Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

My theory is that the Office of Public Decency of Spain is a Diversitarian institution created to reassemble the country to some kind of pre-Societist state. That's why they have so much power over anything with Spanish language. Public decency in this case is just a fancy way of saying "not-Societism". They follow the Russian model probably

My theory is that the Office of Public Decency of Spain is a Diversitarian institution created to reassemble the country to some kind of pre-Societist state. That's why they have so much power over anything with Spanish language. Public decency in this case is just a fancy way of saying "not-Societism". They follow the Russian model probably

I'm now imagining them going "you there, stop acting like everyone else. You are an individual!"

I'm now imagining them going "you there, stop acting like everyone else. You are an individual!"

Imagine them assigning ideologies to people to recreate party politics lmao

"Okay, Ernesto, you're going to be a radical Mentian."

"What, like just for this upcoming riot or--"

"No. I mean... from now on you're a Mentian. We've already registered your party preference."

Unlike Gabriel of Peru, Verbeek unquestionably knew what he was getting his country in for, which makes his actions all the more damning in the public narrative.

Does this make Verbeek a Quisling-like figure in Timeline L's people's consciousness?

For that included the province of Panama, meaning that the divide between the ‘Liberated Zones’ and the free world would not lie at the edge of South America, but a little way along the isthmus. And that would have a remarkable consequence in the leadup to the Black Twenties...

Guatemala being invaded? Or maybe something to do with the Societists building their own canal?

The enthusiastic embrace of the Fever Dream by Verbeek (and Guyana’s existing Dutch distinctiveness), the grim acceptance of Gabriel, the violent independence of Pichegru, the quixotic foolishness of Diego.

And nobody thinks of poor little Pernambuco. So far from God, so close to the Global Societist Combine.

Multinational Day of Nationhood

This gave me a bit of a chuckle.

So Spain is a country again?

My theory is that the Office of Public Decency of Spain is a Diversitarian institution created to reassemble the country to some kind of pre-Societist state.

My guess is restoration of Spain as well. Maybe in personal union with France again?

I feel bad for TTL me as a little kid living through it.

You probably shouldn't worry as you were most likely butterflied away. :p

Alfarus and his dwindling number of yet-unpurged allies decided that this insult could not go unavenged. France had also volunteered to host the Global Games in 1916. Therefore, in an action that many commentators mistook for a return to antebelum normalcy merely under a different regime, in 1916[6] the Combine took the unprecedented step of sending athletes to compete…

I have a feeling that this isn't going to end well.

Thande

Donor
Thanks for the comments everyone!

At some point soon I'll be doing an "Introduction to the Look to the West series" article for SLP, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on what should go into it, as readers seeing it from the outside.

Thande

Donor
@Thande

The thing I keep fixating on is how these advertisements portray a Britain (or at least an England) far more “American” than IOTL. You’ve Western lawmen disguised as People’s Kingdom sheriffs, insurers chasing teenage drivers, and soap operas straight from daytime network TV.
It's interesting you say that, because that wasn't my intention. The only real theme I have with England is that it's more "Europeanised" than OTL (gendarmes, etc.) The People's Kingdom as the Wild West is a fair point, but of course OTL Britain loved Wild West fiction as well, especially in the 1950s. Insurers chasing drivers and terrible soap operas are very much things in OTL Britain (so they were meant to be examples of 'some things never change, no matter the timeline') but you're right that it being aimed specifically at teenage drivers is probably more of an American thing. I was more thinking of an old UK insurer who pushed the idea that they were aimed at 'careful drivers' (i.e. it was cheap but you were screwed if you were actually in a crash) and adapted it to a different demographic.

Incidentally, the adverts on the last segment are deliberately meant to evoke a different feel; this is a restricted SSAAX course not available to everyone, and though in theory people from any background can apply, there will be a tilt towards the rich. Hence the adverts focused on rich kids.

For the introduction to LTTW series, I think it might make sense to approach it thematically given how many hundreds of thousands of words have already been spilled on it so far.

Perhaps (inter alia):-
  1. Broad outline of geopolitics
  2. General ideological divergences
  3. Brief primer on Sanchez
  4. LTTW terminology.

The other thing I'd add to the intro is a (very) broad brush overview of 'eras' and wars, in the way that UK history seems to go (for example) Napoleon / Victorians / WWI / Abdication / WWII / Cold War, ignoring all the other things that happened

xsampa

Banned
"No, no, not a Hopi clown-street musician. A Spanish individual. We have a list of approved types here."
Also, the fall of the Universal Church is going to lead to New Religious Movements that will create problems for Diversitarians seeking to impose the old religions

Thande

Donor
For the introduction to LTTW series, I think it might make sense to approach it thematically given how many hundreds of thousands of words have already been spilled on it so far.

Perhaps (inter alia):-
  1. Broad outline of geopolitics
  2. General ideological divergences
  3. Brief primer on Sanchez
  4. LTTW terminology.

The other thing I'd add to the intro is a (very) broad brush overview of 'eras' and wars, in the way that UK history seems to go (for example) Napoleon / Victorians / WWI / Abdication / WWII / Cold War, ignoring all the other things that happened
Both interesting thoughts, thank you.

(And it's over a million, actually :p Though Iainbhx's Azure Main is still longer...)

Thande

Donor
Incidentally, another SLP plug:

Head's up that the SLP social media (or as they say in Sheffield, SERSHAL MEEDJA) sites will now be updated on a regular basis by me (except the Instagram which is done by a fellow writer).

LIKE COMMENT SUBSCRIBE FOLLOW THUMB'S UP FIVE STARS WHATEVER THE YOUNG PEOPLE SAY TODAY

The Sea Lion Press Facebook (Contains only the finest Nick Clegg)

The Sea Lion Press Twitter (a welcome oasis of content on the World's Worst Website)

The Sea Lion Press Instagram (no idea, doesn't it have something to do with pictures of Cardassians?)

Now this is actually relevant - no it is, come back! - because I've already had one comment on Twitter from an LTTW reader who wanted to ask if the map & flag images could be put somewhere online where they could be viewed more clearly. I'd appreciate your thoughts in this thread on this as well - a Deviantart perhaps, or on the SLP website?

xsampa

Banned
Also, the fall of the Universal Church is going to lead to New Religious Movements that will create problems for Diversitarians seeking to impose the old religions
The Universal Church could wage an insurgency in the Andes after the fall of the Combine although it's highly centralized, state-subordinatef structure makes it unlikely