Alternate warships of nations

HMS Leopard 1915 half sister of HMS Tiger the main modification was the switch to solely oil fired small tube boilers and an increase in the armoured belt. Fought at Jutland and took fire off Queen Mary at a critical moment allegedly allowing her to survive. Claimed the fatal hits on Seydlitz but this is disputed. Three Majestic class ships were decommissioned to provide trained crew for her.

View attachment 661071
I considered doing something similar IMTL as this. Eventually went with a sixth QE with small tube boilers and higher speed.

McPherson

Banned
I had always heard Soviet submarines were noisier than their counterparts in western navies. Annoyingly wherever I saw this likely true but of information stated it offered no explanation as to why this was aside from the USSR was terrible and the US of eagles rules and has the best stuff.
The Russians had trouble with screw design and milling, sound isolation, rafting and QC in construction. Their nuke boats were built to be fast and deep and were thus biased to engineering solutions that way.
Recently however I was watching a sub brief video (an excellent YouTube channel) and he said the Soviets doubled up most things in their subs. Leading to twice the noise and adding great difficulty in isolating components to silence.
That QC problem meant they built in redundancy, but Americans have always built in redundancy in their own boats, so I do not weight it as much as others might as a reason for the rafting and screw noise problems. Russian reactors have been "problematic" from a design flaw point of view as far as noise is concerned.
This seems logical to me, but is there anyone else who has a similar theory to explain things? Without making it seem that the USSR was hopeless and could not hope to compete with the might and brains of the US because they were commie pigs? I know the Soviets often were playing catch up to the west, but this often seems over blown and doesn't actually explain why.
See previous comments. Those who think Russian boats are "crap" are "mirroring". The Russians made deliberate design compromises for what they wanted their boats to do; go fast and dive deeply. If your tactics are to ambush and then run after launch, it matters not how noisy one is after the speed burst or if one's reactor designs produces crews who will die of radiation sickness. There is the American way and there is the Russian way. Both work. Both are extremely deadly and effective against their enemies. How they work against each other is the big question.

The Russians had trouble with screw design and milling, sound isolation, rafting and QC in construction. Their nuke boats were built to be fast and deep and were thus biased to engineering solutions that way.

That QC problem meant they built in redundancy, but Americans have always built in redundancy in their own boats, so I do not weight it as much as others might as a reason for the rafting and screw noise problems. Russian reactors have been "problematic" from a design flaw point of view as far as noise is concerned.

See previous comments. Those who think Russian boats are "crap" are "mirroring". The Russians made deliberate design compromises for what they wanted their boats to do; go fast and dive deeply. If your tactics are to ambush and then run after launch, it matters not how noisy one is after the speed burst or if one's reactor designs produces crews who will die of radiation sickness. There is the American way and there is the Russian way. Both work. Both are extremely deadly and effective against their enemies. How they work against each other is the big question.
Yeah I thi k a degree is doctrine is involved as well. If I'm ever ambitious I think I could put my Russian skills to use looking at original documents to shake up the typical narrative.

HMS Leopard 1915 half sister of HMS Tiger the main modification was the switch to solely oil fired small tube boilers and an increase in the armoured belt. Fought at Jutland and took fire off Queen Mary at a critical moment allegedly allowing her to survive. Claimed the fatal hits on Seydlitz but this is disputed. Three Majestic class ships were decommissioned to provide trained crew for her.

View attachment 661071
What was she made instead of? Or did the RN get another capital ship the year that it got the 4 Iron Dukes in otl?

There was a proposal to build a second Tiger so presumably they had the yard space. I suppose if they wanted they could have not accepted the order for one of the export battleships to free up the space.

There was a proposal to build a second Tiger so presumably they had the yard space. I suppose if they wanted they could have not accepted the order for one of the export battleships to free up the space.
presumably one of the Royal Dockyards would have built her since they didn't really do export orders.

HMS Leopard 1915 half sister of HMS Tiger the main modification was the switch to solely oil fired small tube boilers and an increase in the armoured belt.

What are you envisioning here? Increasing maximum thickness or more uniform coverage?

Fought at Jutland and took fire off Queen Mary at a critical moment allegedly allowing her to survive. Claimed the fatal hits on Seydlitz but this is disputed.

Someone put a hole in the broadside torpedo flat?

Trying to imagine Captain von Egidy frantically searching Seydlitz compartment by compartment for Phil Swift on that final leg home to Wilhelmshaven.

7b2.gif

A few of the Trafalgar survivors might be in contention. But if you mean in the *modern* (steel) era...yeah, I am hard pressed to think of any in worse condition.

It really depends on how you define "punishment". There's no way on Earth Seydlitz would have survived the night after the battle, but the survivors (by definition) obviously did.

It really depends on how you define "punishment". There's no way on Earth Seydlitz would have survived the night after the battle, but the survivors (by definition) obviously did.

Ah - by "survivors," I meant the most damaged British and Allied *ships* still afloat at the end of Trafalgar.