Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats with covenrty?
Not to continue to derail the thread but I'm pretty sure it comes from an old saying which means to disassociate from someone. So if I choose to send someone to Coventry it means that I refuse to associate myself with them. In the case of its use on this forum, it means that the forum refuses to associate with the user in question by banning them for certain offenses.

Not to continue to derail the thread but I'm pretty sure it comes from an old saying which means to disassociate from someone. So if I choose to send someone to Coventry it means that I refuse to associate myself with them. In the case of its use on this forum, it means that the forum refuses to associate with the user in question by banning them for certain offenses.
Read cal’s sig, it has a link to a short story’s Wikipedia in which Coventry originated I believe

((This is the first text-based piece of my Brabantia series. It definitely needs some work, but I'm trying to build up to starting a full thread in this forum. Picture for the wikibox is of Queen Sonja of Norway. Hope you enjoy!))
RZobiA3.png

Eugènie-Augusta,
commonly referred to as Eugènie, (Eugènie-Augusta Maria Wilhelmina Elizabeth; born 2 February 1936) is the current Queen of Brabantia, having ascended the throne on 10 June 1959, following the death of her father, Lodewijk II of Brabantia. She is the only child of the late King Lodewijk and his wife, Infanta Cristina-Isabella of Spain. She married Prince Michael of Yugoslavia in 1958; the couple have four children, including Andries, Duke of Limburg, the heir apparent to the Brabantian throne.

Her accession to the throne was controversial, as prior to her birth in 1936, Brabantia operated under Salic law regarding royal and ducal inheritance. Until 1945 and the end of the Second World War, the heir presumptive to King Lodewijk was her uncle Filip-Albert, the king's younger brother. His close association with the German occupation of Brabantia during the war, however, made him an unpalatable choice to one day succeed the aging Lodewijk, and changes to the Constitution and the Nassau-Saarbrücken House Law (itself part of the Constitutional corpus of the country) were agreed by the Parliament in 1947. A further act stated that, should the king die before then-Princess Eugènie-Augusta's age of majority, the King's sister Amélie, Countess of Liège, would serve as regent instead of Filip-Albert or the Princess' foreign-born mother.

Queen Eugènie was, along with her mother, evacuated from Brabantia for the duration of the Second World War, spending her formative years in Montréal, Canada, where the royal family had been offered temporary asylum. She was later educated at the Katholieke Universiteit te Leuven, the first member of the royal family to obtain university credentials, completing a degree in fine arts in 1957, ahead of her marriage to the former Prince Michael of Yugoslavia. The decision to permit Eugènie to attend university was not without controversy, but helped to cement her image as a popular monarch much in the vein of her father, who had been the first member of the royal family to make a radio address to the nation while still Duke of Limburg.

The Queen's more than sixty year reign (having marked her Diamond Jubilee in the late spring of 2019) has seen tremendous transformations in both the monarchy and in Brabantian society as a whole. Emerging from the War years economically devastated, the Queen has presided over the shift from an industrial economy to a service- and banking-oriented economy, as well as the country becoming home to most pan-European institutions, and a change in national character as immigration accelerated from the 1970s forward. The Queen enjoys high levels of popularity across the political spectrum, largely as a result of her role as a unifying figure in a linguistically and culturally diverse nation. She is well-known for her charity work, as well as her patronage of the arts, and her embrace of pan-European identity, which she has commented in the past can help soothe community tensions in Brabantia. Evidence of her support for European unity can be seen in her support of the Pan-European Picnic of 1989, promoted originally by Otto von Habsburg, a distant relation of the Nassau-Saarbrücken family.

Eugènie is perhaps most known in Brabantia for her role during the Government Formation Crises of 1974-1976 and 2010-2013, when she was essentially forced to act as a caretaker Prime Minister as well as sovereign; the Constitution of Brabantia vests the Crown and civil servants with caretaker roles during government formation periods, which are typically only a month long due to the majority bonus system in use in the House of Representatives. In the two crisis periods, however, prolonged stalemates between the left- and right-blocs in Parliament over budgetary issues (1974) and the global financial crisis (2010) meant that the caretaker period was extended. While the Queen did not generate policy of her own, the more active role she was required to take did give her a reputation as an effective administrator. She has, however, urged that Parliament amend the Constitution to allow an outgoing or former Prime Minister to fulfill the caretaker role, noting that even this level of monarchical influence on government is at odds with Brabantia's modern democratic values.

The Queen and Prince Michael have four children, including three daughters as well as the Duke of Limburg, and eight grandchildren. In addition to her native Dutch and French, the Queen speaks fluent German, English, and Spanish, the language of her mother. She maintains a keen interest in visual arts, and has contributed illustrations to a popular series of children's books in Brabantia, originally under a pseudonym.

Pedro.png

Pedro Orochi (January 6, 2020 – December 21, 2020), was an AlternateHistorian thief who attained notority in December 2020 as the thief of several infoboxes. His criminal life ended when he was deported to Coventry on December 21, 2020.

I'm fairly sure this or something like it must've been done, but since it's one of my favourite movies and I rewatched it recently, have this.

1608656644255.png

Galaxy Quest is an American science-fiction TV series, produced from 1979 to 1982. Centered around the crew of the NSEA Protector starship, visiting and making contact with alien civilizations, it starred Jason Nesmith as Captain Peter Quincy Taggart, the British Shakespearean character-actor Alexander Dane as Dr Lazarus, Gwen DeMarco as Lt. Tawny Madison, Tommy Webber (who was 10 years old at the time of the show's production) as boy genius Lieutenant Laredo, and Freddie Kwan as Tech Sergeant Chen.

The show ran for 4 seasons and 91 episodes, but consistently performed poorly in ratings during its original run; critics also tended to be harsh towards its special effects. Ultimately, its 2-part series finale, based around the mysterious 'Omega-13' device, was intended to be aired in 1982, but only the first part was made and the show was cancelled before it could be broadcast, with that unaired episode later becoming a much-coveted part of fan conventions.

Despite its poor ratings, Galaxy Quest did well in syndication with a surge in interest in science fiction, and the cast enjoyed fairly consistent revenue from convention appearances and rerun fees. It was, however, fairly well-known that Dane and DeMarco in particular were greatly dissatisfied with their public perceptions (Dane was noted by fans to be unenthusiastic at best about attending conventions and felt typecast by having played Lazarus), and Nesmith developed something of a reputation for his ego.

In 1999, the show returned to popular consciousness when a major publicity stunt saw the cast spontaneously crash land what appeared to be a life-size replica of the NSEA Protector into a meeting of the Galaxy Quest Southwest Fan Club, and defeated an alien in costume with spectacular special effects. The event made international news, even in countries where Galaxy Quest had never aired, and increased purchase rates for reruns of the show by an estimated 300%.

(Rather amusingly, the cast have always remained in character when asked about this event, asserting it was all real. The topic became an early internet meme both within and outside the Galaxy Quest fandom, and some fans even believe the cast's claims are true.)

Since the show had established an audience once again, the network picked it back up in 2000, launching Galaxy Quest: The Journey Continues, which reunited the original cast with several new characters, including the fan favourite Security Chief 'Roc' Ingersol. The Journey Continues was a far greater success with the public than the original series, running for nine seasons and even winning two Emmy awards, and the cast have reunited for conventions multiple times a year ever since its run ended in 2009.

I've got a couple of Christmas-themed infoboxes coming out on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. I'll give you guys a few hints of what they are.

One is of a real humbug and the other is of a human-like creature that is associated with the holiday.

I may also make a bonus third one that is of an unusual icon.

@msmp why Brabantia as a name?
It started out with a core of the medieval to Renaissance era Duchy of Brabant and expanded from there, essentially. It should probably be Brabantiae, since I was going for a Latin derivation (for linguistic neutrality), but I associate country names/personifications with dropping the e (Britannia, Germania, Lusitania etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.