Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gian

Banned
So here's the latest update of my map. (I actually did the South West after the North West just to show everyone that it isn't a Cornwall-wank:p)

H64c6Ua.png

This is another attempt to make South American borders that are "natural" in the sense they look somewhat correct to the curvature of the earth. (Note: These borders are mean't to destroy the nations that once existed in their place).

Untitled.png

Criticisms welcome :)

2gxnzux.jpg

Alright, here's the world map for a roughly few months after the ISOT thing I posted a couple days ago. Its still a bit of a WIP. The light teal in the US is the special Uptimer zones, and the states split in two are the ones where the state capitol was either partially or completely outside of the ISOT zones (except for the bit of California, which I may change). As for why the Soviets apparently control Iraq and Iran, Operation Pike was carried out in this universe. And since I don't know what to do with the bits of Canada that were ISOTed, I left them alone. Comments and criticism are appreciated.

The one thing that I don't get with ISOTs is the idea of parts of ISOTed countries from different time periods reuniting into one country. Why would the majority of people in 2015's PNW or BC want to rejoin a USA or Canada 70 years their junior? The ISOTed countries are miles ahead in their potential wealth, technologies and future potential power compared to anywhere else in the world. Let alone the fact that they're operating on value sets that are separated from their new situation's baseline by leagues and leagues of differences. If that ISOT were to happen wouldn't the borders look more like
pfU8e8F.png

after a few months? Is this kind of thing ignored by ISOT writers for the purpose of fun or do some ISOT timelines address this kind of thing?

The one thing that I don't get with ISOTs is the idea of parts of ISOTed countries from different time periods reuniting into one country... Is this kind of thing ignored by ISOT writers for the purpose of fun or do some ISOT timelines address this kind of thing?

But my past-'Murica wank!

The one thing that I don't get with ISOTs is the idea of parts of ISOTed countries from different time periods reuniting into one country. Why would the majority of people in 2015's PNW or BC want to rejoin a USA or Canada 70 years their junior? The ISOTed countries are miles ahead in their potential wealth, technologies and future potential power compared to anywhere else in the world. Let alone the fact that they're operating on value sets that are separated from their new situation's baseline by leagues and leagues of differences. If that ISOT were to happen wouldn't the borders look more like
pfU8e8F.png

after a few months? Is this kind of thing ignored by ISOT writers for the purpose of fun or do some ISOT timelines address this kind of thing?

Nationalism is a powerful force, I think. While it seems likely that some element of discord will enter after enter in the long run (and some authors, at least, address this), in the short term, more people are going to be thinking about their shared nationalities than their non-shared values, and will want to spread their wealth with their fellow countrymen.

If we take this example, I suspect the average Seattlite is going to want to help his fellow Americans, and even though he'll feel more or less revulsion about, e.g., race relations, he'll probably feel that the best way to help them get over themselves is to bring the future to them. A few years down the line, he may feel increasingly bitter and may decide that there's nothing for it and they should never have tried to integrate with these primitives...but in the first few days/weeks/months, I think the urge to overcome will be stronger.

Nationalism is a powerful force, I think. While it seems likely that some element of discord will enter after enter in the long run (and some authors, at least, address this), in the short term, more people are going to be thinking about their shared nationalities than their non-shared values, and will want to spread their wealth with their fellow countrymen.

If we take this example, I suspect the average Seattlite is going to want to help his fellow Americans, and even though he'll feel more or less revulsion about, e.g., race relations, he'll probably feel that the best way to help them get over themselves is to bring the future to them. A few years down the line, he may feel increasingly bitter and may decide that there's nothing for it and they should never have tried to integrate with these primitives...but in the first few days/weeks/months, I think the urge to overcome will be stronger.

This, pretty much.

Not to mention WWII is still going on. Stopping the Nazis (and the Reds?) will definitely take precedence.

The tale of Lenniweck, also known as Fort Moor, Bababinnetudun, Lenniwick, or Illenewek, is a long history, characterized by brutality, violence, racism, and classism. The first city on the site, was known as Pagewacteego by the Mahenata Natives [1] was established roughly in the 9th century, though settlement can be traced back to at least 600 AD. Flourishing during the Interregnum Thaw, the residents of Pagewactiego formed part of the Chenco Culture, also known as the Moundbuilders or the Netongans (after the Netongo River)[2][3]. The society was sedentary, characterized by social stratification and large scale trade networks among smaller polities. The end of the Chenco culture arrived during the Early Modern Glaciation, with climate changes disrupting agriculture. Pagewactiego was emptied of people by 1400, and was not reoccupied until the Pulakar.

Fleeing from the English colonies in Raleighsland, black slaves had been trickling into the Native populations, both as slaves and as freedmen. By chance, a Todoro, a Muslim scholar, Muhammadu ibn 'Umar, was enslaved, and survived against the odds to get to America. His ideology spread among European and Native slaves. When the Hitcheeti had to call in allies to surpress a slave revolt, Muslim slaves entered the remnants of the Chenco trade routes. Many freed Africans set up smaller states in competition with the Natives. Ibrahim Kande Ba, leading the Fula speakers he led from captivity, settled Pagewactiego, giving it the name Babanbinnetudun, or 'Great Burial Mounds'. He built fortifications around the largest Mound, el Babanbinnetudun and fished and traded with local Freedmen states for food and survival.

The Inoca Peoples and Babanbinnetudun initially fought, but an eventual alliance was formed after the Wiedeaux Crusade, when large numbers of Natives were displaced, fleeing into the Netongo-Great Lakes Basin. Fula caste system and Islamic political thought entered the ideologies of the Inoca peoples and into the Netongo River basin. A mosque made from mud-bricks were built in Babanbinnetudun, and Kande Ba named himself Emir, and created a loose heirarchy based off of the Pulaaku codes. There were districts set up housing the various social classes: The Dimo (nobility) and Emir's court lived in the East of the city; The Sansari soldiers housed in the West. Non-Muslims were not allowed in the city proper, and the Natives (shatabaku) and middle class Pulukar lived across the Inoca River, and the servile Buzu were housed further away, on the banks of the Netongo River proper. In spite of these conditions, and tension between the radical Islamic Babans and the Ancestor worshiping Inoca, the alliance held firm for more than a century. Population expansion brought by Spanish Cattle was directed outward in a series of jihads against neighboring tribes such as the Shawnee and Miami. Trade brought Afro-Islamic ideology as far north as the Hudson Bay, and West to the Goldstone Mountains[4].

The Inoca-Pulakar period was ended in 1730 when the The Noveau Navarrese Company made the Tribes of the Netongo River Basin swear fealty to Noveau Navarre. Babanbinnetudun refused, and the next summer 13,000 Frenchmen and Native allies captured Babanbinnetudun, executed the Emir, and enslaved thousands of residents. Fort Moor was built over-top of the site of Babanbinnetudun, and only the Emir's Palace, the Great Mound, and the Al-Binnetudun Mosque (re-purposed as a Catholic Cathedral).

Noveau Navarrese Rule proved violent and destructive, with most of the original population of the area enslaved or killed, taking with them a legacy of the Netongans and the Pulukar. Though Native and African wives were very common Fort Moor was a segregated slaveocracy, with a complex racial hierarchy (ironically based in part of the Fula codes) where white French plantation owners lived at the top. For the most part, with the importation of more African Slaves, the social order stabilized into a three tiered system, with 'visible whites' as the ruling class, the 'Metis' forming a middle and lower class, and Africans forming the underclass of slaves.

The Netongo Rebellion saw the abolition of slavery, and the rise of the Watchman State. Taekota Pizi (Peter L'Ami in Noveau Navarre) lead the Netongo Revolution, and devolved power to smaller collectives (sachems), under the oversight of a federal polity. Each sachem could rule their own with various laws, but all obeyed the Great Sachem's laws. Sharia, Roman Law, and tribal codes all coexisted alongside a hybrid representative republic running it all.

Though after Taekota's Death the Netongo State fell to French vassalage once more, his ideas were adopted by the French administrators to keep revolts from occurring again. Eventually, the concept of a watchman state, watching over smaller states while being one polity was adopted all across the globe to varying degrees of success.

Eventually the Netongans were granted independence after the Dissolution of the French State, and the name Fort Moor was retired in favor of Lenniweck, after an early Courlandish translation which appeared on Willhelm von Windau's account of the ruins of the city.

[1] The Beaver Wars as we know them do not occur. The Ohio Basin and Mississippi region still contain Siouan speakers. The POD was James Hawkins contacting the tribes of Georgia, in an attempt to make an alliance against the Spanish.

[2] Netonga River - Mississippi River, as a result of the Courlandish contact with the Siouan speakers of the region rather than the Algonquian tribes of OTL. This name is a known Siouan word.

[3] Pagewactiego means approx. 'Big Mounds/Fort/Hill' in Omaha, the closest surviving language to the extinct Siouans of the Mississippi Basin. I took liberties given the lack of knowledge about Pre-Beaver War Mississippian dwellers.

[4] Rocky Mountains

Very nice, and sounds like an interesting setting: something along the lines of Edelstein's post-Westphalianism develops, or was there never a "Westphalian consensus" in the first place in this TL?

I'll probably end up reposting this on the next page, because End of Page syndrome.

Cross-posting from the "Oneshot Scenarios" thread. A lot of the political and physical boundaries in this map are ASB, so I'm sorry if it seems as if I didn't put too much thought into it. Thanks to RVBOmally for making the basemap for this. Decided to try my hand at a dystopia, none of the things implied on the map reflect my personal beliefs.

The Far Eastern Nightmare

In China, Christopher Columbus' name is constantly ridiculed, five hundred years after his death. He was the one that began a chain of events that would topple the world. After landing in China on his ship, he was quick to claim that he landed in India instead, covering up the fact that he didn't. The Spanish government was quite pleased by this, and he ended up going on many more missions for both the Spanish and the Portuguese governments. The Spanish began to influence China, while the Portuguese began to forcefully open up Japan to the rest of the world. The Pope was the one who initiated colonization, believing that these people of the Far East would be easily influenced by conversion. Spain began small, buying out ports on the coast of China in the mid-1500's. Portugal quickly used the opposite tactic, taking over the islands of Japan in a series of wars and dividing it up. The English and French were looking forward to gaining resources as well. The French went for the Indonesian islands, eventually working their way up into Siam and Sri Lanka. England worked both ways, beginning with colonization of Siberia in the 1600's and ending with colonization of Oman and Africa in the early 1800's.

English Thule began the long used practice of turning the natives of a region into slaves. The native Siberians weren't strong enough to fight back, and the Japanese eventually fell to the same circumstances. The English were pretty strong due to this, and began a series of conquests to help the Spanish take down the Qing Monarchy, pushing them into the central highlands of China. They eventually did the same to the Mughals, turning them into a colony and expelling the monarchy into the Rus. Eventually, the Spanish seemed to be getting too strong for the English-Portuguese alliance. In the late-1700's, the two nations teamed up on Spain, grabbing their colonies for themselves and dividing up mainland Spain. Aragon was freed, along with Grenada and Basqueland. Castile became a backwater, even though it was once the strongest nation on Earth. The English absorbed the Basques, while Portugal basically turned Grenada into a Christian colony.

Expansion and repression was the same method used by every European power for years. Dividing up the African continent was easy. England took over Zanzibar and Oman, while the newly unified Italy took over Libya and Tchad. Europe eventually worked their way all the way down to the south, which was a problem for them. It was much too cold in the south for them to survive, but the "Antarctic Africans" managed just fine. They would become a colony, but would later be one of the freest former colonies in the world (although free is used loosely here, as they basically had no central government). In the mid-1800's, after most of the world was divided up (the Qing dynasty in Central Asia was the only country that wasn't in the European sphere), people began to rebel. The Sokoto peacefully rebelled, making threats to advance them to autonomy. The Japanese (known to the rest of the world as the "Lapaman" began fighting slowly, eventually breaking into a full-fledged revolution by the 1950's.

The biggest tragedy was probably the Chinese Civil War, occurring from 1886 to 1912. The now extremely harsh English were putting the vast Chinese population down the most, stealing any new inventions or weapons that came out of the region, such as the lightbulb or the automatic gun. A strong revolution broke out, becoming one of the most well-known periods of death in the history of the world. Millions died on both sides, with hundreds of thousands of innocents being sacrificed for neither side. The English had never lost a fight before, but after thirty years they were beginning to wear themselves down. Their surrender came fast and uneventful, since they never wanted to fully admit defeat. The Chinese didn't gain their goals either, and lost Peking and their claims on Manchuria. On top of that, the government began silencing any dissidents, which caused revolts that eventually stretched over into Qinghai.

Other colonies took after China, including English Thule. They rebelled twice, once in the 1920's and another time in the 1940's. Of course, neither time turned out well for them, and only ended up with them being rounded up into camps in the far north. The English eventually used this tactic on non-rebelling parties, causing a period of systematic racism and genocide to emerge. After noticing that this would only cause worse revolts, they began to delete any information regarding the Chinese Civil War, removing the motivation from the people. Censorship also became popular, especially in the remaining colonies. The Europeans were reassuring the non-enslaved Africans that they were equal, even "freeing" them. They were turned into "Protectorates", which was supposedly a separate entity from their former owners. In truth, they didn't have any freedom, only being influenced by their "former" colonialists.

By 2015, the world is in all meanings a dystopia. Truly free regions exist nowhere, nor will they ever exist again. Eastern Europe is in the process of being absorbed into the Rus, while a dictatorial England and France are in the process of absorbing parts of Africa. The parts that are independent have been forced into anarchy or fascism, while the places that are in the process of rebellion will continue to do so for centuries. Colonialism ended up destroying the world, instead of building it up.

The Far Eastern Nightmare.png

The Far Eastern Nightmare.png

I'll probably end up reposting this on the next page, because End of Page syndrome.

Cross-posting from the "Oneshot Scenarios" thread. A lot of the political and physical boundaries in this map are ASB, so I'm sorry if it seems as if I didn't put too much thought into it. Thanks to RVBOmally for making the basemap for this. Decided to try my hand at a dystopia, none of the things implied on the map reflect my personal beliefs.

The Far Eastern Nightmare

In China, Christopher Columbus' name is constantly ridiculed, five hundred years after his death. He was the one that began a chain of events that would topple the world. After landing in China on his ship, he was quick to claim that he landed in India instead, covering up the fact that he didn't. The Spanish government was quite pleased by this, and he ended up going on many more missions for both the Spanish and the Portuguese governments. The Spanish began to influence China, while the Portuguese began to forcefully open up Japan to the rest of the world. The Pope was the one who initiated colonization, believing that these people of the Far East would be easily influenced by conversion. Spain began small, buying out ports on the coast of China in the mid-1500's. Portugal quickly used the opposite tactic, taking over the islands of Japan in a series of wars and dividing it up. The English and French were looking forward to gaining resources as well. The French went for the Indonesian islands, eventually working their way up into Siam and Sri Lanka. England worked both ways, beginning with colonization of Siberia in the 1600's and ending with colonization of Oman and Africa in the early 1800's.

English Thule began the long used practice of turning the natives of a region into slaves. The native Siberians weren't strong enough to fight back, and the Japanese eventually fell to the same circumstances. The English were pretty strong due to this, and began a series of conquests to help the Spanish take down the Qing Monarchy, pushing them into the central highlands of China. They eventually did the same to the Mughals, turning them into a colony and expelling the monarchy into the Rus. Eventually, the Spanish seemed to be getting too strong for the English-Portuguese alliance. In the late-1700's, the two nations teamed up on Spain, grabbing their colonies for themselves and dividing up mainland Spain. Aragon was freed, along with Grenada and Basqueland. Castile became a backwater, even though it was once the strongest nation on Earth. The English absorbed the Basques, while Portugal basically turned Grenada into a Christian colony.

Expansion and repression was the same method used by every European power for years. Dividing up the African continent was easy. England took over Zanzibar and Oman, while the newly unified Italy took over Libya and Tchad. Europe eventually worked their way all the way down to the south, which was a problem for them. It was much too cold in the south for them to survive, but the "Antarctic Africans" managed just fine. They would become a colony, but would later be one of the freest former colonies in the world (although free is used loosely here, as they basically had no central government). In the mid-1800's, after most of the world was divided up (the Qing dynasty in Central Asia was the only country that wasn't in the European sphere), people began to rebel. The Sokoto peacefully rebelled, making threats to advance them to autonomy. The Japanese (known to the rest of the world as the "Lapaman" began fighting slowly, eventually breaking into a full-fledged revolution by the 1950's.

The biggest tragedy was probably the Chinese Civil War, occurring from 1886 to 1912. The now extremely harsh English were putting the vast Chinese population down the most, stealing any new inventions or weapons that came out of the region, such as the lightbulb or the automatic gun. A strong revolution broke out, becoming one of the most well-known periods of death in the history of the world. Millions died on both sides, with hundreds of thousands of innocents being sacrificed for neither side. The English had never lost a fight before, but after thirty years they were beginning to wear themselves down. Their surrender came fast and uneventful, since they never wanted to fully admit defeat. The Chinese didn't gain their goals either, and lost Peking and their claims on Manchuria. On top of that, the government began silencing any dissidents, which caused revolts that eventually stretched over into Qinghai.

Other colonies took after China, including English Thule. They rebelled twice, once in the 1920's and another time in the 1940's. Of course, neither time turned out well for them, and only ended up with them being rounded up into camps in the far north. The English eventually used this tactic on non-rebelling parties, causing a period of systematic racism and genocide to emerge. After noticing that this would only cause worse revolts, they began to delete any information regarding the Chinese Civil War, removing the motivation from the people. Censorship also became popular, especially in the remaining colonies. The Europeans were reassuring the non-enslaved Africans that they were equal, even "freeing" them. They were turned into "Protectorates", which was supposedly a separate entity from their former owners. In truth, they didn't have any freedom, only being influenced by their "former" colonialists.

By 2015, the world is in all meanings a dystopia. Truly free regions exist nowhere, nor will they ever exist again. Eastern Europe is in the process of being absorbed into the Rus, while a dictatorial England and France are in the process of absorbing parts of Africa. The parts that are independent have been forced into anarchy or fascism, while the places that are in the process of rebellion will continue to do so for centuries. Colonialism ended up destroying the world, instead of building it up.

View attachment 262366

I'm worried Rvbomally has hacked your account. :rolleyes: Man, that's dark.

Alright, here's the world map for a roughly few months after the ISOT thing I posted a couple days ago. Its still a bit of a WIP. The light teal in the US is the special Uptimer zones, and the states split in two are the ones where the state capitol was either partially or completely outside of the ISOT zones (except for the bit of California, which I may change). As for why the Soviets apparently control Iraq and Iran, Operation Pike was carried out in this universe. And since I don't know what to do with the bits of Canada that were ISOTed, I left them alone. Comments and criticism are appreciated.

I say the Canadian portions get their own dominion. As for Iran and Iraq... I have my doubts that the Soviets would be especially successful. If they can't defeat Finland, how can they hope to march an army across such vast areas of desert and mountains?

One squibble, Japan didn't close itself off until the 1600s. In the 1500s they were quite interested in the world abroad and happy to quickly adopt any European technology that interested them.

Status
Not open for further replies.