A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Oh, why is that

Domestic English politics mostly, also there's three important elements in royal marriage, inheritance, aliiances and family network. The Savoy doesn't really give anything on any of the points. If you marry a Welf or a Mecklenburg, it may not give a important alliance, but those dynasties are usual closely connected to the bigger Protestant dynasties. But the best potential marriage partners are Protestant powers, unless of course a Habsburg princess would be willing to marry a Protestant, in that case the princess are worth more than the domestic trouble she may give. Through I suspect that even the English parliament would think a Habsburg princess was worth the price.

VVD0D95

Banned
Domestic English politics mostly, also there's three important elements in royal marriage, inheritance, aliiances and family network. The Savoy doesn't really give anything on any of the points. If you marry a Welf or a Mecklenburg, it may not give a important alliance, but those dynasties are usual closely connected to the bigger Protestant dynasties. But the best potential marriage partners are Protestant powers, unless of course a Habsburg princess would be willing to marry a Protestant, in that case the princess are worth more than the domestic trouble she may give. Through I suspect that even the English parliament would think a Habsburg princess was worth the price.

Hmm interesting, this does then lead me to ask, should James marry Ulrika Eleonora, or marry a Habsburg Princess, especially if one of his sisters ends up married to Charles XII of Sweden

Hmm interesting, this does then lead me to ask, should James marry Ulrika Eleonora, or marry a Habsburg Princess, especially if one of his sisters ends up married to Charles XII of Sweden

The problem with a Habsburg princess are that the Austrians didn't to marry them to heretics, so while a great price, they're also to some degree outside reach. The Swedish match makes a lot of sense, if I have to be honest. The royal family will support it because it make them second in succession to the Swedish crown, the parliament will support it, because it will make the future king less likely to push for a war with Sweden on Danish side, and the Swedes will support it for the same reason. Also the Danish gaining control over Holstein have made them more likely to mess in European politics[1], instead of focusing everything on Sweden.

[1]If Denmark join future wars on the English-Austrian side, and there's not potential gain in the European neighbourhood, they will likely look toward colonial concessions instead.

VVD0D95

Banned
The problem with a Habsburg princess are that the Austrians didn't to marry them to heretics, so while a great price, they're also to some degree outside reach. The Swedish match makes a lot of sense, if I have to be honest. The royal family will support it because it make them second in succession to the Swedish crown, the parliament will support it, because it will make the future king less likely to push for a war with Sweden on Danish side, and the Swedes will support it for the same reason. Also the Danish gaining control over Holstein have made them more likely to mess in European politics[1], instead of focusing everything on Sweden.

[1]If Denmark join future wars on the English-Austrian side, and there's not potential gain in the European neighbourhood, they will likely look toward colonial concessions instead.
Hmm this is true, so ulrika instead of Sophia hedvig?

Hmm this is true, so ulrika instead of Sophia hedvig?

The Swedes want a match, the Danes also if they can get away with it (to keep the English branch of the family close and secure a powerful lobbyist in London in case of a war with Sweden). Which princess which marry James doesn't matter as much as the family she comes from. So whether James marry a elder or younger sister doesn't really matter. Except for its effect on European alliance politics in that she doesn't marry another.

VVD0D95

Banned
The Swedes want a match, the Danes also if they can get away with it (to keep the English branch of the family close and secure a powerful lobbyist in London in case of a war with Sweden). Which princess which marry James doesn't matter as much as the family she comes from. So whether James marry a elder or younger sister doesn't really matter. Except for its effect on European alliance politics in that she doesn't marry another.

This is very true, hmm, are there any Danish Princesses around at this time?

Obviously there's Sophia Hedwig though she's a good decade older than James

She's the only one, and the English are unlikely to choose her, unless they're desperate[1]

Like they need a wife very early for James and most other candidates are too political problematic.

VVD0D95

Banned
She's the only one, and the English are unlikely to choose her, unless they're desperate[1]

Like they need a wife very early for James and most other candidates are too political problematic.

Hmm this is true.

Who would you recommend, Ulrika or her sister?

Hmm this is true.

Who would you recommend, Ulrika or her sister?

I would say that Ulrika makes the most sense because of her age. Hedwig should obvious either be married to the new Duke of Oldenburg or the Danish crown prince or one of the latter's brothers (through not William the youngest). But I think the marriage alliance depend on what you want to end up with. You could create a English-Swedish, Danish-Swedish or Oldenburg-Swedish union, if that's what you want. You could also make the Swedish Wittelsbach survive. i think you need to make some thoughts about how you want the map of Europe to look in 1730 and decide the choice of marriage partners from that.

VVD0D95

Banned
I would say that Ulrika makes the most sense because of her age. Hedwig should obvious either be married to the new Duke of Oldenburg or the Danish crown prince or one of the latter's brothers (through not William the youngest). But I think the marriage alliance depend on what you want to end up with. You could create a English-Swedish, Danish-Swedish or Oldenburg-Swedish union, if that's what you want. You could also make the Swedish Wittelsbach survive. i think you need to make some thoughts about how you want the map of Europe to look in 1730 and decide the choice of marriage partners from that.

How do you mean regarding the map of Europe in 1730?

How do you mean regarding the map of Europe in 1730?

Well you either make a mental image of where you want TTL to be a few decades into the future.

Or you analysis where the different actors want the world to go.

As example France want the entire west bank of the Rhine. Austria want to consolidate their realm. Sweden want to still be a empire. Denmark want to return to be a great power. Brandenburg want Jülich-Berg. Saxony want to raise their prestige etc.

You need to set a short term goal of the effect of Oldenburg England, or you need to see where the actors led you.

VVD0D95

Banned
Well you either make a mental image of where you want TTL to be a few decades into the future.

Or you analysis where the different actors want the world to go.

As example France want the entire west bank of the Rhine. Austria want to consolidate their realm. Sweden want to still be a empire. Denmark want to return to be a great power. Brandenburg want Jülich-Berg. Saxony want to raise their prestige etc.

You need to set a short term goal of the effect of Oldenburg England, or you need to see where the actors led you.

Ah yes, I get you.

Chapter 15: George the Husband

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 15: George the Husband

London at the height of winter was a sight to behold, there was snow covering the ground, the people had brought their trees and their carols, and things seemed to be settling down. The people had food in their bellies, and thanks to the Farmers Act, there wouldn’t be a stopping in production of meats unlike when King James had been King. Yes, George felt things had gone well. His wife was happy, and therefore he was happy as well. Of course politics could not completely leave them alone, and as Lord Admiral, he had to keep an eye on the fleet and the naval war, even if Dartmouth was in charge of the fighting.

“We have enough ship resources to last throughout the winter, though we shall need to ensure there are enough ships patrolling the border waters, to prevent something like what happened during the Dutch war from happening again. Lord Dartmouth has told me that the French have refused to engage so far, I believe King Louis does not want to expand energy there.” George said.

Anne who had her head in his lap hummed. “I do not think Louis sees the benefits in the naval warfare. Sunderland reported that our spies in Versailles say the Sun King wants everything thrown on the land war.”

George nodded. “That doesn’t surprise me, the French have always been more focused on the fight on the continent than on the waves, and that is where they have fallen behind people such as Spain and Portugal.”

Anne raised her head and sat up. “The Spanish have been foolish enough to engage in a fight over the Pyrenees. They provoked the French to attack them there. And now we might need to send forces to put pressure on the western front.”

“I do not think there was anything else that King Carlos could do, or rather that his advisors could do. They were humiliated the last time and need to turn attention away from the Spanish Low Countries. Their people are more likely to fight if the French are directly attacking them compared to otherwise.” George responded.

“Still, it does not make things easier. Especially as the King has no children and no surviving siblings. The Emperor demands that we recognise his sons’ rights to the throne, in the eventual event that Carlos dies.” Anne said sounding quite put off.

George knew by rights that the French King’s son was the rightful heir, and yet the union of those two kingdoms could not be allowed. And so, he answered. “Does the Emperor’s daughter not have a superior claim to the throne than his children by his third marriage?”

“Yes, but there was some nonsense about the Spanish and the Austrians not thinking that a woman could handle the Spanish Empire, especially with her husband being who he is. There is also talk that the girl is pregnant.” Anne said.

“So, if a girl is born then that child will be married to the Emperor’s second son.” George replied surmising what it was the Emperor wanted to accomplish.

“Yes, and given their fascination with keeping the lands within the family, the Spanish are likely to agree. Which means that within a few years King Louis will start another war. Which means we need to make sure he is too crippled to actually start a proper fight.” Anne responded.

George nodded, he saw the sense in that. He changed the topic then to something a little closer to home. “I spoke with the governess, she mentioned that she wished for the girls to start reading through the children’s Bible.” George personally found such a thing ridiculous, he wanted his daughters to feel comfortable in themselves first before giving them over to such things.

“I think that might be a good thing. My father and uncle’s courts were debauched. I do not want such a thing to be the same here. I’ve already had to expel several nobles for their affairs.” Anne replied.

George sighed. “My dear, they are three and two. They deserve a chance to actually grow properly before giving them over to the book.”

“Nonsense.” Anne replied. “You have already been talking about their marriages. So, why not give them the chance to get ahead now?”

George wanted to protest, he remembered how his own sisters had felt about being raised within the confines of their religion at such a young age, and he knew that doing such a thing might not be the best thing for their daughters now. However, he could tell by the way Anne had set her jaw that she would not give way on this. Therefore, he did what any sensible husband should do and he conceded. “Very well, my dear, if that is your wish.”

His wife smiled and kissed him on the cheek. She then said. “Besides, there will soon be another member of the family that we can fuss over.”

It took a moment for him to process what his wife had said, when it had sunk in he looked at her and asked. “You are sure?”

“I am.” Anne replied. “I am a few moons gone.” He leaned over and kissed his wife again and again.

Great time line VVD0D95. Well written and I loved James death scene.

London at the height of winter was a sight to behold, there was snow covering the ground, the people had brought their trees and their carols, and things seemed to be settling down.(1)

“I am.” Anne replied. “I am a few moons gone.” He leaned over and kissed his wife again and again (2).

Just two point
(1) The Christmas tree became popular in England in 1841 when Queen Victoria's husband, Prince Albert, brought a Christmas tree over from Germany and put it in Windsor Castle. The Royal couple were illustrated in a newspaper standing around the Christmas tree with their children

I believe referring to moons regarding a woman’s menstruation is an ancient/ medieval terminology

VVD0D95

Banned
Just two point
(1) The Christmas tree became popular in England in 1841 when Queen Victoria's husband, Prince Albert, brought a Christmas tree over from Germany and put it in Windsor Castle. The Royal couple were illustrated in a newspaper standing around the Christmas tree with their children

I believe referring to moons regarding a woman’s menstruation is an ancient/ medieval terminology

True on both accounts. Though, trees for decoration would thay be considered odd?