The Forge of Weyland

One way of reducing the time frame, would be to reduce the complex engineering turret work - don't have one - have an SPG - you won't mobility, you want something that will stop the Italian attack - if there is one, money will be tight - SPG is your answer.

They don't have to dust them off, the 6 tonner's still in production. Add that 40mm gun and you've a very good tank for the mid 1930's. On a side note reading up on the 6 tonner they came with tracks rated for 3000 miles, so what the hell went wrong later?

1607514092119.png

Last edited:
Yes...I was being a bit loose with the terminology! :)

Apparently (according to Wiki) the Army weren't keen on the 6-tonner's suspension. All up weight was 7.3 tonnes, while the Mk VI ended up at 5.3 tonnes. Would it be feasible to use the light tank suspension with an extra bogie? Would this take the additional weight?

1607517003869.png

And I would think even the 3 pdr would make an L3/35 crew rather unhappy.

Last edited:
It would be a rush job so he wouldn't be redesigning anything that wasn't absolutely essential, like the allowing the turret to hold the 40mm gun. The running gear works so if it ain't bust don't fix it. Unlike when first presented the running gear is now proved effective around the world and the army has accepted it for its artillery tractors.

In all honesty I think the real objection to the 6 tonner was that it cost more than the turreted tankettes the Army ended up with.

Last edited:
Perhaps the odd duck that was the BESA 15mm (though Wikipedia says it was more of a Semi-Automatic in practice due to controllability issues) might find a home here?

No wait, I'm getting my Timelines confused. It's 1935!

Hmm. It's December 1935. I imagine Captain Boys has progressed somewhat with what would become the Boys AT Rifle. A relatively cheap solution might be to take out one of the Mk V's two machine guns in the turret and replace it with the Boys once it becomes available.

Alternately, a Maxim Gun in 37mm was made by Vickers, though production will have long since be wound down (non seem to have really been used post WW1.

But I imagine someone will remember it. The German Becker 20mm autocannon was used in WW1, after all. The famous Oerlikon comes about in its first form in 1937, and I believe Hispano-Suza already has 20mm models available.

Given the Vickers 0. 5" has the bulky water jacket, I don't think it would be too difficult to adapt a Mk. 5 Turret to fire an Air-Cooled 20mm Autocannon. You might even be able to sell the Treasury on it! After all, refitting an existing tank is going to be a lot cheaper than building new ones! Licensing a foreign design might furrow eyebrows, however.
Sir John felt a cold chill down his spine, as he read it again, just to be sure. If not for this sudden meeting, he'd have been on that very aircraft. He nodded his thanks to the aide as he left, still in thought. The irony hadn't escaped him; to be brought in to discuss ways of beating Italian tanks, and avoiding being killed in the crash of an Italian aeroplane
Hurrah! Sir John Valentine Carden Survives! Could have sworn I've read that somewhere before...

I think it was this thread that was discussing Kestrel engines? I posted this in an earlier thread -

...Regarding tank engines and everybody's perennial favourite, the Rolls Royce Kestrel I'd always thought that Nuffield had an early license for the Liberty engine, but this -

View attachment 550228
- seems to indicate that this was actually only from early 1937.

At the time, Rolls Royce were still producing the Kestrel, already a mature design first run in 1926/7, but were putting more effort into the Goshawk/Peregrine and the new PV12 which would become the Merlin. Various other engines were being considered, so would it be ASB for Nuffield to go for a Kestrel license instead? The dimensions are comparable -
View attachment 550232
- and this would not rely on RR production. So, a derated version to run on pool petrol, a more up to date design and potentially fewer problems, unless Nuffield cock up the installation...

...I've always been a little wary of Kestrel proposals, but if it can be done without using RR capacity...?

Edited to add - the Kestrel was making 630hp on 87 octane. Does anyone have an idea what this would drop to on pool petrol?

I'm looking at a number of options for the light tank cannon, Vickers will present a few and see what the Army think. They do have a big advantage - they designed the tank the 3/33 and 3/35 were derived from!

I think it was this thread that was discussing Kestrel engines? I posted this in an earlier thread -
The kestrel did about 500hp on the speed-trial car conversion (that's unsupercharged), but that's going to be much better petrol than pool. Its not just the lower octane, you'd need to make changes to let it run on it. Some engines were happier with rubbish octane than others...

The thread title? Really? No one figured out right away this was the "prequal" to "The Whale has Aliens"... No one? :)

Randy

marathag

Banned
My figure for the Vickers Mk VIB was 1025mm for the turret ring, not too far off the Char B1 APX4 turret.
So with a One Man turret, that gets you up to 47mm, and that was a far more powerful gun than the 2 pdr

-Br- 2pdr QF – 1.08kg at 792 m/s= 339,860 joules
-Fr- 47mm Mle1937 - 1.726kg at 885m/s = 678105 joule

marathag

Banned
The kestrel did about 500hp on the speed-trial car conversion (that's unsupercharged), but that's going to be much better petrol than pool. Its not just the lower octane, you'd need to make changes to let it run on it. Some engines were happier with rubbish octane than others...
1607534642406.jpeg

from the wiki
The Napier-Railton is an aero-engined race car built in 1933, designed by Reid Railton to a commission by John Cobb, and built by Thomson & Taylor. It was driven by Cobb, mainly at the Brooklands race track where it holds the all-time lap record (143.44 mph (230.84 km/h)) which was set in 1935. The circuit was appropriated for military purposes during the Second World War, and never reopened in that form for racing. It has a W12 engine with 3 different exhaust systems. The engine of the Napier Railton was also used for planes.

History

Between 1933 and 1937, the Napier-Railton broke 47 world speed records at Brooklands, Autodrome de Linas-Montlhéry and Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.[1]

The car is powered by the high compression version (6.1:1) (RAF specification) of the naturally aspirated Napier Lion, a W12 of 23.944 litres (1,461 cu in) capacity, producing 580 brake horse power at 2585 revolutions per minute (recorded at 5, 000ft - performance at ground level may be different).[citation needed] The 12 cylinders are in three banks of four (broad-arrow configuration), hence the triple exhaust system, and the engine has standard aerospace features such as dual ignition (magneto type) . The non-synchromesh crash gearbox (aptly named for the horrible noises caused by a mis-shift) has 3 ratios. The fuel tank, located in the boat-tail behind the driver, has a capacity of 65 gallons and fuel consumption was approximately 5 mpg.

OTL the Lion was rejected as the Liberty with its breaker ignition could be easier set to run on low octane fuel, than the lions Magneto setup

I really don't see the need for the 47mm gun against a tankette. The 0.5" machine gun can penetrate close in...!
They will be looking at something powerful enough to stop one, they don't need to stop the one following with the same round!