Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Dear lord, it is a basemap.

That's horrifying.

And have it here bigger in all its full weirdness:

0991plsthik61.jpg

What's especially striking (apart from the glaring errors) is the varying level of detail.
For Example Japan, New Guinea and Australia are very detailed, Indonesia and the Philippines are kinda meh (wouldn't be bad but being right next to the obviously more detailed islands the difference is obvious) but still better than the mainland Asia coastlines; much of Vietnam's and China's coast seem to have been just made with a drawing compass (and where they ended using that compass and started doing it by hand they didn't even erase the overlapping bits) although given how Kamchatka ended up looking the parts where they used that compass aren't even the worst...

And have it here bigger in all its full weirdness:

View attachment 660226

What's especially striking (apart from the glaring errors) is the varying level of detail.
For Example Japan, New Guinea and Australia are very detailed, Indonesia and the Philippines are kinda meh (wouldn't be bad but being right next to the obviously more detailed islands the difference is obvious) but still better than the mainland Asia coastlines; much of Vietnam's and China's coast seem to have been just made with a drawing compass (and where they ended using that compass and started doing it by hand they didn't even erase the overlapping bits) although given how Kamchatka ended up looking the parts where they used that compass aren't even the worst...

1. Denmark seems to be an island
2. apparently US border is a physical feature (or the US is the only country that exists)
3. Eastern Med was mentioned but now I look at it without distractions it is even worse.

1. Denmark seems to be an island
2. apparently US border is a physical feature (or the US is the only country that exists)
3. Eastern Med was mentioned but now I look at it without distractions it is even worse.
4. Africa is also an island.
5. However the map makers made up for that by giving the Caribbean only two islands.
6. What is going on in Panama?

6. What is going on in Panama?
Imagine someone duplicated Panama, realized there wasn‘t room for it because there‘s already one there, and simply lifted the entire isthmus into the air like a huge land arch, stretching up and over the original and connecting to Costa Rica and Colombia in slightly different places. I tried to find some fantasy artwork to express this, but there’s seemingly nothing drawn to the sheer scale of what I’m looking for.

Ah, I see they had copied both a map from South America and a map of North America but did not connect them properly so there was overlap in Panama.

I was going to make the obvious crack about Eastern Europe, but then I saw the penguins and I became actually upset.

Oh, and that’s a diver fellow checking out that woman’s heinders. I was wondering what that was.

Yep. As stylized maps go, I won't give it too much crap, although the sorta-semi-kinda-West-but-might-be-united Germany is a little weird.

But yeah. The penguins.

So sad for the poor, lost penguins.

Yep. As stylized maps go, I won't give it too much crap, although the sorta-semi-kinda-West-but-might-be-united Germany is a little weird.

But yeah. The penguins.

So sad for the poor, lost penguins.

Oh damn, this is from the Cold War and Germany is not United.

I only noticed that the flag was on Bonn thanks to you saying it. Germany looks so much like United Germany in that map.

Well, I guess this explains Eastern Europe at least. The Cold War is a pretty good reason to exclude them from the map I suppose.

Edit: btw the European microstates are gone.

Last edited:
Ford makes cars, not maps. And now we know why.

View attachment 660745
I noticed in the past week when looking up pictures of the Loch Ness Monster that a lot of the pictures are the clip art sort with it being a servant, rather than the dinosaur that most actual fictional and speculative portrayals have it. Given what is coming out of the head of this one, I think it is save to assume this version came from The Snorks. On a side note, it is almost fun to see a map that lists Bonn as the German capital.

I noticed in the past week when looking up pictures of the Loch Ness Monster that a lot of the pictures are the clip art sort with it being a servant
For a moment I thought you claimed that the Loch Ness Monster actually was a butler or a maid, before I noticed you merely mistyped serpent...

"Greater Germany"

Ah yes, Modern Bundesrepublik + Kaliningrad Oblast (- Rügen lol). Much greater indeed. (They forgot Austria too)
Also, not like the other borders are more accurate (ahem, lack of Yugoslavia) but the Bosnian-Croat border is inaccurate even when you look at modern borders. Bosnia has a short coastline IRL.

Last edited:
Well, um, it isn't the worst map we have in this thread...

Not a very hard bar to cross, granted.
Dunno, it's pretty bad... I do like the invasion from the Kaliningrad er I mean Koenigsburg Enclave though :p
Gaaah another example of (more-or-less) OTL borders on maps with intended historical context :mad:
Interesting though that they stuck the Vilnius region in with Poland, but ummm not much else in the way of altering OTL borders appropriately...

Interesting though that they stuck the Vilnius region in with Poland, but ummm not much else in the way of altering OTL borders appropriately...

They compensated by altering the locations of the Polish Cities (and Berlin is more like, Braunschweig given the position)

Anyways, have the world.

badtralia.jpg

I especially like that they didn't forget the Kaliningrad enclave (or, well, the Kaliningrad island in that case here)

They compensated by altering the locations of the Polish Cities (and Berlin is more like, Braunschweig given the position)

Anyways, have the world.

View attachment 661244

I especially like that they didn't forget the Kaliningrad enclave (or, well, the Kaliningrad island in that case here)
Holy shit was so focused on the miserable borderage that I didn't even notice that they had pushed all the Polish (and now, Ukrainian :p) cities westward a bit...

As for the new miserable mapping experience... at least it would make for some interesting port cities and trade routes :p