The Silver Knight, a Lithuania Timeline

What's your opinion on The Silver Knight so far?

• Total voters
Anyways, how fanatical is the average Indian soldier? Has almost 40 years of political indoctrination transformed them into fanatics?
Welcome back.

All I can say is - it's impossible to tell. I mean... what other answer could I even give? Fanatism is not quantifiable.

1521216977595123123.png

Lithuanian pro-war propaganda poster 1959.

Last edited:
All I can say is - it's impossible to tell. I mean... what other answer could I even give? Fanatism is not quantifiable.
True, but considering how they've been indoctrinated from birth (I'm sure the Indians have an equivalent to the Hitlerjugend or at least the Komsomol/Young Pioneers), I fully expect a relatively large proportion of Indian soldiers to be IJA-level fanatical or worse (in AANW, the Waffen-SS make the IJA "look like conscientious objectors" in CalBear's words).

Last edited:
True, but considering how they've been indoctrinated from birth (I'm sure the Indians have an equivalent to the Hitlerjugend or at least the Komsomol/Young Pioneers), I fully expect a relatively large proportion of Indian soldiers to be IJA-level fanatical or worse (in AANW, the Waffen-SS make the IJA "look like conscientious objectors" in CalBear's words).

I expect we'll find an answer to this in later updates :^)

he Great Asian War is often seen as the death of early 20th century style mobile warfare, armored spearheads and similar elements of "lightning war" - simply put, innovations in aircraft, artillery design and far greater army sizes meant that the landship was no longer the terror of the battlefield like it used to be. Today, it's often just a slow and easy target for jet bombers or self-propelled artillery battalions. China was exemplary in this change in military ideology, diverting more and more resources and R&D funding towards heavier artillery, cheaper, faster and stronger aircraft and mass infantry equipment production.

VERY interesting. Is there an OTL Basis for this shift? Because my impression of modern OTL conflicts like the Iraq war is that tanks and such still played a major role. I'm not sure if the tank can truly be made obsolete with 1950s tech.

VERY interesting. Is there an OTL Basis for this shift? Because my impression of modern OTL conflicts like the Iraq war is that tanks and such still played a major role. I'm not sure if the tank can truly be made obsolete with 1950s tech.
Though main battle tanks continued to play a major role in the Iraq War and onward, and I'm not trying to say that the landship has gone completely obsolete in the TSK world, it is generally agreed that by then, attack helicopters (which could fulfill the role of the tank more effectively) as well as vast advancements in aircraft technology and modern AT guns had made tanks not as fearsome as they used to be in the 1940s.

As far as I know, this "breaking point" happened sometime during the 1960s. AT guns, helicopters and jet aircraft advanced in far greater strides than the MBT could.

It should also be noted that the battlefields of the Great Asian War are simply terrible for landships, too. They're not the plains of central Europe nor the flat desert of Arabia, but jungle, mountains and hills, so the nations fighting in such an environment would naturally start phasing the landship out.

Though main battle tanks continued to play a major role in the Iraq War and onward, and I'm not trying to say that the landship has gone completely obsolete in the TSK world, it is generally agreed that by then, attack helicopters (which could fulfill the role of the tank more effectively) as well as vast advancements in aircraft technology and modern AT guns had made tanks not as fearsome as they used to be in the 1940s.

As far as I know, this "breaking point" happened sometime during the 1960s. AT guns, helicopters and jet aircraft advanced in far greater strides than the MBT could.

It should also be noted that the battlefields of the Great Asian War are simply terrible for landships, too. They're not the plains of central Europe nor the flat desert of Arabia, but jungle, mountains and hills, so the nations fighting in such an environment would naturally start phasing the landship out.
Heck even in the Battle of the Bulge German Panzers were badly blunted by Allied air superiority. It was well in the works by the end of WWII.

Heck even in the Battle of the Bulge German Panzers were badly blunted by Allied air superiority. It was well in the works by the end of WWII.
To my understanding it's just a little a bit more complicated than that. Certainly between late WWII and the 70s the role of the tank was quite diminished by the shear range of things which could defeat even the best RHA. However as ERA, composite armour, and modular add on kits began to mature tanks had a renascence of sorts. So certainly for the current point in the TL tanks taking the back seat is realistic.

Anyways, what about the UIS' youth organizations? Do they have anything akin to the Hitler Youth with compulsory membership for their kids or is it more of a "voluntary" organization like the Komsomol/Young Pioneers?
Young Octobrists, Pioneers and Komsomol had compulsory membership.

Okay, I'll repost my question on the UIS' youth organization, then and how successful has it been then in churning out people who are fanatical "true believers" in the UIS' ideology?
Again, much like with your military fanaticism, the answer is undefined, because you can't really make a concrete answer without further criteria.

What is considered to be fanaticism? At which point general patriotism is considered fanatical? Are we only talking about critical situations, like having their region occupied or family killed, or being fanatical in normal life?

I'd like to imagine that in all countries, no matter how democratic or totalitarian, the percentage of fanatics is miniscule, because genuine fanaticism arises not from indoctrination, but from the person's character and how accepting they are of fanatical thought.

Forging a New Nation
Forging A New Nation: Post-Independence Virginia

gb%7Drep.gif

Flag of the Virginian Federation

Virginia, along with Oceania and New England, was among the countries which arose from the Troubles but while New England was amongst the most-sparsely populated countries in the world due to Mejico grabbing the most populated part of said country as it gained its independence and Oceania fell into Unitarianism in an Indian-backed revolution, Virginia gained its freedom and independence in a relatively quick revolution lasting just two months under the leadership of the All-Virginian Congress, a provisional legislature/government convened by Virginian elites, who were already separatist-minded and not happy over how far-off London tried to dictate their affairs often and treated them as a colony to be subjected to “direct rule from London”. The All-Virginian Congress was a broad coalition ranging from hardline Protectionists to outright Revolutionary Unitarians united only by their desire to forge an independent Virginia free from the Kingdom of Brittania and so the task of uniting the nascent Virginian Federation was a hard task with it’s first Democrat, Vincent Benson, having his work cut out for him.

220px-Sir_Anthony-Eden_number_10_Official.jpg

Vincent Benson, the first Democrat of the Virginian Federation

One of the first tasks of the All-Virginian Congress after proclaiming the independence of the Virginian Federation and winning said independence was to decide the constitutional structure of the Virginian Federation with the All-Virginian Congress convening in Conway as soon as the final loyalists were defeated to iron out the details of the government of the Virginian Federation. After a few months of arguments, the constitution of the Virginian Federation provided for a federal republic with a strong Democrat and a bicameral legislature with a National Assembly elected via mixed-member proportional representation directly by the population and a Federal Council comprised of representatives elected by provincial legislatures. Said constitution was approved by a unanimous vote of the All-Virginian Congress on August 3, 1950 and was ratified in a referendum on October 26, 1950 with 85.2% of the people of Virginia voting “Yes” for such a constitution.

In addition to drafting a new constitution, the All-Virginian Congress and the Provisional Government of the Virginian Federation also had to deal with the economic impact of Virginian independence as well. In this, they were helped by how Virginia already had a large degree of economic independence from Britannia even before Virginian political independence. However, Virginia still needed to strengthen its native industry as while it had a developed agrarian economy and a net exporter of food, colonial economic policies had neglected industry in favor of agriculture, which the Benson government sought to correct through providing incentives for businessmen to develop local industry through tax breaks and subsidies, which proved effective in kick-staring Virginia’s native industry along with tariffs to protect local industry and companies from undue competition. These economic policies to promote local industry would be pivotal in Virginia’s future development with two particular companies, “Three Stars”, founded by Alexander Wayland, who’s talented 22-year old (at the time of said company’s formation in 1954) daughter Michelle would be pivotal in Virginia’s future, which specialized in producing cheap electronics, and Rose Corp, which specialized in selling cheap automobiles to the peoples of Virginia.

deborahkerr.jpg

Michelle Wayland, heiress to the Three Stars Corporation

After the ratification of the constitution, elections were slated for September 1952 and new political parties arose as the ideological splits in the big-tent All-Virginian Congress led to various political parties arising with the most prominent, measured in prominence in said provisional government and size, being the Virginian Republican Party, the Democratic Unitarians in the Virginian People’s Alliance, the Protectionist Virginian National Party, and the Unitarian Party of Virginia, representing the more radical Unitarians. The elections slated for September 1952 resulted in the victory of Benson and his Virginian Republican Party with the VRP winning 224 of the 480 seats at hand in the National Assembly to the VPA’’s 135, the VNP’s 74, and the VUP’s 47, andand Benson winning Democratic elections with 41.6% of the vote in the first round and handily defeating the Virginian People’s Alliance’s candidate, Franklin Whitley, a prominent trade union leader and militia leader who gained popularity in leading a formation of the nascent Virginian Army in it’s war of independence in the second round with Benson winning 65.2% of the vote.

220px-OswaldM.jpg

Franklin Whitley, candidate of the Virginian People’s Alliance in 1952 and head of said party

Benson’s first full term as Democrat saw a continuation of the economic policies of his interim government but Benson’s government had to focus more on the foreign aspects of his administration as his government had to deal with border disputes between Virginia and Mamaruntu’s Inca Empire, which culminated in a series of border skirmishes and an undeclared border war between Virginia and Tawantinsuyu over Patagonia in 1954, which proved to be inconclusive and led to a return to pre-war borders. However Benson’s government was forced to increase military spending in response and strengthen Virginia’s native arms industry as attempts to purchase weapons from foreign powers proved futile due to the tensions between China and India which would culminate in the Great Asian War. Seeking re-election in 1956, Benson would narrowly defeat Whitley in a re-run of their 1952 battle in the second round, though with a narrower margin with Benson winning just 56.2% of the vote. Another prominent event in the 1956 election is the election was the election of the 31-year old Nicole Maynard to the National Assembly on the Virginian People’s Alliance’s “party-list” with her being already a vocal activist and “rising star” in the VPA along with the election of Margaret Tyrell, daughter of the CEO of the Rose Corporation on a constituency for the Virginian Republican Party.

220px-Jean_Kent_-_publicity.JPG
220px-Taylor%2C_Elizabeth_posed.jpg

Nicole Maynard (l) and Margaret Tyrell (r), two rising stars in Virginian politics

Last edited: