Sports What Ifs.

This idea came to me in the possibility of a four-leagued NFL (or UGFA or whatever would be used):

WI a Robin-round tournament system was used to decide Super Bowl contenders with a bracket system for the final four?

Here's a WI: WI the Cleveland Indians draft Derek Jeter in the 1992 draft? (Note: The Indians were 2nd in the 1992 MLB Draft, ahead of the New York Yankees--the Houston Astros famously passed on Jeter in 1992, causing Hal Newhouser, who worked for the Houston Astros and had recommended that the Astros sign Jeter with the first pick, to resign; yeah, I bet the Astros came to regret that...)

Assuming he still makes his debut in 1995, the Cleveland Indians probably win either one or both of the World Series they appeared in both in 1995 and 1997, not to mention that they will do better in the 1990s...

Here's a WI: WI the Cleveland Indians draft Derek Jeter in the 1992 draft? (Note: The Indians were 2nd in the 1992 MLB Draft, ahead of the New York Yankees--the Houston Astros famously passed on Jeter in 1992, causing Hal Newhouser, who worked for the Houston Astros and had recommended that the Astros sign Jeter with the first pick, to resign; yeah, I bet the Astros came to regret that...)

Assuming he still makes his debut in 1995, the Cleveland Indians probably win either one or both of the World Series they appeared in both in 1995 and 1997, not to mention that they will do better in the 1990s...
IIRC, the one scouted Jeter more were the Reds than Indians...unless the indians trade for him?

IIRC the Reds wanted Jeter both as SS and and OF

Maybe the Yankees (without Jeter) end up trading for Mariner SS Omar Visquel (but trade Mariano Rivera away in the process). No Jeter and Mariano means no Yankee dynasty!

Jeter’s lifelong ambition was to play for the Yankees. He might try to get traded to New York.

Or, he wins for the Indians and, then, goes to New York as a free agent--George Steinbrenner would certainly be willing to offer a recent (likely) World Series winner a huge contract...

Recent idea:

Raiders were willing to trade RB Marcus Allen and the #24 pick in the 1991 Draft to the Saints in exchange for sit-out Bobby Hebert, but GM Jim Finks refused, wanting to punish Hebert for his efforts in a new contract.

What if Finks swallowed his pride (or helped by Benson) and accepted the trade?

Recent idea:

Raiders were willing to trade RB Marcus Allen and the #24 pick in the 1991 Draft to the Saints in exchange for sit-out Bobby Hebert, but GM Jim Finks refused, wanting to punish Hebert for his efforts in a new contract.

What if Finks swallowed his pride (or helped by Benson) and accepted the trade?

And then taken Brett Favre with that 24 pick. If they could have kept the Dome Patrol together and stocked with talent they would have been throwing down with the Cowboys for the Team of the '90s title

Or, he wins for the Indians and, then, goes to New York as a free agent--George Steinbrenner would certainly be willing to offer a recent (likely) World Series winner a huge contract...
I know Steinbrenner can pull a reggie jackson...what could the yankees trade rather wait 2000?
And then taken Brett Favre with that 24 pick. If they could have kept the Dome Patrol together and stocked with talent they would have been throwing down with the Cowboys for the Team of the '90s title
Favre with the saints would be unreal...

A shit-ton of draft picks? Besides, I’m sure Steinbrenner will get the better end of the trade unless he bets the house.
We don't trade those in baseball but top prospect are the same, and i think cleveland can get half house and still is a win for yankee but indians might not be that bad in the new millenium too.

Pull a reggie jackson is: 'i might not pay you more at the beggining, but i can make you earn more money at the end' and really, Seriously Reggie was NY Icon with all the endorsement deals he got and all his sucess bring too

Here is my opinion of what would have happened with Favre (his first few years):

Favre probably doesn't start his rookie year, so the Saints go with Steve Walsh (who they traded for the year before). They still beat the 49ers at home 10-3 (they beat them with Walsh), but the Falcons win the West, and the Niners get the WC (the Saints finish 8-8 with Walsh).

The Niners beat the Falcons in the WC Round, but their reward is a trip to RFK, where they lose 27-17 to the SB-bound Redskins.

Then, in 92, the Saints realize that they need to hire a good QB coach, and they find one that can help Favre develop. He doesn't party nearly as much as a rookie in NO (I think that one reason for his out of control partying in Atlanta was that he didn't feel liked there, especially by HC Jerry Glanville), but he would still be raw, and need some work.

So, they start out with Steve Walsh at QB, but he gets hurt in week 5, with the Saints at 2-2 (the Dome Patrol was responsible for the two victories). Favre comes in, and they make Marcus Allen a bigger focus of the offense to ease Favre into the lineup. The Saints go on a roll and finish 11-5, making the playoffs. In the playoffs at Philly, Favre doesn't throw the crushing picks that Hebert throws, and the Saints beat Philly in Round 1 before losing a tough one at Dallas.

That win made an impression on Reggie White. In the off-season, after a few visits, White signed with the Saints, and Allen decided to re-up with NO on a two-year deal. In the draft, the Saints take OT Willie Roaf (in a trade with Detroit for Pat Swilling. They have Renaldo Turnbull to take his place) and TE Irv Smith (father of the rookie Viking TE) in Round 1 and WR Qadry Ismail in Round 2.

NO wins 12 games and their first ever West division title. They end up with the 2-seed, and end up in Dallas for the NFC Title Game, where they lose again. The next year, though, they get Deion to join them (also, Rickey Jackson stays put and retires a Saint), and they draft WR Isaac Bruce and G Vaughn Parker in the first two rounds. They get to SB 29, where they beat the Chargers 34-14 to win their first title (they still get their first title in Miami, but 15 years earlier).

I’m listening to a book about the Penn State scandal, and it raised an interesting what-if: in 1978 (I think,) Patriots owner Billy Sullivan offered Joe Paterno the head coaching job, basically offering him the keys to the kingdom - he would have been general manager and received part ownership.

Paterno was thiiiiiiiiiis close to taking the job but stayed at Penn State (the Pats we’re offering a ton more money and, y’know, part ownership.)

What if he had taken the Patriots’ job?

I’m listening to a book about the Penn State scandal, and it raised an interesting what-if: in 1978 (I think,) Patriots owner Billy Sullivan offered Joe Paterno the head coaching job, basically offering him the keys to the kingdom - he would have been general manager and received part ownership.

Paterno was thiiiiiiiiiis close to taking the job but stayed at Penn State (the Pats we’re offering a ton more money and, y’know, part ownership.)

What if he had taken the Patriots’ job?
Did he take sandusky with him? or sandusky takeover Penn State...either way.......

Depends, if he win one with the indians...no chance he even get traded at all.

Actually, that might make him leave.

In 1984, for instance, Rick Sutcliffe almost left the Cubs as a free agent but felt badly that he'd choked in Game 5 of the NLCS and so re-signed, even though he was from the Kansas City area and really wanted to play for the Royals. (An interesting what-if in itself.)

If Jeter has floundered in a playoff - and he's really young in '95 so might not do as well, but there is 1997 when he might replace Omar Vizquel - he might remain with Cleveland out of loyalty, knowing how the fans have suffered and how he was thiiiiis close.

But, if he wins one there, yeah, he'd have the keys to the city if he was one of the stars on that team that finally won a World Series. However, he'd probably be like,, 'My work is done here. Now I want to go where I'm going to be a megastar."

But, back to Sucliffe, let's say the Tigers beat the Cubs in 6 in the Series - quite likely, that was a superb team - and Sutcliffe then leave for the Royals as a free agent. (Yeah, I know there was collusion starting then, but if he promises to sign for a low enough figure, they might do it, knowing they could use a veteran presence.)

Funny thing is, the Royals might win the World Series anyway. Saberhagen was good enough to win a job as starter out of spring training, but Mark Gubicza could be replaced easily and kept in AAA a year longer. Sutcliffe's first couple months saw more good outings than bad, while Gubicza could have used a bit more seasoning, as he started the year 1-4 with an ERA near 5. Sutcliffe was injured for several weeks, then again for a couple months. If Gubicza is brought up having worked out some kinks as the Royals' bats came to life, they might wind up a couple wins better than OTL. Then, Sutcliffe either is the 5th starter or stays in the bullpen once October rolls around.

His 1986 was bad, though - and since they had the same 5 starters in '86 and '87 OTL, someone is probably traded. Perhaps Gubicza is traded with David Cone to the Mets for offensive help, so instead of the lopsided Cone for... Ed Hearn?... trade, it's Cone and Gubicza for Hearn and Kevin Mitchell, whom the Royals hope to turn into a right fielder but if not, he can replace Hal McRae when he retires as DH.

Sutcliffe's win total was much better, but his ERA only .3 runs b etter,3.68 versus 3.98. Is that enough, though, to get the Royals 3 extra wins to beat the Twins in '87? Do they beat the Tigers and the Cardinals then win the rematch of the '85 Series?

Actually, that might make him leave.

In 1984, for instance, Rick Sutcliffe almost left the Cubs as a free agent but felt badly that he'd choked in Game 5 of the NLCS and so re-signed, even though he was from the Kansas City area and really wanted to play for the Royals. (An interesting what-if in itself.)

If Jeter has floundered in a playoff - and he's really young in '95 so might not do as well, but there is 1997 when he might replace Omar Vizquel - he might remain with Cleveland out of loyalty, knowing how the fans have suffered and how he was thiiiiis close.

But, if he wins one there, yeah, he'd have the keys to the city if he was one of the stars on that team that finally won a World Series. However, he'd probably be like,, 'My work is done here. Now I want to go where I'm going to be a megastar."

But, back to Sucliffe, let's say the Tigers beat the Cubs in 6 in the Series - quite likely, that was a superb team - and Sutcliffe then leave for the Royals as a free agent. (Yeah, I know there was collusion starting then, but if he promises to sign for a low enough figure, they might do it, knowing they could use a veteran presence.)

Funny thing is, the Royals might win the World Series anyway. Saberhagen was good enough to win a job as starter out of spring training, but Mark Gubicza could be replaced easily and kept in AAA a year longer. Sutcliffe's first couple months saw more good outings than bad, while Gubicza could have used a bit more seasoning, as he started the year 1-4 with an ERA near 5. Sutcliffe was injured for several weeks, then again for a couple months. If Gubicza is brought up having worked out some kinks as the Royals' bats came to life, they might wind up a couple wins better than OTL. Then, Sutcliffe either is the 5th starter or stays in the bullpen once October rolls around.

His 1986 was bad, though - and since they had the same 5 starters in '86 and '87 OTL, someone is probably traded. Perhaps Gubicza is traded with David Cone to the Mets for offensive help, so instead of the lopsided Cone for... Ed Hearn?... trade, it's Cone and Gubicza for Hearn and Kevin Mitchell, whom the Royals hope to turn into a right fielder but if not, he can replace Hal McRae when he retires as DH.

Sutcliffe's win total was much better, but his ERA only .3 runs b etter,3.68 versus 3.98. Is that enough, though, to get the Royals 3 extra wins to beat the Twins in '87? Do they beat the Tigers and the Cardinals then win the rematch of the '85 Series?

I think you’re onto something - Jeter would probably stay until he wins one, and then all bets are off. And we all know the Yankees would outspend the Indians like crazy, so given his preference for the Yankees, they probably get him at a ridiculous premium. Of course, if Jeter leads the Tribe to a title, they’ll cheer him as a visitor no matter what. Even if his last act as an Indian is to walk out to home plate at Jacobs Field and take a shit on it, they’ll cheer him.

Did he take sandusky with him? or sandusky takeover Penn State...either way.......

Sandusky was a rising star in the late 1970s, so him taking over is a strong possibility. As far as the scandal goes, I see three possibilities:

1. Someone sees nowhere else to go in reporting it, goes to the police, and it breaks either sooner or in the same time as OTL.

2. Sandusky is never caught and is still molesting boys to this day.

3. Probably the likeliest and most interesting scenario - the coverup is unearthed and found to be insane. OTL the police tripped over their own feet, witnesses clammed up at the worst possible times, Paterno did the bare minimum under the law, and the world may never know how much the administrators really knew. In this scenario, the coverup would read like something out of a Grisham novel, the administrators would be both active participants and going above and beyond simply concealing Sandusky’s misdeeds from last enforcement - we’re talking about the university and Sandusky himself going on the offensive the way Lance Armstrong did. And when it all falls apart (and given that there were ten victims, it was bound to,) it will be all-out war between the university and its diehard supporters and those who hate what Sandusky did. And when he goes down, Penn State probably gets the death penalty.

As for Paterno, Sullivan unloaded the Pats when he couldn’t move them in the early 90s. Here, Paterno seems like a more likely buyer than Kraft, and the team stays in New England. However, an outside possibility - Paterno has a falling out with the Boston area for whatever reason and he moves the team after he gets full control, not to St. Louis but to his native Brooklyn. He changes the name (the Yanks or something) and Boston is left open. This leaves it open for the Rams, who become the new Patriots and temporarily make the NFC West’s name completely laughable.

The Browns still move to Baltimore, and the Oilers still move - but St. Louis is open and ready, unlike Nashville, so St. Louis gets the Oilers (who also readily change their name, since there’s reason to do so and Bud Adams can be pressured more easily into forking over the Oilers name.) So the NFL now has the new Patriots, the new Browns, and the new Oilers, NYC has three teams, and LA once again is temporarily shut out for total lack of getting its collective shit together.

The new Pats move to the AFC, meaning two teams have to jump to the NFC - I nominate the Seahawks and Colts. This means the NFC lines up nicely as long as the Colts go to the East and the Cowboys the West, but the AFC is a huge headache.