Map Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just trying to find an excuse so as to not have the US emerge as some broken up, warlord riddled state at the end of the war and still play an influence in the post war scene.

Well, I wouldn't object to a "terribly damaged but still standing" USA, with large areas under martial law or evacuated due to fallout, but with some degree of government continuity and the populace however battered retaining loyalty to the concept of the USA rather than the nearest large well armed man in a leather outfit (Loads O' Warlords is in itself a dubious post-atomic-war cliche of a piece with "the masses turn into panicked murderous mobs when shit goes down" cliche. )

I am thinking about making a map where several since collapsed civilizations escaped to the america's and I am having trouble deciding which. So far I have Rome, Mongol Empire (technically a khanate/horde that didnt get the memo about the empire collapsing and is located in Alaska/PNW.), and a surviving norse colony.

Any suggestions?
Malian Empire? Phoenecians? Both have legends that say they visited lands to the west once upon a time.

Not totally needed but I went ahead and put the house boundaries on the expanded map made by @theman7777
westeros complete.png

As with the last map, things go pretty convergent to OTL 'till the 30's, with the main change being that Brazil dodges the Vargas bullet, and instead gets hit by the veritable tank-shell that is the Integralists when the Great Depression hits. With Brazil under a potty fascist junta, the semi-democracies of the Southern Cone take a sharp veer to the left in response (regional rivalries are a wonderful thing). Hilarity ensues.

Very fine, you've been constructing a delightfully fragmented world with these maps. And we do need some better South American basemaps. One quibble: how many Brazilians immigrated to French Guina/Cayenne when it was under their control? A North Korea-esque country with under 300,000 people is unlikely to be able to afford a rocket program. (Actual North Korea has roughly 90 times the population).

fashbasher

Banned
Time: Around 1500 BCE

POD: Around 3800 BCE, Kuk Swamp, Papua New Guinea - A local sugarcane farmer (PNG is among the birthplaces of sugarcane and bananas) discovers that cane juice, when allowed to ferment, can produce a pleasant intoxication. He thereby becomes among the world's first drunkards and produces a crude, weak form of rum (true rum is a distilled spirit). As a result of his discovery, fermentation and the production of booze spreads throughout Melanesia and in time throughout East and Southeast Asia. Around 1900 BCE, a Papuan sailor encounters one of the world's emerging literate civilizations and brings the idea of literacy to Melanesia. As rum can be produced wherever cane grows, several independent offshoots of the Melanesian civilization have emerged, these including Australia, Hainan, Austronesia, and Tamil Nadu, which now have a presence on the doorstep of Ancient Egypt. The reigning pharaoh has taken a liking to rum as opposed to Egyptian beer and has invited Melanesian brewers based in Tamil Nadu to establish a settlement on the doorstep of his kingdom. Interestingly, all of these offshoots of the Indian Ocean Civilization are mercantile republics functioning under the Melanesian "big man" system.
MOMVPG5.png

Did my best to figure out the true size of beyond the wall in ASOIAF:

So we know that GRRM likes to take a lot of inspiration from real world of geography, and we also know that beyond the wall is a pretty large place. However, we also know that Westeros is an island because he clarified that the continents weren't connected. So i compared some pictures of beyond the wall and southern Greenland, and discovered a ton of similarities. I superimposed the two images then came up with a pretty reasonable hypothesis for what the rest of Westeros looks like:
View attachment 344726
^Known areas of Westeros with Greenland on top of the corresponding areas

View attachment 344727
^My rough estimation of what the complete continent looks like
Eh, personally I'm of the opinion that Westeros is the southern appendage of a continent that is the entire north pole.

Well, I wouldn't object to a "terribly damaged but still standing" USA, with large areas under martial law or evacuated due to fallout, but with some degree of government continuity and the populace however battered retaining loyalty to the concept of the USA rather than the nearest large well armed man in a leather outfit (Loads O' Warlords is in itself a dubious post-atomic-war cliche of a piece with "the masses turn into panicked murderous mobs when shit goes down" cliche. )
Now that you mention it, I need to rectify the status of the US as "still standing but battle damaged and lost some superpower influence" ala OTL's UK post WWII.

POD: Around 3800 BCE, Kuk Swamp, Papua New Guinea - A local sugarcane farmer (PNG is among the birthplaces of sugarcane and bananas) discovers that cane juice, when allowed to ferment, can produce a pleasant intoxication. He thereby becomes among the world's first drunkards and produces a crude, weak form of rum (true rum is a distilled spirit). As a result of his discovery, fermentation and the production of booze spreads throughout Melanesia and in time throughout East and Southeast Asia. Around 1900 BCE, a Papuan sailor encounters one of the world's emerging literate civilizations and brings the idea of literacy to Melanesia. As rum can be produced wherever cane grows, several independent offshoots of the Melanesian civilization have emerged, these including Australia, Hainan, Austronesia, and Tamil Nadu, which now have a presence on the doorstep of Ancient Egypt. The reigning pharaoh has taken a liking to rum as opposed to Egyptian beer and has invited Melanesian brewers based in Tamil Nadu to establish a settlement on the doorstep of his kingdom. Interestingly, all of these offshoots of the Indian Ocean Civilization are mercantile republics functioning under the Melanesian "big man" system.
MOMVPG5.png
A unified New Guinea is borderline ASB. There's a language (not a dialect, a language) per every thousand people, the land is so broken up, absolutely covered in mountains in jungles. Absolute best case at this stage in history is a series of coastal principates who swear fealty to some High King, with influence expanding a couple of miles inland.

fashbasher

Banned
A unified New Guinea is borderline ASB. There's a language (not a dialect, a language) per every thousand people, the land is so broken up, absolutely covered in mountains in jungles. Absolute best case at this stage in history is a series of coastal principates who swear fealty to some High King, with influence expanding a couple of miles inland.

I didn't mention that they were unified...each of those five descendants represents a "civilization" composed mainly of city-states or tribal republics. Think Mesopotamia or Classical Greece, not a centralized empire like Egypt or Rome.

I didn't mention that they were unified...each of those five descendants represents a "civilization" composed mainly of city-states or tribal republics. Think Mesopotamia or Classical Greece, not a centralized empire like Egypt or Rome.
I wasn't talking about the offshoots, I was talking about New Guiena itself. You've depicted it as a single color that envelops almost the entire island.

Good, but not entirely accurate. The border between the Westerlands and the Riverlands runs a bit further to the West. As it stands, your map puts Riverrun under Lannister control.

It also puts enormous amounts of the Riverlands directly under the Crown. And, as far as I can tell, gives some of the Crownlands to the Stormlands.

Maybe Kaiser_Jaeger just hates the Riverlands? :p

Isaac Beach

Banned
I wasn't talking about the offshoots, I was talking about New Guiena itself. You've depicted it as a single color that envelops almost the entire island.

In fashbasher's defense, the Indus Valley Civilisation is also depicted as one solid blob despite being largely disjointed city-states across the breadth of the Indus and Ganges basin. When making early history maps 'culture groups' tend to just be solid colours regardless of how politically unified they are.

In fashbasher's defense, the Indus Valley Civilisation is also depicted as one solid blob despite being largely disjointed city-states across the breadth of the Indus and Ganges basin. When making early history maps 'culture groups' tend to just be solid colours regardless of how politically unified they are.
But even that would be a more unified cultural complex than any New Guinean civilization. At best, you could have one contiguous coastal complex.

MOMVPG5.png

So they went all the way to the Arabian Sea? Because there were no literate civilisations outside of the Middle East, Egypt, and the Indus Valley Civilisation (assuming the Indus Valley script actually is writing).

And if the civilisations got more complex, at least some of those languages would end up absorbed or outright destroyed within a few centuries.

Isaac Beach

Banned
But even that would be a more unified cultural complex than any New Guinean civilization. At best, you could have one contiguous coastal complex.

Well I hardly see how a complex of independent city-states it's more unified than your proposed union of coastal principates. We can presume that this New Guinean civilisation has a lingua franca spoken among the oligarchs and merchants of the coastal city-states, which means their unification is believable. As for the interior, they could conceivably extract a sort of tax composed of taro, bananas, sago and yams, which would justify Fashbasher's colouring in of the whole island.

Well I hardly see how a complex of independent city-states it's more unified than your proposed union of coastal principates. We can presume that this New Guinean civilisation has a lingua franca spoken among the oligarchs and merchants of the coastal city-states, which means their unification is believable. As for the interior, they could conceivably extract a sort of tax composed of taro, bananas, sago and yams, which would justify Fashbasher's colouring in of the whole island.
Tax? No way, jose. That would require a credible threat to extract it, which they're not going to have that far into the interior.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Tax? No way, jose. That would require a credible threat to extract it, which they're not going to have that far into the interior.

I'm not saying they'll be able to extract tax all the way up to the peak of Mount bloody Wilhelm, but far enough into the interior to justify colouring in the whole island, in part because their control of those coasts would deny the penetration of Papua itself by foreign polities, effectively making them the sole suzerain of the interior. Asking fash to delineate along the coasts where control would be the most contiguous on a simple map is just being pedantic.

Status
Not open for further replies.