Alternate "Cradles of Civilization"

If the Eastern woodland natives managed to congratulate both moose and WTD, then North America could become the continent of cervids where they fulfill most of the same roles that bovines do in the Old World.

Well, they'd also have caribou from the subarctic, and at Mayapan there was something with white-tailed deer, so perhaps there's something to that.

I said that it's an interesting theory, as I found it so when I studied it at university, not the Bible. In some cases it works, in others not. Maybe we could say that, if not Carneiro-type places developed an organized civilty, all organized civilities developed in a Carneiro-type places?

I had professors in college who would present ideas like that, and I'd often be one of the students who would discuss counter-arguments in class. Any theory making such sweeping statements is bound to have exceptions.

It's harsh land, but with mesquites, salt-tolerant crops as noted above, and domesticated mountain goats (or bighorn sheep, but mountain goats seem to have more suitable social structures for human domestication), it could be like Mesopotamia or West Africa. Complex civilisation can survive given these conditions.

One bit disadvantage compared to those two: you can irrigate a floodplain and semi-arid flatlands via dykes, ditches, ect. Canyons and moutains not so much, which puts a limit on how much land you can realistically make ariable. Can you pull it off? Sure, but the odds are against you and your cap on urbanization is much lower.

One bit disadvantage compared to those two: you can irrigate a floodplain and semi-arid flatlands via dykes, ditches, ect. Canyons and moutains not so much, which puts a limit on how much land you can realistically make ariable. Can you pull it off? Sure, but the odds are against you and your cap on urbanization is much lower.

My guess is that it wouldn't be so much the Upper Colorado Valley/Grand Canyon area as it would be the Delta and the Salt/Gila system that would see the most development at first.

My guess is that it wouldn't be so much the Upper Colorado Valley/Grand Canyon area as it would be the Delta and the Salt/Gila system that would see the most development at first.

I guess then the question is if that's really a broad enough area to generate a civilization that would qualify as a "cradle".

Steppe Nomads; they'll sweep in and kill anything that starts developing before they can get deep roots. Being able to defend your crops and settlements is just as important as agricultural suitability for settled life