Realignment: Trump's New Order

If it involves a current president it generally counts as current politics,even if it's trump in 1920s germany in ASB board.

I think that you are overpretending no current politics rule. Surely it not be problem if POD is some decades ago. If it would be you couldn't for example write any TL whre is Putin, Obama or someone else current or previous president/prime minister/chancellor. It would be different thing if this TL would be Trump's running in 2012.

Quick update, everyone!

BUSH LAUNCHES PRIMARY CAMPAIGN

Incumbent vice-president George Bush has entered the Republican primaries, promising to build on the economic legacy of outgoing president Ronald Reagan. Speaking in Texas, Mr Bush reiterated his goal of "prosperity with a purpose" for those left behind by the growth record of the Reagan era. He also laughed off news of businessman Donald Trump’s candidacy and rallied the faithful in the opening shots of what will be a tightly fought primary season.

- Washington Post, 14 January 1988​

DOLE EXITS REPUBLICAN RACE

Bob Dole surprised pundits on Monday, announcing his withdrawal from the Republican presidential contest. He refused to be drawn into reasons behind his shock departure, mentioning only "private factors" at the short press conference. Two of his staff have moved over to Trump HQ in New York but Mr Dole held back from endorsing a candidate. Eyes will now turn to next week’s televised debate.

- New York Times, 25 January 1988​

REPUBLICAN PRIMARY DEBATE
- New Hampshire, 2 February 1988

Excerpt on the economy -

Pat Robertson: You hear talk of progress. Our cities are growing and business is doing well. My problem's the level of wasteful spending, and you know where it’s coming from? The federal government. I’d scrap the education and energy departments, to really roll back the state out of people’s lives. My top priority is getting an amendment to the constitution, so we can have a balanced budget in the good times and the bad.

Chair: Alright, over to George Bush.

Bush: Thank you for being here tonight. My vision is for the proceeds of economic prosperity to reach every corner of our land, every company and farm, to every home and every family. I want to build on what we’ve achieved in the last seven years, so that nobody misses the chance to realize their potential. The voters can put their faith in my experience and my resolve to keep us growing.

Chair: Next to speak is Donald Trump.

Trump: Cheers. I have a plan to invest in jobs and rebuild our infrastructure. I’ve been running business for years, so I know what America needs. From day one, I will spend on government works and get people into jobs, because jobs really are the best way to deal with poverty in this country. Right now, our companies are getting ripped off and it’s everyday Americans who are suffering. No politician has the skills to put this right and win a better deal for ordinary people. I do.

Excerpt on foreign policy -

Bush: Well, I’m glad we can talk about this because I have a concern. The world is changing around us. It demands know-how and the vision to take us forward. Now, I’ve been in high-level talks. Donald Trump has never ran for office: we mustn't take the risk of putting the fate of an uncertain world in the hands of an amateur. Moscow will walk all over us.

Trump: I’m sorry but this is totally false. I understand the art of the deal. We’ve got to be tough in our negotiations but obviously, we need to reach a deal. You don’t make progress by hiding away from reality. Vice-president Bush has shirked his responsibility for Iran-Contra, the whole messy affair. He's culpable. And to tell you the truth, the whole political establishment is.

Bush: There’s nothing to hide. I’ve settled this in my previous remarks.

Trump: You haven’t. The American people deserve to know the truth... And I will deal with the situation, I promise you that. The voters want leadership and someone who knows how to put together a solution. George just isn’t up the job.

More to come!

Last edited:

Chapman

Donor
This is definitely shaping up to be something interesting. Dole's exit from the race so soon is a red flag, is he angling for a VP slot? Might not be the best choice for Bush, but for Trump he'd be perfect. Trump's statement of "I will deal with the situation, I promise you that." sounds a lot like a tempered version of "Lock her up!" to me, which could be veeeeery interesting if criticism of Iran-Contra becomes a theme of his campaign.

I've had a few brainwaves. Coming back with this project soon. It's a one-off, but well worth waiting for! :)

Last edited:
Looks interesting. In 88 there were still moderate and even some liberal republicans. Not sure the country would be as willing to elect someone with no experience as the cold war was still happening.

Some would argue this jump off the deep end was caused in part by dementia, which has a history in the Trump family. I personally don't think there is enough evidence to say this is true, but it would be useful to question whether or not Trump's turn to the right was caused by America's changing political climate or his own dark psyche.

Fast forward to an alternate now, where the nation looks on with mixed horror, amusement and shock as moderately successful ex-President Trump's increasingly unhinged tweets and media appearances threaten his legacy and make him a figure of liberal media fun on the one hand, but attracts him a huge internet fanbase with many.... unsavoury elements on the other. Some warn that while this "living meme" is seemingly hilarious, "Crazy Ex-President Trump" is actually doing a lot to validate and legitimise far-right extremism. Most ignore these warnings.