Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, ok. That was intended to be a light-hearted joke, wasn't aware there were serious grievances. Apologies.
Oh, no, it's perfectly fine.

Though, uh, also...

Who's the leader of the monopoly
That's made for you and me?
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
Hey! there, Hi! there, Ho! there!
You're as welcome as can be!
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
Hey! there, Hi! there, Ho! there!
But only if you can make us more money!
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Forever let us hold our banner
High! High! High! High!

wMNka27.jpg

Sorry, blacked out there for a second. What was I saying?

Isaac Beach

Banned
Though, in any case, I suppose if given the choice between Christian settlement in northern Canada or a Disney-run megacity, I'd choose the latter. (I like Disney... a lot.)

Kind of missed the point of the map then, frankly, but more power to you.

Goddamn, Native American empires don't get love (especially so seeing how this map got drowned out). May likes bless you!
I liked this comment so it could be like I was liking it again.

Liking what again, you might ask, as a casual visitor to the map thread who may have missed the map in question?

This! This map! Go ahead and check it out and give it some love because Fred Guo is right, Native American empires don't get enough love!
yhPV223.png

annotated map of the state of western North America in 1050 in my TL
And since commentary is often more gratifying than a like, I have a few questions. How far back is the PoD? Are languages/language families in roughly the same area as OTL? What exactly do the colored-in areas on the map represent? Are they medieval states as we would understand them today or are they general culture groups? For example, if the ruler of Tongva decided to declare war on Ivilyuqaletem, would the decree directly affect (as the decree intends) the lives of people right on the border of Azucsagna (send an able-bodied fighter or a bushel of whatever)? Speaking of Tongva, are they going to absolutely steamroll Ivilyuqaletem when Lake Paui dries up? What is their relationship with Huatepec, if any?

More than anything, what strikes me about this scenario is the extent to which the societies, particularly the Californian (sorry, Califernean) societies, are urbanized and presumably agriculture-based. How are diseases developing? Are there well-known ailments or plagues that have developed to thrive in a city environment, capable of killing thousands of people but not everyone altogether? When someone crosses the ocean blue, in 1492 or otherwise, will the diseases they bring demolish this beautiful ecosystem and will any diseases from these regions bring similar ruin to Europe in a double-whammy of horror?

Hmm - looks nice, but the "Stan" suffix comes from Persian and is pretty exclusive to countries with Turkish and Iranian-type languages. "Arabistan" seems unlikely as a name for an Arabic nation, and might even come off as insulting.

In Turkish Saudi Arabia is "Suudi Arabistan" but yes that is an exonym and not the endonym after all so an Arabic nation most likely wouldn't be known as "Arabistan" in English.

View attachment 499658
So currently just trying to mess around with the icecap melted basemap, haven't gotten to Africa or Asia yet so this is a WIP... but, thoughts? I'm probably going to split my Chile-Argentina thing there, so that could be ignored, but thoughts on everything else?

Basically what I have right now is that Canada is basically a superpower now... America suffered a lot in the sea level rise... Mexico is a major power but they're also low-key on the brink of collapse... Europe is advanced but has a fairly small population... NOTE: the white areas outlined in red were devastated so much that they're ungoverned- either the population was reduced so much that there isn't really much to govern, or the devastation shattered most infrastructure and so chaos reigns.
"Major power but also low-key on the brink of collapse" sounds like it would be more or less the norm for the surviving societies in such an event. I like the scenario but I do find it somewhat hard to believe that America suffered so much they forgot what all their states looked like.

Hmm - looks nice, but the "Stan" suffix comes from Persian and is pretty exclusive to countries with Turkish and Iranian-type languages. "Arabistan" seems unlikely as a name for an Arabic nation, and might even come off as insulting.

Agreed - given the largely topographic nature of the borders (following mountain ranges mostly) without regard to ethno-religious groups, and the colonial tier line through the Syrian desert, when I made this I had in mind a sort of post-colonial Middle East with the “Arabistan” part being it’s colloquial English name. Sort of like how “bantustans” in South Africa have no connection to Persia and Central Asia, but the term stuck anyway. I did not intend for it to be ignorant/offensive, and I probably should have given more context behind it in the OP.

"Major power but also low-key on the brink of collapse" sounds like it would be more or less the norm for the surviving societies in such an event. I like the scenario but I do find it somewhat hard to believe that America suffered so much they forgot what all their states looked like.
It was more the mass migrations that resulted in changes in state borders... basically everyone moved somewhere new, making old borders pretty irrelevant. At least that’s what I was going with

View attachment 499658
So currently just trying to mess around with the icecap melted basemap, haven't gotten to Africa or Asia yet so this is a WIP... but, thoughts? I'm probably going to split my Chile-Argentina thing there, so that could be ignored, but thoughts on everything else?

Basically what I have right now is that Canada is basically a superpower now... America suffered a lot in the sea level rise... Mexico is a major power but they're also low-key on the brink of collapse... Europe is advanced but has a fairly small population... NOTE: the white areas outlined in red were devastated so much that they're ungoverned- either the population was reduced so much that there isn't really much to govern, or the devastation shattered most infrastructure and so chaos reigns.
so what's the base?

upload_2019-11-4_22-1-49.png

Italy in Poland-Bohemia thing world (coat of arms shamelessly stolen from the internet). It is more of confederation than actual federal state and as tiara on the coat of arms suggests it's lead by the Pope.

Bogdanoff

Banned
View attachment 499770

Italy in Poland-Bohemia thing world (coat of arms shamelessly stolen from the internet). It is more of confederation than actual federal state and as tiara on the coat of arms suggests it's lead by the Pope.
It feels weird to see HRE, republic of Venice and Papal states all survive to the present day and it only makes your content more interesting. Aren't Monaco and San Marino members of this Italian confederation? Also, IOTL this italian flag was based on french revolutionary tricolor, what's it's origin ITTL?

It feels weird to see HRE, republic of Venice and Papal states all survive to the present day and it only makes your content more interesting. Aren't Monaco and San Marino members of this Italian confederation? Also, IOTL this italian flag was based on french revolutionary tricolor, what's it's origin ITTL?

Well I can see Monaco in the map but its name is not shown. As for San Marino, maybe the Papal States didn't recognize it's independence ittl. Since iirc Papal States recognize the independence of San Marino in the 17th Century.

I would've but I have no idea how to go about it.

It's actually an alt-anarchist society set in the near future.

Ya know how the West has capitalism and Russia and China have communism? I feel like the Third World should have anarchism (the actual ideology not chaos). It'd be like a big black bloc.

But if you think of something better I'm down.
I like this idea. Is the area under one contiguous state/federation, or is this more of an area that largely comprises itself up of many states that subscribe to this ideology? And another question, is this in reaction to the OTL Cold War (or some comparable, parallel ideological conflict), or would the PoD be much further back? I ask since you've got India covered, which makes me think Mughals.

Status
Not open for further replies.