Alternate warships of nations

It's a derivative of the KGV just using the fact that it will have decently lighter and smaller machinery to good use, oh and adding a transom stern and a bulbous bow to increase speed with all the costs of the required water tank testing be solely paid for by my nation since I am of course a traitor(that this and the use of the Mark II 15" gun almost certainly will be used to improve the KGVs is icing on the cake). Oh and of course since I'm a traitor they will be scheduled to be completed in late September and early December of 1939 . Mind you methinks the 48 40mm Bofors and 20 5"/38s (with 4 Mark 37 directors for them) that they'll be equipped with from the beginning will be very useful indeed while in RN service.

As for your second idea that's just evil
I like your idea. In. In a TL of mine I have something similar being done by the RN to improve the KGVs after the treaty falls apart early.

And yeah I think even if my suggested design enters service through some miracle it would be astoundingly bad.

I said existing designs that were either built or ordered historically. But I suppose a bit of mix and match could be allowed so long as the resultant ship is still clearly derived from such a ship.

That being said for the traitor order how about a Soviet Soyuz class with German engines, and Italian guns with Italian made shells
Let's see. This ship:
  • Has terrible armour plating
  • Is not getting anywhere
  • Has very good guns but they shoot all over the place
Sounds like this thing might even be worse than HMS Captain.

Mind you if my design got built and ahem "legally" acquired by the RN methinks the KM and RM would be rather unhappy. Also it occurs to me that Hood could probably go in for a rebuild the second the KGV(or maybe the POW) commissions since enough fast capital ships would be available to cover for her absence

Last edited:
I like the idea of updated Renown class ships. Build them a little larger and sacrifice a couple of knots top speed to allow for a respectable level of armour and you've got a good ship for a regional navy.
Eh not larger, the Renowns are already pretty long. If modifications to the armour scheme are permitted, I wouldn't increase the armour so much as redistribute it so as to conform to a modern all or nothing armour scheme. So more armour (where it matters) for the same weight, hull-form, and speed.

Of course they're likely to be seized/compulsory purchased in 1938 or 39 and you'll be lucky to get a couple of R's as compensation but you don't know that when you place the order.
See, that's why build time was one of my main concerns. With only 18 months from keel laying to commissioning (and much of the fitting out process may well be done by my own nation, we're a middle power with at least the capacity to operate BBs after all) there's a good chance it'll actually get to me before the admiralty starts getting grabby.

Eh not larger, the Renowns are already pretty long. If modifications to the armour scheme are permitted, I wouldn't increase the armour so much as redistribute it so as to conform to a modern all or nothing armour scheme. So more armour (where it matters) for the same weight, hull-form, and speed.

See, that's why build time was one of my main concerns. With only 18 months from keel laying to commissioning (and much of the fitting out process may well be done by my own nation, we're a middle power with at least the capacity to operate BBs after all) there's a good chance it'll actually get to me before the admiralty starts getting grabby.
The problem is you're not going to get that kind of build time out of them. The Renowns were built that fast due to circumstances specific to when they were built - they recycled a lot of materiel from cancelled battleships, particularly their gun mounts and machinery, and it was also done by the British naval industry before twenty years of decay hit.

Try this again in 1935 and you're going to get a much slower build time.

The problem is you're not going to get that kind of build time out of them. The Renowns were built that fast due to circumstances specific to when they were built - they recycled a lot of materiel from cancelled battleships, particularly their gun mounts and machinery, and it was also done by the British naval industry before twenty years of decay hit.

Try this again in 1935 and you're going to get a much slower build time.
True, that said, a 26,000 tonne ship should still be quicker to build than a 35,000 tonne one, and most of the guns and turrets already exist* and are just sitting in a warehouse. So the build time should still be less than that of a KGV.

*and if building two additional turrets would be too much of a hassle I honestly wouldn't mind dropping the rear turret of each ship and dedicating the entire aft to AAA.

True, that said, a 26,000 tonne ship should still be quicker to build than a 35,000 tonne one, and most of the guns and turrets already exist* and are just sitting in a warehouse. So the build time should still be less than that of a KGV.

*and if building two additional turrets would be too much of a hassle I honestly wouldn't mind dropping the rear turret of each ship and dedicating the entire aft to AAA.
Just two twin turrets would have major issues with rate of fire, limited ability to damage your opponents with so few guns, and it could also be difficult to narrow down the range with just four guns. And perhaps most importantly while in hindsight having that much DAKKA may be a good idea it would not look so attractive at the time as six guns was already a limited firepower for a ship and the threat posed by aircraft was not fully appreciated, or realized with designs of the time.

No need for new turrets - Marshal Ney's turret is still sitting in storage and Marshal Soult is a training ship. Grab those turrets and presto, you've got the spare two mounts you need. The Brits would be down two 15" monitors but all things considered that's not a big deal.