Operation Sea Lion (1974 Sandhurst Wargame)

That will inevitably happen if both sides are throwing around artillery and air support.

On a battlefield, stuff dies.
Never said they would “forget”, your words!

Yes, I sure someone will enter a mortar kill zone, and drag 200kg of beef down to the local creek.

Remember it was the Germans that invented to 20l jerry can for transporting water and fuel.

The piece on Sicily, ...
125t of rations, water and eng stores.
That is one barge.

i would suspect the cows would walk to the creek and then be dispatched under rule 303.War is hell.

I've always wondered what the German soldiers were supposed to drink. Just that one thing. Supplying eighty thousand soldiers trapped on a beach in the south of England with water would have been a major undertaking. Three litres of water times eighty thousand equals almost half a million kilograms of water every day, if my maths are correct. Perhaps not on the first day. On top of food and ammunition. They could have tried sourcing it from local supplies but even that wouldn't have been easy.

I realise I'm quoting myself, but I pondered the water situation in post number two, way back on page one of this thread. I've always assumed that the Germans would manage to get at least some soldiers across, in the first wave, and perhaps some more in the second. I don't know how they would conduct a blitzkrieg with only a handful of light tanks and some pack artillery. How many gallons of petrol does a Panzer II use in a day's fighting? How many tonnes of shells would a German howitzer fire in a day? All of that equipment has to be ferried across the Channel, and every tonne of ammunition is a tonne less water; every tonne of water is a tonne fewer artillery shells.

In 1944 we managed to get tens of thousands of well-supplied troops across the channel with tanks and total air superiority, but even with help from our American chums we failed to take Caen on the first day and bogged down thereafter. In 1940 the Germans, going the other way, would have been in a worse position. It doesn't matter if the individual fighting German circa 1940 was superhuman, there's only so far a man can dash from cover to cover without water before he collapses.

Each soldier would presumably carry his daily rations with him and perhaps a water bladder, but just that one issue alone would kill the invasion. Every well between London and Dover would have been blown up, or filled in with mustard gas. Even if we didn't implement a scorched-earth policy, I imagine that supplying tens of thousands of soldiers with water in peacetime conditions as part of an exercise is difficult. Under artillery fire it would have been even worse.

Furthermore I remember reading about a tank that we developed. The Covenanter. It was awful! The cooling system didn't work and the engine was overloaded, so it tended to overheat. We built over a thousand but didn't send any abroad because it was no good and would have been useless in the desert. Production began in 1940. I don't know how many were built by mid-1940 but I bet someone here has the figures. They wouldn't have had to drive very far to stem the German advance, and all we had to do was slow them down until they surrendered. On top of which we probably had lots of WW1 artillery pieces and armoured cars etc. Just one tank parked at a strategic river crossing would have played havoc with the German advance, and they didn't have time to spare.

hipper

Banned
So... not accurate, then?

Clearly some professional jargon at work here just sailed over my head.

Accuracy is putting your shell close enough to its target so it might hit. actually hitting is a matter of statistics, or luck if you prefer.

Glenn, for the sake of everyone else in this thread. Give up on Sealion with some degree of grace and find something new to argue about.

What mine fields? the KM had 2 actual mine layers and a few converted boats that could in lay mines. The British had how many mine sweepers? Not mention KM minelayers won't last long on the channel.
The Luftwaffe can drop mines at night. I'm sure that after 10 sorties each day, they are just warmed up for another 10 at night.

I realise I'm quoting myself, but I pondered the water situation in post number two, way back on page one of this thread. I've always assumed that the Germans would manage to get at least some soldiers across, in the first wave, and perhaps some more in the second. I don't know how they would conduct a blitzkrieg with only a handful of light tanks and some pack artillery. How many gallons of petrol does a Panzer II use in a day's fighting? How many tonnes of shells would a German howitzer fire in a day? All of that equipment has to be ferried across the Channel, and every tonne of ammunition is a tonne less water; every tonne of water is a tonne fewer artillery shells.

In 1944 we managed to get tens of thousands of well-supplied troops across the channel with tanks and total air superiority, but even with help from our American chums we failed to take Caen on the first day and bogged down thereafter. In 1940 the Germans, going the other way, would have been in a worse position. It doesn't matter if the individual fighting German circa 1940 was superhuman, there's only so far a man can dash from cover to cover without water before he collapses.

Each soldier would presumably carry his daily rations with him and perhaps a water bladder, but just that one issue alone would kill the invasion. Every well between London and Dover would have been blown up, or filled in with mustard gas. Even if we didn't implement a scorched-earth policy, I imagine that supplying tens of thousands of soldiers with water in peacetime conditions as part of an exercise is difficult. Under artillery fire it would have been even worse.

Furthermore I remember reading about a tank that we developed. The Covenanter. It was awful! The cooling system didn't work and the engine was overloaded, so it tended to overheat. We built over a thousand but didn't send any abroad because it was no good and would have been useless in the desert. Production began in 1940. I don't know how many were built by mid-1940 but I bet someone here has the figures. They wouldn't have had to drive very far to stem the German advance, and all we had to do was slow them down until they surrendered. On top of which we probably had lots of WW1 artillery pieces and armoured cars etc. Just one tank parked at a strategic river crossing would have played havoc with the German advance, and they didn't have time to spare.

Pretty much, the British Army doesn't have to win. It just has to not lose.

And that is very easy to accomplish against less then 90,000 under supplied, under equipped, starving and dying of thirst light infantry. All they need to do is go get a few school teachers who speak German, or better yet some immigrants, set up a giant loudspeaker, and blast testimony 24/7 towards the German Pockets, about how if they give up they'll get food and water, and Herr Hitler doesn't care about their fates etc etc.

hipper

Banned
Thanks.

So it's a question of accuracy versus precision, then.

I believe its more like the limits of accuracy which varied on the gun i believe the RN 15” would drop into a 250 yard circle, other guns had different levels of accuracy. the whole subject is a bit of a Tar Baby though.

Last edited:
In the Atlantic, the British are watching the Twins and Bismarck run rampant because the Admiralty thought it would be a good idea to commit the KGV's and BC's to the Channel.

The Twins are broken in Sept 1940

Bismarck is not ready for war until March 41 at the very earliest

Soooo nope.

But there's a book on the Tirpitz which claims:

The photos in this book are taken from an unpublished album belonged to a member of the crew of famous German Battleship Tirpitz. It is a little known fact that before the start of World War Two the ship went on a shakedown voyage into the Atlantic, travelling north into Arctic waters and south into the more tropical climbs of the Caribbean.

:rolleyes:

@soothsayer : Without going to the references I can't be sure whether the Germans used chloride or iodine or both - it does not matter my point was either one (US purification tablets were iodine based) you need to do something to disinfect the water. Likewise, using hexamine stoves, or kettles over wood fires is not relevant just boiling the water. Finally against norovirus, and other viruses, alcohol based sanitizers are to be used in addition to (not in place of) hand washing per the CDC. Again, my point was that while now the sanitizers can be readily carried and used, even if not as good as hot water and a soap scrub they are portable and much better than nothing.

Absent provision for disinfecting water (or providing water delivered from France), adequate supplies for handwashing etc you WILL end up very quickly with soldiers who are dehydrated and/or with rather nasty diarrhea and ineffective or completely out of the fight. BTW if you have nasty diarrhea, you will become even more dehydrated - the dehydration of cholera ("rice water stools") and depletion of electrolytes is what does you in. Not that the Germans will get cholera in England, just pointing out that there is more to that problem than running to shit every 15-30 minutes.

So the troops have disinfectants and like all soldiers (especially in water limited environment), know to wash their hands.

Troops are still getting gastro, even in the Falklands. Troops in PNG in 42-43 cut the arse out of their pants to save time and mess. They just had to do the job.

“Exposure to the cold weather was a problem for all troops in the Falklands and the boggy and rugged terrain also caused multiple cases of Trench foot
and endemic mild diarrhoea from drinking the water.”

“Within the facility, two British army and two Navy surgical teams worked side by side. The lighting was deemed inadequate, and there was no sterile water, no autoclave, no diathermy machine, and a limited supply of linen. Gloves were worn but not often changed from one operation to the next.”

https://jmvh.org/article/logistics-in-the-falklands-war/

We should thank Cholera for its place in starting IV therapy.

The Germans had seperate water and fuel jerry cans. Water marked with a white cross. Which WW2 island assault did the Corps use jerry cans for fuel and then fill them with water, which the troops couldn’t / wouldn’t drink, and went short?

Last edited:

TDM

Kicked
The Twins are broken in Sept 1940

Soooo nope.

Good point, but apparently the soviets are invading Iran and Malta has fallen so who knows (I think we'll find Glen's slipped into one of his atl-not-atl's)!

Good point, but apparently the soviets are invading Iran and Malta has fallen so who knows (I think we'll find Glen's slipped into one of his atl-not-atl's)!

If Maltas fallen, at best it and its coastline is littered with dead Fallschirmjagers - so they cannot take part!

As for the rest....now totally convinced beyond a memory of a shadow of a doubt that its weapon grade trolling.

Pretty much, the British Army doesn't have to win. It just has to not lose.

And that is very easy to accomplish against less then 90,000 under supplied, under equipped, starving and dying of thirst light infantry. All they need to do is go get a few school teachers who speak German, or better yet some immigrants, set up a giant loudspeaker, and blast testimony 24/7 towards the German Pockets, about how if they give up they'll get food and water, and Herr Hitler doesn't care about their fates etc etc.

That worked well for the Soviets with 6th Army. Took two months, no supplies, guys staved to death, froze to death, but sounds a plan

Last edited: