Realignment: Trump's New Order

Hi all,

This is my first timeline, so bear with me! I got the inspiration from recent political events, documentaries and a few what-ifs I found just too tempting to resist.

So without further ado, I bring you:

REALIGNMENT
Trump's New Order

upload_2018-9-13_19-14-13.png

'It looks set to be an eventful year as the 1988 electoral race begins. Against a backdrop of thaw in Moscow and stability at home, both Democrats and Republicans will have an open field to play for the US presidency. Ronald Reagan, nearing the end of his second term, appears confident about the result of his policies: lower tax and inflation, business growth and a string of foreign policy wins, including a firm hand with the Soviet Union. However, controversial elements of his legacy are sure to be challenged in the months ahead.

Mr Reagan’s deputy, George Bush, is poised to enter the Republican primaries in the coming week. Other than his main rival, Bob Dole, few big hitters have yet expressed an interest in the Republican contest. On the Democratic side, Gary Hart, Dick Gephardt and Jesse Jackson are likely to declare.

In the town hall and the street, many Americans are unhappy with the established political choices on offer. Rumors have swirled in recent days of Donald Trump, canny real-estate tycoon, hoping to fill this space. Mr Trump is busy with projects in New York, but has declined to silence the whispers of a bold, wildcard push for the White House.

Only one thing is for certain this year: all bets are off in the build-up to this historic presidential election
.'

- New York Times, 11 January 1988​

His campaign began like no other.

Devoted wife Ivana by his side, the candidate stepped up to the lectern. A moment was spent to collect the words that would rewrite history.

'Hello and welcome. I will cut to the chase. The United States, this great country, needs a strong CEO at the helm in this new age. It’s therefore my intention to run for the presidency, on the Republican ticket. I know what it takes. And folks, it’s gonna be tough. President Reagan has done many great things and I will go further. We need to set our sights high.

First, I will deliver growth for our economy and bring jobs back to our workers from abroad. It’s a scandal, a real scandal… the American people are losing out in the global race. I will build highways, bridges, public works to get us growing. From left to right, the same old faces in Washington are failing to protect our jobs, our trade… We need to fix the trade problem and I will. I’m a deal-maker, it’s what I do. So, we’ll rebuild America and win fair trade with our rivals.

Now I’m a family man. I know how important it is for millions of people that we give them a hand up, not a handout. So important. And the tax system is broke. So, I’ll make it simple and put the family at the heart of everything we do.

I want to secure a bright future for our homeland. To legal migrants: we will back you. Together, we can revive the American Dream. On illegal aliens, I will be tough. No longer will the United States sit back and watch her borders crumble. It’s time for action. We’ll build a wall on the border with Mexico. No more drug gangs. Zero tolerance. It’s time to put America first.

I know how to get things done, I’m a people person… if we work together, we can deliver welfare reform, so that work always pays. This is a big deal for so many families up and down the country. And together, we can rebuild our schools, so our kids get the best education in the world. We'll give parents real choice and build a generation of proud American citizens. It’s crucial, folks… It will be my mission to get our nation fit for the road ahead.

None of this will be easy. But the answer cannot be a return to the politicians of the past. We’ve come so far in our great nation. With me as your president, let’s think big and make it even greater. Thank you.'

Donald Trump cut across the stage.

His time had come. The real work was about to begin.

Last edited:
Hmm...Trump is the oldest US President, but if he'd been elected in 1988 he'd be one of the youngest. I don't think he could get elected in 1988 since voters were pretty happy with Reagan, unless he can exploit Iran Contra and the stock market crash to his benefit.

Deleted member 96839

Watched. One thing to remember is that Trump would be really toned down here. Go back and watch an interview with him on politics in 1988 and the difference is staggering.

Md139115

Banned
Hmm...Trump is the oldest US President, but if he'd been elected in 1988 he'd be one of the youngest. I don't think he could get elected in 1988 since voters were pretty happy with Reagan, unless he can exploit Iran Contra and the stock market crash to his benefit.

It’s not Reagan that’s running though. It’s Bush, and he has a bit more of Iran-Contra stuck to him than Reagan.

It’s not Reagan that’s running though. It’s Bush, and he has a bit more of Iran-Contra stuck to him than Reagan.

Bush knew about the arms sales, but it was Reagan who ordered his underlings to knowingly violate federal law and orchestrate the plan. He even took public responsibility on TV. In the OTL campaign Bush was able to convince enough people that he was "out of the loop" (not true of course) and contrast himself with Reagan in order to get elected. That worked in OTL, but knowing Trump's ruthless campaign style he would most likely hammer Bush on the scandal and question how he could truly be "out of the loop" if he was VP. He would also come up with some dumb nickname like "Wimpy George" and mock Dole's war injuries while lampooning Pat Robertson as a nutball.

IMO, the main problem for Papa Bush vs. anybody but a complete clown like Dukakis is personality: he had all personal attractiveness of a dried fish and in the televised debates this is a killer. Anybody who looked as a normal human being capable to connect with the people could defeat him.

Nephi

Banned
Wouldn't 1988 Trump be a Democrat? He was until I think 2012 or so. Still watching this just, minor nitpicking.

Wouldn't 1988 Trump be a Democrat? He was until I think 2012 or so. Still watching this just, minor nitpicking.
He was a moderate/liberal Republican in the '80s and IRC most of the '90's and then dabbled in reform party politics in the late 90s into 2000. It wasn't until after George W. Bush was first elected that Trump became a Democrat.

Chapman

Donor

Registered Republican in 1987, but when he put out some ads in newspapers that outlined a number of policy positions, the Democrats did court him to some extent. He went back to the Dems in the early 2000s I think? And then kinda went off the rails about Obama (in case you missed it) and wound up back in the GOP.

Last edited:
Registered Republican in 1987, but when he put out some ads in newspapers that outlined a number of policy positions, the Democrats did cort him to some extent. He went back to the Dems in the early 2000s I think? And then kinda went off the rails about Obama (in case you missed it) and wound up back in the GOP.

Some would argue this jump off the deep end was caused in part by dementia, which has a history in the Trump family. I personally don't think there is enough evidence to say this is true, but it would be useful to question whether or not Trump's turn to the right was caused by America's changing political climate or his own dark psyche.

Chapman

Donor
Some would argue this jump off the deep end was caused in part by dementia, which has a history in the Trump family. I personally don't think there is enough evidence to say this is true, but it would be useful to question whether or not Trump's turn to the right was caused by America's changing political climate or his own dark psyche.

91A746A2-9F32-48BE-9633-646BFC73BEB9.gif

Note: This counts as current politics, please ask a mod to move this to the chat board.

How anything which POD is thirty years ago can be current politics? World of 2018 would be there completely different from outs 2018. That it involves current POTUS not make TL yet current politics. This is not even first TL where is president Trump.

Well at least this Trump likely doesn't have dementia yet. But apparently based on various leaks from advisers, he has been holding some of his bat shit ideas for a while. Like Trade is a zero sum game.

How anything which POD is thirty years ago can be current politics? World of 2018 would be there completely different from outs 2018. That it involves current POTUS not make TL yet current politics. This is not even first TL where is president Trump.
If it involves a current president it generally counts as current politics,even if it's trump in 1920s germany in ASB board.

Chapman

Donor
If it involves a current president it generally counts as current politics,even if it's trump in 1920s germany in ASB board.

There's an argument to be made there, but I don't know if it necessarily HAS to go in chat. I'd defer to the judgement of the mods, but unless it devolves to bickering about modern politics, I don't see a reason it can't be here.