Narrative Appendices: Yes or No

• Yes

• No

• Neither: Build a canal (Results)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Eparkhos
This tl is really interesting so far. I've finally been able to leave a comment, and I think this story has a lot of potential. Trebizond had a lot of potential to become something of a Venice/Genoa of the Black Sea.

I kinda hope they make some more gains in Anatolia and retake Sinope at least (it was historically a major port on the Black Sea after all).

Hopefully Alexandros proves to be a more capable emperor than his brothers.
Me too. Unfortunately the Romans don't have a good track record when it comes to Emperors named Alexander.

Also, I expect the Safavids to still make an appearance somehow. Maybe not a Shahdom but they might be important players to whatever Persian dynasty arises there.
With how the Romans in Trebizond outlasted the Mongols, I honestly hope the Empire manages to eek out an existence as a strong regional player, and eventually reclaims the Imperial title as it was always meant to do.

With how the Romans in Trebizond outlasted the Mongols, I honestly hope the Empire manages to eek out an existence as a strong regional player, and eventually reclaims the Imperial title as it was always meant to do.
Assuming the Palaiologoi fall to the Ottomans in 1453, then Trebizond should be able to claim sole ownership over the title of Emperor of the Romans . A strong Trebizond could throw a huge wrench in the affairs of the Ottomans and the other Turko-Persian states in the area that's for sure.

Me too. Unfortunately the Romans don't have a good track record when it comes to Emperors named Alexander.
First time for everything, I suppose. :)

Though of course, Alexandros certainly has a lot to do to put Trebizond on the path to restoring the glory of Rome. Maybe in a twist of irony, he has a son and heir named Philippos who would lead Trebizond to victory against the Ottomans in Anatolia.

Would you say it was a good surprise or a bad surprise? Genuinely curious.
It was a great subversion of expectations really. This (your first post) was OTL, so knew what was going to happen. But still kept expecting for something unexpected to happen. That it all happened the same way, no 11th hour miracle or plot armor, is why I was a bit taken aback. And hence the comparison with GoT, which essentially starts with the protagonists getting shat on.
Definitely made for a cool first entry into the narrative structure.

Eparkhos

Banned
In regards to Trapezuntine expansion;

Really, the only way for the Trapezuntines to survive is to expand. The problem is, because of Trebizond’s position, it’s very difficult to get strategic depth. AQ is a vital balance to the Ottomans, so it’s not like the Trapezuntines can expand southwards. They can go eastwards, but they’re are so few Greeks west of Sinope that administering Paphlagonia would be a nightmare. Basically, Trapezous must expand, but expanding eliminates its strategic depth.

I’m open to any ideas

I think it depends on how strong the Ottomans are in this timeline. An Ottoman-screw and the balkanization of Anatolia easily lends itself towards the continued survival of the Turkish beyliks and the Empire of Trebizond. The more unified the Ottomans are, the less likely it is for Trebizond to survive as they continue to eat through the rest of the Roman remnants in the Eastern Med and the Black Sea, as well as the Turkish beyliks.

It's probably inevitable that in order for Trebizond to survive, Mehmed II has to die (or at least be less successful compared to his OTL counterpart).

We need an extended period of no major hegemon in Anatolia, the Ottomans need to suffer a major defeat somewhere that draws their attention away, while Trebizond stabilises and reclaim the Pontic area. Maybe expanding into the Caucacus or attempting to absorb the turks on the Anatolian Black Sea coast.

Loved the update.

From my very brief reading, I was actually quite blown away at how influential Genoa was in informing Atlantic colonization for British, Portuguese, and Spanish. With Alexandros staying with and under Genoese protection for nearly a decade and on top of that, educated in trade and it's importance to Trebizond, I think he'll follow a heavily Genoese flavored rule of Trebizond.

(Thought this link on Genoa's economic culture was interesting . Long read 246 pages.) https://livrepository.liverpool.ac.uk/2009805/1/SaloniaMat_Jan2015_2009805.pdf

Rather than the model of previous Emperors, I think he'll probably be very open to how his wife's side of the family carries out administration, diplomacy, and trade. He might also look at how he can play the Venetians and Genoese off each while using Trebizond to arbitrate and mediate disputes. That's how I think Alexandros expands his empire. Instead of outright territorial grabs, I think he'll focus on getting privileges, trading quarters, selling some offices, titles, or creating others, and diplomacy in as many of the surrounding polities (Georgia, Sinope, Crimea, Wallachia, Aq and Qara Qoyunlu) as he can.

Using spies and marriage alliances is given I think.

Besides that, and more immediately, the first place he should look for to expand into is in the Principality of Samtskhe with Venician and Genoese help. Support from the Gattilusi for more Aegean Greek settlers through his wife would help as well. Definitely should support the wider Georgian kingdom and Giorgi VIII. Ask him for concessions, trade quarters, the works, in return for support for screwing with the troublesome western vassals of his.

As for later expansion, he should hijack as much of the Genoese and Venetian colonies for himself while they eye each other, but better if he can insert himself between and then steadily above them. How to do that is tied in with how he should handle the Turkish threats at the borders.

He'll definitely need to sell supporting Trebizond's strengthening as vital to their Black sea possessions. keeping the Straits open, keeping Constantinople, definitely should concentrate on hiring more western mercs, exiles, and merchants while tackling pirates in the black sea. Maybe selling ceremonial titles might work here? Anyway, he should ingratiate himself to both Venetians or sell himself as an asset to both, even more dear than Constantinople.

In fact, he should insert himself into Genoese and Venetian game of direct controlling Constantinople's economy, if he can. Subverting or collaborating more on supervising Constantinople's foreign policy and it's emperor's diplomatic correspondences would be another goal.

(Note: Mehmed might still decide to conquer Constantinople, but It would help if Constantine didn't hasten its capture.)

Last edited:
In regards to Trapezuntine expansion;

Really, the only way for the Trapezuntines to survive is to expand. The problem is, because of Trebizond’s position, it’s very difficult to get strategic depth. AQ is a vital balance to the Ottomans, so it’s not like the Trapezuntines can expand southwards. They can go eastwards, but they’re are so few Greeks west of Sinope that administering Paphlagonia would be a nightmare. Basically, Trapezous must expand, but expanding eliminates its strategic depth.

I’m open to any ideas
They can expand across the Black Sea, like the Pontus of antiquity which did bring them a short-lived golden age, but that would be extremely hard, better leave it to the future.

Eastward expansion is probably the least bad option now. However, it is clear that Trebizond's fate will be determined by the other powers (or rather, their failures) rather than their own.

Eparkhos

Banned
I think it depends on how strong the Ottomans are in this timeline. An Ottoman-screw and the balkanization of Anatolia easily lends itself towards the continued survival of the Turkish beyliks and the Empire of Trebizond. The more unified the Ottomans are, the less likely it is for Trebizond to survive as they continue to eat through the rest of the Roman remnants in the Eastern Med and the Black Sea, as well as the Turkish beyliks.

It's probably inevitable that in order for Trebizond to survive, Mehmed II has to die (or at least be less successful compared to his OTL counterpart).
We need an extended period of no major hegemon in Anatolia, the Ottomans need to suffer a major defeat somewhere that draws their attention away, while Trebizond stabilises and reclaim the Pontic area. Maybe expanding into the Caucacus or attempting to absorb the turks on the Anatolian Black Sea coast.
True. I'm debating having the Trapezuntines and Ottomans actually go to war --> Ottomans royally screw up the war at sea--> Genoa, then Venice, then Hungary & AQ dogpile or having the Veneto-Ottoman War break out a few years earlier, which then causes Genoa, Trapezous, Hungary & AQ to dogpile. What do you think?
Loved the update.

From my very brief reading, I was actually quite blown away at how influential Genoa was in informing Atlantic colonization for British, Portuguese, and Spanish. With Alexandros staying with and under Genoese protection for nearly a decade and on top of that, educated in trade and it's importance to Trebizond, I think he'll follow a heavily Genoese flavored rule of Trebizond.

(Thought this link on Genoa's economic culture was interesting . Long read 246 pages.) https://livrepository.liverpool.ac.uk/2009805/1/SaloniaMat_Jan2015_2009805.pdf

Rather than the model of previous Emperors, I think he'll probably be very open to how his wife's side of the family carries out administration, diplomacy, and trade. He might also look at how he can play the Venetians and Genoese off each while using Trebizond to arbitrate and mediate disputes. That's how I think Alexandros expands his empire. Instead of outright territorial grabs, I think he'll focus on getting privileges, trading quarters, selling some offices, titles, or creating others, and diplomacy in as many of the surrounding polities (Georgia, Sinope, Crimea, Wallachia, Aq and Qara Qoyunlu) as he can.

Using spies and marriage alliances is given I think.

Besides that, and more immediately, the first place he should look for to expand into is in the Principality of Samtskhe with Venician and Genoese help. Support from the Gattilusi for more Aegean Greek settlers through his wife would help as well. Definitely should support the wider Georgian kingdom and Giorgi VIII. Ask him for concessions, trade quarters, the works, in return for support for screwing with the troublesome western vassals of his.

As for later expansion, he should hijack as much of the Genoese and Venetian colonies for himself while they eye each other, but better if he can insert himself between and then steadily above them. How to do that is tied in with how he should handle the Turkish threats at the borders.

He'll definitely need to sell supporting Trebizond's strengthening as vital to their Black sea possessions. keeping the Straits open, keeping Constantinople, definitely should concentrate on hiring more western mercs, exiles, and merchants while tackling pirates in the black sea. Maybe selling ceremonial titles might work here? Anyway, he should ingratiate himself to both Venetians or sell himself as an asset to both, even more dear than Constantinople.

In fact, he should insert himself into Genoese and Venetian game of direct controlling Constantinople's economy, if he can. Subverting or collaborating more on supervising Constantinople's foreign policy and it's emperor's diplomatic correspondences would be another goal.

(Note: Mehmed might still decide to conquer Constantinople, but It would help if Constantine didn't hasten its capture.)
They can expand across the Black Sea, like the Pontus of antiquity which did bring them a short-lived golden age, but that would be extremely hard, better leave it to the future.

Eastward expansion is probably the least bad option now. However, it is clear that Trebizond's fate will be determined by the other powers (or rather, their failures) rather than their own.
I think that the Trapezuntines will expand into Samtskhe, but this depends on whether or not there's a direct conflict between the Ottomans and the Trapezuntines.

Today's update is probably going to be delayed by a few hours, because I need to mull over somethings.

True. I'm debating having the Trapezuntines and Ottomans actually go to war --> Ottomans royally screw up the war at sea--> Genoa, then Venice, then Hungary & AQ dogpile or having the Veneto-Ottoman War break out a few years earlier, which then causes Genoa, Trapezous, Hungary & AQ to dogpile. What do you think?
Even if the Pttomans royally screw up the war at sea, what prevents them from rolling over the Trebizond's frankly terrible army?

I think that the Trapezuntines will expand into Samtskhe, but this depends on whether or not there's a direct conflict between the Ottomans and the Trapezuntines.
It will probably be inevitable, but you should delay it since, as I said above, the current Trebizond army is just terrible.

Eparkhos

Banned
Even if the Pttomans royally screw up the war at sea, what prevents them from rolling over the Trebizond's frankly terrible army?

It will probably be inevitable, but you should delay it since, as I said above, the current Trebizond army is just terrible.
This hypothetical crushing Trapezuntine victory and the destruction of the Ottoman fleet would cause the Venetians, who were already planning war, to directly attack the Ottomans in the west. Then, with the Ottomans tied down in that war, the Hungarians/Wallachians jump in, followed the Aq Qoyunlu and other beyliks. Hypothetically, that is.

I will delay it until the 1460s to give the Trapezuntines time to get their shit together, though.

Part III: The Alexandrian Army (1450-1459)

Eparkhos

Banned
This part is covering Alexandros' military reforms and programs; His domestic policies will be covered in the next section

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part III: God Helps Those Who Help Themselves

The Trapezuntine Empire that Alexandros inherited was one that was in a truly horrible position. As previously mentioned, Trapezous was surrounded on all sides by states with varying degrees of hostility, and the Trapezuntine army was a pathetic, disorganized mess. To even take the throne Alexandros had been forced to offer servitude to the Genoese, a move which delegitimized him by default amongst many of his subjects and emboldened the usual destabilizing elements across all Byzantine and Byzantine-derived states. He had few, if any, ties with the landed aristocracy, who were a perennial problem, while the church viewed him with open suspicion due to his time in the west. To secure himself and his realm, Alexandros would be facing an uphill battle against innumerable opponents, both domestic and foreign.

His first step was to act against his brothers’ supporters, who were the most likely to attempt to counter-coup him in favor of one of his extended family. As Ioannes had been supported primarily amongst the large land-owners, Alexandros set off on a campaign of breaking up the plantations and distributing the land to the Lazic lower classes, in many cases just turning around and giving the land to the serfs who already worked it. This angered many amongst the upper classes and sparked a chain of assassination attempts (Alexandros dodged the knife three times and lost six food tasters between 1450 and 1455), but it never spilled over into civil war due to a general lack of soldiery.

Alexandros also moved against this problem as well. Trapezous had long been crippled by manpower problems, as its small size and inefficient agricultural system (which we will cover next time) meant the basileus always had a hell of a time getting men together for campaigns both foreign and domestic. To resolve this, Alexandros attempted to revive the theme system, or at least enact a system similar to it. The new group of land-holders, as well as pre-existing small holders across the country, were grouped together in districts called ‘bandons’, which in times of war would be mobilized into units of two hundred men per bandon. To ensure that the bandons actually did as they were intended too, Alexandros instituted a policy of crushing taxes for this new group of farmers, all of which would be relieved if they provided a single male member of the household in times of war. The new farmers, surprisingly, actually took to this policy rather well. In attempting to create a ridiculously crushing tax code, Alexandros had inadvertently reduced the total loss of many of the farmers, as the pronoiai had induced almost farcical levels of indemnities to keep their subjects poor[1]. This both caused the size and strength of the bandons to increase rapidly, while ingratiating many amongst the lower classes to the new basileus.

At the head of each bandon was the moirarch, who was appointed directly from Trapezous and was charged with drilling the bandon during times of peace and leading it during times of war. Many of the moirarchs, who were often mercenaries from Italy or Greece, were barely fluent in Greek and didn’t understand a word of Lazic--to be fair, Lazic is notoriously difficult for westerners to pick up--and so Greek became the language of the army by default. The western origin of the moirarchs also had a sizeable impact on the training and capability of the bandons, as the Italian mercenaries introduced the new, post-Crecy military doctrines of western Europe, which emphasized the training of infantry as a counter to superior cavalry. Because of this, the bandons were trained with a rigor and regularity that was unmatched in the region. Several sources attest that every man in the formation was expected to be able to fight ‘proficiently’ with the bow, spear and axe. They were also expected to fight in and rapidly move between five different formations, unfortunately only one of which has survived to us[2]. This may seem excessive to us, or even impossible to orchestrate, but remember, these were medieval farmers--they had a good deal of down time between planting and harvest, and all of this training was strung out over several years. The long-term impact of the bandon system was that it allowed the Trapezuntines to mobilize (comparitavely) large numbers of men with great speed to produce an army of high (for a non-professional force) quality.

The bandons were not the only military reform, however. Alexandros took a leaf out of the Muslim world’s handbook and created a force of slave soldiers. ‘Freed’ from Italian or Muslim servitude in a series of raids on the slave ports of Crimea and Circassia, these men were put through exhaustive drilling and training, once again by Italian mercenaries, and enlisted in the armies of the aftokrator. If they survived fifteen years of service, they would be given land and native brides to farm and establish families. While still slavery, this was still a far better deal than they would’ve received anywhere else, and so these freedmen were very loyal to Alexandros and his dynasty[3]. The eleutheroi, as they were called, were established as a hybrid guard/field regiment, consisting of ten bandons garrisoned in Trapezous and the lands surrounding it[4]. Alexandros also tended to the pre-existing pronoiai system, which furnished the Trapezuntines with heavy cavalrymen on the relative cheap. However, they had a tendency towards disloyalty and often refused to take orders from those who they considered their lessers. As such, Alexandros divided his cavalry forces, inviting the Goqoyunlu (see below) to settle in the thinly-populated eastern borderlands and forcing the pronoiai to compete for their positions as chief cavalry officers. This prevented revolt, but it can be argued that it hurt the empire in the long term by kneecapping the domestic cavalry.

The Trapezuntine navy was also refurbished and expanded during Alexandros’ reign, having long languished under the previous emperors. Alexandros’ network of spies in the Ottoman Empire informed him that the Ottoman navy was almost comically small, numbering only thirty or so galleys[5], and he resolved to surpass that number and thus establish superiority at sea. Using the vast Trapezuntine trade income, he laid down forty ‘oared transports’ over the first six years of his reign, supplanting the sixteen galleys already in Imperial service. To further strengthen his navy, he purchased several dozen cannons from Italy for use on both land and sea, a move that could have helped prolong the life of the Palaiologian Empire had they not been so set in their ways. By 1459, the Trapezuntine navy numbered more than fifty galleys and two dozen transport ships, vastly outnumbering any potential enemy armada other than that of the Genoese themselves. The old megas doux, who had fled at the first sign of combat, was summarily executed and replaced with an experienced captain named Konstantinos Psarimarkos[7]. Psarimarkos took his new force out on a series of pirate-hunting campaigns across the Black Sea, both as experience-building exercises and dry runs for attacks on Ottoman seaports.

Alexandros then turned to his realm’s tenuous diplomatic position. While the Empire had nominal protection from the Genoese, Genoa was a long way away and, worse yet, on the far side of the straights. As such, Alexandros turned to his immediate neighbors in an effort to secure his position. In 1451, he made an alliance with King Giorgi of Kartvelia, betrothing his young son Alexios (b.1439) to the Kartvelian princess Keteon (b.1442) to secure it. Giorgi was beset with domestic enemies, however, and Alexandros was forced to bankroll a force of mercenaries in one of these rounds of civil wars. This nearly caused the alliance to collapse, but Giorgi was able to stabilize his position, execute his opponents and become the undisputed lord of the western Caucasus. Alexandros made alliances with Aq Qoyunlu and Qara Qoyunlu, the two bickering Turkic hordes that dominated Mesopotamia and Armenia. As previously mentioned, neither of these hordes were integrated states, with the many clans and bands of Turkmen that were nominally part of them often paying only lip service to the beylerbeys. However, they were still formidable opponents, and so Alexandros endeavored to sway them to his cause. In 1455, he married his niece, Theodosia, to Uzun Hasan of Aq Qoyunlu and in 1456 he married another one of his nieces, Eirene, to Jahan Shah of Qara Qoyunlu. The Qoyunlus both pledged to protect the Trapezuntines from the Ottomans, although their intention of actually doing so was suspect, to say the least. They also took the opportunity to rid themselves of troublemakers or syncretic[6] tribes by dispatching them to serve Alexandros as the Goqoyunlu. Finally, Alexandros made a secret defensive alliance, with the Venetians promising to come to the Trapezuntines’ aid in case of a Turkish invasion, and vice versa. The Venetian incentive for doing this was Trapezous itself, as the Doge calculated that this would be the best way for the Venetians to annex or establish a puppet regime in the distant city.

Finally, Alexandros began fortifying the eastern borderlands with the Çandarids/Ottomans. This region had some of the roughest country in Pontos, with the Paphlagonian and Pontic mountains mingling together and producing a series of sheer valleys and dense forest that would make any offensive campaigning difficult in the extreme. Alexandros constructed several rings of fortresses along important valleys, at multiple points on strategic roads and in isolated valleys. The former were to prevent troop or supply movements along the rivers, the hinter to control strategic roads and force any invaders to string out their forces in a series of small sieges, and the latter were to act as bases for bands of irregulars. Alexandros’ plan for any conflicts with the Ottomans was to force them to move slowly across the frontier along pre-scouted positions that would leave them exposed to constant harassment by bands of Trapezuntine irregulars. Their supply lines would also be ripe for the plundering, given how the difficult terrain forced them along narrow, isolated paths through the forests and hillsides. Ideally, the Ottomans would either be so exhausted by these constant attacks that they would either pull back or be so exhausted by the time they reached Trapezous proper they could be easily defeated in battle. To further this goal, he also assigned the garrisons of these forts various defensive tasks, such as destroying forage to hurt Ottoman cavalry, scattering bands of caltrops to delay troop movements, felling trees to impair roads or cutting out sluice channels to wash out roads in heavy rain. Finally, he readied the Goqoyunlu to range out onto the Anatolian Plateau and try and incite a Turkmen revolt by attacking isolated Ottoman outposts as well as attacking herds of stock and grain fields to further extend Ottoman supply lines.

That wraps up Alexandros’ preparations for war, now let’s move on to his domestic policies….

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] This sounds bizarre, but by the end of the Trapezuntine Empire the pronoiai had reached a similar state to their Palaiologian counterparts a century previous, where they taxed their hapless subjects at rate three to four times their actual taxes for personal gain.
[2] This formation, know simply as ‘Formation Gamma’, was as the following; The first rank numbered 125 in ranks three deep, with the rear rank numbering 75 in ranks two deep. The left-most and right-most 25 men in the first rank are armed with axes, the first line of the first rank is armed with bows, while the rest have spears.
[3] This sounds bizarre to the modern reader, but this was apparently a common occurrence in pre-modern history.
[4] All of this is taken directly from Byzantium’s Resurrection: A Second Alexiad. Credit to @Eparkhos.
[5] Following The Ottoman Empire: The Classical Age 1300-1650 by Halil Inalcik. Butterflies mean that Zagan Pasha is never appointed Kapudan Pasha and thus never expands the Ottoman fleet.
[6] Many of the Turkmen were only nominally Muslim, with many either retaining their old Tengri beliefs or adopting the beliefs of their Armenian subjects
[7] No relation to a certain general

Nice TTl, I sincerely hope that Trebizond and Constantinope stave off the Turkish assualt and go on a offensive to recapture their core territories. In regards to making sure both Byzantium and Trebizond survives. I believe you really ought to kill the sultan to really balance the geopolitcal situation in both anatolia and greece. Shah Rukh should be on this timeline too right? Another invasion and a great defeat in anatolia will most likely be the straw for the camel's back for the Ottoman state. Ottoman warlords will pop up and the entire area will be free for all. That's the only time the Roman state and Trebizond will ever have to recover from centuries of defeat.

Nice TTl, I sincerely hope that Trebizond and Constantinope stave off the Turkish assualt and go on a offensive to recapture their core territories. In regards to making sure both Byzantium and Trebizond survives. I believe you really ought to kill the sultan to really balance the geopolitcal situation in both anatolia and greece. Shah Rukh should be on this timeline too right? Another invasion and a great defeat in anatolia will most likely be the straw for the camel's back for the Ottoman state. Ottoman warlords will pop up and the entire area will be free for all. That's the only time the Roman state and Trebizond will ever have to recover from centuries of defeat.

It's tenable, at least in the short term and possibly medium term. I can see a Byzantium, if lucky enough to attempt this, try to reclaim Greece and the Aegean coastal lands of Anatolia, and Trebizond make a play for the entirety of the Pontus region, maybe nearly the entirety of the former Armeniac theme for the most part.

Ultimately, the Komnenoi and Paliologoi will come to blows over who's the true Roman Emperor, but that's getting ahead of myself, first things first, is to take down the juggernaut that is the Ottoman Sultanate.

Status
Not open for further replies.