Well that went about as well as could be expected for Theodore and the Corsicans.

It looks like the French and Genoese are capable of taking the coastline but I doubt they will make many inroads into Corsica's interior with the forces available to them. Even with the added reinforcements Boissieux is set to receive I don't think he could take and hold the entire island, unless his continued success convinces enough Corsicans to lay down their arms, which is something that doesn't seem very likely at this point.

Second Wave

Nice.

To approach Isola Rossa, the French had to pass beneath the village of Corbara, located on a rocky spur of a north-south mountain ridge. After retreating from Fabiani had made his headquarters in a Franciscan convent on the mountainside nearby, overlooking the mile and a half wide vale of Nonza, a flat expanse of fields and orchards which the French would have to cross.

Is there a word missing here? It feels like it.

Losses on both sides had been heavy, and although they had won a tactical victory the Corsicans had suffered more, with more than 300 dead or wounded compared to around 200 on the part of the French. While Fabiani was soon reinforced by more militia, however, Boissieux could not replace his losses locally, and soon he was obliged to make more detachments that dwindled his main force. The geography of the Balagna was a double-edged sword, for while the region had a long coast which was vulnerable to attack it had an equally long frontier with the mountains to the south, territory which the rebels controlled and from which they could launch raids and infiltrate the occupied zone. After the Battle of Corbara, bands of fighters from Niolo, Caccia, and Talcini began attacking Franco-Genoese positions in the south. Boissieux had preferred to garrison these towns with Genoese infantry, as he preferred to keep his field army composed of more reliable Frenchmen, but after Genoese companies was actually driven out of Zilia and Montemaggiore by the Niolesi he was obligated to station French companies there to maintain his conquests. By late March, the French had fought numerous skirmishes but to no real gain, while Boissieux's main force at Algajola had dwindled to less than a thousand men. He could no longer seriously threaten Fabiani's position in the vicinity of Isola Rossa.

So, the French have a sufficient advantage in terms of drill and 'proper' warfare even when they make a mistake, but they will need to funnel more troops into the campaign to really make advances.

The Genoese, meanwhile, act like dumb twats, forcing French troops to perform garrison duties across all held territory.

Even a talented commander with a force that's superior in pretty much every way struggles getting into the mountainous interior.

At this point, it seems that bankruptcy is still the most dangerous enemy of Theodore, rather than any enemy commander or force. Lose Balagna, lose any hope of replenishing materiel and munitions.

Not to take away from it, but I was reading a bit of your 'Harlot' TL and I know you either abandoned it or are just focusing on this, but I got a question that's killing me. As a fan of old prestigious monarchies myself (something of a romantic Monarchist) especially the Capets, and Arapads. Do the Tusculums survive into the modern age in your TL even as a branch of a branch family? Or are they meant to just be the Capets and Arapads; Makers more than shakers of nations as it were. Sorry for pivoting.

It's not abandoned, but rather on hiatus. I'm focusing on this TL for now, but I have write-ups for future updates in SotHE. As for your question, I'm afraid I don't know - at best, I only write/contemplate a few decades in advance, and I have never really considered whether the family would survive that long in any form. Most royal dynasties aren't so lucky to last 1000+ years, although since by 1100 in that TL the Tusculani have intermarried with a variety of other royal and noble families it might be a fair bet that someone in the modern age can trace their ancestry back to Alberic. IIRC I mentioned something about the Hungarian noble house of Oktávján being a long-lasting presence in Hungarian history, who are male-line (but illegitimate) descendants of Constantine I of Tusculum through John Aureus.

I wonder if the Corsicans will receive a von Steuben/Valley Forge sort of training in the near future?

The thing about von Steuben was that he represented a rare opportunity - it's not every day you get an offer of free help from an aide-de-camp to Frederick the Great, who isn't just a combat officer but a highly qualified quartermaster and trainer too.

There aren't too many shining stars among Theodore's foreign troops; Drevitz is competent, but no genius. We will, however, be introducing a few more newcomers shortly, including some of Theodore's old Scottish/Irish Jacobite buddies who were a sort of stateless military class at this point in the 18th century, floating around between various Catholic royal courts.

To clarify, the purple in the map is French occupied, right?

The Blue/Purple is "French or Franco-Genoese occupation," as contrasted with Red, which means that only the Genoese have a presence there.

Is there a word missing here? It feels like it.

Fixed, thanks.

The Genoese, meanwhile, act like dumb twats, forcing French troops to perform garrison duties across all held territory.

You know, I really do try not to make caricatures. Sometimes people are incompetent, sometimes states are dysfunctional, but I usually don't like it when a country in a TL just seems to blunder continuously. This TL is not intended to be some kind of Genoa-screw. When you read the history of the rebellion, however, the scale of ineptitude and failure beggars belief. The stubbornness, vindictiveness, and stupidity of the Genoese administration cannot be overstated.

Every chance at peace or resolution the Genoese got during decades of rebellion was utterly squandered, and the Senate demonstrated that it could (and would) snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at every opportunity. To give just one not-yet-mentioned example, at one point (in the 1740s IIRC) the rebellion had died down somewhat until a new General-Commissioner arrived and blithely re-instituted the due seini, the exact same tax that had triggered the revolt in 1729 in the first place. It's simply unbelievable; fiction can't compete.

You have, at this point, a completely enervated and demoralized army with personnel of the lowest quality. Their gormless officers are almost completely without experience or training, minor gentry who in many cases acquired their position by virtue of finding enough warm bodies to fill a company. The crisis of recruiting is so bad that the Archbishop offered to allow new recruits to eat meat during Lent as an incentive to enlist, and even the men who do sign up frequently demand written contracts saying they won't be sent to Corsica. The Republic's Corsican soldiers have a decent reputation but they can't be trusted to fight on their home soil, so what remains are the Ligurian peasants who were luckless or stupid enough not to get out of Corsican service; the absolute dregs of Europe, foreign soldiers who deserted from other armies in the last war and who serve Genoa in lieu of starving; and the remains of the "company of bandits," literal brigands and released criminals who have been pressed into the regular army as an alternative to prison or hanging. The only other companies of any worth are the Swiss/Grisons companies, or at least those that survived the debacle at San Fiorenzo, and since Mari knows they're the only ones he can trust he's placed them on garrison duty at Calvi and Ajaccio to guard against the perfidious French.

There is very little reason for such an army to stand and risk their lives against the "savage" Corsicans, especially now that the Corsicans seem to be as well-armed as they are, and particularly since the signal which Mari seems to be sending is that "fighting" is supposed to be the job of the French anyway. The result is that Genoese units, poorly led, poorly supplied, and filled with deserters, criminals, and unenthusiastic peasants, excel only at looting and have very little motivation to actually fight. Not for no reason did Genoese "tactics" basically devolve to brigandage around this time.

At this point, it seems that bankruptcy is still the most dangerous enemy of Theodore, rather than any enemy commander or force. Lose Balagna, lose any hope of replenishing materiel and munitions.

It's not quite so bad as that, because even without the Balagna there are still some productive provinces (i.e. the Nebbio) and ports/coasts to bring in more munitions (San Fiorenzo, Bastia, the coast of Aleria). The Corsican guerrilla war dragged on well into 1740 despite having no control over the coasts whatsoever, and without any arms from the "syndicate fleet" of 1738. Losing the Balagna is bad, but it doesn't immediately cripple the rebellion. The bigger worry would be if the northeast falls as well, because that means the loss of all rebel ports and the entire northern olive-growing region, to say nothing of the psychological loss of the Genoese capital, Bastia.

Last edited:
Just discovered this, it's a wonderfully written timeline about an area of history I was previously entirely ignorant. Can't wait to see more.

Loving our con-man king main character, in particular.

By virtue of Genoese behaviour, the rebellion would survive a humiliating defeat and total loss of income. However, Theodore would at that point basically be extraneous and most valuable as a scapegoat, no?

By virtue of Genoese behaviour, the rebellion would survive a humiliating defeat and total loss of income. However, Theodore would at that point basically be extraneous and most valuable as a scapegoat, no?

Perhaps, but it's helpful that there's really no viable alternative. The Genoese will never give reasonable terms. For all the talk of "foreign powers" seeking to take Corsica, the chance that Spain, Tuscany, or Naples would directly interfere while the French are on the island is nil. The indifferenti leaders have largely been exiled and won't come back as long as the French are there, and there's really no native Corsican leader with enough island-wide support to fill Theodore's shoes.

The only plausible alternative to Theodore, other than surrender to the Genoese, would be to go back to the pre-1736 triumvirate/quadrumvirate system. The likely leaders, however, would be the same people who are Theodore's chief ministers and commanders now - Giafferi, Ornano, Fabiani, Ceccaldi, Gaffori, Matra, and so on. Toppling Theodore wouldn't really change anything at the top, but it would remove the only person who has a proven track record of bringing foreign support and significant quantities of modern arms to the rebels.

I have a question for Italian-speakers, if anyone can help out. While reading about the Lorrainers in Tuscany, I noted that "Lorraine," and thus their house name, was Italianized into Lorena, and that Habsburg was rendered as Asburgo. That got me wondering about whether, and if so how, "Neuhoff" might be Italianized. Any ideas?

Also, if someone could suggest a butchered Italianized pronunciation/spelling of "Kilmallock" I would be appreciative, for reasons that will be made clear in the next chapter.

I have a question for Italian-speakers, if anyone can help out. While reading about the Lorrainers in Tuscany, I noted that "Lorraine," and thus their house name, was Italianized into Lorena, and that Habsburg was rendered as Asburgo. That got me wondering about whether, and if so how, "Neuhoff" might be Italianized. Any ideas?

Also, if someone could suggest a butchered Italianized pronunciation/spelling of "Kilmallock" I would be appreciative, for reasons that will be made clear in the next chapter.
For Neuhoff, maybe "Noffa" - it would bem funny if there is a future indolent ruler known as "Noffa niente"

For Kilmallock, Chilmalloche?

For Neuhoff, Neoffo or Neoffi. And for Kilmallock, Chilmallo or Chimallo.

With the talk of languages I couldn't help but he reminded of a Indo-European language tree I recently saw and reviewing it now the spot Corisician is placed in I find very peculiar. Are Corisican and Sardinian that far away from both Italian and the other mainland dialects?

I remember there was lengthy conversation earlier on the differences and similarities between Corisican and Italian/Tuscan earlier in this thread but I don't recall thinking there was such a gap as this picture shows.

Attachments

• IMG_8837.JPG
    IMG_8837.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 216
Thanks everyone. One thing to consider is that in modern German "eu" is pronounced like English "oi," which - assuming that's true for the 18th century as well - means Neuhoff's name is pronounced like "noi-hoff," not "new-hoff" as Americans like me are inclined to pronounce it. I'm not sure how that vowel sound would be written in Italian.

Could Neuhoff be calqued into Cortenuovo?

An interesting idea... is there any precedent for a noble/royal house name being calqued in that way? The only example that comes to mind is Battenberg becoming Mountbatten in the early 20th century to sound less German.

I must admit that "new court" is a rather appropriate name for a royal dynasty coming out of nowhere. :closedeyesmile:

With the talk of languages I couldn't help but he reminded of a Indo-European language tree I recently saw and reviewing it now the spot Corisician is placed in I find very peculiar. Are Corisican and Sardinian that far away from both Italian and the other mainland dialects?

I'm no linguist, but the reading I've done since we had this discussion in the thread earlier suggests that "Old Corsican" of the early medieval period was much like the conservative "Insular Romance" of Sardinia (and thus quite close to Vulgar Latin), but Pisan dominion in the High Middle Ages largely supplanted that with the Tuscan dialect, which (specifically, its Florentine variety) would later become the basis for "standard Italian." As one goes south, the language becomes somewhat less Tuscan and somewhat more Sardinian, a continuum which extends into northern Sardinia. Despite centuries of Genoese rule, the Ligurian language of Genoa seems to have not caught on much except for enclaves in Calvi and Bonifacio.

That "language tree" seems to treat Corsican as if it were still Early Medieval "Old Corsican" rather than reflecting its later medieval and modern history.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. One thing to consider is that in modern German "eu" is pronounced like English "oi," which - assuming that's true for the 18th century as well - means Neuhoff's name is pronounced like "noi-hoff,"

But then Theodore, as the cosmopolitan he is, might be pronouncing his own name (to non-Germans) with the French pronunciation. (I quite like the Neoffi proposal, although I think that it would not be italianized in official documents but only by e.g. future Corsican newspapers).

If you want a resource on italianization of German names, here is the italianization of Südtirol. Of course that was done in a different time and with different goals (namely, making the names as un-German as possible), so this does not necessarily mean that Neuhoff becomes Casanova.

But then Theodore, as the cosmopolitan he is, might be pronouncing his own name (to non-Germans) with the French pronunciation.

Well, that certainly seems plausible - he did, after all, always write "Theodore" rather than "Theodor," and it would not be surprising to me if he favored French pronunciation as well as spelling. Yet except for Charles-Philippe, his prospective successors don't have his same French background, and I'm not sure the German cousins would keep up that tradition.

If you want a resource on italianization of German names, here is the italianization of Südtirol. Of course that was done in a different time and with different goals (namely, making the names as un-German as possible), so this does not necessarily mean that Neuhoff becomes Casanova.

That's a rather interesting approach. They seem to have put somewhat more effort into transferring meaning than the functionaries at Ellis Island, who for the most part just picked an "American" name which your name sounded vaguely similar to.

"Casanova" would be a hilarious twist, with connotations not entirely inappropriate to Theodore. Still, it seems like making a calque of the house name would be unusual for the time period, as I've yet to find any other situation in which something similar was done despite many noble families moving around quite a bit in 18th century Europe.

As much fun as the calquing is it's probably too late for that to occur.
Having a quick squint at Tuscan the closest pronunciation to "noihof" would be "naihof" written as naicoff/pp(v) so perhaps Naicoppi? It would be close to the pronunciation of necopino unexpected or unthought of.
If Theodore's is closer to "ner'off" or "new'off" then we're looking at Nuopp- or Nuoffo/a/i/e which is close to nuovo/a/i/e. Curiously, perhaps amusingly so, di nuovo can be used as encore or goodbye.
We do need a Corsican, Tuscan, Pisan, or Florentine perspective on this rambling though!

While calquing might have fallen out of fashion in polite society, it does not seem out-of-character for Theodore, as you've described him, to buck tradition, especially given the symbolic and rhetorical effect of choosing such an auspicious name, redolent with meaning. Indeed, as a learned "scientist," he would be would be very familiar with the tradition of Latinization of names for greater authoritative effect (Regiomontanus, Sendivogious, Paracelsus et al). Who knows? It might even attract a young similarly-surnamed Venetian who is about to start a mercenary career to Corsica.

Looking through that link, and checking under H to see how Hof comes out, we get Maso - which the Italian Wiktionary page on it says means agricultural land, or something of that sort. To my knowledge, Neuhoff was an epithet given to a new owner of a farmstead, which is how it stuck as a surname. If we wanted an exact Italianization, the safest bet would be some combination of maso and nuovo.