Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

I'm liking the new updates, Glen. This trouble with the neo-Thuggees looks like it turning into a handful! I can imagine this working itself into the Southern Gothic novels you mentioned if those are still popular.

Southern Gothic is considered a 'classic' literary style at this point, though it's still popular, and there's still kinees being made in the genre.

Also, how different/similar is the TTL US constitution from the OTL Constitution? I know that iTTL there's 3 senators per state instead of two. Are the difference mostly like this where they are mainly relatively small, or are there some major differences? I personally would enjoy an update on the constitution, but whatever. :)

The body is pretty similar as is the bill of rights - after all most of the founding fathers remain the same - the major additions are freedom of language not just religion and speech - an official national language is unconstitutional - and proportional representation is ensconced as well - slavery was phased out without need for a further amending of the constitution - the income tax is the latest amendment based off a flat tax sans a per capita deduction.

Oh, and no one has tried anything as silly as prohibition.

Southern Gothic is considered a 'classic' literary style at this point, though it's still popular, and there's still kinees being made in the genre.

Hmmm... Ye, the times of all this stuff kinda blended together as I read the timeline in a space of about two days. :p

The body is pretty similar as is the bill of rights - after all most of the founding fathers remain the same - the major additions are freedom of language not just religion and speech - an official national language is unconstitutional - and proportional representation is ensconced as well - slavery was phased out without need for a further amending of the constitution - the income tax is the latest amendment based off a flat tax sans a per capita deduction.

Oh, and no one has tried anything as silly as prohibition.

Interesting. :) So it would seem small differences. Makes sense.

Glen

Hmmm... Ye, the times of all this stuff kinda blended together as I read the timeline in a space of about two days. :p

I bet it did!

Interesting. :) So it would seem small differences. Makes sense.

Yep - there's more difference in federal laws overall of course.

Oh, and there was a difference in how blacks and Indians were counted (they counted fully).

I'm not sure about India's ability to secede so easily and uncontested, but I guess the British just weren't willing to take India back?

And I've been wanting to ask, has the USA sent any expiditions north to the arctic as a symbolic claim to their far Northern Territory? Have there been any treaties to say where the borders are in the far Northern Territory? I feel like some people in the US might try to claim the entire arctic.

Glen

Arctic_Ocean.png

The search for the North Pole was a long and complicated one, even more so in some ways than that for the South Pole. While the British dominated exploration of the Antarctic, it was the Americans, Russians, and Scandinavians who contended for the honor of conquering the boreal pole.

One of the earliest exploration attempts was by the Russians and the famed explorer Nikolai Rezanov. However, he quickly found the task too daunting and turned his sight on California.

An early American attempt to reach the North Pole by foot was the legendary attempt by Matoskah Appanoose of the Hudson Territory in 1895. His party were lost in the wilds of the far north, their final doomed base camp found in 1934.

Russia's other great attempt at the northern pole was during the heyday of Korsgaardianism in the Russian Empire in 1888, just prior to the Global War. Minor Russian noble and adventurer Karl Alexandrovich Kolchak attempted to force his way through in the summer of 1888 with a powerful ice-breaker steamship, the Svyatogor. While getting further than any other, the mighty expedition was eventually forced to turn back. Kolchak would later perish in the Global War while serving with the Russian Navy.

A few minor forays by Scandinavians had been made in the latter half of the 19th century, but the most successful was that of Brede Kjerstein whose airwhale expedition overflew the North Pole in 1897, capturing the first pictures of the pack ice over the boreal sea. Poor weather didn't allow for landing as Kjerstein had hoped, but the lessons learned from his expedition would be successfully applied to the conquest of the South Pole a few years later.

By the early 20th century, the Russians were in seclusion from the world, and the Scandinavian thirst for adventure had abated, leaving the field to the Americans. The first major attempt for the North Pole in the early 20th century was that by Gitchigumee's native son Nanuck du Nord, who as a young man in 1912 made his first foray towards the pole, trying to use sleds. It failed and du Nord barely made it back to civilization alive. He would have a long convalescence, but eventually when his health and fortunes allowed, he would once more heed the siren call of the Arctic Pole.

It took the pairing of an older, wiser, du Nord with the dashing Quebecker Nicolas Dezotell to finally conquer the Northern Pole. Dezotell was a dedicated aerialist, and was the first to overfly the Pole in an icewing. However he had determined that a more traditional airwhale would be necessary to take the Pole. Following the pattern set by the Antarctic expedition of Rowe, Dezotell combined forces with du Nord to use a combination of air, land, and sea transport to reach the treacherous North Pole and survive the journey to return to a heroes' welcome in 1935.

Glen

I'm not sure about India's ability to secede so easily and uncontested, but I guess the British just weren't willing to take India back?

And I've been wanting to ask, has the USA sent any expiditions north to the arctic as a symbolic claim to their far Northern Territory? Have there been any treaties to say where the borders are in the far Northern Territory? I feel like some people in the US might try to claim the entire arctic.

Was that update for me? I feel touched, bro. Keep up the awesome work! :D

Yep - you inspired me.

Glen

So in answer to your questions there's a lot of politics surrounding the issue of India, and yes the Arctic is pretty much an American reserve.

Glen

The 43rd and 44th states of the union were added in the year 1932. The borders of 43rd state were the 54th parallel on the south, the Pacific on the West, the Continental Divide to the East. The top portion of the state was formed by the Continental Divide where it hit the 140th Meridian, the border of the Alaska Territory. The 43rd state was named Tlingit after the fierce tribe that had held the land so long.

The 44th state was another heavily Metis and Native populated northern state of the Great Plains. The state reverted back to a classic naming convention when it chose as its namesake the major river flowing through its heart. The Cree called it the kisiskāciwani-sīpiy or swift flowing river. This worked its way into English over the centuries as Kisskachewan. It too used the 54th parallel as its northern border like Winnipeg, and shared with Winnipeg the 102nd meridian as a eastern border. It's western border was the continental divide and its southern was also a watershed.

United States of America.png

Last edited:
Good to see that gap between Mackenzie and Winnipeg get filled in finally :). Also, Alaska's finally a state! Speaking of which, given recent events, would the tallest mountain there be called Denali, or something else entirely? Also, not to be greedy, but is there a world map in the works at any point in the future? I mostly ask to see how India would look borders-wise.

Glen

Good to see that gap between Mackenzie and Winnipeg get filled in finally :). Also, Alaska's finally a state!

Glad you are pleased.

Speaking of which, given recent events, would the tallest mountain there be called Denali, or something else entirely?

Denali. The events that led to the naming change IOTL wouldn't pertain here.

Also, not to be greedy, but is there a world map in the works at any point in the future? I mostly ask to see how India would look borders-wise.

Maybe, though if you look at the older maps you should discern the borders.

Thank you, Umbric Man, thank you kindly...

It did occur to me to ask.

What are the main French-speaking states of the USA? Quebec, to be sure...

... but I'd assume Gitchigumee (from Quebecker migration) and Winnipeg (due to the Metis and perhaps more Quebeckers) are also potentially majority French-speaking. I also wouldn't be surprised if northern Ontario, Nova Scotia, and Maine had their OTL Francophone populations as well.

I'm assuming the rest of the states are English-majority as their OTL areas are, too.

Glen

It did occur to me to ask.

What are the main French-speaking states of the USA? Quebec, to be sure...

Yes

... but I'd assume Gitchigumee (from Quebecker migration) and

Yes.

Winnipeg (due to the Metis and perhaps more Quebeckers) are also potentially majority French-speaking.

Yes.

I also wouldn't be surprised if northern Ontario,

Yep.

Nova Scotia,

Not so much.

and Maine had their OTL Francophone populations as well.

Maybe a bit more, actually.

I'm assuming the rest of the states are English-majority as their OTL areas are, too.

Yes.