Is Nazi rule worse than colonial conditions?

Is Nazi rule in mainland Europe worse than colonial rule in the Raj, Africa and Southeast Asia?

• Worse than colonialism.

Votes: 297 92.5%
  • Same as colonialism.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Not as bad as colonialism.

Votes: 8 2.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The horrors of colonialism were truly bad, and same goes for Nazi Germany's atrocities in Europe.

But a thought struck me today, is Nazi rule in Europe (mainly focusing on Eastern Europe, namely Poland and the occupied territories of the USSR) "worse" than colonial rule in Africa, Southeast Asia or the Raj? (I think Africa was the worst, but I'm not sure here, could a more knowledged person help with that?)

I don't even know why you are asking that. This should be clear with small checking. Nazis of course were worse. Their only plan for Eastern Europeans was only just nearby total extermination. Europeans were pretty nasty for Africans but rarely genocidal.

I don't even know why you are asking that. This should be clear with small checking. Nazis of course were worse. Their only plan for Eastern Europeans was only just nearby total extermination. Europeans were pretty nasty for Africans but rarely genocidal.

If somehow the Nazi's had managed to establish power from Lisbon to the Urals and say a decade of even a cold peace I believe the death totals would have been in the hundreds of millions.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
They might not be in the running. Look up charts on political murder, or "democide". Both the Chinese Communists, and the Chinese Nationalists! caused bigger mega-murders in China than the Japanese did.View attachment 422776

To whit, CCP have a rap sheet of almost 77 million, KMT have a rap sheet of 11 million, and Japanese have a rap sheet of 6 million (and it seems to be their entire activity through WWI, not just in China alone).

Raw totals, not surprising given the much longer time period, colonialism beats Nazi Germany.
You have a source for these stats?

Nazi rule for the Germanic population would be great so if you were a Germanic, life's good. If you are a Slav or other Untermenschen, though, good luck. You'll need it. Nazi rule for the oppressed groups would be worse than European colonialism (I'll be focusing on Africa) since the Europeans replaced the system that already existed with a better system (might not be as good as what the whites had but it was better than what you had before). The Nazis, however, would have turned your life from normal to being a slave or dead.

Nazi rule for the Germanic population would be great so if you were a Germanic, life's good. If you are a Slav or other Untermenschen, though, good luck. You'll need it. Nazi rule for the oppressed groups would be worse than European colonialism (I'll be focusing on Africa) since the Europeans replaced the system that already existed with a better system (might not be as good as what the whites had but it was better than what you had before). The Nazis, however, would have turned your life from normal to being a slave or dead.

I'd argue that claiming that the systems the Europeans put in place was better is mostly inaccurate.

Colonialism is bad, but as many have likely said the Nazis plan was to wipe out the native populace and repopulate it with Germans. America saw a good bit of that, given its past treatment of natives (not just the US, all throughout the Americas) but didn't make death camps as such.

Colonialism is bad, but as many have likely said the Nazis plan was to wipe out the native populace and repopulate it with Germans. America saw a good bit of that, given its past treatment of natives (not just the US, all throughout the Americas) but didn't make death camps as such.

Didn't plan to intentionally murder hundreds of millions in a decade or two in an organized manner.

As a German myself, it is a unquestionable dogma in German postwar society that NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING was, is and ever will be as bad as Nazism. For if we start making excuses or comparing it to other atrocities we are already halfway on repeating it, and even in Germany no one really wants that.(*)

(*) Which may be another dogma, but one 99% of the population is happy subscribing to.

The Nazis flat out murdered huge numbers of Eastern Europeans. For the most part the colonies were not quite as bad, although the Belgian Congo got close to being as bad.

The Nazis flat out murdered huge numbers of Eastern Europeans. For the most part the colonies were not quite as bad, although the Belgian Congo got close to being as bad.

I think the example of colonialism that comes closest is the Middle Passage and Sugar Island Slavery.

The difference is that most of the atrocities of colonialism tended to be the result of a desire to make money, break a conquered population to prevent rebellion, or neglect.

The colonization of Tasmania took place over decades with the majority of the casualties among the native peoples being the result of unintentional disease. In comparison the Germans managed to kill several million Soviet POW's in a matter of months. 10 percent of the Polish population was murdered in less then six years and that was while fighting a world war. If the Germans had won or at least been left alone in Poland it's reasonably to assume something like 75 percent of the population of the country dies within a decade or so.

In terms of scale and intensity of the extermination there is no real contest.

An FYI and a little bit of IMO, the genocide in Tasmania eclipsed the scale of Nazi Germany because it was successful. 100% successful. It was an entirely different form of 'colonialism' than was carried out on the mainland in that it was a policy of extermination rather than one of retribution or exclusion.

It is under these terms that you can look at the deaths under Mao and Stalin and say that while terrible, it wasn't as bad as Hitler because despite the absolute numbers it was mostly unintentional and mostly indiscriminate. The same can be said when comparing forms of colonialism, Tasmania, though lesser than the Bengal famine in terms of absolute numbers, was worse due to the intended goal of the operation.

I find that there is no one size fits all when comparing these large scale atrocities. it is like the difference between murder and manslaughter, at the end of the day someone is still dead, the determinant is whether it was out of stupidity/negligence or malice.

Nazi rule carried out to it's logical conclusion would've been far worse than anything done in "colonial rule." The only reason the Nazis didn't exterminate hundreds of millions of people is because they ran out of time. In a Nazi victory scenario, on the other hand...yikes.

Both were evil, but not all evils are created equal.

Last edited:
Frankly the question is insulting and also misleading. For one thing what period of colonialism are you talking about? The Early Spanish empire may be closest to the level of genocide the Nazis were planning, but even that was as least partly accidental. The introduction of old world illnesses to the new world did the vast majority of the killing and the Spanish knew very little about how they were spread or how to prevent them spreading. Yes bad things happened in all the empires but to compare that to the Nazis is outrageous.
Sorry if i hadnt made it clear, i meant post 1800 colonialism/New Imperialism era.

I'd argue that claiming that the systems the Europeans put in place was better is mostly inaccurate.
During European colonization, the life expectancy in Africa rose. For the rest of the world I'm not saying whether or not colonialism was beneficial since I'm not knowledgeable enough. For Africa, however, I know that the system the Europeans established was infact more peaceful than the tribal system that existed over much of the continent. This is due to the Europeans stopping quiet a lot of tribal warfare.

Anyways though, I don't want to even risk being kicked so I'll be leaving this discussion.

Once the Jews, gipsies, etc were killed. I doubt the mass killing would continue although troublemakers would be killed this would be much less. I am not aware of any plans to kill off Eastern Europeans as such. They were to be slaves of the master race.

I suspect that the post-Stalin regime before the collapse of the USSR would be a model.

Once the Jews, gipsies, etc were killed. I doubt the mass killing would continue although troublemakers would be killed this would be much less. I am not aware of any plans to kill off Eastern Europeans as such. They were to be slaves of the master race.

I suspect that the post-Stalin regime before the collapse of the USSR would be a model.

General Plan Ost says otherwise. The centerpiece of Nazi occupation of the East was genocide of Slavs.

They might not be in the running. Look up charts on political murder, or "democide". Both the Chinese Communists, and the Chinese Nationalists! caused bigger mega-murders in China than the Japanese did.View attachment 422776

To whit, CCP have a rap sheet of almost 77 million, KMT have a rap sheet of 11 million, and Japanese have a rap sheet of 6 million (and it seems to be their entire activity through WWI, not just in China alone).

Raw totals, not surprising given the much longer time period, colonialism beats Nazi Germany.
The chart itself refers to the years 1936-1945 for Japan, so not sure where the 'entire activity through WWI' is coming from. Plus, that 6 million figure was over 9 years, compared to the 20 years of the KMT and 40 years of CCP. Besides, the KMT and CCP both had to deal with other wars, internal conflicts, and the ravages of war, with the CCP suffering from incompetent leadership that helped facilitate famine (unintentionally) and general purges, over the entirety of China. They did not, however, intend on just indiscriminately killing off their population with biological and chemical warfare and mass brutality the way the Japanese did in the 1930s-40s in their invasion (which didn't encompass all of China). This is not to excuse the blatant human rights violations and mass killings by the KMT and CCP but rather to dispute the notion that the Japanese imperial regime was any more benign than the homegrown Chinese governments. The KMT wasn't dropping plague on their own cities or vivisecting its own citizens at any point, for one.

That said, the Japanese weren't exterminating entire ethnic groups and didn't having plans to clear out land for their own settlement.

You are completely and utterly wrong. The Holocaust of OTL was only the beginning. The Nazis planned to murder the VAST majority of the population of Eastern Europe, to the extent of removing evidence of cities, flooding Leningrad, etc. The few kept alive would have been slaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.