed Indian Muslims who’d been exiled from India proper but were still quite good at fighting, and Alp Temur was able to raise several thousand of them as light horsemen. Within a few short months, tens of thousands of men had rallied to Alp Temur and Arslan the Younger. Siyavash made several assassination attempts against them as he gathered his own soldiers, but it was perfectly clear that the two great armies would meet on the battlefield bar divine intervention.

Meanwhile, another one of Arslan’s sons, a very minor figure named Mohammed Khosrau (b.1495), slipped out of Tabriz and fled southward. He arrived at Basrah a few weeks later but laid low, wanting to let the conflict between the others play itself out before making his own play for the throne. As the armies of Siyavash and Alp Temur assembled that summer and began to make probing attacks prior to the first major actions in the autumn, Mohammed Khosrau wrote to the vassal sultan of Damascus, Jibril al-Ghazali, and asked for his support for a rising. al-Ghazali gave a non-committal answer, not wanting to lose his throne in case things went sideways, and Khosrau was left in a vulnerable position, without any supporters but known to a potential ally of one of his half-brothers.

In November 1534, Alp Temur and Siyavash met outside Varamin and fought an inconclusive battle just north of the city. The two armies had converged on the region after Alp Temur opted to follow the northern road towards Tabriz rather than swinging south to take the south road and potentially leave Herat exposed. Siyavash’s army numbered 20,000 infantry and 5,000 horsemen, while Alp Temur’s host numbered 20,000 infantry and 20,000 cavalry, albeit with Siyavash’s host being of a slightly higher quality. Seeing his half-brother camped across the river, Alp Temur split his forces, sending most of his cavalry south to ford the river and attack him in the rear. Siyavash saw this and used the opportunity presented by his temporary numerical superiority to try and force a crossing against Alp Temur’s weaker force. After several hours of thick and bloody fighting, Siyavash’s men succeeded in gaining a bridgehead on the river, but Alp Temur’s cavalry was returning and Siyavash gave the order to pull back. The greatest impact of this battle was to make a long, drawn-out conflict certain, as Alp Temur physically could not advance all the way to Tabriz before the snows set in.

When word of Varamin reached Basrah, Mohammed Khosrau decided that the time was right. He proclaimed himself the shahanshah, and with a fiery and impassioned speech managed to swing many of the locals to his cause. He pillaged the provincial treasury, where the payments of the Anatolekoi to Tabriz and Trapezous as well as normal tariff revenue were kept, and sent out a call for mercenaries into the desert. He rallied the local militias and border troops to his cause, and within a few short weeks had a few thousand infantry and several thousand more Bedouin cavalry willing to fight for him. As 1534 came to a close he marched on Baghdad, taking the city and parading through it to cheers of ‘Shahanshah!’.

As 1535 began, the Qutlughid Empire was tearing itself apart….

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] This is the White Sword of the Prophet, which Arslan purchased from one of the Mamluk emirs during the sultanate’s collapse. It and the crown would become the chief symbols of the Qutlughids and their legacy.
[2] During Arslan’s time, the crown would’ve been known as the Crown of Persia. It was designed in 1493 for his coronation as Shahanshah the following year, and made by a specialized team of smiths, forgers and jewellers. It was a radiant crown (think statue of liberty) made of gold, with an ivory band around its rim and its spikes inlaid with constellations of small gemstones. Because of its association with Arslan it would become known to history as the ‘Crown of Arslan’, and used or copied by rulers trying to associate themselves with his conquests and the Pax Iranica that followed.
[3] The death of Arslan--or rather, Arslan/Ya’qub Beg--marks a fairly major milestone in the story. The last major figure who existed ‘in the same form’ for lack of a better word in both OTL and TTL has just shuffled off his mortal coil, and everything from here on out will have diverged from OTL to a major degree.
Wonderful update ! Very happy to read this story again !

When I think about it he did state that the Nicaea part of the empire had expanded a bit in small skirmishes on the border. That means that the ottomans are most likely focusing on Europe at the moment or are too weak to do anything about it.

Eparkhos

Banned
Firstly, I'd just like to say thank you all so much for responding to me in such a prolific way, it's more than I could ever ask for and I hope to keep entertaining you.

However, I don't think I can update until this Friday. I should apologize for just dipping since last Thursday, but I was busy with work stuff that weekend except for the Fourth, which I spent with my family. A side project has caught my attention for now and this happens to coincide with me getting my second dose tomorrow, so I'll probably be out of action until late Thursday and I'll be clearing that to Friday just in case. Again, I'm sorry for not telling you guys any of this before.

Firstly, I'd just like to say thank you all so much for responding to me in such a prolific way, it's more than I could ever ask for and I hope to keep entertaining you.

However, I don't think I can update until this Friday. I should apologize for just dipping since last Thursday, but I was busy with work stuff that weekend except for the Fourth, which I spent with my family. A side project has caught my attention for now and this happens to coincide with me getting my second dose tomorrow, so I'll probably be out of action until late Thursday and I'll be clearing that to Friday just in case. Again, I'm sorry for not telling you guys any of this before.
no problems mate, update when you can/want to, and we'll appreciate the work nonetheless

Agreed with the posts above. People have their own lives and we all must except that fact. But I do hope you manage to update this on Friday. Good luck with the chapters from the North

I should note that I wrote this in several disjointed sessions, so I might have messed up the dates. Like I said yesterday I'm also making updates shorter, so I deliberately cut some things out. Just let me know if you have any questions.

Part LXIV: Union (1534)

In the aftermath of Ananuri and the Mongol ravaging of Kartli and Kakheti, Kartvelia as a whole was radically changed. Many branches of the country’s ancient nobility were hacked down, and paupers became lords as easily as lords became paupers. Mamia Dadiani struggled to hold the country together throughout this period of chaos, but ultimately he would fail. His autocratic and erratic behavior would turn subject after subject away from his cause, and those disgruntled ones banded together to unseat their king. After a brief mirage of stability, Kartvelia would once again erupt into civil war, and the Megalokomnenoi would move eastward….

The Battle of Ananuri and the years following had absolutely gutted the eastern half of Kartvelia, killing hundreds of thousands of people within a few short months and driving God only knew how many into exile in Qutlughid and Trapezuntine territory or slavery across the mountains. The ensuing civil war between the Dadianis and the Lord of Arishni was also horrifically bloody, with a half-decade of raids, counterraids and even occasional pitched battles killing or driving out tens of thousands before the post-war purges of anyone even vaguely affiliated with Arishni even began. Kakheti was so devastated that there were more Azeri nomads in the region than natives for a few decades.

While warfare of the time typically came down fairly lightly on the nobility, the ancient and expansive aristocracy of pre-war Kartvelia was absolutely gutted, as Nogai Ahmed Khan had gone out of his way to kill noblemen and their families to sow chaos in the lands which he didn’t directly conquer. The Bagrationis, the oldest and most venerable of the Kartvelian nobility, were the worst hit. Before Ananuri, they had controlled the four most powerful duchies in the kingdom as well as Kartvelia itself, but after the kingdom had been reunified they held, or rather clung, to only Guria in the south-west.

Mamia’s policies played a large part in this. After defeating the Lord of Arishni--or more accurately after Ananuri, he just had time to deal with the nobility now--the king decided, in one of his few wise administrative decisions, that there was no reason the powerful magnates that had been a recurring headache for Kartvelian monarchs since time immemorial should get their land back. He allowed the nobility that had survived on the western side of the Likhni Mountains to keep their land and titles but cut back on their political autonomy sharply, but gave the vast tracts of empty land on the eastern side of the Likhnis to loyal followers and commanders, mostly Abkhazians. By itself, this would have been a wise decision, but Mamia had little interest in managing the affairs of his realm and so passed the task of giving out secondary titles and land grants to his councillors, many of whom were quite corrupt. Within a few short years, the project of redistributing and colonizing the east had turned into a godforsaken mess as rival clans and sometimes entire hostile ethnic groups were settled beside each other and land given to the highest bidder.

This angered a lot of people. The surviving members of the old nobility were furious that they or their cousins had been stripped of what they saw as their lands and many members of the new nobility and even the army were furious that Mamia, whom they had seen as one of them, a tough and strong general who would reform Kartvelia to erase the abuses of the old system had morphed into just another palace mandarin. Most of the peasants were angry at Mamia because of his inability to defend them against Azeri raids, or because they, the Kartvelians, were being replaced by Armenians, Circassians and Vainakhs in lands that had once been theirs. Mamia was aware of the fomenting disgruntledness amongst many of his subjects, but in his mind this grumbling came solely from the old nobility whose power he’d broken. The answer, of course, was to win some military victories to make himself look better. Mamia wasn’t a dumb man, but he wasn’t especially good at most things beyond being a general and so his bickering councillors were essentially running Kartvelia internally.

Mamia’s favored tactic of ‘victory to bring legitimacy’ led him north across the mountains in 1532. He attempted to force Ma’aru the Grey, as he was now known, to pay tribute to him, and advanced up the Caucasian Gates with a large army. However, Ma’aru had moved more quickly and occupied Aleks’andretsikhe against the Kartvelians, hauling cannons up into it and effectively barring the door over the mountains. Upon reaching the fortress, Mamia was driven back under heavy cannon-fire, and after a few weeks of failed siege he was forced to sue for peace. (Note: This is a highly truncated version of events).

This defeat sparked a conspiracy to depose Mamia. The previously mentioned aggrieved parties came together to overthrow the king, but this burgeoning coup was nearly strangled in its crib by infighting amongst the would-be rebels. All parties agreed that a king should be raised up to replace Mamia, but they couldn’t agree which king ought to be the one to take the throne. Most of the old nobility wanted either themselves or Giorgi Bagrationi of Guria, the most powerful of the surviving Bagrationi, to take the throne, while most of the new nobility wanted one of their own, a former lieutenant of Mamia named Giorgi Bzipi. This divide threatened to tear apart the revolt plot for several harrowing months and caused a long delay in any real organization, but then a compromise was reached: David of Trapezous. Unlike the other candidates, David could offer outside support, and to the old nobility his Trapezuntine holdings would be enough of a distraction to keep him from interfering on their affairs, while to the new nobility his foreignness would allow him to reform the Kartvelian state and crush those whose interference had caused Ananuri. In 1533, an invitation was quietly sent to Trapezous. David had already been preparing to proclaim himself the rightful King of Kartvelia via Keteon’s claim once Arslan had died, and so after vacillating for about a second he wrote back and agreed. After some negotiation by correspondence, David and the Kartvelian nobles agreed to a joint strike against Mamia once Arslan was no longer a factor.

In the interim, David began mobilizing and making final preparations for an invasion of Kartvelia, something that should have been noticed immediately by Mamia or the Qutlughids. However, Mamia was distracted by Circassian raids and migrations coming from the north-east frontier--the collapse of the Golden Horde had sent waves of Mongols and other steppe peoples out in all directions, and Circassia was one of the few regions too weak to hold them off or assimilate them--and trying to deal with increasingly aggressive Azeri and Armenian clans, while the Qutlughid bureaucracy was far more concerned with Arslan’s impending demise than they were with one of their vassal states acting strangely. The Kartvelian nobility, or at least those in on the planned revolt, also began to quietly prepare themselves for war. Word of Arslan’s death reached Akhaltsikhe in late April, and the first of the Kartvelians proclaimed the revolt a few days later. Word of this actually reached Trapezous before Arslan’s death had, and so David had two panic-inducing days before word of the old lion’s death and the rest of the rebels joining the cause reached him. Once confirmation that the rebels had in fact kicked off the war reached him on the 1st of May he leapt into action.

The first lord to raise the standard of revolt was Alek’sandre of Lidza, the Lord of Samtskhe-Akhaltsikhe, and for this reason the war would be known to history as the Samtskheote Rebellion. The namesake region struck for David from the outset, as Mamia had done little to protect them from Armenian migrations from the south (or so they thought), and Lidza led a rebel army north towards Kutaisi within a week of his proclamation. Other lords soon followed. Guria, of course, also struck for the rebels, as did the Principality of Gori, which controlled the Mtkvari Valley north of Tbilisi, the tribes of the Pkhovelian March in the north-east and the Duchy of Racha, which lay in the mountains north of Kutaisi. Meanwhile, the royal crownlands, most of Imereti, all of Abkhazia and a few distant holdings including the ruins of Tbilisi struck for Dadiani. Several territories in the east were held by men loyal to Dadiani, but seeing the strength of the rebels they proclaimed their neutrality. The Svans descended into their own civil war over who to back.

Mamia reacted swiftly. If not a good ruler, he was at the very least a good general and recognized at once that the situation was difficult but not unsalvageable. His first act was to sack most of his advisors for letting a conspiracy of this scale go undetected. Most of the western half of the country remained loyal, and though on paper it was smaller it was by far the most densely populated part of Kartvelia. Trapezuntine involvement was certain--the rebel motto was ‘For God and King Davit’, not exactly subtle--and Kartvelia’s coastline would immediately become a liability. Racha was the most isolated rebel region, and if he could knock it out he could turn his full attention to the other rebels. Once Racha was subdued he could move against Gori, knock it out and swing the neutrals back onto his side, allowing him to break Guria, Samtskhe and whatever Trapezuntine forces had managed to arrive. He raised his armies immediately and summoned his brother Dyrmit, the new march-ward of Abkhazia, with all his men.

With speed a priority, Mamia struck north in early May with a force of 4,000 cavalry and mounted infantry. The decision to betray the Dadianis was unpopular with the common people of Racha, and he had no trouble finding guides for an overland attack against Ts’esi, using a network of small valleys and forgotten roads to race through the Caucasian foothills and bypass most of the Duchy’s defenses in the process. After only six days of hard riding through the backcountry, Mamia and his men exploded out of the wilds at Ambrolauri and took the city by storm. Ts’esi, less than an hour’s ride away[1], heard, or rather saw, of Mamia’s approach before the word had even reached them, and the panicking defenders surrendered at once. Shoshita Chkheidze, its duke, was killed on the spot for treason, and Mamia elevated his chief guide, one Rati the Shepherd, as its duke, and the rest of the region was quickly secured.

Meanwhile, the Trapezuntines burst onto the scene in the west. 10,000 infantry and 5,000 cavalry landed at Vatoume on 6 May, followed a day later by 10,000 infantry at Poti near the mouth of the Rioni. In one swift move, David had deposited two formidable armies at Mamia’s back doorstep. The southern army, led by David himself, raised a small garrison from the (majority Pontic) population and then went north, linking up with the Gurian army under Bagrationi on 11 May near Shekvetili. The two men despised each other almost at once, but were willing to put aside their mutual hatred for the sake of their shared goals. With constant naval resupply and hence no baggage train, the Davidine force was able to advance with great speed along the coast, reaching Poti on 14 May. The city was under siege by a few hundred militia from the surrounding countryside--the Trapezuntines hadn’t sallied out because it seemed like a trap--but the arrival of the main force caused them to disperse. There were now some 30,000 Davidine soldiers camped less than a month’s march from Kutaisi: the situation for the Dadianis was rapidly becoming untenable.

Nonetheless, Dadiani was able to assemble a force of some 12,000 men in Kutaisi, most of them infantry and many of them veterans of previous campaigns under him. Things looked quite grim, and even with Dyrmit’s army of 5,000 he would be outnumbered by nearly two-to-one in a standup fight. Still, he might be able to pull out a victory. As far as he could tell, David was motivated by simple avarice. Imereti was probably already lost, but if he could inflict a bloody enough defeat against the Ponts and knock out the nobles in the east, then he might be able to cling to power in the east. He just needed to buy time. He dispatched Dyrmit to delay the Davidine advance in the west while he went for a crushing victory in the east.

The Samtskheotes had converged with the other eastern rebels at Gori by mid-May, together forming a host of about 1,000 cavalry and 8,000 infantry, most of the latter being poor quality and overall being a very uninspiring force. However, 3,000 Pkhovelian highlanders, renowned for their ferocity in battle, would join them two weeks later. With their army united (but not their leadership), the eastern rebels began making their way west by the beginning of June. Had Mamia been able to move with his desired speed, he would have crushed them. However, some years before he had made the foolish decision of allowing the majority-Pontic garrisons of Vakhanistskalikastron, Bezhatubanikastron and Rikotitskhe to settle in the lands around their castles and intermarry with the locals. As soon as word of David’s arrival had reached them, these Ponts had taken up arms, quietly slipped into their old keeps--they had built them, after all--turned out the official garrisons and then turned their cannons west. Rather than winning a quick victory, Mamia spent weeks banging his head against their walls before being forced to withdraw by the approach of the rebels.

Meanwhile, in the west, Dyrmit was doing the opposite of what he was supposed to be doing. Seeing the writing on the wall, the king’s brother entered secret negotiations with David as soon as he was within a day’s ride, offering to surrender his force to the Davidines if not outright switch sides in exchange for estates, a position of nobility in the new Trapezuntine government and total amnesty from the many enemies he’d made in Kartvelia. Seeing this as a small price for removing a major piece from the board and a potential major morale blow to the Dadiani cause, David accepted. However, Dyrmit feared that his men would kill him if he just surrendered, so he made another agreement with David. He contrived to cross the Rioni in the middle of the day at a prearranged point, and as soon as his army was halfway across the Davidines sprung their ambush and forced his men to lay down their arms. Most were sent away without their weapons, but those willing to defect joined the ranks of Bagrationi’s men.

Word of this defeat spread like wildfire, and soon reached Mamia, who was fighting a delaying action at Shorapni in hopes that the rebels would turn to infighting if they failed to make headway. When informed that his brother had been captured and that the road to Kutaisi was now wide open, he fell into a brief period of despair. Realizing that their hopes of victory were now slim to none, Dadiani’s army began to fall apart around him. The king realized what was happening and tried to stop it, breaking camp and marching west in hopes of offering a final defense of the capital, but his men weren’t eager to lose their lives in what was clearly a doomed cause. By the time he reached Kutaisi on 12 June, with rebel forces close behind, his host had dwindled to only 3,000. The main Davidine host was camped less than three days to the west, and the walls were closing in. He pondered burning the city until his wife, Maria, caught wind of it.

“It is over.” she said. “We have lost. Too many of our people are dead, do not kill more.”

Dadiani and a few followers abandoned the city and rode north into the wilds. Kutaisi was taken by the eastern rebels the next day, and on 15 June, after a stunning whirlwind of a campaign, David entered the city in a triumphant procession and was crowned Davit X of Kartvelia.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] At this time Ts’esi sat on a ridgeline opposite its current location.
strong revenge from David !

Damn... after almost two months of reading this gem of a TL I finally made it to the present!!!
So , amazing job in both quality and quantity. Like you were on fire in the first months so going slower now is the obvious thing to do so you avoid another writer's block.
Again amazing work , I have to say it twice, didn't expect a Trapezous survival TL would fascinate me this much.

On the TL now. God-darn it David just make a son!!! :p.
Too bad for me that I wanted a federated Georgia as an ally and not directly under Trapezous. Now the Emperors have to focus on the East more and not the West where a lot of Greeks still live under the Turkish yoke. As well as Georgia is no longer a buffer with the steppe states or with the Persians. Now they directly border them and have to spend effort and capital to fortify and repopulate the area as well as keep the nobles from fighting each other as all nobles do .I wanted to learn more about the Nikaians they are so neglected till now and yet so loyal for some reason. For me Nikaia should be the crown title not Kartavelia due to the greekness and the cultural similarities with Trapezous.

The return of Kadir caught me by surprise really. I can see why you would want a ruler that you have favors to call, say an attack against the Persians or a defense against them. The fact that Kadir tries to reform the state back to a fighting force is a problem. Although he will likely not succeed the slight strengthening of that state is a major threat to the Pontic side that must not be allowed to exist .The good thing here is the heirless Sultan which of used correctly could divide the Sultanate into smaller pieces easier to swallow. The union with Karaman is to me absolutely impossible for both sides for political, cultural, religious and ethnic reasons.

I wanna know what happened in the New World by now or for that matter all around Europe but in a very summarized way so it won't take a lot to write and also plant seeds for ideas. Same with the Albanians and Moreotes in the Balkans. The struggle to remove kebab is fascinating to me as well as seeing the kebab turn into an abomination , because that is a Greek Sultanate. Both because Greek Muslims were so few and because that is a perfect way to alienate the Bulgarians who themselves are not Muslims so why would that state survive? The only reason I can think of is economic but after a brutal civil war and a Crusade the Ottoman state is in serious debt trouble and manpower trouble, so what gives? . Here I would like some spiciness but no pressure here. When you have ideas and time of course you do it.

Before closing I would like to say that the New World is of absolutely no value compared to the Silk trade. The Portuguese made their Empire on the trade with the Indies not from Brazil and the Spanish did the same but through the Philippines and Mexico although they got a lot of gold which crippled their economy with inflation...Nice work I guess. The New World would become major only when sufficient population centers enable a viable trade and the entire continent is utilized for both extraction of goods and producing them so about the time of the Industrial Revolution.

And thanks to the author for this TL. Dude even a chapter a month would be ok if you keep up the quality which looking back to it you have for a long time so I am certain that you will!!

This is an update I tried to spend a long time on, but ultimately had to rush because of prep work for a trade show this weekend and some pretty bad storms where I live. The story as it's written in my outline makes sense, but I'm not sure I managed to convey that well in the text itself. If you have any comments or criticism, please let me know,

Part LXVI: Diogenes’ Ghost (1537-1540)

Hegemony over Anatolia and the lands beyond had been contested between the Rhomans and the Rumites for centuries by the time of David, ever since Romanos Diogenes had been captured at Manzikert. This great struggle had raged for centuries as the Rhomans and their successors battled the Seljuks and their successors for hegemony, fighting swinging both ways but the Turks usually getting the better of it and subjecting the Rhomans to their rule. Even Trapezous herself had been forced to pay homage to Konya on more than one occasion. Never had the Rhomans forced whichever sultan held power to pay homage and submit to them, despite vast amounts of blood and treasure spent in the war for the ancient homeland. But there was a first time for everything….

Even as Kartvelia began to heal from its long and fractious civil wars and the steppe invasion, the Qutlughid Empire was spiraling further into a war between brothers. Despite his superiority in money and manpower, Siyavash had failed to launch his promised drive on Herat in 1535, instead losing half of his army to attrition and being forced to retreat from the walls of Mashhad. This debacle had cost him tens of thousands of soldiers and much of his prestige, and his brother’s power began to wax as he waned. However, Alp Temur’s counter-stroke the following years had made it as far as Tabaristan before being halted and turned back by Siyavash, while their respective commanders battled over the roads between Isfahan and Kerman to no avail.

With his brothers duking it out and winning nothing but piles of corpses, Mohammed Khosrau’s star began to rise. A clever and pious man, he had managed to organize his loose force of followers into a semi-legitimate army which could repel Siyavash’s punitive expeditions sent over the Zagros. Given his position in Baghdad, the possibility of declaring himself caliph and ushering in a new era of Islamic greatness was a tempting one, though he hesitated to do so before he had a consolidated victory. He transformed into a radical and hard-living man prone to fiery sermons, and soon his army swelled to the tens of thousands his brothers could raise. In 1537 he marched on Tabriz. Siyavash lacked the manpower to deal with this by himself, and wrote to the so far neutral David of Trapezous demanding aid.

By the time this letter reached David in May 1537, the king had returned to Kutaisi. David skimmed over the letter, made sure he had read everything right, then had everyone else in the room when the messenger came before him, arrested and packed off to a remote monastery. His long dalliance in Kartvelia had two purposes: Firstly, to bind his new kingdom into his old network of realms, and secondly to make himself seem an effective and worthwhile vassal if the Qutlughids recovered. Now that it was completely clear that none of the claimants would be able to win a swift victory, it was time to take the next step in his long-term plan. He moved court back to Trapezous, ordered the bandons to prepare for marshalling the next year and sent a letter over the mountains onto the steppe….

In the six years since he had fled into the wilds, Kadir Karaman had undergone a radical transformation. Less than a hundred men still followed him, and he recognized that if he tried to live as he previously had then they would all be killed. He became capable, if not skilled, with the sword, bow and spear, took to base fighting and wrestling and became an even better horseman than he had before. The mandarin had become Menelaus (not literally), a short but well-muscled and imposing man with a strange voice and stranger face. The remnants of the nafjayş became the foundation of the Green Company, a mercenary band that was never out of work in the chaotic world of the collapsing Golden Horde. By 1537, the Company had grown to some 2,500 strong, a second-tier power in the region.

After Boyabad, Kadir and David had made an agreement: If either of them were to be overthrown, the other would restore them to their throne in exchange for tribute. When Kadir received David’s letter that summer stating that Ibrahim had fallen ill and his Persian doctors would be unable to treat him, he read between the lines and the Green Company abandoned their contract, marched to the nearest port and sailed for Trapezous. After a brief scare because of the arrival of two dozen unflagged ships, David welcomed Kadir into the city (but not his men, the horde of mercenaries stayed outside the walls) and they got to strategizing. Ibrahim was weak, that much was obvious, but there were a number of ways a restoration could go wrong. Kadir wasn’t exactly beloved after his one-sided war against Arslan the Great, and coupling that with support from the ancestral enemy painted a less than rosy picture. Ultimately, they decided, the best option was to muster as many Turks to their cause as they could and use them as cover for large Trapezuntine forces, giving them as high a profile as possible and to highlight the abuses the nobility performed while Ibrahim was too weak to stop them.

That winter, as the neostrategos assembled in Trapezous or Magnesia for the next year’s campaign, Kadir’s agents slipped across the mountains. They made contact with a number of men who the deposed sultan considered loyal, and a number of them agreed to join Kadir in arms when he invaded the sultanate directly but not before. A handful of them took up arms quickly and began assembling men of their own to support their true ruler (in their minds) and waylay any efforts to intercept him. A number of them actually supported Ibrahim, but when word reached Konya the sitting sultan dithered between trying to assassinate his brother, raising an army to head him off in the passes, or fleeing into exile, spending so much time that he wound up doing none of them.

In March 1538, just as the passes began to thaw, the Rumo-Trapezutnine army crossed the mountain. 2,000 neostrategoi and a force of 6,000 Nikaian bandonites and volunteers marched south in the far west under one Ioannes Papidis, intended to draw Ibrahimic forces away from the main offensive and to protect remnant Greek populations in the region. The main force, meanwhile, consisted of 5,000 eleutheroi, 5,000 neostrategoi, 5,000 bandonoi and 4,000 keselpatzoi[1] light cavalry under David and the Green Company under Kadir, the latter reinforced with additional mercenaries and Rumite exiles to a strength of 4,000. The total force numbered 23,000 plus cannons and their train.

The joint army made a beeline for Sivas, the keselpatzoi ranging ahead of the main force as scouts and a sort of vanguard. David had intentionally kept the number of cavalry in his army quite low, as he planned to use a practical fleet of transport carts to ensure swift and decisive movement. Despite a bottleneck in the passes through the Pontic Mountains, this plan worked quite well. In only three weeks, they reached their first goal, arriving a full four weeks before the defenders’ (badly calculated) estimation of their arrival. The city threw open its gates at once rather than face a sack, and Kadir entered Sivas in triumph. He proclaimed his restoration as the true Sultan of Rum, and not a soul in the town dared to disagree.

Ibrahim, meanwhile, was finally jolted into action by the loss of a major city. He called up as many men as he could, but a number of his vassals declared their neutrality in what was sure to be a brother’s war and he was able to muster only 7,000 Rumite soldiers, which he bolstered with around 4,000 Egyptian mercenary horsemen. Ibrahim was far from a skilled general, but even he could see that his brother and his foreign ally’s path would come through Kayseri, the second city of the sultanate, and moved to block them there. His logistical system was of a far poorer quality than David’s, though, and his wagon train was partly dependent on oxen, which only slowed it even further.

David and Kadir reached Kayseri on 3 May, only three weeks after they had departed Sivas. The rather foolish governor of the neighboring Northern Taurus March had decided that picking a fight with them was an excellent idea, and though his army had crumbled and fled under the pre-battle cannonade he delayed the allies’ advance by two weeks. Kayseri had been the cornerstone of Kayqubad’s eastern defenses, and despite Ibrahim’s general incompetence it was a strong and well-defended fortress city with a garrison of several thousand. Upon arriving in the valley around the town, Kadir sent an embassy to the fortress and demanded they surrender: The delegation’s heads were shot back into camp.

Slightly reduced in number thanks to a small force sent west to take Ankara, the Rumo-Trapezuntines laid siege, surrounding the town and pounding it with cannons from all sides. Some of the most heated fighting of the war took place on the mountains to the south of the town, as the vast importance of Mount Ali and Mount Rohotiq had been seen for generations and they were both heavily fortified. Cannons roared from the flatlands and their peaks as emplacements exchanged fire, and for several days the fate of the city was held by the mortar ball and the climber’s rope. On the night of 10 May, a group of Laz mountaineers scaled Mount Rohotiq and threw grenades into its arsenal, managing to scramble to safety before the fort erupted into a fireball. The Ponts would take the height the next day and turn to rain hell on Kayseri.

After a month of siege, Ibrahim and his army finally arrived outside the city on June 16. The summer sun had glowed with danger before he had even departed Konya three weeks before, and because of his poor logistics he’d lost more than a thousand men to heat, thirst or just outright desertion. Nonetheless, he was determined to give battle….for now, at least. He was outnumbered by a fair bit--10,000 against 18,000--but he had to life the siege before the second city of his realm fell. Given his poor grasp of strategy and tactics, the best way he can devise to do this is to attack the enemy siege camp under nightfall and hope that surprise and the darkness allow him to pull off an upset victory.

To Ibrahim’s credit, it almost worked. However, he had failed to account for one thing, namely that this was the most obvious thing he could do. David had dug a seven-foot deep trench around the edge of his camp, and Kadir had done the same but with sharp rocks at the bottom and a punji fence around its edge. Under the cover of darkness, Ibrahim’s army blundered into this trap and many fell to their deaths, being crushed under the feet of their comrades, and their silence turned into shouts and screaming as men and their officers tried to figure out what the hell had happened. This noise woke the allied army, and as they formed up Ibrahim sounded a call for retreat. Before they could scramble out of range, the guns on Mount Rohotiq swiveled around and drove them off with double shot.

The following morning--18 June--the Battle of Kayseri is fought. Ibrahim’s 6,000 men--the others realized they were led by an idiot and ran for their lives the night before--assembled on the eastern side of a ridgeline to the east of the city. Ibrahim’s plan was to array his army at the edge of the slope with his cannons behind him, then fill the allies with grapeshot as they came into view. Meanwhile, the remnants of his mercenary force lay off to one side of the field in preparation for ambush. If all went well, the first few volleys would stun the enemy, then the heavy cavalry charge would panic them and allow an uphill countercharge that would shatter the numerically superior enemy. David and Kadir, meanwhile, planned for a force of mounted infantry to circle around and attack the enemy in their rear and pin them in place while mounted eleutheroi (and the rest of the army) charged over the ridgeline and smashed them.

The resulting battle lasted for about half an hour. Before the encirclement had been completed, the main force advanced towards the ridgeline on horseback, shouting “FOR GOD AND KADIR!” or “O STAVROS NIKA!” depending on their native tongue. Their shouts and the thunder of their hooves was so loud that the morale of Ibrahim’s men broke and they ran in all directions. Few of them got very far, as the sight of the enemy running for their lives spurred the entire front to charge at full speed, running them down and trampling any survivors beneath their hooves.. Ibrahim and the cannons were both captured intact.

With his brother in chains but still alive--after all, it wasn’t like Kadir could make male heirs himself--Kadir and David were able to take Kayseri, subject it to the usual sacking reserved for traitors, and then reassemble their army and march on the capital. Kadir swept back onto his throne within a few short weeks, and gave the agreed homage to David and Trapezous. For a short time it seemed as if he would be able to pick off where he left off, but alas, this was not to be. During Kadir’s absence, Ibrahim--out of neglect and inability rather than maliciousness--had allowed the provincial nobility to regain much of their power. Now that his brother was back and intent on restoring the prewar status quo, many of these nobility were quite put out.

Kadir would face several small rebellions over the following years, but because of the rebels’ inability or unwillingness to band together he was able to defeat them and reform the Rumite state into a semi-functioning state. That, however, is beyond the purview of this story, as all but a few Trapezuntines had returned to their homeland. For the time being, at least….
Kadir's return is interesting and quite unexpected :)

Eparkhos

Banned
Update should be out tonight, but I've been moving around for a bit and it might not be the best. I'm planning a (non-narrative) appendice for one special thing that's going to happen.

Eparkhos

Banned
Agreed with the posts above. People have their own lives and we all must except that fact. But I do hope you manage to update this on Friday. Good luck with the chapters from the North
Sorry I messed the timing, I had to upstakes (temporarily at least) and move a couple timezones over for a few weeks, so I hope you can forgive me. I'd say I'm aiming for a more frequent upload schedule, but if I said that then a legion of angels would come down to keep me from doing it.
Dude we have already received several high quality chapters I think we can go on for 2 months without any other chapters.
So take all the breaks you want.
Thank you! I'll try to keep the breaks shorter from now on, but....
strong revenge from David !
Kadir's return is interesting and quite unexpected :)
Thanks. I don't mean to ramble so much here, but part of the reason why David helped restore Kadir was because it was ridiculously unlikely. With Kadir on top, any efforts against the Trapezuntines within Rum itself must focus on Kadir first, and a civil war in your neighbor's country is generally nicer than one in your own.
@goumaister
Damn... after almost two months of reading this gem of a TL I finally made it to the present!!!
So , amazing job in both quality and quantity. Like you were on fire in the first months so going slower now is the obvious thing to do so you avoid another writer's block.
Again amazing work , I have to say it twice, didn't expect a Trapezous survival TL would fascinate me this much.

On the TL now. God-darn it David just make a son!!! :p.
Too bad for me that I wanted a federated Georgia as an ally and not directly under Trapezous. Now the Emperors have to focus on the East more and not the West where a lot of Greeks still live under the Turkish yoke. As well as Georgia is no longer a buffer with the steppe states or with the Persians. Now they directly border them and have to spend effort and capital to fortify and repopulate the area as well as keep the nobles from fighting each other as all nobles do .I wanted to learn more about the Nikaians they are so neglected till now and yet so loyal for some reason. For me Nikaia should be the crown title not Kartavelia due to the greekness and the cultural similarities with Trapezous.
Firstly, thank you for reading and commenting, and I'm glad you enjoy my work so much.
David's children, or lack thereof, is part of his increasingly eccentric religious beliefs, which as I've tried to foreshadow are going to be of increasing importance as time goes on. Kartvelia's position won't be set in stone, as future geopolitical shifts will essentially force Trapezous and Kartvelia into a weird union-but-not-union, like a less schizophrenic Austria-Hungary, and part of that will be the expansion of Komnenoi forces to deal with events on the steppe.

There will be more on the Nikaians both tonight and hopefully in the near future, as they will be of great importance. The Nikaians have been quite neglected, unfortunately, but they are pretty much guaranteed to not try and break away (although they may revolt for better treatment) due to their small population (only about 500,000 compared to the 2.5 million of Trapezous and the 1.5 million of Kartvelia, and the many hostile powers which surround them. Nikaia already is a crown title, BTW, but because David has the same ordinal in both Trapezous and Nikaia (I), while he has a seperate one in Kartvelia (X), he is listed as David I and X rather than David I and I and X.
The return of Kadir caught me by surprise really. I can see why you would want a ruler that you have favors to call, say an attack against the Persians or a defense against them. The fact that Kadir tries to reform the state back to a fighting force is a problem. Although he will likely not succeed the slight strengthening of that state is a major threat to the Pontic side that must not be allowed to exist .The good thing here is the heirless Sultan which of used correctly could divide the Sultanate into smaller pieces easier to swallow. The union with Karaman is to me absolutely impossible for both sides for political, cultural, religious and ethnic reasons.
The main reason why David restored Kadir was essentially that he was doomed to be a weak ruler by merit of his position if nothing else. He has the Green Company and some hardcore supporters who suffered under Ibrahim, but otherwise is regarded as a Trapezuntine puppet. Any reforms he attempts to make will be widely hated, and he is and will face many revolts against his rule. David's goal with the restoration is to keep the Rumites divided and inward-facing, and thus not a major threat, for as long as possible while he embarks on his grander plans.
I wanna know what happened in the New World by now or for that matter all around Europe but in a very summarized way so it won't take a lot to write and also plant seeds for ideas. Same with the Albanians and Moreotes in the Balkans. The struggle to remove kebab is fascinating to me as well as seeing the kebab turn into an abomination , because that is a Greek Sultanate. Both because Greek Muslims were so few and because that is a perfect way to alienate the Bulgarians who themselves are not Muslims so why would that state survive? The only reason I can think of is economic but after a brutal civil war and a Crusade the Ottoman state is in serious debt trouble and manpower trouble, so what gives? . Here I would like some spiciness but no pressure here. When you have ideas and time of course you do it.

Before closing I would like to say that the New World is of absolutely no value compared to the Silk trade. The Portuguese made their Empire on the trade with the Indies not from Brazil and the Spanish did the same but through the Philippines and Mexico although they got a lot of gold which crippled their economy with inflation...Nice work I guess. The New World would become major only when sufficient population centers enable a viable trade and the entire continent is utilized for both extraction of goods and producing them so about the time of the Industrial Revolution.
This update actually covers the Ottoman death spiral. In regards to the West, the New World and affairs across the greater world, I'll get around to covering them when things in the Near East slow down, which will be in the 1560s as the earliest. Sorry.

I'm kind of short on time, so I'll limit myself to these replies for now and try to get back later. I'm a broken record at this point, but there's other stuff I have to do.

Eparkhos

Banned
Y'know, as I was giving the document for tonight a final once-over, I realized that it's a hot mess in its current form, and needs to split in two (at least) to justify being posted. I'd like to apologize first for getting y'all's hopes up for nothing, but I think it would be best if I waited until tomorrow to put out a better version of the first half.

Eparkhos

Banned
Wait is David trying to lay the foundations for a personal union between Ruminite, Kartvelia, and Trapezous? Otherwise, his actions seem to speak more as him fucking around more.
No, a personal union with the Rumites would be impossible given the whole 'ancestral blood feud' thing. As for David, I think this is a criticism that will come up several times in the near future, so I'll try and establish a basic rule: Everything that David does makes sense to him, and everything is in pursuit of a long-term goal. What that goal is can't be revealed yet, but I intend for the road there to be one hell of a ride.
Update wrote he won’t have another wife.He planned to live out his days wifeless and childless.

From the perspective of the Komnenians, all of the non-Komnenian emperors are usurpers, and in this timeline, the Trepezuntines have accepted the Komnenians as THE dynasty.
I don't think I said David intended to go full Basil2, and if I did it was a mistake because I meant for him to go without a spouse for the short-term. You are right about the Komnenoi and the Trapezuntines, anyone who claims the purple without 'Komnenos' in their surname is going to be lynched.
Hey where are you planning for David next wife to come from. I do believe he should marry a Nobel women from Nicaea or maybe from mainland Greece, but most likely from Nicaea. Not sure if that’s a good idea but it is an idea.
Best match would probably be some Kartvelian dynast to shore up his position in the east, but a diplomatic marriage with Albania, Morea or Poland could easily be in the cards.
Does he have any brothers or any other family members who can take over after his death. If not then this can be the end of the komnenoi line.
There are dozens if not hundreds of 'Komnenos Whateveros' drifting around the Christian world and beyond, as anyone with half a brain cleared out during Alexios V's purges. The most 'legitimate' (i,.e. Orthodox) claimant would be Andreas Palaiologos Komnenos (b.1495), the nephew of Alexandros II, who distinguished himself as a general during the Epirote theater of the War of the Three Leagues and as of 1540 will be part of Shkoze's coalition of the willing after getting kicked out of Morea.

RE: The Tecklenburg Komnenoi: @Denliner basically hit the nail on the head. Although the common people have a rather high opinion of Alex2 (he did preside over three decades of peace and prosperity, and given the bloody rampages that followed his abdication most of the common people think A5 had him offed), the second 'German' and 'Latin' get mentioned in conjunction with their names they'd be out of the running for sure.

Yes, but the Byzantine succession and the Ottoman succession have something in common, the theme of 'As God/Allah wills it'. Meaning if some ambitious fellow can seize the throne and hold it, then he is legitimate.
This is more or less correct and entirely possible for Trapezous....
Yeah but it just doesn’t have the zing the Komenos have. Also, I feel way too attached to them to let a usurper dynasty rule over the Empire considering they were the last good dynasty.
....but that's why it won't happen for a while.
I believe that most likely that David will find Komnenians that he will adopt and make him his successor.
Most likely, yes.

I'm glad your back and reading!

You also bring up a point that I'm not sure I got across in the text himself. Skaramagos himself only killed about a half-dozen people in Tabriz, but once word got out that there was some skilled assassin killing people with a golden crossbow, a lot of copy-cat attacks started, their real intention being disguised in the general chaos Skaramagos was causing and ultimately being chalked up to one man.

Status
Not open for further replies.