Opinions on CSA: Confederate States of America

I've been a avid alternate history fan for maybe two years or so now, but one of the movies that got me interested in the genre was a American mockumentary called "CSA: Confederate States of America",

Basically, it shows a world where the Confederate States not only won their independence, but managed to annex the entire Union in a very ASB fashion. The movie then shows the evolution of the CSA from a group of slave-holding states to a superpower comparable to that of the US through events like the conquest of Latin America, a Pacific War where Japan was attacked by the CSA rather than the other way around, etc.

It's a great movie and a good introduction to alternate history, even if as I just said, the scenario is pure ASB for multiple reasons.

So, what are your opinions on this movie?

I agree, a good example for people to understand the concept...but is ASB to the extreme. I did like the idea of the CSA going into Cuba and Central America though.

I enjoy the film regardless of how plausible it is but i know the director and creator had stated that it failed as a work of alternate history due to the fact that it was supposed to be commentary on race relations at the time

It does have some intresting background ideas such as a Canadian Oregon territory Canadian New England and others but it’s quite a fun ride regardless of plausibility

I get what the movie was trying to accomplish, but the ASB nature of it... head shake. That being said, anything that is a gateway to AH to a wider audience is a good thing. Turtledove at his most weirdest and laziest, cartoon shows that use AH as an excuse to do more "adult" theme in a one-off episode with the in-built excuse of it being an alternate universe, or even terrible, terrible comic book one-shots; anything that promotes AH and does not actively bring down the genre... it's all good in my view.

If there is one adult who learned to love AH fiction because as a kid they read a shitty Green Lantern annual where Hal Jordan and Guy Gardner are in the SS, then I have no problem with that horrible thing.

It's great a work of satire, which is what it should be judged on. As AH I don't think I need to comment, although in my mind "ASB" is just a excuse for a wild thought experiment.