[AH Fiction] The Game of Driveball

Do you think, given its ties to Gaelic football, that Dublin should host a Driveball game? Or maybe even a Driveball-GAA match?

Just my idea for the rebel league, just some ideas for team names

Global Driveball Alliance (Davidson/Murphy League)

East

New York Savages
Jacksonville Sharks
Birmingham Freedom
Louisville Kings

West
Los Angeles Solars
Utah Hornets
Phoenix Fire
Portland Beavers

EDIT: Instead of Solons, which is very old fashioned, I'll go with Solars, which evokes the power of the sun and the heat in Southern California.

Last edited:
Dublin will indeed host an exhibition. In fact, they'll be the first European city to do so. Boston Unicorns vs Chicago Gaels at Croke Park.

Driveball's similarity to Gaelic football might doom the game there however, I think that the best markets in Europe for it might be those countries where no similar sport is played and, inside those countries, those regions where the local sides do not have a lot of chances at doing well in their country's national sport. For example...

Corsica - rugby is strongest in Occitania, and no Corsican side ever won the Ligue 1.
Galicia - rugby is strongest in Catalonia, and Deportivo La Coruña's La Liga title is a few decades away.
Grisons - rugby is not really a thing in Switzerland, hockey is quite big in the Grisons but Driveball's quite different from it.
Luxembourg - small but rich country where rugby is a very minor sport, and that can't rival the bigger European sides in association football.
Sicily - rugby did not really develop there, no Sicilian team's ever won the Serie A, the Sicilian-American community could introduce the sport there.

And so on... these are very peripheral regions, however. Maybe Driveball could take the place of American football in some of the regions where the latter is relatively popular, like Germany.

Driveball's similarity to Gaelic football might doom the game there however, I think that the best markets in Europe for it might be those countries where no similar sport is played and, inside those countries, those regions where the local sides do not have a lot of chances at doing well in their country's national sport. For example...

Corsica - rugby is strongest in Occitania, and no Corsican side ever won the Ligue 1.
Galicia - rugby is strongest in Catalonia, and Deportivo La Coruña's La Liga title is a few decades away.
Grisons - rugby is not really a thing in Switzerland, hockey is quite big in the Grisons but Driveball's quite different from it.
Luxembourg - small but rich country where rugby is a very minor sport, and that can't rival the bigger European sides in association football.
Sicily - rugby did not really develop there, no Sicilian team's ever won the Serie A, the Sicilian-American community could introduce the sport there.

And so on... these are very peripheral regions, however. Maybe Driveball could take the place of American football in some of the regions where the latter is relatively popular, like Germany.

So basically, would Palermo be a good place for a Sicilian club?

Any English towns where the local teams have never won the FA Cup?

So basically, would Palermo be a good place for a Sicilian club?

Any English towns where the local teams have never won the FA Cup?

Since Palermo is the de facto capital of Sicily, it would; England already has rugby union in the south and rugby league in the north but, since professionalism was introduced to rugby union only in the 1990s, you could get away with having a team based in London; Denmark and Norway introduced professionalism in association football in 1978 and 1992 so you could plop a couple professional teams there, too.

Bonn, Copenhagen, Luxembourg City and Oslo would make a fine northern conference, in my opinion; I put Bonn here because at the time it was the de facto capital of West Germany but didn't really have a lot going for it in association football or any other sport.

Last edited:
The very first international games
January 11, 1970

The war between the AFL and NFL was finally over. The Kansas City Chiefs defeated the Minnesota Vikings in a game that would retroactively be called Super Bowl IV.

January 17, 1970

The United Driveball Alliance makes its biggest gamble yet. This year, they have sent several of their marquee teams to Europe for a series of pre-season exhibition games.

In 1955, the Boston Unicorns humiliated the Chicago Gaels in an exhibition that helped give Driveball a foothold in Florida, a state that had no professional sports franchises at the time. That single showdown cleared the way for the entry of the Miami Flamingos in the old NDA three years later.

This year, the UDA hopes to gain a foothold in Europe. Of course, soccer juggernauts like FC Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich have gone on to field teams in other sports like basketball and field hockey. So it won't be too much of a stretch should Driveball be added to the multiple sport portfolios of said clubs and maybe a few others.

The first game on the European tour was played on January 17 at Croke Park in Dublin. The Boston Unicorns and Chicago Gaels were obvious choices for the UDA's first game in front of an Irish crowd, as both clubs represent cities that still have extremely high Irish-American segments. The Unicorns and Gaels were tied at 30 apiece when Boston front pocket Brian Perry punched the ball past Chicago rookie goalie Hugh Monahan to win the game for Boston 36-30.

The second was played the following day in Palermo, Italy at Stadio La Favorita. This time, it was the Cleveland Mad Hatters and New Jersey Rogues. Cleveland volunteered, as team owner Bruno Scarfiotti was the son of Sicilian immigrants. The Rogues volunteered to accompany the Hatters, as a demographic survey revealed a large number of their fans happen to be of Italian ancestry. The Hatters and Rogues played to a defensive struggle that ended with New Jersey winning 18 to 9.

The third and final European game of the year was played a week later at London's Wembley Stadium. The Los Angeles Jaguars and New York Heroes were the teams showcased at Wembley. The choice of these two teams came down to TV money. It made plenty of sense to have two teams representing the biggest TV markets in the US playing in front of the biggest TV market in England. The game would not disappoint, as the Jags got the best of the Heroes in a high scoring 42 to 36 affair.

The BosDome
300 A Street
Boston, MA
05_Boston-Dome.jpg

New home to the Unicorns (UDA) and Patriots (NFL).
Opens August 1970.
boston65_low.jpg

The first team logo from the Davidson/Murphy rebel league has been leaked to the press...

fnfrTkp.png

The Anaheim 55ers, representing Southern California.

And we have a Disney connection!

I presume this league is just going to change sports history, not political or other cultural, correct?

My proposal for the new league alignment.
(EDIT: Had forgotten the Heroes played in Brooklyn already)

EAST

Birmingham Magicians
Indianapolis Checkers
Long Island Sounders
Memphis Hound Dogs

WEST
Anaheim 55ers
Phoenix Gila Monsters
Portland Loggers
San Antonio Defenders

Last edited:
The New York Emperors, the third rebel league franchise to be granted:
W8c61gY.png

The Emperors have the choice of either Yankee Stadium
C5R6cPPUMAA0yh9.jpg

Or Downing Stadium on Randall's Island as their home venue.
f_downing-stadium.jpg

The New York Emperors, the third rebel league franchise to be granted:
W8c61gY.png

The Emperors have the choice of either Yankee Stadium
C5R6cPPUMAA0yh9.jpg

Or Downing Stadium on Randall's Island as their home venue.
f_downing-stadium.jpg
I want to wear that jersey and I want the logo as my desktop wallpaper. XD

Also, I doubt the Yankees would let a rebel league play in Yankee Stadium. Downing Stadium might be a better choice but it is an older stadium. Either way, I found my team to support in this new league.

When the World Football League started in 1974, the New York team's only option was Dowling Stadium. It was out of the way and difficult to get to and it contributed to the team moving mid-season south to Charlotte.