Flag Challenge!

Highlander

Banned
You challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to design a flag for the United States in the map series I am making. For reference, it is here.

Bonus points for those who don't use the traditional colors and such.

1.1.png

Highlander

Banned
Tell us the POD, O Lander on High!

Yes, that may help! :p

Basically, Jefferson stays home instead of going to France, which, coupled with an (edited) version of the Articles of Confederation being adopted, changed everything.

Another point to consider here is the number of formerly independent territories being annexed, which still retain strong national pride (which will cause problems in the future). They are Louisiana (which gained semi-independence from France, and was slowly carved up), Florida, Texas, California, the Mormon territories (though these are a special case), and later Chihuahua and Sonora.

Thande

Donor
Yes, that may help! :p

Basically, Jefferson stays home instead of going to France, which, coupled with an (edited) version of the Articles of Confederation being adopted, changed everything.

Another point to consider here is the number of formerly independent territories being annexed, which still retain strong national pride (which will cause problems in the future). They are Louisiana (which gained semi-independence from France, and was slowly carved up), Florida, Texas, California, the Mormon territories (though these are a special case), and later Chihuahua and Sonora.

Okay. Well that makes it reasonably possible to have something other than a slight variation on the OTL flag, at least.

Thande

Donor
This is based on a flag used by Virginia using the ARW (OTL). It's big and brash and vulgar, but then so is the United States. :D

Because H'lander mentioned the stronger identification with former colonial powers (ie Acadians, Hispanics etc) the flag includes the colours of the flags of France and Spain as well as Britain. The division between the stars was originally just stylistic, but has increasingly come to represent the divide between northern and southern states - especially as it appears there has been no ACW in TTL so it can only be wider.

Screenshot.GIF

Krall

Banned
I like making flags, so I made this for you:
usempioryv4.png

Influences: Mexican flag [alot of Mexico is in this US], North Korean flag [why not? Also, the blue bars look cool, and represent the who 'sea to sea' notion], the UFP flag from Star Trek [I stole and recoloured the laurel wreath] and the Washington DC flag [hence the red bars and star].

Highlander

Banned
Wow :eek:

You all have posted great flags!

@Thande: think you could make it vertical, instead of horizontal? Although there is of course some differences between the North and South, it's more between East and West.

I love all those flags, they're pretty great.:)

Anyway, hers my attempt. The two blue bars represents the two oceans, and the gold represents the rich, fertile land of North America. The drawing is the don't tread on me snake.

alternateusflag.png

VT45

Banned
How's this? There are thirteen stars around the outside, and the ones in the middle added to the 13 is 62. I think. There are also 62 stripes.

Untitled.png