Alternate Electoral Maps II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another link: https://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/File...lection_results_by_county,_2016_(altered).png.

Click on the "Full Resolution" link to get the full map. There are various map sizes under the image as well.
Ok so, looking at it, I guess that the only CDs that would vote for the GOP candidate are:
CA-42
ID-02
NE-02
KS-03
LA-03
LA-01
MS-01
MS-03
MS-04
AL-01
AL-02
AL-03
AL-05
AL-06
TN-01
TN-02
TN-03
FL-01
FL-04
FL-08
FL-17
FL-18
FL-19
GA-07
SC-02
SC-04
IL-06
IL-14
IN-05
NC-13
VA-05
VA-07
AZ-04
AZ-05
AZ-07
AZ-08
UT-02

Ok so, looking at it, I guess that the only CDs that would vote for the GOP candidate are:
CA-42
ID-02
NE-02
KS-03
LA-03
LA-01
MS-01
MS-03
MS-04
AL-01
AL-02
AL-03
AL-05
AL-06
TN-01
TN-02
TN-03
FL-01
FL-04
FL-08
FL-17
FL-18
FL-19
GA-07
SC-02
SC-04
IL-06
IL-14
IN-05
NC-13
VA-05
VA-07
AZ-04
AZ-05
AZ-07
AZ-08
UT-02
This seems like a reasonable list, though I have a few thoughts. One, I assume you mean NE-03 rather then NE-02, as the Republican district in Nebraska. And what leads you to surmise that IL-06 and IL-14 would go Republican? Every county in the state of Illinois is carried by Rutherford. I used a map of what the state would have looked like if all of the Perot + Clinton votes had been combined in 1992. Bush didn't receive a majority in any Illinois congressional district that he carried that year, if I am not mistaken.

This seems like a reasonable list, though I have a few thoughts. One, I assume you mean NE-03 rather then NE-02, as the Republican district in Nebraska. And what leads you to surmise that IL-06 and IL-14 would go Republican? Every county in the state of Illinois is carried by Rutherford. I used a map of what the state would have looked like if all of the Perot + Clinton votes had been combined in 1992. Bush didn't receive a majority in any Illinois congressional district that he carried that year, if I am not mistaken.
I meant the very rural seat covering most of NE.
I was thinking that IL-06 and IL-14 have concentrations of demographics that vote for Leach, allowing him to win both CDs, even as Rutherford does very well in IL-08, IL-10, and IL-11.

I meant the very rural seat covering most of NE.
I was thinking that IL-06 and IL-14 have concentrations of demographics that vote for Leach, allowing him to win both CDs, even as Rutherford does very well in IL-08, IL-10, and IL-11.
What kinds of demographics were you thinking of? Is it possible that those two districts go for Leach, even though the counties in which they are in (the collar counties next to Chicago) all go Democratic? Rutherford wins McHenry, Kendall, and DuPage Counties by single-digit margins.

Last edited:
What kinds of demographics were you thinking of? It is possible that those two districts go for Leach, even though the counties in which they are in (the collar counties next to Chicago) all go Democratic? Rutherford wins McHenry, Kendall, and DuPage Counties by single-digit margins.
I think there is a urban-suburban vs exurban divide in the election - and Rutherford's vote is sufficiently concentrated in the OTL Democratic gerrymander that Leach eeks out wins in the those two seats. Leach does well enough in exurbs to narrowly win those two CDs.

I think there is a urban-suburban vs exurban divide in the election - and Rutherford's vote is sufficiently concentrated in the OTL Democratic gerrymander that Leach eeks out wins in the those two seats. Leach does well enough in exurbs to narrowly win those two CDs.
I see. That makes sense. There were a few other districts on your list that I wanted to make sure of as well. You listed AZ-07, which is the central Phoenix district represented by Democrat Ruben Gallego. Hillary Clinton won that district, and Maricopa County is about as close here (~4 points) as it was in 2016. So that district would definitely be Democratic here. I think you meant to list AZ-06 (David Scheweikert's district), which is a Republican district and was carried by Trump. That district would go for Leach. In Florida, you listed FL-18 (Brian Mast's district). Trump won it in OTL, but here, Rutherford wins St. Lucie County by four points. Palm Beach County (which the district spills over into) is won by Rutherford by about the same margin that H. Clinton won it, while Martin County gives Leach ~58%, about four points less then Trump won it by. Do you think these numbers would be sufficient for a Democratic victory in this district?

I think I understand why you give Leach KS-03, since he wins Johnson County with an absolute majority, in contrast to Trump. In Louisiana, you list LA-03 (Clay Higgins's district) as a Leach win. I used John Bell Edwards's victory map from 2015 for Louisiana, and according to calculations done on Atlas by Miles, Edwards won every district except for LA-01 (Steve Scalise's district). Finally, you forgot to list OK-01 (formerly Jim Bridenstine's district), which includes Tulsa, Washington, and Wagoner Counties. Tulsa and Washington are won by Leach, so I'm fairly certain that he wins that district.

Last edited:
I see. That makes sense. There were a few other districts on your list that I wanted to make sure of as well. You listed AZ-07, which is the central Phoenix district represented by Democrat Ruben Gallego. Hillary Clinton won that district, and Maricopa County is about as close here (~4 points) as it was in 2016. So that district would definitely be Democratic here. I think you meant to list AZ-06 (David Scheweikert's district), which is a Republican district and was carried by Trump.
Yep, oversight on my part.
In Florida, you listed FL-18 (Brian Mast's district). Trump won it in OTL, but here, Rutherford wins St. Lucie County by four points. Palm Beach County (which the district spills over into) is won by Rutherford by about the same margin that H. Clinton won it, while Martin County gives Leach ~58%, about four points less then Trump won it by. Do you think these numbers would be sufficient for a Democratic victory in this district?
I think the parts of Palm Beach County within FL-18 would lean towards Leach but not by enough to give him the seat. It would presumably be a very close result.
Tulsa and Washington are won by Leach, so I'm fairly certain that he wins that district.
Yeah. It's still possible if Tulsa is 51-49 Leach, and the rest of the seat votes against him by a strong enough margin, but that's not really likely, is it?

In Louisiana, you list LA-03 (Clay Higgin's district) as a Leach win. I used John Bell Edwards's victory map from 2015 for Louisiana, and according to calculations done on Atlas by Miles, Edwards won every district except for LA-01 (Steve Scalise's district).
Most of the counties in LA-03 voted for Leach, including Lafayette, home to the biggest city in the seat. I doubt Leach's loss margin in Lake Charles is big enough to account for that.

Yep, oversight on my part.

I think the parts of Palm Beach County within FL-18 would lean towards Leach but not by enough to give him the seat. It would presumably be a very close result.

Yeah. It's still possible if Tulsa is 51-49 Leach, and the rest of the seat votes against him by a strong enough margin, but that's not really likely, is it?

Tulsa County goes about 55-45% Leach, and Leach wins Washington County something like 59-41%, while Rutherford carries Wagoner 58-42%. Thus, OK-01 would be a definite Leach victory.

Most of the counties in LA-03 voted for Leach, including Lafayette, home to the biggest city in the seat. I doubt Leach's loss margin in Lake Charles is big enough to account for that.

LA-03 was a very close result for Edwards (If I recall correctly, he won it something like 51-49%). Edwards won Calcasieu Parish (Lake Charles) 59-41%, while David Vitter won Lafayette Parish (Lafayette) 52-48%. I used the exact same results for here.

LA-03 was a very close result for Edwards (If I recall correctly, he won it something like 51-49%). Edwards won Calcasieu Parish (Lake Charles) 59-41%, while David Vitter won Lafayette Parish (Lafayette) 52-48%. I used the exact same results for here.
If you completely duplicated the results of the 2015 gubernatorial election in LA-03, then yes it votes for Rutherford.

If you completely duplicated the results of the 2015 gubernatorial election in LA-03, then yes it votes for Rutherford.
Alright then. I agree with all of your other district options, which are very much in line with what I projected. Indiana, in particular, fascinates me. IN-05 includes Hamilton County, which gives over 60% of the vote to Leach. Hamilton casts the majority of votes in that district, and the rural counties wouldn't be enough to outweigh it, so it seems obvious to me that it would go to Leach. Todd Rokita (who I have as Leach's running mate in this scenario) represents IN-04, and I reckoned that it would go narrowly Democratic, given that Rutherford carries Tippecanoe County and Montgomery County, which contains Lafayette and Crawfordsville, enough to outweigh the areas in the western Indianapolis suburbs. And there would be no doubts about the states of the Northeast, or the others in the Midwest and West.

I've produced a map of the congressional district results, and I will post it here once I've finished making the revisions, based upon your list.

Last edited:
Here is the map of the election results by congressional district in the Rutherford-Leach Scenario of 2016, after the revisions made following consultation with TimTurner. By my count, Rutherford wins 400 congressional districts and Leach 35. Leach, interestingly enough, wins fewer districts then Barry Goldwater (60) or George McGovern (57), which makes sense given that he loses by a wider margin then either of them (62-37% as compared to 61-39% or 61-38%). Leach wins five districts in Alabama and Florida each, four in his home state of Arizona, three each in Tennessee and Mississippi, two each in Illinois and Virginia, and one each in California, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Utah.

https://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/File...lts_by_congressional_district_(new),_2016.png.
Also here if you cannot see it:​

Last edited:
Leach, interestingly enough, wins fewer districts then Barry Goldwater (60) or George McGovern (57), which makes sense given that he loses by a wider margin then either of them (62-37% as compared to 61-38% or 60-38%).
The bigger factor isn't the margin actually...it's the distribution of votes. Case in point - Florida.

The next installment in my bizarre AIPverse. Part 1 found here. Part 2 found here. List of Presidents found here.

Wayne LaPierre / Newt Gingrich (American Independent) - 331 EVs
Malcolm Lucas / John Warner (Republican) - 207 EVs
Saul N. Ramirez / Charlene Jarvis (Popular Front)

1996.PNG

Norman Schwarzkopf / Bill Richardson (Republican) - 412 EVs
Wayne LaPierre / Tommy Armstrong (American Independent) - 118 EVs
H. Pua Ishibashi Jr. / Helen Hernandez (Popular Front) - 4 EVs
Bob Smith / Rudy Giuliani (write-in) - 4 EVs

2000.PNG

Norman Schwarzkopf / Bill Richardson (Republican) - 486 EVs
Dan Quayle / Hal Rogers (American Independent) - 45 EVs
Kathleen Brown / Michael Brown (Popular Front) - 7 EVs

2008.PNG

The bigger factor isn't the margin actually...it's the distribution of votes. Case in point - Florida.
You're right. I made some minor edits to the post, realizing that Leach actually won five districts each in Alabama and in Florida. Florida goes Democratic here by a margin of 56-43%, which is about the same margin as in Louisiana, Indiana, Arkansas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Wyoming, on this map. And yet, Rutherford wins all but one district in Louisiana, Indiana, and North Carolina, all but two in Virginia, and sweeps both Wyoming (obviously) and Arkansas. Yet there are five Leach districts in Florida. And you made a good case as to why Leach would win those two districts in Illinois. So distribution of votes definitely does matter.

I have some other questions for you. I've made a rough table of what the vote by demographic would look like (https://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/Unit...ternate_Version)#Results_by_demographic_group), but I'm somewhat unsure. What do you think the demographic coalitions would look like here? I was envisioning this map to be in an alternate timeline in which the New Deal Coalition survives, in a modified form, into the modern day, and the Republicans have somewhat of an Eisenhower-Rockefeller-Nixon-Ford type coalition of rural, exurban, suburban, and some urban voters built up. Would this map reflect that? What would the vote by demographic look like? I surmised that Rutherford wins ~55% of whites, ~94% of blacks, ~72% of Hispanics, ~69% of Asians, and ~60% of others.

I have some other questions for you. I've made a rough table of what the vote by demographic would look like (https://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/Unit...ternate_Version)#Results_by_demographic_group), but I'm somewhat unsure. What do you think the demographic coalitions would look like here? I was envisioning this map to be in an alternate timeline in which the New Deal Coalition survives, in a modified form, into the modern day, and the Republicans have somewhat of an Eisenhower-Rockefeller-Nixon-Ford type coalition of rural, exurban, suburban, and some urban voters built up. Would this map reflect that? What would the vote by demographic look like? I surmised that Rutherford wins ~55% of whites, ~94% of blacks, ~72% of Hispanics, ~69% of Asians, and ~60% of others.
Nothing jumps out at me as wrong here...I am trying to find something to nitpick but I can't.

Nothing jumps out at me as wrong here...I am trying to find something to nitpick but I can't.
I see. I made an exhaustive effort to calculate the numbers among each demographic group, and these are the figures I came up with. Based upon the county and district results, I find it plausible that Rutherford does best among lower-income voters, and Leach among middle and upper-income ones. That corresponds to how the electorate voted in earlier decades. I also think the spread among white voters is reasonable. One thing that I've been trying to determine though, is how the white vote goes in each state, based upon these results and upon demographics. Leach definitely wins whites in Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana. But what about South Carolina? Georgia? North Carolina? Virginia? Or the Outer South? What about Arizona or Idaho, both of which are relatively narrow Democratic victories?

Status
Not open for further replies.