Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Good things to say about this map:

They didn't forget the Kaliningrad enclave, and New Zealand is also on the map. (those two missing are usually a standard feature for a bad map)

But that's it for the good things about that map.

badreligion2.jpg

Good things to say about this map:

They didn't forget the Kaliningrad enclave, and New Zealand is also on the map. (those two missing are usually a standard feature for a bad map)

But that's it for the good things about that map.

View attachment 658698
Assuming this is supposed to represent the majority religion...
Muslim Armenia, Croatia, Greece, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania and Mozambique.
Jewish Lebanon. Or Israeli Lebanon?
Christian Nigeria and Guinea.
Hindu Bhutan.
Independent Buddhist Hainan. Or is it part of Taiwan? Or Vietnam?
Senemauritania. Zambabwe. Kenuganda. South African Lesotho and Swaziland.
Submerged Belize. Probably used to fill in Lake Victoria.

(Why even have a separate colour for Taoism?)

Assuming this is supposed to represent the majority religion...
Muslim Armenia, Croatia, Greece, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania and Mozambique.
Jewish Lebanon. Or Israeli Lebanon?
Christian Nigeria and Guinea.
Hindu Bhutan.
Independent Buddhist Hainan. Or is it part of Taiwan? Or Vietnam?
Senemauritania. Zambabwe. Kenuganda. South African Lesotho and Swaziland.
Submerged Belize. Probably used to fill in Lake Victoria.

(Why even have a separate colour for Taoism?)

1. Croatia and Bosnia seem to have changed religion. (Also while mainland Greece is shown as Muslim Crete is shown as Christian. Cyprus seems to be shown as Muslim, but can't be certain).
2. TBF the number of Christians and Muslims in Nigeria is really close. I recall the difference only being a percent some years ago and it is likely this map is from several years ago (and as you can see South Sudan and Kosovo do not exist in this map).
3. Christian Hokkaido is also a fun detail.
4. Actually Confucianism and Taoism seem to be the same color.
5. The caption says: "A map showing regions where Christianity and [other] principal religions in the world are common/widespread". At least that's my translation, here is what Google Translate gives: "A map showing regions where Christianity and major religions are prevalent in the world"

This is very clearly from a Turkish Religious Studies textbook. Very MEB (National Education Ministry) in style. Probably pre-Highschool rather than Highschool level.

Last edited:
View attachment 659641
Map I found while looking at Tea related stuff
View attachment 387489
From our homework planners in school. Has God forsaken us?
I'm currently training to be a history teacher, and wandering around in the department files, I found this; the worst thing I've ever seen. The other teacher was dismayed at my disgust, crying "Well I didn't make it!"

I despair for the education of the youth of Britain.
Thanks to @Albidoom for compiling these other two instances of the same basemap.

Thanks to @Albidoom for compiling these other two instances of the same basemap.

Actually that basemap does get used even more often (and several of them are scattered across the two threads already) it's just that those two were comparatively fast to find. That lack of Eastern Mediterranean, that oddly sticking out Kamchatka, Greenland being shoved onto North America, those three are obvious pointers when you notice that it's this map again

Heck, even the moving company I worked for some years ago uses it for its logo:

badvan1.jpg

Admittedly the picture is somewhat small and America had been moved to the right (where we can be gracious that a former colleague currently blocks its view thus sparing us at least that sight) But as I mentioned, the Eastern Med (or rather the lack of it) and the weird Kamchatka are both visible.

Although admittedly when compared with the basemap this logo managed to forget even more islands (was probably too much of a hassle to stick them all on)

Ok, apart from the rather... rudimentary nature of this map... the thing that's puzzling me is - what the hell projection is that?!?! I know a lot of projections, and frankly that's a head-scratcher... 🤔
For me, it looks like some kind of azimutal projection, that is inexpertly rearranged to lock like a cylindrical one.

For me, it looks like some kind of azimutal projection, that is inexpertly rearranged to lock like a cylindrical one.
As good a guess as any :) My 1st thought was that it was an interrupted projection, like Goode's, that someone rather crudely de-interrupted to fit into a rectangle :p

Allegedly from a textbook made in Hong Kong.

As far as one can tell they didn't forget New Zealand. Pity that they seemed to have forgotten nearly everything else about map making...

Edit: I decided to put it in as a thumbnail. That map is that bad, enlarge thumb at your own risk.
Very late reply, but this is a map talking about stereotypes towards different regions (like those “Map Of The World According To Americans” thingies) so I’d wager that that map was deliberately badly drawn.
Also I think I had the same geography textbook as you did…