Exit the Haze: Hitler – The Master strategist who resurrected Germany as a global power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foreword: This is intended as a short TL inspired by this thread (
). It stipulates a diplomatically and strategically wise Hitler (still a raving psychopath) which is quite a paradox considering how WW2 unfolded in OTL. Or is it? With the exception of the invasion of Poland, where Hitler thought the Anglo-French would not declare war, Hitler was doing exceptionally well. Outmaneuvered diplomatic opponents, overruled most of his Generals to go for the jugular against France in 1940 despite its risks, endorsed the glider attack on Eben Emael, yet at the time of his peak triumph, Hitler’s nerves began to crumble. During the decisive days in the Battle of France, he was described as faced with extreme anxiety, outburst unusual even for him at this time, an anxiety ultimately likely implicated in the halt order.

Causes of this could be natural stress, but also very likely injected medications prescribed by his personal physician Theodor Morell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_Morell, there is not the symptom that would be impossible to imagine with that kind of drug abuse). Thus, the POD and the embedded hypothesis is that Adolf Hitler in this TL is detached from Theodor Morell (POD), and that he would thereby continue his streak (hypothesis) were most of the daring decisions are for the better of the German war effort.
I assume that the pod, the hypothesis and the butterflies will each be scrutinized ITTL, but please try to structure the comments. Eg. when discussing the butterflies accept the POD and hypothesis, because otherwise it quickly becomes meaningless.

Last edited:
Chapter 1: Post-battle of France: Hitler goes clean
Chapter 1: Post-battle of France: Hitler goes clean
In the opinion of Dr. Karl Brandt, an overlooked and decisive moment in WW2 was following the battle of France when it became clear that Britain was not about to give up, despite the defeat of France.
Specifically, Karl Brandt was present when Hitler received the translation of Churchill’s famous June 18th speech to the house of commons: “What General Weygand called the Battle of France is over. I expect that the battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilisation. Upon it depends our own British life and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of a perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, "This was their finest hour".[25][43][44]
— Winston Churchill” (quoted from Wikipedia)
Dr. Brandt recalled Hitler as saying: “Damn it (Verdammt), we should have closed that pocket when we had the chance!”, and claims that he without thinking, said what had been on his mind for a long time and took a remarkable chance with his own health. He has been quoted as saying: “You should not be too hard on yourself. Considering the medications prescribed by Dr. Morell, no man could have maintained a level head.” The room fell silent, everyone awaiting the rage surely to follow, but the pause dragged on. Hitler only after what seemed like forever said “leave us!” and we now only have Dr. Brandt’s memoirs as the source of the dialogue which followed:
Adolf Hitler: “You think the halt order was decisive and blame me for it?”
Dr. Brandt: ”I shouldn’t presume to understand the consequences, please forgive me for this”
Adolf Hitler: ”What do you then presume?”
Dr. Brandt: ”I only meant that at the time you were under tremendous stress and acted against the advice of the generals in the field. This has not been the way you handled things in the past. It is possible that the medications given to you makes you prone to rash decisions”.
Adolf Hitler: “Dr. Morell has been a life-saver for me, how dare you!”
Dr. Brandt (decided that he had nothing left to lose):”Did you feel hard palpitations at the time? And did these contribute to your anxiety?”
Adolf Hitler: “How could you know?”
Dr. Brandt (taking a major chance): ”This is a common effect of the Strophantin which I believe Dr. Morell injected you with”
Adolf Hitler: “That is true, but I need this for my angina”
Dr. Brandt: ”Or else you need it because the amphetamine prescribed in your daily Vitamultin cocktails is what gives you heart pain”
Adolf Hitler: He doesn’t give me amphetamine, he wouldn’t dare. These are vitamins
Dr. Brandt (in the gamble for his life): ”Why don’t we examine the vitamultin. It is my impression that you are mostly healthy and you would improve considerably without any medication at all. At least after a pause in medication, we would be treating whatever illness you might have and not those caused by Dr. Morell’s prescriptions. Don’t you think it is worth a try? I would vouch good name as a physician on this. After a week away from any prescription, you would feel much better.”
Adolf Hitler: “If we try this, and I deteriorate, it will be on your head!”
Dr. Brandt: ”I must insist we give it a week at least, and you might still feel a longing for your morning Vitamultin’s. This is to be fought off with same determination that you stay away from alcohol, tobacco and meat. Would you consent to this?”
Adolf Hitler: “I will, and god help you if this makes it worse!”
Hitler did go through with the experiment and it is probably fortunate that happy news, including the formal surrender of France poured in in the first few days of his detoxification. A week later, when Hitler and Dr. Brandt met each other, Dr. Brandt asked Hitler how he felt and Hitler admitted he felt great. Rested and level headed, some stomach pains, but not worse than before.
Dr. Brandt would remain as Hitler’s personal head physician although he was not prevented from organizing his now famous racial hygienic experiments on the side*. Thus, the memoirs from Dr. Brandt forms an intriguing first-hand narrative of many of the subsequent events in WW2.

*Post victorious World War 2 German point of view. The objective wording would have been infamous

Last edited:
Chapter 2: Hitler establishes the war winning strategy
Chapter 2: Hitler establishes the war winning strategy
Following the triumph in France and the realization that the British would fight on, Hitler assessed the strategic options for defeating the British and achieving the coveted Lebensraum in the east with his chiefs of staff for the various branches.
Göring would boast that the Luftwaffe could bring Britain to yield, but Hitler would icily remark, that this was probably a bigger task than subduing 300000 defeated soldiers in a bridgehead were. Indeed, Hitler would carry on and say that the biggest achievements of the Luftwaffe had been in support of the army and that the Luftwaffe did not have the means for a strategic war. This was in retrospect a clear oversight and Hitler took full responsibility for it. Göring had been overtasked with responsibility and Hitler would therefore relieve him as minister of economics. Hjalmar Schacht would be reinstated as Hitler rationalized that his competences were needed and they would be aligned now that external enemies dictated the necessity of a maximal war effort.
The Kriegsmarine was more refreshingly blunt and declared its inability to contribute substantially to the defeat of Britain. A direct invasion seemed meaningless with the current equipment, the surface fleet was too decimated, and the submarine force still too small to strangle the British economy. Raeder instead said that they could contribute to the instability of the British Empire, something that in the end, coupled with the inability to do anything about Germany, might convince the British that the conflict was pointless. This would dictate a German support for the Italians in securing the Mediterranean, subsequently the suez, the middle east and India. Raeder, did however admit that moving beyond Egypt and the Levant would dictate a tremendous efforts in building up railroad structures for overland supply. Infrastructure that currently was just not there.
Finally, the army could not offer any direct assistance, but it was also stated that with the Soviet Union as the only continental enemy of any power, protecting against the red menace was essential.
After hearing everyone out, asking several probing questions on the requirements of each operation, Hitler finally decided upon a strategy:
“I believe the key to bringing down Britain is a combination of hardship, a belief the deal will only get worse, and finally, assured futility.
The hardship could come from the Kriegsmarine as we try to strangle the British commerce. We will rebuild the surface fleet as a fleet-in-being to fatigue the British while ever evolving submarine warfare and naval aviation* will strain their economy. We will build massive submarine bases and airfields in western France and gather our strength until this is in place. The navy should also mobilize to feint a threat of invasion of the British Isles. The fleet-in-being and the threat of invasion is essential to keeping the Royal Navy in home waters which will help with the real objectives for the remainder of this year.
The essential task for the rest of 1940 and early 1941 is to secure our southern flank and threaten the British colonial empire just as Raeder has outlined. We will work to establish stable alliances in the Balkans and work with the Italians to break British and their allied forces in Southern Europe and Northern Africa. Following this meeting, I will offer our support to Mussolini and Franco including paratroopers and armor divisions in order to quickly subdue our opposition. I suspect invasions of Malta and Greece will be needed to support our southern flank as will air force and ground units in Libya.
The real purpose of all these activities is indeed partly to secure our southern flank, but mainly to create a credible impression that we are fighting the British. The key to our long-term security, only underscored by the nuisance beyond the English Channel is to break the Russian bear for good. From our current borders to the Ural mountains.
I want all efforts dedicated to this task. If the British intend to hang out until the struggle becomes hopeless, we may be in for a long war. Science, development, air defense, our strategic supplies and the reach of our armies and navy must improve. By late spring next year, we will be at war with the Soviet Union in addition to Great Britain. Please see to it that preparations will be done.
*Hitler believed this was key to defeating Britain, but apparently it didn’t get past Göring IOTL.

Last edited:

McPherson

Banned
One can go into the font button in the toolbar of the dialogue box on this site (T) and do this by using the size selector. Going back to my hole, now.

Germany is still going to fight a two-front war with America likely joining in at some point? And you've implied he's still psychotic, so he'll probably be emphasizing the Final Solution?

It doesn't matter how healthy Hitler is, the Reich's screwed.

I'm not sure how Hitler being healthier can summon up a couple million barrels more oil each year, or make the RAF & RN disappear, or improve German logistics on the Eastern Front.

A healthy Hitler.
At least that means Hitler's OTL stupid decisions to hold Stalingrad and the Kursk debacle won't happen.
The Mediterranean strategy would mean the fall of Malta and maybe Gibraltar.
And the Afrika Korp is getting a huge boost.
Looks like Rommel's going to parading thru Alexandria in the near future.

Femto

Banned
Germany is still going to fight a two-front war with America likely joining in at some point? And you've implied he's still psychotic, so he'll probably be emphasizing the Final Solution?

Bullshit. They can make the USSR crumble, maybe even before the USA enters the war. This Hitler will probably contact the Japanese about helping the Germans by attacking the Russian Far East, delaying or even avoiding Pearl Harbor entirely.

This healthy Hitler can be smart enough to delay the Final Solution in the Eastern Front til after the war is over, this would also help alot.

Last edited:
Bullshit.
Please play the ball.

They can make the USSR crumble, maybe even before the USA enters the war.
How? Germany still faces the huge economic, logistical, and practical issues that doomed it in OTL without Hitler's growing addiction to drugs.

This Hitler will probably contact the Japanese about helping the Germans by attacking the Russian Far East, delaying or even avoiding Pearl Harbor entirely.
Germany and Japan did not cooperate anywhere near the degree the US, UK, and Soviets did, and were really only "allied" in a diplomatic sense. Japanese interest is firmly to the south and its immediate environs, and there was extreme anxiety about the Soviets getting in Tokyo's business. Hitler without drugs isn't going to change decades of Japanese foreign policy.

This healthy Hitler can be smart enough to delay the Final Solution in the Eastern Front til after the war is over, this would also help alot.
The Holocaust results from the increasing extremism and barbarism of the eastern front. We would be dealing with NotHitler if he holds off on that.

Chapter 3: Hitler and Mussolini align their strategy
Chapter 3: Hitler and Mussolini align their strategy

Hitler would receive a triumphant reception upon his visit to Rome on June 25th 1940 and the footage would show greetings between the two victors. What is interesting in the wider perspective is the discussion between the two victors of the French campaign.

Mussolini: Welcome to my residence, as you can see the people of Rome greet you as a victorious general from ancient times. Indeed, you have eclipsed Caesar in his defeat of the Gaul’s.

Hitler: Thank you, this is all very well. I appreciate the reception as I appreciate the Italian DoW.

Mussolini: It was the least I could do, I am grateful to share the victors place at the table with you.

Hitler: And I to have you beside me. The problem is that it is not over. All our indications suggest that the British will keep fighting.

Mussolini: That cannot be, what can they hope to achieve. Wither on the wine in self-imposed solitude.

Hitler: As long as they control the seas, they can do plenty against both of us. Neither of us are safe from the effects of a blockade. We need to prepare.

Mussolini: Off course, off course, we should prepare. I am just amazed. Our strategic supplies are not adequate for a long blockade, neither is our stockpiles in the colonies.

Hitler: Better tell you Abyssinian garrisons to hold on as long as they can. We will put pressure on cementing formal alliances in the Balkans. I suggest you do the same. We certainly need the waterways open if we should supply some of the coal you will soon run out of*. In the long term I suggest this is the right time to provide the Italians people with the “Mare Nostrum” they should expect. Could I count on you to subdue Greece and Egypt?

We would be happy to provide additional air support so you can eliminate Malta, and then for an armored division and mobile infantry division in Libya. Similar support should be available in Greece. What worries me is the narrow front. However, I think we can beat Romania into joining us and bribe the Bulgarians, but it may take some time**. Would you think you could subdue the Greeks from Albania alone? We’ll be happy to provide additional air support and transports.

Mussolini (slightly offended): Off course we can subdue the Greeks, we would not need any help with this!

Hitler: I know you can, and I would not presume that you needed help if not for the favor I need to ask of you and Italy.

Mussolini (hesitant): What favor are you talking about?

Hitler: I believe the only hope the British have is that the Americans will join them in the west and the Soviets in the east. We cannot touch the British in a decisive way at the moment, and we cannot touch the Americans at all. You might crush them in Egypt, but then it is their supply lines. Therefore, crushing the Bear is of the highest importance.

Mussolini: This is indeed a groundbreaking revelation. We will do our best to help you against the Soviet Menace.

Hitler: I know you will my comrade in arms, but you can also understand that with the wastness of the Soviet Union it is no small task. There is a time limit on the help we can offer. I hope by early spring, your bombers control the skies from Crete and Cyprus, that Malta is occupied to secure your supplies and that your troops are on a victorious march towards the Suez, because then we need you help in the east and our forces must be withdrawn. These are no small conquests to achieve in a hurry, and we should help each other as best we can.

Mussolini: I agree then. This is the time to secure the fate of our countries once and for all.

Hitler: I could not have said it better indeed these are pivotal times. I have brought liaison officers with me so let us begin immediately.

*The river barges are not wasted as bomber targets in the Channel ports ITTL. Only some mock examples and a few dozens are assembled as practice ships and to maintain the treat of a coming build-up.

**Exactly as happened OTL, but this time integrated into a strategic outlook

Last edited:

I'm not so sure, but you should feel free to critisize the butterflies as they unfold. Final solutions, well, he still wants the Russian's out for Lebensraum. The final solution is also desirable in his world view, but it may or may not get the OTL urgency.

I'm not sure how Hitler being healthier can summon up a couple million barrels more oil each year, or make the RAF & RN disappear, or improve German logistics on the Eastern Front.
It cannot, but it is better to spend the oil fighting succesful battles than losing ones.

A healthy Hitler.
At least that means Hitler's OTL stupid decisions to hold Stalingrad and the Kursk debacle won't happen.
The Mediterranean strategy would mean the fall of Malta and maybe Gibraltar.
And the Afrika Korp is getting a huge boost.
Looks like Rommel's going to parading thru Alexandria in the near future.
Please cf. chapter 3, you are not far off, although we would have to discuss if what is offered will be sufficient to get all the way to Alexandria. Still is no railroad to supply the advance.

Bullshit. They can make the USSR crumble, maybe even before the USA enters the war. This Hitler will probably contact the Japanese about helping the Germans by attacking the Russian Far East, delaying or even avoiding Pearl Harbor entirely.
I am not sure he can influence the Japanese that way, but please see the discussions on the parent TL. This Hitler does not want war with the US.

Very good TL.
Thank you, stay tuned

Please play the ball.
How? Germany still faces the huge economic, logistical, and practical issues that doomed it in OTL without Hitler's growing addiction to drugs.

Germany and Japan did not cooperate anywhere near the degree the US, UK, and Soviets did, and were really only "allied" in a diplomatic sense. Japanese interest is firmly to the south and its immediate environs, and there was extreme anxiety about the Soviets getting in Tokyo's business. Hitler without drugs isn't going to change decades of Japanese foreign policy.

The Holocaust results from the increasing extremism and barbarism of the eastern front. We would be dealing with NotHitler if he holds off on that.
He is evil as always and cannot change the fragility of the alliance with Japan.

I changed the font, it looks good on my screen?
Huomautus 2020-03-16 171711.png

Hmm.. Fascinating. Subbed.

I think that it very much possible for Germany to win by making rational decisions during the war. Instead of trying to bomb the British into submission, the most logical approach is to secure Gibraltar, Malta and Suez. Using Indian revolutionaries like Bose to foment mutiny among Indian troops, and violent agitation by Garam Dal Congress leaders could shake the British into realizing the futility of their situation. Material support or troops are not at all necessary to set India ablaze.

The Nazis would have to seriously up their propaganda game in India for this to work of course. Getting someone like a Savarkar or Bose would be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.