The New Order: Last Days of Europe - An Axis Victory Cold War Mod for HoIIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus Christ man the way you talk about Russia makes you sound like you'd want Taboritsky to win just to see him finish with the Germans started and destroy Russia.
Speaking of Taboritsky winning, I would say amongst the most terrifying portions of his regime is how, with their eastern flank secured through his destruction of Russia, Germany, under a competent leadership, could be able to win the Cold War, especially if America and Japan go through their own troubles like a Yockey/Hall Administration or Chinese victory in the GAW.

Speaking of Taboritsky winning, I would say amongst the most terrifying portions of his regime is how, with their eastern flank secured through his destruction of Russia, Germany, under a competent leadership, could be able to win the Cold War, especially if America and Japan go through their own troubles like a Yockey/Hall Administration or Chinese victory in the GAW.
I'd be curious what would happen if everyone suffers a fail state. President Yockey/Hall, Tabby, Heydrich victory (or DSR), African devastation, Kishi's Japan loses the GAW, etc...

TNO version of For All Time.

On my campaigns in tno2 as Shulgin Russia I gonna take the 1939 borders back minus the Baltic States, where I plan to install a kingdom under a Romanov.

So, I just finished a WerBell game, and it turned out to be...not terrible? I went down the Cincinnatus path and things seemed to be developing in a positive direction overall, even if I did turn Russia into a hypercapitalist free trade zone (really, Novosibirsk has nothing on USS/USR). Sure, WerBell (still) couldn't speak Russian by the time I rolled Zhukov, and sure it was a mercenary haven, but the economy was developing nicely and it was undoubtedly very militarily powerful (it was particularly strong in manpower terms, which is a constant issue for many Russian unifiers), while people seemed to generally have rights and freedoms (more so than a lot of unifiers, anyway, though not as much as Petlin's Magadan). The main shortcomings I noticed were the poor industrial capacity (particularly noticeable next to the Central Siberian powers, of course), where I was really struggling to build enough gear and still had pretty bad construction penalties even late in the game, and some awful laws--Elite-Only Education is just terrible, I don't understand why anyone would have it. China gets this right in that their education reforms lead to them rapidly adopting Free Education, which is the best single law in the game given its wide benefits.

On the plus side, being able to send mercenaries hither and yon was actually quite fun. I more or less single-handedly won all of the Arabian wars for the Ba'athists (what I consider to be probably the most interesting path for TNO2, since they unify into the United Arab Republic which seems like to have all sorts of fun and exciting content when it comes to that), though I wasn't able to (within game mechanics) intervene in Iran since it overlapped with my war against Zhukov (I tag switched over and fixed things for them, though, because Imperial Iran or the Islamic Republic winning every time otherwise is just boring). It's just too bad that the Grossafrikaner Reichstat collapse was broken and now doesn't actually happen, so there was a shortage of wars to get involved in between about 1965 and 1970. If I was to redo it, I would prioritize doing WerBell's foreign policy tree and setting up an elite corps specifically for dropping into combat zones, just so I could get involved in the tail end of some of those wars.

Anyway, next up I think Tyumen, which is the last major communist faction I haven't played as--I also haven't played as any of the Western Siberian countries, so there's that. Maybe Samara after that, probably as Bunyachenko given the comments I've read about him on this thread.

What are your thoughts on Collaborationist Fascist England?
Personally I think that Chesterson, given that his leader bio mentions even more extreme "factions" of pro-Germans in his party, and the fact that he'll be dead in the mid-70s, I can in TNO2 see a potential power struggle between neo-Mosleyite Fascists led by Jeffrey Hamm, who would move away from Germany, and align with an independent Fascist Italy or a Independent despotist Iberia, or even Japan vs. Natsocs led by John Tyndall or Colin Jordan.

And TNO1 I feel will set the seeds for the fascist infighting depending on how dependant you are on Germany.

Also thoughts on this revelation about birch?

Personally, while it would be nice that Birch is given more nuance(disclaimer: I'm not a tankie, just think it would be interesting), I'm kinda dubious here if Birch might actually be a Suslov style moderate, or if they are lying to us.

The devs said that Yagoda wasn't that bad pre-release and it's more nuanced or morally grey than Sablin good Yagoda bad, and Pacifica framed stuff like "Yagoda was killed by Stalin for not being as harsh as he should be", but turns out they pulled a "Sylvanas Windrunner was morally grey" bait and switcfh on us. Yeah I know TNO writers can write their way out of a paper bag unlike all the Blizzard writers, but the Sylvanas analogy is more "Yeah we fucking lied about this guy being morally grey, turns out he is a massive POS and everything good in their story happens in spite of them".

I would not be surprised if Reg Birch is moderate not because he wants to be moderate, but he wants to avoid the YDL, and when he gets rid of the YDL he will be more like Kaganovich in TNO2. However, he can actually be displaced by more pragmatic or benign authsocs like Yagoda and Kaganovich, or even a "we really mean it and we're not just edgy socdems larping" sort of libsoc. So everything good that can happen on his route happens in spite of him, not because of him.

And the hope that might exist in his route vs. his fascist counterpart is that while both Hamm and Tyndall are differing varying bad news on Chesterson's end, the people that can oust birch can create a genuinely nice or half decent britain.

Last edited:

chankljp

Donor
I'd be curious what would happen if everyone suffers a fail state. President Yockey/Hall, Tabby, Heydrich victory (or DSR), African devastation, Kishi's Japan loses the GAW, etc...
This might very well be a second Late Bronze Age Collapse scenario for human civilisation.... Either that, or a Brazilian superpower world centred around South America, assuming that Yockey/Hall didn't wreck the place on their way out.

This might very well be a second Late Bronze Age Collapse scenario for human civilisation.... Either that, or a Brazilian superpower world centred around South America, assuming that Yockey/Hall didn't wreck the place on their way out.

I actually might consult the CSS devs on any rough ideas for Latin America in the event of a Yockey/Hall scenario.

Or both, with Brazil being the Assyrian Empire of said world.

i only know sylvanus windrunner from lily orchard's terrible twitter thread
It's more reflecting on the fact that Sylvanas was a massive POS in the warcraft storyline, but she was sold as dark grey the devs.

While Blizzard's writing is rarely good even on a good day given that they're "gameplay first" design wise, TNO devs have done the same with Yagoda.

Also thoughts on this revelation about birch?

Personally, while it would be nice that Birch is given more nuance(disclaimer: I'm not a tankie, just think it would be interesting), I'm kinda dubious here if Birch might actually be a Suslov style moderate, or if they are lying to us.

The devs said that Yagoda wasn't that bad pre-release and it's more nuanced or morally grey than Sablin good Yagoda bad, and Pacifica framed stuff like "Yagoda was killed by Stalin for not being as harsh as he should be", but turns out they pulled a "Sylvanas Windrunner was morally grey" bait and switcfh on us. Yeah I know TNO writers can write their way out of a paper bag unlike all the Blizzard writers, but the Sylvanas analogy is more "Yeah we fucking lied about this guy being morally grey, turns out he is a massive POS and everything good in their story happens in spite of them".

I would not be surprised if Reg Birch is moderate not because he wants to be moderate, but he wants to avoid the YDL, and when he gets rid of the YDL he will be more like Kaganovich in TNO2. However, he can actually be displaced by more pragmatic or benign authsocs like Yagoda and Kaganovich, or even a "we really mean it and we're not just edgy socdems larping" sort of libsoc. So everything good that can happen on his route happens in spite of him, not because of him.

And the hope that might exist in his route vs. his fascist counterpart is that while both Hamm and Tyndall are differing varying bad news on Chesterson's end, the people that can oust birch can create a genuinely nice or half decent britain.
[posting this reply here along with my reply to your reddit comment]

I think most of what the devs said about Yagoda was less straight-up lying, and more 'telling the truth but not all of the truth.' Both Yagoda and Bessanov can lead to more liberal USSRs, just in different meanings of the term (Yagoda becoming more dengist, while Bessanov liberalizing the political scene).

In any case, what the devs have stated is that Birch's rule falls under the better side of authsoc for ordinary, working class people, but it also can fall under the worse side of authsoc for those that he deems as reactionary traitors. I think this characterization of him makes a fair amount of sense, looking at both what his role would be in TNO and his OTL personality. If anything, Birch will at the very least have some decent and sympathetic rationale for the cracking down on dissent, as opposed to Yagoda, as the super event deliberately chooses to show a rather brutal terrorist attack on his supporters as the main 'theme' of his rule.

chankljp

Donor
Remember that Russia still is Russia no amount of pity will stop me from seeing most of them as the same shit different color + chauvinism.
Jesus Christ man the way you talk about Russia makes you sound like you'd want Taboritsky to win just to see him finish with the Germans started and destroy Russia.
I remember seeing a Polish member on this forum once saying that when the Soviets came towards the end of WW2, their reaction was along the lines of 'At least nothing could be worst than the Germans', so I think that for territories that are directly controlled by the Reich as RKs/Pakt Protectorates/Reichlands, they would have the same attitudes.

And besides, would any of the more benevolent Russian unifiers, or even those that were simply sane and pragmatic, even WANT to keep Eastern and Central Europe under their sphere of influence? Remember, this is not Kaiserreich, and you cannot do stuff like puppeting a large chunk of Europe, balkanize and redraw their boarders at will, put a Romanov on their throne or establishing an ideologically aligned government, etc, and simply call it a day, expecting them to be loyal to you until the end of the game. The historical Warsaw Pact ended up being a massive money drain for the USSR despite all the reparations, and with an even more devastated Russia in TNO, it might end up sinking them as a player trap the same way that the African Mandates could do to the US in an OFN SAW total victory scenario.

Instead, perhaps a lot of them would simply expropriate the assets and property of any German settlers they came across and ship those industrial equipment back east to help with rebuilding Russia's economy (I know this is still not ideal, as it will crash the local economy, but things could be a lot worst), allow free elections to take place (Maybe covertly funding the more pro-Russian/ideologically aligned candidates), and pull out their troops the moment things look stabilised since they are needed back home.

expecting them to be loyal to you until the end of the game.
I mean...the end of the game is only ten or fifteen years after a Russian victory over Germany, which actually is a short enough time period that it's hard to see much serious opposition getting started even in a scenario like that. It took about that long for the Hungarians to start rising up, for instance. After a 2WRW everyone would realistically be completely exhausted and unwilling to fight more until a new generation has risen up to replace that lost or traumatized by the war.

And besides, would any of the more benevolent Russian unifiers, or even those that were simply sane and pragmatic, even WANT to keep Eastern and Central Europe under their sphere of influence? Remember, this is not Kaiserreich, and you cannot do stuff like puppeting a large chunk of Europe, balkanize and redraw their boarders at will, put a Romanov on their throne or establishing an ideologically aligned government, etc, and simply call it a day, expecting them to be loyal to you until the end of the game. The historical Warsaw Pact ended up being a massive money drain for the USSR despite all the reparations, and with an even more devastated Russia in TNO, it might end up sinking them as a player trap the same way that the African Mandates could do to the US in an OFN SAW total victory scenario.

Instead, perhaps a lot of them would simply expropriate the assets and property of any German settlers they came across and ship those industrial equipment back east to help with rebuilding Russia's economy (I know this is still not ideal, as it will crash the local economy, but things could be a lot worst), allow free elections to take place (Maybe covertly funding the more pro-Russian/ideologically aligned candidates), and pull out their troops the moment things look stabilised since they are needed back home.
So, most sane/moderate Russias would settle for more or less OTL Russian Federation borders (sans Kaliningrad) and set up independent governments in the rest of the liberated areas in your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.