The M-BAM Main Thread

MBAM Iowa Patch.png

Iowa. This will probably be the last patch that I do for a while.

Redcoat

Banned
Eh. Not much progress.
I mean I just got done from school, so...
but I'll try n finish it up, someday.
Don't expect it soon.
Me too. Once I'm done with my VT-BAM claims, I'll start work on some historical patches.

@VenusUberAlles For a while, some people on the thread were working on a 1914 map, there were a couple of patches from 1919 too IIRC, though I might be wrong.

@VenusUberAlles
I don't know about X-BAM. VT-BAM apparently is M-BAM enlarged further (potentially enough to fit in the 36569 communes of Metropolitan France; for reference, the 322 arrondissements of France can be drawn on Q-BAM), though I'm not sure if they share the same projection.

Redcoat

Banned
@Redcoat what maps are other people working on? I’ve heard of this X Bam and VT Bam projects, what exactly are they?
X-BAM is barely active nowadays. The base maps people seem to be using the most seem to be VT-BAM and 8K-BAM, mostly the first. AFAIK VT-BAM is super easy to do, you're tracing off of a base map.

ST15RM

Banned
X-BAM is barely active nowadays. The base maps people seem to be using the most seem to be VT-BAM and 8K-BAM, mostly the first. AFAIK VT-BAM is super easy to do, you're tracing off of a base map.
I think the X-BAM was just too big. I couldn't even handle the VT-BAM, because I had a vast swath of land, and it wasn't as easy for me as it was for others, so I abandoned ship.

Don't worry, I'm gonna work on things.

Redcoat

Banned
I think the X-BAM was just too big. I couldn't even handle the VT-BAM, because I had a vast swath of land, and it wasn't as easy for me as it was for others, so I abandoned ship.

Don't worry, I'm gonna work on things.
I think your problem was that you claimed way too much, and got overwhelmed easily. If you split work into smaller chunks, you'd usually get more motivated. I was able to plow through Australia rather easily but had trouble doing Central Asia.

So X-Bam is just M-Bam but bigger? What makes VT-Bam different? And whats this 8K-Bam?

VT-BAM is equirectangular, and so is the 8K-BAM. The 8K-BAM is smaller than the VT-BAM, which makes it easier to edit.
At this point there are way too many BAMS for them to be useful in any way. Although we really are in want of an equirectangular basemap, I think that some of them should just be merged or something.

ST15RM

Banned
At this point there are way too many BAMS for them to be useful in any way. Although we really are in want of an equirectangular basemap, I think that some of them should just be merged or something.
I think Klime's just showing off his/her Q-GIS skills.

But I personally find the 8K-BAM to be more useful. It's easier to edit, and easier for the computer to handle.