Wilhelm I, Former German Emperor, King of Poland!

From Austria in dissolution: being the personal recollections of Stephan, Count Burián, London, E. Benn, 1925

tempFileForShare_20190911-154055.jpg

As you can see above, one of the proposals for the crown of Poland during the tumultuous period between 1916 and 1918 was none other than Wilhelm II, German Emperor - such a move would tie Germany and Poland in a personal union, but Wilhelm II declined and offered Charles Stephen instead.

This is not a WI on whether this could happen in a German victory in WWI. Rather, I propose this sequence of events:

• In late 1917, right after the October Revolution (earlier than this offer actually happened OTL, but let's go with it), Wilhelm II is declared King of Poland. This gives the new Kingdom of Poland about one year of civilian administration to have the new monarchic government settle in and gain a foothold.
  • Germany loses World War I like OTL and on schedule.
  • Wilhelm II abdicates - but only abdicates his title as German Emperor. He keeps his title as King of Poland and leaves Germany not for the Netherlands, but for Poland.
  • The Armistice of Compiegne is signed on November 11th, any and all German control over Poland is lost and Poland becomes an independent kingdom under King Wilhelm I...
What happens now?

I don't read that as an offer for a German-Polish personal union. It looks more like what happened with Spain and Romaniaa few decades prior: installing a Catholic Hohenzollern with the blessing of the leader of the house.

• Wilhelm II abdicates - but only abdicates his title as German Emperor. He keeps his title as King of Poland and leaves Germany not for the Netherlands, but for Poland.
Dunno if the Polish would send him back, maybe still grateful they give them independance? later on if Poland won the Soviet Poland war in Schedule that make thing interesting..

As Nivek said above, Wilhelm might have a chance at consolidating his control over Poland with a Soviet invasion and effectively portray himself as a Pole fighting against Russian tyranny.

How long would Wilhelm be able to last on the throne of Poland, then? And what happens to the monarchist movement in the Weimar Republic?

I think it is even less likely solution than Nicholas II losing Russian throne but keeping Polish one. What is use of Wilhelm once he is kicked out of German throne? Wilhelm on the throne in such circumstances would spoil Poland's relations with both Germany and Entente.

BigBlueBox

Banned
His best bet for preserving the monarchy would be convincing one of his sons to convert to Catholicism, then abdicating and declaring that son the heir.

longsword14

Banned
He gets removed from the throne one way or another as soon as an independent Polish state is formed. Neither the Poles nor the Entente want him there.