The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alsace-Lorraine was made its own nation I think.
I'm fairly sure if an honest vote had been held in Alsace-Lorraine in 1919 it would had voted to become its own nation. Post-AANW its really would want to break away from France, but I'm not sure if Calbear said it did or not. Paris wasn't held in the best of favors by the A4 at the end of the war.

So was there any reason Alsace-Lorraine was not returned to France?

My guess is that it was Bruce's initiative when making the map. That, and the Germans settled the hell out of it in twenty years, and unlike Poland the Allies weren't standing up for the French (who'd acted essentially as a Reich ally after D-Day).

I'm fairly sure if an honest vote had been held in Alsace-Lorraine in 1919 it would had voted to become its own nation. Post-AANW its really would want to break away from France, but I'm not sure if Calbear said it did or not. Paris wasn't held in the best of favors by the A4 at the end of the war.

Fair odds that Alsace might have voted for independence. Lorraine is a harder call.

What about the Free French?

More seriously, ITTL de Gaulle pushed his luck too far and ended up getting sidelined altogether: the French were not enamoured of a man who'd scarpered in 1940 and tried coming back in 1960 to make himself a little tin Jesus.
De Gaulle came back with the Allies, established his government shortly (at Lyon, if I remember correctly?) shortly after the burning of Paris, and got promptly overthrown by the angry French people.

Just a question, is this TL the same as Pacific War Redux? I haven't read it yet, but I was wondering.

No, that was an entirely different point of departure. The premise there was that the Roosevelt Administration moved to a full war footing in terms of procurement in summer 1940, I believe.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Actually it was Lyon. Paris was the name of someplace that used to be.

As you note, there was self determination vote. At the time the French nationalist government was doing its best to piss off everybody. They succeeded.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
No, that was an entirely different point of departure. The premise there was that the Roosevelt Administration moved to a full war footing in terms of procurement in summer 1940, I believe.
Pretty much. The idea is that once the Two Oceans Navy Act passes, FDR puts the spurs to her.

Just a question, is this TL the same as Pacific War Redux? I haven't read it yet, but I was wondering.
I WILL get PWR back up on its feet at some point (no, really, I swear).

Depending on the reception of the prequel to AANW that y'all have pushed for, it might be next in the chamber, or I might do the Pacific War part of the AANW verse.

Where did I indicate that that is the case?

The Reich was dismembered. It didn't even get to retain its place as a nation-state, much less hold any conquests.
I think it's B_Munro's map that shows Alsace-Lorraine as one of the German administrative regions.

angloamericannaziwar-png.153763

Incidentally, your comments about Chinese escapees attempting to cross the Himalaya doesn't tally with that map either, as it has an independent Tibet which seems far easier to reach. (Although it does feel exceedingly unlikely that the ultranationalist Chinese regime you describe would have tolerated Tibetan independence...)

Pretty much. The idea is that once the Two Oceans Navy Act passes, FDR puts the spurs to her.

I WILL get PWR back up on its feet at some point (no, really, I swear).

Depending on the reception of the prequel to AANW that y'all have pushed for, it might be next in the chamber, or I might do the Pacific War part of the AANW verse.
Please do a Pacific story on the AANV verse, also Warm War! We all want both?

Also I made a thread about this in ASB but you guys are the experts on this timeline. What do you guys think would have happened if all of Occupied Europe on the Day of the Saint Patrick's Day Raids had been ISOT'd back to December 7th 1941, the day of the Pearl Harbor Attacks.

How would the allies react to the attacks and how long would this delay the defeat of Germany, also what effects would having reperation payments from the rump USSR being cut have on the German economy?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
On small arms did the British ever go to a semi-auto pistol ITL during the war or did they stick with the Enfield No.2?

They stayed with the .38. The U.S. supplied a mega-load of S&W Model 10 via Lend Lease to go with the Enfield and Webley Mark VI.

Australians and Canadians mainly deserted the Mother country on this and went with the M1911. In reality though, the basic belief came down to "when you're down to pistols, its time to leave".

Status
Not open for further replies.