Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

My prediction: Kiki is fine but is whisked off to Rommel's sharpish. The press stays the fuck away because why would anyone risk running afoul of Rommel. Ben is granted Imperial leave to stay with her.

Marc A

My prediction: Kiki is fine but is whisked off to Rommel's sharpish. The press stays the fuck away because why would anyone risk running afoul of Rommel. Ben is granted Imperial leave to stay with her.

Marc A
Collapsing in public, in front of the press? She's off to the most prestigious hospital they have until she is cleared to go hide in the forest.

Part 102, Chapter 1640
Chapter One Thousand Six Hundred Forty

5th July 1964

Mitte, Berlin

Kiki remained uncertain as to the exact number of acoustic tiles that made up the ceiling of her hospital room. On either side the tiles were cut off by the walls. Was it half a tile, or a third, that was visible? Either way would affect the total. Then there was where the ceiling met the wall opposite the windows. There was only a thin sliver of tile visible. A tenth? Kiki didn’t know. She had plenty of time to count them when she wasn’t enduring the rounds of testing that she had been subjected to over the previous two days.

Exhaustion, stress and the effects of the light and sound while she had been accepting that stupid medal had made her feel dizzy and faint. All because of her incomplete recovery. That was the conclusion that the Doctors had reached. Kiki could have told them that before they had subjected her to a great deal of testing. Worse, she had collapsed in front of nearly every Press Agency of note. So, what had happened was splashed across nearly every front page and featured on nightly newscasts across the planet. The entire world knew that she had been worse off than she had let on and there was a flood of “Get well soon” letters and flowers that was being dealt with elsewhere in the hospital. The knowledge that there were a number of malcontents along with her Jacobin friends still floating around out there made it so that she couldn’t receive them herself. As she stared at the ceiling of her hospital room counting the tiles, Kiki wished that she could only screw up halfway for once in her life.

The only saving grace of her stay in the hospital this time was that she was in Neurology as opposed to the Emergency Department. The result was that she had her own room. Every mushroom cloud had a silver lining if Kiki had to guess.

First had come the physical tests, to eliminate any variables that might have caused her collapse and that was how Kiki had spent Friday night and much of Saturday. The results of the tests had been mostly negative but the things they had tested for had ranged from merely life altering to absolutely terrifying. Kiki had been relieved to learn that she didn’t have cancer. Compared with that, learning that she also wasn’t pregnant either seemed like an anticlimax. When she took the time to think about it, it wasn’t possible because she hadn’t engaged in the activity that could get her pregnant since that night she had spent with Ben in September. The same night that Berg had made fun of her about because she had supposedly woken her neighbors. Who knew that thin walls would be such an effective form of contraception? The old problem of Kiki not maintaining the best diet had been apparent though and she had found herself getting lectured by a Nutritionist before the Neurologists had taken her back for another round of tests.

Today though, had been an entirely different matter. Doctor Lehrer, the same Neurologist who had consulted on her case for Doctor Holz in Jena had come to Berlin with the intention of getting to the bottom of what had happened. He the brilliant idea of duplicating the conditions that had led to Kiki’s collapse in a laboratory setting and he didn’t seem to mind working on a Sunday. As it turned out, the Polish Doctor had been conducting studies on the effects of brain injuries like the one that Kiki had sustained. He had managed to talk her into being the subject of what was an experiment, and Kiki had been given yet another example of how her judgement was impaired. She had been given plenty of time to think about that as dozens of electrodes had been glued to her scalp.

The experiment had involved her listening to recorded applause and having a strobe light flashing in her eyes at various frequencies. Because they had recordings of what had happened, it had only taken a few minutes for Doctor Lehrer and his team to figure out exactly the right combination to make her feel dizzy. Because she was sitting down, she hadn’t felt faint, instead Kiki had experienced an extreme amount of nausea and had stopped the experiment before she had thrown up.

Lehrer and his people had seemed happy about what had happened. They had seen what they wanted in the EEG results. As Kiki had left, she had wondered where that left her. Doctor Lehrer said that he would get back to her later that afternoon and that he hoped that he would have positive news for her. In the meantime, Kiki was laying in the hospital bed, fretting and counting the tiles of her room.

The Nurse who was monitoring her stuck her head through the door “You have visitors Fraulein” She said before she vanished again.

Before Kiki could even react, Nella ran in and jumped on bed.

“Poppa said you were sick again” Nella said in a rush, “And he thinks he caused it this time.”

Looking over, Kiki saw that her father and stepmother had followed Nella into the room. They had embarrassed expressions on their faces, which meant that Nella had clearly spoken out of turn.

Last edited:
These experiments can really help both Kiki and others (especially soldiers) with the information gleaned from this, also the prominence brought forth by teating a princess.

Children are so honest, which is good and bad but I think that this time it can do a load of good.

These experiments can really help both Kiki and others (especially soldiers) with the information gleaned from this, also the prominence brought forth by teating a princess.

Children are so honest, which is good and bad but I think that this time it can do a load of good.
Okay, so usually every time Peabody-Martini likes a post, that usually means its going to happen in the story, so now I’m really interested to see what’s next.

When she is better, I get the feeling that Kiki will be having a series of... conversations... shall we say, with more than a few neurologists on the ethics of asking a mentally impaired patient for permission to run experiments on her.
Politely, ... at first.

When she is better, I get the feeling that Kiki will be having a series of... conversations... shall we say, with more than a few neurologists on the ethics of asking a mentally impaired patient for permission to run experiments on her.
Politely, ... at first.

In 1964, a Neurologist asking for consent before he conducted an experiment is actually a bit ahead of OTL ethics wise.

An interesting little detail about Doctor Lehrer, who he is, his age and where he came from is also of interest.

Okay, so usually every time Peabody-Martini likes a post, that usually means its going to happen in the story, so now I’m really interested to see what’s next.

Typically, if I like a comment it is because I think it adds to the discussion. If I think it's a good idea, then I might just use it.

One month to go until Ian Fleming dies.....at least when he died in OTL.

Seriously, all this money now reimbursing the Crown and Kiki's kidnapping is totally James Bomd material

In 1964, a Neurologist asking for consent before he conducted an experiment is actually a bit ahead of OTL ethics wise.

An interesting little detail about Doctor Lehrer, who he is, his age and where he came from is also of interest.

True, Lehrer did ask permission first. I have to give it to you, P-M, medical ethics in Stupid Luck & Happenstance are far preferable to OTL in that period.

This is a 1964 with no Neuremberg Trials.

That she is being asked for her consent is friggin light years ahead of what should be considered, especially as the Nuremberg Code doesn't exist as a consequence which was a big step in the field of informed medical consent.

ferdi254

Banned
Well, even back then it always was a question whom you were treating. And not asking the princess of Germany might have serious repercussions on your wellbeing, so it would take an absolutely ruthless character (Dr. Berg) to treat Kiki without her consent (which she already did twice).

Well, even back then it always was a question whom you were treating. And not asking the princess of Germany might have serious repercussions on your wellbeing, so it would take an absolutely ruthless character (Dr. Berg) to treat Kiki without her consent (which she already did twice).
Also true. Even so, I think Kiki is getting just a tad pissed off with it. Asking first is always good, but asking someone who may be impaired, not so much. Best to ask them with a support person in the room.

Part 102, Chapter 1641
Chapter One Thousand Six Hundred Forty-One

25th July 1964

Near Bad Reichenhall, Rural Upper Bavaria

It was a beautiful morning as Kiki walked up the trail to the old mountain chalet that would be home for the Summer Holiday. Rauchbier was sniffing at everything and tugging at the leash that Kiki had him on. Gertrud had warned her that if she didn’t keep her dog under control and he caused trouble with the sheep that grazed around here then it would upset the shepherd. No one wanted that.

“My father lived up here before the main house was livable” Gertrud said as she led Kiki onto the covered porch that ran the length of the chalet. Kiki was studying her features knowing that she was Lea Bäcker’s mother. “If you don’t mind not having the full amenities of a spa hotel then you’ll probably enjoy it here.”

That was a bit of an understatement. The place was extremely rustic. Set into the side of a mountain and made mostly from wood that might have been painted once upon a time if the red and white flecks were anything to judge by. It faced a meadow that was pleasant enough except the ground dropped away steeply. A couple hundred meters away, Kiki could see the trees that hid the main house from view. That was where Kiki had left her car because there was nowhere closer. Going the other direction up the mountain was the Austrian border only a kilometer or so away.

When Gertrud opened the door, Kiki was expecting musky air, instead it was the pleasant smell of lavender.

“I had it cleaned out when Lea said that you were coming Kristina” Gertrud said, “She said that you needed someplace quiet to recover after that cretin hit you. I saw that on television and it looked bad.”

For the thousandth time Kiki wondered if anyone hadn’t seen the clip of her getting clubbed over the head. She wondered if their view of it would change if they saw the part that had been cut out where she had stabbed that man with the karambit before getting between her captors and Marie Alexandra.

The single room that made up the chalet seemed practical enough. A bed sat in one corner and a wood burning stove was in the other. The stove was of a type that was instantly familiar to anyone in the military. Beyond just providing heat, it could be used for limited cooking and had a built-in water boiler. Shelves that held tins, bins and packages as well as other household goods lined the back wall. A table and chairs dominated the center of the room.

“Everything you need is here” Gertrud said, “The outhouse is around back just past the clothesline, the lamps are full and there is a box on the shelves that has matches, candles and additional oil. If you find you need anything else, or even just a meal you don’t have to make yourself and a hot shower then don’t be afraid to come down the hill.”

Kiki looked around; this place really did seem perfect.

“Thank you” Kiki said, “You are very kind to let me stay here.”

“You were just lucky that your sister asked when she did” Gertrud said, “Lea is going on leave for the next year in a couple weeks.”

“I didn’t know” Kiki replied, Lea was the Operations Officer of the First Foot Regiment. A highly sought-after position. “Why would she do that?”

Gertrud just looked at her like if it was something too obvious to mention. Then it hit Kiki what that meant, and it occurred to her that she knew absolutely nothing about Lea’s life outside the Regiment. “Oh” Kiki said “Sorry, I didn’t realize.”

“Nice to know that my daughter’s male colleagues are not the only ones who can be oblivious at times about such matters” Gertrud said, “Her and her husband have been trying for some time. No matter, I’ll get my son Joseph to help you with your luggage.”

“I didn’t bring much” Kiki replied, “I understood that it would be a bit of a walk to get up here when I packed.”

“Nonsense” Gertrud said, “He needs to get out of the house occasionally because if he lays about for the Summer Holiday then my father will doubtlessly find something for him to do.”

“What does your son do normally” Kiki asked, wondering how he had a Summer Holiday like a student.

“He teaches Art Appreciation at the University of Munich” The tone of Gertrud’s voice suggesting what she thought of her son’s vocation. “He plays at being a writer, but no reputable publisher would accept his work, even at gunpoint. Josef a bit too much like his father, who is out of the picture before you even ask about him.”

It was probably just as well that Kiki hadn’t asked.

Just then Rauchbier hopped up onto the bed and Gertrud shooed him off. “I had the ropes tightened and the mattress aired out yesterday” She said, happy to change the subject away from her family.

“Wait” Kiki said, “Ropes?”

“You’ll figure it out soon enough” Gertrud said, “Your copy of the key is on the table, welcome home Kristina.”

With that Gertrud left, leaving Kiki alone in the chalet. She wondered if she ought to have told her host that she went by Kiki. It hardly mattered now.

For lack of anything better to do, Kiki sat down on the bed and discovered that it was a bit too soft for her liking. However, the alternative was sleeping on the floor and that didn’t seem like a pleasant idea. Rauchbier jumped back up onto the bed and sat beside her. Welcome to the Summer Holiday, Kiki thought to herself as she scratched behind his ears.

Last edited:
For the thousandth time Kiki wondered if anyone hadn’t seen the clip of her getting clubbed over the head. She wondered if their view of it would change if they saw the part that had been cut out where she had stabbed that man with the karambit before getting between her captors and Marie Alexandra.
They cropped that out? Awwww!!!

Guessing ropes under the bed as opposed to wooden slats? That is provided the bed is more than just a mattress on the ground...
You guessed it and it is something that is a bit outside most people's experience.

rope bed.jpg