A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

So many Oldenburg timelines recently, I love it. They're my second favourite dynasty! (also watched)

Last edited:
So. Query for you all, would you rather see King James next, or princess Anne? Or someone in Versailles

While I would like you to go with Anne, it makes more sense with James, as if we go with Anne, her older sister have a better claim, while if we goes with James, he's the only grandson. By bypassing the female heir we avoid the problem that Anne only have the second best claim to the crown. Of course Anne should be made regent instead (with George also being placed on the regency council, which will give James a lot of protection).

VVD0D95

Banned
While I would like you to go with Anne, it makes more sense with James, as if we go with Anne, her older sister have a better claim, while if we goes with James, he's the only grandson. By bypassing the female heir we avoid the problem that Anne only have the second best claim to the crown. Of course Anne should be made regent instead (with George also being placed on the regency council, which will give James a lot of protection).
Ahhh I was meaning for the next POV

VVD0D95

Banned
Query for you all, I'm trying to find out how the monarchs of this time appointed Ministers in England, and can't find anything. Did they simply name their favourites to the positions in cabinet, or go off of who had a majority in the commons?

Chapter 2: James

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 2: James and Governance

March had entered the year with rain, removing the snow that had made commuting between Windsor and Whitehall so very difficult. James was relieved that the snow had finally gone and that the weather was slowly warming. His wife had been suffering from a cold for the past three weeks and he was not sure whether if she would make it through, especially with the changing temperatures. He would need to consult with the doctor to make sure, and then speak with his confessor. If the doctor failed, God would have the answer.

James looked at the men before him, Robert Spencer, Earl of Sunderland and Secretary of State for the Southern Department sat to his right, whilst Charles Middleton, Earl of Middleton and Secretary of State for the Northern Department stat to his left. There was also his trusted advisor John Churchill, Lord Churchill. James exhaled and then spoke. “Gentlemen, we all know that since the birth of a son to our daughter, Anne, there has been an increasing murmuring of what the religion of the child should be. With our wife, Queen Mary currently indisposed, the children of our daughter’s marriage are our heirs. We would wish for them to be raised in the true faith and to ensure they are brought before Mother Church in a manner that is most appropriate for their station. However, our daughter refuses and her husband supports her.” James could tell Spencer and Churchill were uncomfortable with the words he used and that was deliberately done. James had learned a long time ago that in order to know who was thinking what, you had to speak in a manner that unsettled them. “We would see your advice.”

James saw his advisors look at one another as if they were trying to figure out whether he was being serious or not. He hid a laugh behind his hand, there would be a time and place to reveal how foolish these people were. Anne might have produced children, but he was confident that his wife Mary would still have a son with him. there was nothing saying otherwise. Eventually, Lord Churchill spoke. “Sire, I believe that perhaps it would be best for Her Royal Highness to decide the religion of her children. After all she is your heir after Her Highness Princess Mary, and with things being as they are between yourself and Parliament it would not do to antagonise them further.”

Parliament had not sat since early last year, when their demands had grown most intractable. The thought of having to submit before them was another thing he found repellent, and therefore he had not undone the prorogation he had implemented. James felt that perhaps he could push this issue of religion, but decided instead to let it go. He changed the topic toward something closer to home. “The Declaration of Indulgence was issued to Scotland a month ago, we have not received any word since then. Middleton, you are our correspondent with Scotland, pray tell us how things go in our most humble Kingdom.” James wanted to follow up on something his grandfather had proposed, the union between the two kingdoms. Charles, his dearly beloved brother had attempted something similar once, or had thought about it before his death but to no avail.

Middleton was his man, someone who would remain firmly loyal throughout anything, James was assured of that. And so he took Middleton at his word when the man replied. “Sire, things within Scotland were initially turbulent, but since then the clergy and the ministers have come around to the way of thinking that you expressed. I believe that this is due to the pressure that the Highland clans exerted on them during such services as they would frequent within Edinburgh or Glasgow.”

“Good, that is very good. With Scotland working behind the declaration, England cannot object to it. For there would be nothing in sense that would dictate refusing to grant half the population a chance to express themselves freely in their religion. We are a tolerant people after all.” James said, thinking of those things such as the Declaration of Right that had stripped his father of such power.

James could hear Middleton’s doubt when he replied. “Aye, Your Majesty. I would agree. His Lordship the Earl of Westmorland has already written to say that he intends to bring to bear such freedoms as Your Majesty would allow within his counties.”

“Splendid.” James replied, Westmorland had been a viable opponent against him during the Popish Plot and the Exclusion crisis during his brother’s reign, that the man had decided to see the light was positive news. “And what of the war with the Turk? Do we have enough reason to bring men to fight for Christendom?” James wished to join the fight against the Ottoman, and drive them from Europe for good. He could not understand how cousin Louis could maintain an alliance with such vile people.

“Sire, the Ottomans have been driven from Pécs they were forced to abandon the town and the castle. This has given the Holy League a chance to secure their gains so far.” Sunderland said. “As to our own position, we have sufficient funds to send a two brigades if necessary to fight in the Holy League, but anything more and Parliament would be needed.”

James bit his tongue then, he did not wish to recall Parliament, but his desire to be a good Christian and drive the Turk out from Europe was stronger. “And what is the mood amongst the people, would they support such an action?”

“I believe they would Sire. The belief that the threat could be eradicated now is one that they wish to see.” Sunderland replied, though James was not sure if that were the truth or a lie.

Query for you all, I'm trying to find out how the monarchs of this time appointed Ministers in England, and can't find anything. Did they simply name their favourites to the positions in cabinet, or go off of who had a majority in the commons?
Yes. Is the rather unhelpful response.
More helpfully, please see here for a summary under the history section.

I just want a beautiful Triple Union where everyone is as happy as is realistically possible.
A proper TU would be nice. Especially if the Toleration Act gets a proper extension to Catholics earlier than OTL.
In fact assuming union between England and Scotland is later and merged with an earlier union with Ireland then some (let's be realistic here!) Catholic tolerance could be included.