Magic's Second Chance

Prologue
28342h_lg.jpeg

Magic Johnson had everything going for himself. A five time NBA finals champion with the Lakers, three time league MVP, and always picked to the all NBA first team, he had the world in his hands. Then, it happened.

In a preseason physical in 1991, Johnson tested positive for HIV. The NBA community was stunned at this discovery. No one expected a straight black man to have AIDS. It was seen as a gay white man's disease. Johnson stated that he had been very sexually active over the years and believed that's what could've led to it. His wife, Cookie, who was pregnant, was tested as well but was tested negative. While he got support from some of his fellow athletes, many were scared of him. They feared that if they were around him, they would contract HIV as well. Magic was worried that he was about to be blacklisted from the league.

Chapter 1, Part 1: The Bad News
CyrwRCnUsAAaUy4.jpg

MAGIC JOHNSON RELEASED FROM LAKERS

(OCTOBER 5, 1991): Star point guard Earvin "Magic" Johnson was released from the Los Angeles Lakers this morning. Team GM Jerry West called Johnson this morning and told him he was a free agent and was no longer a Laker. Johnson had just revealed that he is positive for HIV. There is reason to believe that he was let go due to his teammates not wanting to contract AIDS. Johnson has not made any comments at this time.

Chapter 1, Part 2: The Press Conference
abc_magic_hiv_121101_wg.jpg

A few days after being released from the Lakers, Magic Johnson held a press conference. He was asked about his diagnosis and what his future would be like. Johnson was quoted as saying,
I intend to keep playing in the NBA. I don't want my disease to define me. There's no reason to be scared of me. I know that there is some team that wants me to play for them. This is not the end for me. I will remain a free agent for as long as possible.

Johnson was also asked if he thought the league was actively blacklisting him because players didn't want to be around him.
I don't think so. If they are, shame on them and I'll sue. I know I won't let HIV get the best of me, and I'll return. I just don't know who it will be with.

Chapter 2, Part 1: The Call that Changes Everything
Motorola-MicroTac-Classic1.jpg

Magic was getting worried. It was almost midseason and he still hadn't been picked up by a team. He thought that the league really was blacklisting him and didn't want him and his AIDS around other players. Johnson's chances of returning seemed to grow thinner day by day. He decided if he wasn't signed by the end of the month, he would call it quits. The end of the month was creeping closer and closer. Magic was beginning to plan his press conference to announce his retirement. Then, he got the call he wanted. A team wanted to sign him. A team believed in him. They knew he wasn't going to let AIDS force him into retirement. The news of Johnson's signing would make news shortly.

WRITERS NOTE: In my NASCAR timeline I butterflied Tim Richmond's AIDS. Now I'm thinking of bringing it back. Magic can inspire other athletes to battle their diagnosis the best they can and still compete.

Obviously, with his wealth and social status Magic will get medication a la OTL (it's been almost 30 years since his diagnosis now, and of course he's still healthy, though he's terribly miscast as a basketball GM).

I'm curious as to what team took a chance on him now.

Chapter 3, Part 1: Magic's Debut
Two days after the all star game, in which Magic had won the game's MVP, he made his first start against the Pacers. Johnson was a starter in the game and had an alright night. In the 27 minutes he played, which was most of the first quarter, half of the second, none of the third, and nine of the fourth, he only managed to score 8 points, 3 field goals, 9 FGA's, and 2 free throws. In the end, the Magic lost by two points, 100-98.

Chapter 3, Part 2: Season's End
The 1991-92 season came to an early end as the Magic didn't make the playoffs with a 21-61 record, the worst in the league. For Magic, it had been a long season, but he was happy to finish it on a team. Even though the season ended early, Magic still had something to look forward to; for the first time ever, the International Olympic Committee allowed professionalism in the Olympics. USA Basketball put together together an all-star squad to compete in Barcelona. Magic was actually selected in the wake of his HIV announcement and surprisingly wasn't dropped.

Last edited: