A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

I am actually unsure about any Danish soldiers participating in the nine years war, they most certainly did later in the War of Spanish Succession (and from what I've gathered performed rather well!)

VVD0D95

Banned
Yes we was also renting soldiers out in the War of Spanish Succession to the Dutch, English and Austrians, if I remember correctly there was also Danish soldier in the Dutch invasion of England (Dutch side). There was also Danish soldiers fighting the Ottomans in Hungary, but these returned after Austria crossed the Danube (the limit of the Danish engagement zone). The primary reason Denmark wasn't a active part of the Nine Years War, was that Denmark didn't trust anti-French alliance to not fuck them over.
Would such concerns be present now?

Question, should Sweden abd Denmark get involved in the nine years war
Wasn't Sweden allied with France at this point in time? Sweden may not militarily side with France in the Nine Years' War, since they'd only be an easier target for the anti-French coalition to take out, but I doubt they'd get involved against France, even if the Emperor offered German lands to expand Swedish Pomerania. Although maybe if England could build enough ties that a northern Protestant England-Denmark Norway-Sweden triple alliance could become a viable prospect to replace Sweden's ties with France. That seems a bit of a stretch though. Not to mention Charles XI specifically avoided warfare and sought greater independence in foreign affairs. He probably more than anyone realized the brittleness of the Swedish Empire, and focused on internal reforms like the reductions.

Although I'm pretty sure Charles XI conducted military reforms that involved Swedish officers studying warfare abroad. So that could be one way to have Sweden start building ties with England. Swedish observers being there could allow military ties to be built up if England does hope to pry Sweden from France.

As for Denmark, Christian V had reason to be skeptical of most continental alliances. Unless it is changed ITTL, IOTL he was all but forced to allow the Dukes of Holstein-Gattorp to return to power by Charles XI, the Holy Roman Emperor, and other European powers in 1689. This being a line of nobles that were a major pain for the Danish kings, and practically semi-officially allying with Denmark historical enemy of Sweden to ensure their sovereignty from the Danish kings. So he isn't exactly going to be tripping over himself to be aiding the Holy Roman Empire, especially since the Scanian War didn't end well for Denmark and ruined the state's finances for a not inconsiderable amount of time. Not to mention he wasn't exactly the most 'international' of kings of the time.

Although he might if Prince (now King-Consort) George can forge an English alliance with his nephew. During the Scanian War the Dutch had been the allies of the Danish, and France in the end basically bullied its way into the peace on behalf of Sweden that basically forced Denmark to give up all its gains. Christian might be willing to get in a few cheap shots at France, if it can. Even then I'm not sure Denmark's finances are good enough for a protracted war, so Denmark would probably only contribute in limited fashions, naval support, deployment of troops with strictly defined war at opportune times in coordination with allied forces, etc.

Would such concerns be present now?

Yes unless England ensure that Denmark can trust them (see my explanation at further down)

Wasn't Sweden allied with France at this point in time? Sweden may not militarily side with France in the Nine Years' War, since they'd only be an easier target for the anti-French coalition to take out, but I doubt they'd get involved against France, even if the Emperor offered German lands to expand Swedish Pomerania. Although maybe if England could build enough ties that a northern Protestant England-Denmark Norway-Sweden triple alliance could become a viable prospect to replace Sweden's ties with France. That seems a bit of a stretch though. Not to mention Charles XI specifically avoided warfare and sought greater independence in foreign affairs. He probably more than anyone realized the brittleness of the Swedish Empire, and focused on internal reforms like the reductions.

Although I'm pretty sure Charles XI conducted military reforms that involved Swedish officers studying warfare abroad. So that could be one way to have Sweden start building ties with England. Swedish observers being there could allow military ties to be built up if England does hope to pry Sweden from France.

According to wikipedia (including the Swedish one) Sweden took part of the conflict on the anti-French side until 1691, I can't find why they decided to leave the conflict. Also if we're talking about expanding Swedish land I would say expanding Swedish Palatinate (Palatinate-Zweibrücken) would be more logical

As for Denmark, Christian V had reason to be skeptical of most continental alliances. Unless it is changed ITTL, IOTL he was all but forced to allow the Dukes of Holstein-Gattorp to return to power by Charles XI, the Holy Roman Emperor, and other European powers in 1689. This being a line of nobles that were a major pain for the Danish kings, and practically semi-officially allying with Denmark historical enemy of Sweden to ensure their sovereignty from the Danish kings. So he isn't exactly going to be tripping over himself to be aiding the Holy Roman Empire, especially since the Scanian War didn't end well for Denmark and ruined the state's finances for a not inconsiderable amount of time. Not to mention he wasn't exactly the most 'international' of kings of the time.

Correct the Danish kings occupied Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp from 1675-1689, while it's duke lived in exile in Hamburg, because he wouldn't negotiate a peace agreement, which would have meant given up his territories north of the Eider (Schleswig-Gottorp). But in 1686 a internal fraction in Hamburg invited a Danish occupation of the city, but protests from other German states kept the Danes from occupying the city, and made the emperor seek a solution for Hamburg and Gottorp. Which ended as in OTL, the Danes had to give up their claim to Hamburg and stop their occupation of Gottorp. If this follow OTL pattern Denmark will stay neutral.

So to get Denmark on the anti-French side, the English have to pressure the emperor to at the very least let Denmark keep the Schleswig-Gottorp, but it wouild be even better if the emperor would allow Denmark to gain Holstein-Gottorp too (maybe with the Danes giving up the County of Oldenburg to Duke Christian Albert of Gottorp) through that's not necessary. This would make the Danish state open to suggestion about joining the League of Augsburg against France. If the Emperor throw Saxe-Lauenburg as a price to Denmark, the Danes will be aboard. But they need to get these things before, because as you said the Scanian War had removed Daany Danish trust in the anti-French alliance.

Although he might if Prince (now King-Consort) George can forge an English alliance with his nephew. During the Scanian War the Dutch had been the allies of the Danish, and France in the end basically bullied its way into the peace on behalf of Sweden that basically forced Denmark to give up all its gains. Christian might be willing to get in a few cheap shots at France, if it can. Even then I'm not sure Denmark's finances are good enough for a protracted war, so Denmark would probably only contribute in limited fashions, naval support, deployment of troops with strictly defined war at opportune times in coordination with allied forces, etc.

Denmark have the finances, what it lack are the interest in fighting France. So you need to bribe the Danes beforehand. The king brother as king-consort of England and his nephew as heir, will of course make it far easier to reach a agreement with Denmark, but there's a need to make Denmark think alienating France would be worth it. Because Danish foreign policy from 1679 to the post-Naoleonic War pretty much build on keeping itself friendly toward France thanks to the Dutch betrayel in 1679.Denmark in the same periode adopted a friendly attitude toward England/UK, but the Scanian War taught the Danish a lesson when allying with the power of Europe, and the Great Northern WEar, which was why Denmark was pretty much a neutral power from 1721-1945 except the few times it couldn't avoid joining a alliance (like in the Napoleonic Wars).

England have to unteach Denmark that lesson by showing that there's also something in it for Denmark in being a English allied.

VVD0D95

Banned
Intriguing, so what could make the Emperor acquiese to giving up Hamburg, and Gottorp to the Danish, when in otl he was so very reluctant to do so?

Huh, I didn't know Sweden participated in the anti-French alliance. Guess my previous point is moot then. Not to mention sort of solves the question on whether Sweden should participate, unless ITTL events have already been altered enough to change things. Although I guess that would depend on what made Sweden enter the war in the first place (actually found it a bit on that. It seems that Charles XI despite largely losing the Scanian War, all of Sweden's German territory was occupied, refused to cede any territory during the beginning of the peace negotiations. Louis XIV basically ignored him and started negotiations of Sweden's behalf without Charles' authorization, and so while Louis used French power to basically have all Swedish territory returned to it it appears Charles developed a dislike of Louis and a strong anti-French bias afterwards).

Sweden hadn't been in personal union with Zweibrucken at the time, Charles X had given it to his younger brother and France had annexed it in 1680. It was in the Treaty of Ryswick that ended the Nine Years' War that Charles XI regained it, as his first cousin once removed that had lost it to the French died without heirs in 1681. That could be why Charles had entered the war, to regain Zweibrucken. Not sure if that was what you meant, but it seems most of the pieces are already set for Sweden to participate on its own.

Courting Denmark isn't impossible, but it also likely isn't something Leopold I views as necessary. For Leopold to cede the Holstein-Gottorp question would greatly strengthen Denmark's internal stability, and eventually allow it to look outwards. Not good for Sweden nor the numerous German Princes. Leopold would need to think Denmark's aid was necessary, and no one was expecting the war to turn out to be the grinding and fiscally ruinous war it turned out as. Maybe Denmark doesn;t join at first, only later as it turns into the terrible grind would the anti-French League start looking for additional allies that can tip the scales. However by that point not so sure anyone in Denmark would be looking at the situation and be wanting some of that. Fielding tens of thousands of soldiers just so they can avoid battles, sit outside fortresses in sieges, and then return to their positions in winter was ruinous for the participants (and France, England, and the Dutch have much more resources to waste than Denmark).

England is more likely to support Denmark, and that's really only as it doesn't directly affect them and Denmark is a nice counterbalance to the Dutch. It would probably be less for the specific purpose as gaining Danish aid against the French as simply building up an ally. Otherwise, familial ties between monarchs already didn't mean set alliances. Charles XI had married Christian V's sister, and that didn't stop the Danish-Swedish fighting. The current Duke of Holstein-Gottorp I'm pretty sure is a cousin of Christian. It will take more than a marriage or two to forge a proper alliance in this age. That will probably take a while. Not so sure it can easily be accomplished before the war breaks out, unless butterflies really start breaking out.

How did the Dutch betray the Danish in 1679?

Huh, I didn't know Sweden participated in the anti-French alliance. Guess my previous point is moot then. Not to mention sort of solves the question on whether Sweden should participate, unless ITTL events have already been altered enough to change things. Although I guess that would depend on what made Sweden enter the war in the first place (actually found it a bit on that. It seems that Charles XI despite largely losing the Scanian War, all of Sweden's German territory was occupied, refused to cede any territory during the beginning of the peace negotiations. Louis XIV basically ignored him and started negotiations of Sweden's behalf without Charles' authorization, and so while Louis used French power to basically have all Swedish territory returned to it it appears Charles developed a dislike of Louis and a strong anti-French bias afterwards).

Sweden hadn't been in personal union with Zweibrucken at the time, Charles X had given it to his younger brother and France had annexed it in 1680. It was in the Treaty of Ryswick that ended the Nine Years' War that Charles XI regained it, as his first cousin once removed that had lost it to the French died without heirs in 1681. That could be why Charles had entered the war, to regain Zweibrucken. Not sure if that was what you meant, but it seems most of the pieces are already set for Sweden to participate on its own.

Courting Denmark isn't impossible, but it also likely isn't something Leopold I views as necessary. For Leopold to cede the Holstein-Gottorp question would greatly strengthen Denmark's internal stability, and eventually allow it to look outwards. Not good for Sweden nor the numerous German Princes. Leopold would need to think Denmark's aid was necessary, and no one was expecting the war to turn out to be the grinding and fiscally ruinous war it turned out as. Maybe Denmark doesn;t join at first, only later as it turns into the terrible grind would the anti-French League start looking for additional allies that can tip the scales. However by that point not so sure anyone in Denmark would be looking at the situation and be wanting some of that. Fielding tens of thousands of soldiers just so they can avoid battles, sit outside fortresses in sieges, and then return to their positions in winter was ruinous for the participants (and France, England, and the Dutch have much more resources to waste than Denmark).

There was a lot of good reason Leopold decided to support the Gottorp, and I don't disagree with them. But they came at a high price, which he was lucky didn't end up higher. It pretty much ensured that Denmark would never join the anti-French side in any alliance, and Denmark pretty much had to bribed by Austria in every major conflict through the 18th century to stay neutral, because the great lesson for Denmark ended up being, that the anti-French alliance couldn't be trusted, and France remembered it allies. That was a high price which would have much higher if Denmark had had more ambiguous kings after Christian V. Instead it meant that Prussia got it back free.

England is more likely to support Denmark, and that's really only as it doesn't directly affect them and Denmark is a nice counterbalance to the Dutch. It would probably be less for the specific purpose as gaining Danish aid against the French as simply building up an ally. Otherwise, familial ties between monarchs already didn't mean set alliances. Charles XI had married Christian V's sister, and that didn't stop the Danish-Swedish fighting. The current Duke of Holstein-Gottorp I'm pretty sure is a cousin of Christian. It will take more than a marriage or two to forge a proper alliance in this age. That will probably take a while. Not so sure it can easily be accomplished before the war breaks out, unless butterflies really start breaking out.

I agree but England and Denmark would in fact have interest in common. English and Danish economy was deeply integrated, they lack many areas where they could come in conflict. Next while close familiar relationship usual don't mean much, Prince George of Denmark was fourth in the line to Danish crown, which do means a lot. The Duke of Gottorp was also in the line but much further out. The Sönderburg dukes was closer in male line, while Gottorps was close in female line. Next the Gottorps and Oldenburgs hated each other on a personally level, while George had a good relationship with his brother.

How did the Dutch betray the Danish in 1679?

By letting France run over Danish interest completely, if the Dutch had integrated the negotiation of Danish-Swedish conflict inbto the general negotiation, Denmark would likely have been able kept Schleswig-Gottorp (something France wasn't entirely hostile to.), which would mean the conflict hadn't been a total disaster for Denmark. Instead the Dutch made peace fast including with Sweden, all this served to leave France to dictate the Swedish peace treaties with Brandenburg and Denmark.

Intriguing, so what could make the Emperor acquiese to giving up Hamburg, and Gottorp to the Danish, when in otl he was so very reluctant to do so?

First we need English support for Danish king and a agreement that Denmark join the Nine Year War against this deal.

So here's my suggestion:

sh1721.gif

Denmark gain:
Schleswig-Gottorp (what it got in 1721 after the Great Northern War, the dark orange parts on the map)
The areas which was co-rules by Danish king and the Duke of Gottorp (the light yellow areas) are annexed to the Danish king's possessions.
The Duchy of Saxe-Lauenburg are given to the Danish king against giving up any claim on Hamburg and Holstein-Gottorp.

Gottorp gain:
The pale violet areas are made a fully independent duchy (Holstein-Gottorp), Denmark give up any claim to this duchy as long as the Gottorp line are alive. In case of its extinction the Danish king will be the heir to the duchy.
The Danish king pays a large lump sum to the Duke of Holstein-Gottorp for his loss of the co-ruled parts of Holstein.
Denmark also recognise the Prince-Bishopric of Lübeck as separate from the Duchy of Holstein and its ruling house as the Gottorps.

Hamburg gain:
The Danish king and Duke of Holstein-Gottorp give up any claim to Hamburg and both guarantee the independence of the Free Imperial City of Hamburg.

The king of Denmark and the Duke of Holstein-Gottorp also begin negotiation for a potential trade of land to consolidate the Duchy of Holstein-Gottorp's territory.

Here's map of how I suggest the post agreement borders look

altHolstein1691.png

VVD0D95

Banned
Okay interesting, would this be needed before an arrangement for the Danish to enter the nine years war then?

Chapter 7: Sambhaji

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 7: Sambhaji

Sambhaji remained seated looking over the valley, watching as the battle was fought. The Mughals would try and destroy him and all he and his father had worked for if they defeated his army today. He knew that, they knew that, everyone here knew that. It had taken a long time to truly get everything in place, he suspected that Aurungzeb himself might venture out to try and stop him if things got as bad as they might. Kill the head of the snake, and you would remove the chance for the snake to rise again, as his father had often said. Guns sounded in the distance, and Sambhaji kept his focus on the ground below.

The battle was one that might well change the course of everything in this great nation of theirs. The Mughals were part of the Muslim dynasties that had ruled over Bharat for generations since Pritviraj had failed to stem the tide five centuries ago. If that man had succeeded the first time, perhaps the fields of Tairan would be known as a pilgrimage site instead of the place where Bharat had buried itself. Sambhaji’s father Shivaji had started the gruelling process of freeing Bharat from Muslim rule, and it was Sambhaji’s divine right to carry on the struggle. As guns shook the ground below, and men cried out for relief, Sambhaji knew that things needed to be kept equal before they could truly achieve victory.

A rider approached him, covered in sweat. “Sire.” The rider said as he dismounted and bowed.

“What is it?” Sambhaji demanded. He kept his eyes fixed on the fighting below, the ground was shaking with the echo of the battle, and he suspected that they would break through. If they won a victory here, then they could keep the pushing going. Perhaps marching northwards, though they would need to secure their southern flank.

“Sire, I come bearing word from the commander. He states that the Mughal left flank has broken and fled. They are going be hunted down by Ghorpade, as instructed. The commander wishes to know what you would like him to do. Move into the Mughal centre, or flank the Mughal right.” The rider said quickly.

Sambhaji thought over this for some time, the ground below was traditionally quite flat in contrast to being on an island. It was not as murky and dirty as one might expect, which was why the guns had been put to such good effect here. Move to the centre and the commander of the Mughal army would be dead or captured, and their spies reported that there was not sufficient morale amongst the Mughal troops for them to sustain themselves beyond today. Yet going for the centre would leave them exposed on the right, and their right was always the weakest component, Rajaram, his brother was not that greater a commander to pull off a retreat. “What are the ground conditions like?” He asked, the answer would determine his course.

“They are beginning to dirty and the guns are proving less effective than at the start of the battle, Sire.” The rider said.

Sambhaji nodded, the decision made for him. “Send word to the commander, tell him to send a detachment to support the right, but to invest the centre.” The rider nodded, but before he got on his horse, Sambhaji asked. “What of the Prince? What has become of him?”

The rider hesitated and then said. “Sire, he has been fighting with great courage.” Sambhaji nodded and dismissed the rider. Rajaram had no doubt done something stupid that he would need to fix, his brother was not the most level headed of people.

After some time, the fighting seemed to die down, and a rider appeared once more, this time it was the commander. Hambirao Mohite a true warrior in the Maratha fashion, who had fought with his father, stopped before him, dismounted and kneeled. “Sire, I am delighted to tell you that we have victory. The Mughal forces have either retreated or surrendered.”

“And Sarja Khan?” Sambhaji asked. That man was a valued enemy, someone he could handle himself if it came down to it.

“A prisoner, Sire. He surrendered when he saw that half his host was fleeing.” Mohite replied.

Sambhaji nodded and raised Mohite up. “You have done well, general. Today we shall celebrate the victory we have won.” He turned back to his men. “And tomorrow we shall push the Muslims out of our homes!”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The survival of Mohite is big, as it means that Sambhaji does not need to flee to the Western Ghats, and his army remains in tact. Consequently, the Mughals will have a harder time capturing and killing him.

Okay interesting, would this be needed before an arrangement for the Danish to enter the nine years war then?

Yes something like that, the point are that Denmark couldn't care less about whether France annexed the entire Left Bank of the Rhine, so it needs some kind of payment to join. The co-ruled areas of Holstein could potential keep their status quo. But it remove a point of potential conflict between Denmark and Holstein-Gottorp and serve as excuse for the Danish king also paying for Schleswig-Gottorp[1] without it being official.

[1]one of the reason the 1689 agreement pissed off the Danes so much, was because the emperor gave the Gottorp Schleswig-Gottorp back, a duchy which lay outside the HRE and had the Danish king as overlord not the emperor, by giving the Gottorp it back, the Emperor treated the kingdom of Denmark as a vassal, which it wasn't. The French king on the other hand did recognise Schleswig-Gottorp as a Danish vassal.

VVD0D95

Banned
Yes something like that, the point are that Denmark couldn't care less about whether France annexed the entire Left Bank of the Rhine, so it needs some kind of payment to join. The co-ruled areas of Holstein could potential keep their status quo. But it remove a point of potential conflict between Denmark and Holstein-Gottorp and serve as excuse for the Danish king also paying for Schleswig-Gottorp[1] without it being official.

[1]one of the reason the 1689 agreement pissed off the Danes so much, was because the emperor gave the Gottorp Schleswig-Gottorp back, a duchy which lay outside the HRE and had the Danish king as overlord not the emperor, by giving the Gottorp it back, the Emperor treated the kingdom of Denmark as a vassal, which it wasn't. The French king on the other hand did recognise Schleswig-Gottorp as a Danish vassal.

Alright very interesting, I can see this being George's crowning achievement if he can convince Anne to pull this off.

Alright very interesting, I can see this being George's crowning achievement if he can convince Anne to pull this off.

If George pull this off, Denmark will pretty much end up the English mini-me the next 50 years. Denmark will turn into a source of soldiers for the English continental wars. Of course like Brandenburg Denmark will have it own foreign policy, but the alliance with England and Austria will be seen as a very important part of Danish foreign policy. A important part of this alliance are that the English no longer need to worry about the Baltic from a naval POV as Denmark will keep other Baltic naval powers in check.

VVD0D95

Banned
If George pull this off, Denmark will pretty much end up the English mini-me the next 50 years. Denmark will turn into a source of soldiers for the English continental wars. Of course like Brandenburg Denmark will have it own foreign policy, but the alliance with England and Austria will be seen as a very important part of Danish foreign policy. A important part of this alliance are that the English no longer need to worry about the Baltic from a naval POV as Denmark will keep other Baltic naval powers in check.
This is very true, I wonder could Britain gain the Faroe Islands?

This is very true, I wonder could Britain gain the Faroe Islands?

Why would they like to gain them, UK have been able to take them several times, but they have chosen not to and for good reasons. They lack value for England.

As for Denmark, it would cost a high price, as they was a important part of the Danish claim of the Norwegian Sea as a Danish territory. The English usual respected this claim, while the Dutch didn't before a Danish army forced them to respect it in thne 1730ties[1].

But if it's important, we could see the Danish pawning it to the English, and use the money to pay the Gottorps. By only pawning it Denmark would keep its claim on the Norwegian Sea.

[1]This showed two things, how important the Danes found this claim and how deep the Dutch had fallen by then.

VVD0D95

Banned
Why would they like to gain them, UK have been able to take them several times, but they have chosen not to and for good reasons. They lack value for England.

As for Denmark, it would cost a high price, as they was a important part of the Danish claim of the Norwegian Sea as a Danish territory. The English usual respected this claim, while the Dutch didn't before a Danish army forced them to respect it in thne 1730ties[1].

But if it's important, we could see the Danish pawning it to the English, and use the money to pay the Gottorps. By only pawning it Denmark would keep its claim on the Norwegian Sea.

[1]This showed two things, how important the Danes found this claim and how deep the Dutch had fallen by then.

This is very true, the only reason I could think of it, was as you say the control over the northern seas.

VVD0D95

Banned
I do think the English Parliament would've been quite reluctant to give George the title of King Consort, given their general xenophobia at this point to all involved.

I do think the English Parliament would've been quite reluctant to give George the title of King Consort, given their general xenophobia at this point to all involved.

Honestly George won't care, while Anne will likely be pissed. From what I know about he really and more modern didn't care that it was his wife who ruled, but he did have a interest in the military something he shared with his elder brother. I think George primary effect on English politics, will be the potential alliance network he may help set up, I can also see him push for a bigger English army. He will likely not see any need for conscription, as his brother focus on this build primarily on it being a cheap way to raise extra soldiers

Also some good links I found

Danish army 1700 http://www.tacitus.nu/gnw/armies/denmark/organisation.htm

English army 1660-1700 http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/english_army.html

VVD0D95

Banned
Honestly George won't care, while Anne will likely be pissed. From what I know about he really and more modern didn't care that it was his wife who ruled, but he did have a interest in the military something he shared with his elder brother. I think George primary effect on English politics, will be the potential alliance network he may help set up, I can also see him push for a bigger English army. He will likely not see any need for conscription, as his brother focus on this build primarily on it being a cheap way to raise extra soldiers

Also some good links I found

Danish army 1700 http://www.tacitus.nu/gnw/armies/denmark/organisation.htm

English army 1660-1700 http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/english_army.html

Interesting, so a bigger army being his main legacy, which will be interesting to see, especially as Parliament often feared big standing armies as a hangover from the days of the Commonwealth

Chapter 8: George

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 8: George

George stoked the fire, briefly, reflecting on the past few months. His father in law had died at the end of March, preceded by his sister in law, and his wife had been crowned Queen in August, he had been confirmed in his role as Consort and confirmed in his title as His Royal Highness the Duke of Cumberland, with a host of subsidiary titles. His wife had shown that she preferred the court party, the high church party, and almost shared similar views to her father, on everything except Catholics in office. There had been a purge of Catholic officers, and now things were somewhat back to normal. Though George knew his wife and he knew that things wouldn’t remain as such. He put the poker back in its holder and sat down. He looked at his wife, who stared at the letter in her hand.

“You know the bill makes some reason of sense.” George said. The bill in his wife’s hand was the Occasional Conformity Bill. Introduced by the Earl of Shrewsbury it would ensure that the Court party could keep control over the electoral system by giving those who occasionally attended Anglican rite, the chance to hold office and stand for election. “It would ensure people like Devonshire could not rally support to their desire to oppose your agenda. Furthermore, it would make someone such as Peterborough more inclined to favour you as well.” Peterborough wasn’t a Catholic as far as George could tell but he was most definitely more in the high, high church school of thought.

Anne put the paper down and said. “I know, but I suspect Devonshire was the one who convinced Shrewsbury to introduce the bill. Every time the man speaks in cabinet meetings I can hear Devonshire speaking through him. He suggested Puritans getting more leeway to hold their own services, the other day. This coming from a man hated in the Puritan community!”

George hid a grin, he knew his wife disliked the fact that Shrewsbury had converted religion to take his seat, that she felt it dishonest. “So, what will you do? The Parliament has sat only for two months, and they have been quite friendly to your agenda, they’ve allowed you to give me quite a sum of money, they’re willing to consider paying off that debt sell that I have in Holstein, and they are willing to expand the military. This is the first bill they themselves have put before you. Will you reject it?”

Anne bit her lip, as she often did when she was nervous. To George it was an endearing trait. One that their daughter Mary had also developed. “I do not know. I am wary that those who support Catholic emancipation, or even non-believers, would seek to use it as a means of opening the door further. There is also the fact that the non-conformists were in alliance with my father, and I do not wish to be seen as sharing the same sort of agenda as him.”

George nodded, he understood his wife’s concerns. She’d had to do a lot of work to assure the lords that she would not bring the country back to Rome, her father had done much damage, and the presence of his wife was not helping things. “So, what shall you do?” He asked, suspecting he knew the course his wife would take.

Anne picked up the letter again and said. “I shall ask Shrewsbury and Sunderland to reconsider the bill, suggest amendments to the wording to make it seem less as though I am opening the door to some sort of Catholic purgatory and go from there.”

“A wise move my dear.” George said. His wife smiled.

She took his hand then and said. “I’ve made my mind up and had it signed from council today. From this day forth that all children of the sovereign shall bear the style of Royal Highness, as will grandchildren of the sovereign descending in the male line. Great-grandchildren in the male line will bear the style His Highness. I think that is appropriate, don’t you?”

George nodded. “Very much so.” He had always thought it odd how the Royal Family had not really thought over the styling of their princes, and princesses, instead referring to them simply as Your Grace, even if they weren’t directly related to the sovereign. It was good that that had been ensured.

“Has your brother mentioned whether he will join the alliance?” Anne asked then. George sighed, war with France was looking more and more likely, with King Louis of France eyeing up the land in the Rhine and the Spanish Low Countries that he believed was his. With the Holy Alliance pushing the Turks on the back foot, things seemed possible for an actual war to force Louis to see sense. George had written to his brother asking him to consider joining the war effort on England’s side.

George sighed. “He has not yet replied. I know that he holds some doubt over siding with the alliance against France. And I think I know how to convince him to side with us.” His wife gestured for him to continue and so he did. “There is land in the Duchy of Schleswig-Gottorp that rightfully belongs to Denmark, but is being held by the Duke of Gottorp, this land needs to be handed over to my brother, as does the land in the Duchy of Saxe-Lauenburg, but for some reason the Emperor has handed that over to some family or the other. As for the Duchy of Holstein-Gottorp that truly belongs to Denmark also, and as such in exchange for a lump sum of money and perhaps an exchange of land toward Gottorp getting something more beneficial toward them whilst not infringing on Danish privileges.”

George knew that this was a long shot, but it was something he had thought about for some time. He knew his brother and he knew that this was the best that they could offer. Or rather that they could suggest the Emperor offer. His wife looked surprised at this, though she did say. “I shall think on whether this is something we can truly suggest to the Emperor. I know that the Dukes of Gottorp are in alliance with Sweden and through them the French, but they might be more inclined to money and other lands, to ensure that they are not broken down into nothing. Perhaps they can be given the County of Oldenburg?”

George nodded encouraged. “Possibly, if the Emperor would rather have Denmark on our side than siding with the French.”

His wife smiled. “I shall speak with Sunderland about this and then take it forward.” George kissed his wife’s hand in gratitude.

Like the update a few thoughts to a potential agreement.

1: Gottorp get the County of Oldenburg which are raised to duchy status plus a large lump sum (even the enclaves are more valuable than Oldenburg)

As a altenative

2: Gottorp get the County of Oldenburg, keep Gottorpian Dithmarschen and get Danish Dithmarschen. Their domain are named the Duchy of Oldenburg-Dithmarschen. The Danish state pays nothing.

The benefit with agreement number 2 are these. The Gottorp control over Dithmarchen and Oldenburg strenghten the Swedish hold over Bremen-Verden, it keep Denmark from completely control over the access to the Elbe River. This would keep the Swedes and north German states happy. As for Denmark they gain control over the more valuable parts of Holstein and get rid of any threat to their control over Schleswig-Holstein.