Your Predictions For HT's SETTLING ACCOUNTS: TO THE DEATH

- Lulu, Jake Featherston's Loyal Secretary is revealed as a deep cover double agent for the USA...:p

- Melanie Leigh gets plugged by Clarence Potter...but not before they have a torrid romance :eek:

- MacArthur launces an Inchon/Operation Anvil Dragoon attack upon New Orleans and fights his way up the Missisippii River thus breaking the back of the Confederacy...:D

- After the CSA is defeated and placed back in the USA, A secret society made up of former Confederate Soldiers and Officers goes after surviving Negores and Southern "Collaborationists" that administer the occupied CSA. They go about wearing dark hoods and sheets...:mad:

- Irving Morrel survives the War and due to his popularity gets elected President of the USA just like Ike did in OTL:cool:

I would like to the Jonathan Moss getting back to U.S lines just in time to be trained for command of a Jet-fighter squadron. After all the Germans supplied the U.S with Albatros clones in the GW, so why note this TL's Imperial Germany giving the U.S plans for 262's :D

Armstrong grimes Marches to the Sea with Morrel and co?

I like the idea of Morrel taking the Presidency. But I just dont think politics is his game, he's a career soldier.

-While passing through Memphis, TN a young kid with a strange first name, with the last name Presley starts shining shoes for money. He admires one U.S. Army officer's suede shoes. The rest is ATL history...

-In a place called Hope, Arkansas, Lt. William Jefferson Blythe returns home to tend to his farm, deserting the CS Army after learning that his wife has given birth to a new son....

-Preston S. Bush (D-Maine) will move his family to Houston to manage the Reconstruction of the South. His links to corporate America speed the redevelopment, but allow resentment to grow in the South...

-A ceremony in 1965, will feature U.S. President John F. Kennedy, C.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson signing a political agreement...

Bumping this thread.

The Confederate government and the Freedom Party, which is more or less the same thing, evacuates Richmond when MacArthur finally realizes that the Army of Northern Virginia is no longer in front of him and heads south. Featherston orders the city blown up as he crosses the James.

The massively beefed-up Army of Georgia (with all those units from the extinct Army of Northern Virginia) is slowly driven back into and south of Atlanta through the winter of 1944, which becomes and then unbecomes the temporary capital of the CSA. Meanwhile, Morrell begins a drive to flank Atlanta and continue to Savannah, which he finally reaches in spring, cutting the Confederacy in half.

Rockets continue to blast Philadelphia and Washington until Featherston's evacuation of Virginia ends the barrage. Still, Nashville and other U.S.-occupied cities continue to be rocketed from northern Alabama.

A small U.S. force makes its way across the Virginia frontier in the west and seizes Lexington. The FitzBelmont Project is shut down.

At some point in the summer of 1944, organized resistance ends in the CSA. Sporadic guerilla warfare continues in the occupied zones, while the Freedom Party Guards hole up in their last bases and die to the last man.

At some point, Featherston probably dies. It could be in the bunker, as some people who think the war is entirely scripted from OTL believe. It could be on Shockoe Hill, as he foreshadowed to Koenig in TG, where he fires a 100m gun at oncoming Yankees over open sights until they put him down. These things could also happen in Atlanta or Savannah or Charleston or wherever the C.S. government makes its last stand. Or -- Featherston could meet his end while on the run, be it attacked by a U.S. forward unit or a shootout with Gracchus' band of blacks.

Also, I make the heavy assumption that Featherston still follows through on his plan with Nathan Bedford Forrest III to evacuate Richmond and move the seat of power to Atlanta should MacArthur's bowels, I'm sorry--thinking patterns move and force him to head to Richmond. If Featherston is really crazy, and we all know how stupid reinforcing Texas was when he was already heavily outnumbered in Kentucky-Tennessee, he'll order Virginia defended to the end just to provide a base to fire rockets at the USA.

Bumping this thread.

The Confederate government and the Freedom Party, which is more or less the same thing, evacuates Richmond when MacArthur finally realizes that the Army of Northern Virginia is no longer in front of him and heads south. Featherston orders the city blown up as he crosses the James.

The massively beefed-up Army of Georgia (with all those units from the extinct Army of Northern Virginia) is slowly driven back into and south of Atlanta through the winter of 1944, which becomes and then unbecomes the temporary capital of the CSA. Meanwhile, Morrell begins a drive to flank Atlanta and continue to Savannah, which he finally reaches in spring, cutting the Confederacy in half.

Rockets continue to blast Philadelphia and Washington until Featherston's evacuation of Virginia ends the barrage. Still, Nashville and other U.S.-occupied cities continue to be rocketed from northern Alabama.

A small U.S. force makes its way across the Virginia frontier in the west and seizes Lexington. The FitzBelmont Project is shut down.

At some point in the summer of 1944, organized resistance ends in the CSA. Sporadic guerilla warfare continues in the occupied zones, while the Freedom Party Guards hole up in their last bases and die to the last man.

At some point, Featherston probably dies. It could be in the bunker, as some people who think the war is entirely scripted from OTL believe. It could be on Shockoe Hill, as he foreshadowed to Koenig in TG, where he fires a 100m gun at oncoming Yankees over open sights until they put him down. These things could also happen in Atlanta or Savannah or Charleston or wherever the C.S. government makes its last stand. Or -- Featherston could meet his end while on the run, be it attacked by a U.S. forward unit or a shootout with Gracchus' band of blacks.

Also, I make the heavy assumption that Featherston still follows through on his plan with Nathan Bedford Forrest III to evacuate Richmond and move the seat of power to Atlanta should MacArthur's bowels, I'm sorry--thinking patterns move and force him to head to Richmond. If Featherston is really crazy, and we all know how stupid reinforcing Texas was when he was already heavily outnumbered in Kentucky-Tennessee, he'll order Virginia defended to the end just to provide a base to fire rockets at the USA.

I agree with you, I think Featherston will pull back from Richmond to Atlanta for a last stand. Aside from that my guess is that the USA takes control of every part of the CSA west of the Mississippi pretty early on in the book. That leaves a rump South left which the USA will wear down eventually (another year) . Oh, they'll definetly shut down the CSA nuke program, that should be priority number one right? I think as the CSA crumbles, Featherston will flea to Cuba making a China-Taiwan standoff situation (I think Turtledove will want to put in some kind of twist and I think this is a possible model). I'm not sure if the USA will go on to conquer Cuba. However, I do think the USA will take control of the entire mainland CSA. I also think a D-Day invasion of the Carolinas or perhaps Florida may take place. My guess is the book will conclude with western Canada and Ontario being granted independence with the right of the USA to interfere in it's internal affairs. The USA will keep Baja California and force Mexico to pay reparations. Mormons get booted to who knows where.

I can't really imagine where the USA would use a nuke if they get it in time, or why that would be a good policy if they want to reintegrate the CSA. Although, come to think of it, what better way to end the book than by "burning" Atlanta to the ground Sherman style? Thinking about Turtledove, I have to say I now think Atlanta is complete TOAST. I'll have to think a little bit more about what I think will happen in the rest of the world. The only thing I think will come to a head is that Russia isn't going to keep Alaska. The USA may sieze Alaska, or who knows, Japan may stab Russia, UK, and France in the back and then sieze Alaska while it's taking some British possesions.

This all may sound a little America-wank, but if you think about it, the 20th century was pretty Russia-wank. Look at the timeline of it's territorial aquisitions. Pretty crazy.

If there is a nuke used, I think it'll be Charleston that gets it... wasn't that pretty much where the whole Confederacy started? Nice symbology and all that. Germany sounds likely to get the bomb first though... maybe they'll use it on France or Russia...

No offence to you guys who bought these books but i've always thought theres no point in following this series because it literally is WW2 with the countries changed. Thats not original enough for me.

No offence to you guys who bought these books but i've always thought theres no point in following this series because it literally is WW2 with the countries changed. Thats not original enough for me.

the first two books were, sorta, although the CSA strike through Ohio to split the USA in two doesn't really match anything from WW2 on the East front... the Germans certainly never split Russia in two... the third book doesn't have a lot of parallels to WW2, other than it is becoming obvious that the CSA has lost it's one chance to win the war and will be slowly ground down... in fact, the book seems more like it's following the ACW, with the US drive to Atlanta....

Operation Blackbeard and the Confederate push to Sandusky was a Sieg im Westem 1940 analog, not parallel to anything in the Eastern war.

To the poster and any other poster who thinks these books are supposed to be a completely original WWII: the point of the books is to juxtapose OTL total war, holocaust and totalitarian horrors on North America, not to create a totally new world.

And not everything is a direct analog to OTL WWII, either.

Last edited:
I find myself wondering who fulfills the role of Stalin and the Soviet Union in this series of books. Surely Featherstone should have another monstrous tyrant to compete with in the way we had Hitler/Stalin in OTL?

- Mormons are exiled... Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, maybe even some South American nation.

- Featherston leaves Richmond as MacArthur comes rolling in. He sets up shop in Georgia.

-The Germans set off an A-bomb in Paris/London/ St. Petersburg.

-Blacks are given a nation, I am thinking the Carolinia's where the Red rebellion started, but most likely they get some section between USA and CSA.

- Irving Morrell has a proper showdown with Patton.

Chris

Banned
And not everything is a direct analog to OTL WWII, either.

And yet...there is so much the same. The presence of a MAJOR enemy country right next door - as opposed to Canada, which - with all due respect to Doctor What - is not a major country - means that the US will have less room for development than OTL. The world we live in today, in a large way, exisits because of america - and the advantages it lacks in ATL.

I would expect colonism to contine for years to come; not exactly a bad thing, given the state of Africa today, but japan is also likerly to gain China, at least for a while. The US can't interfere; Japan might well end up with the Dutch East Indies and perhaps even Austrila

Chris

Fenwick, in between the the USA and CSA? The way this is going, there isn't going to be a CSA.

So I agree with four out of five.

So here are my thoughts:
-CSA is toast, no more CSA. All of the original CSA becomes part of the US again.
-Atlanta is toast. It gets nuked. I think this is how CSA's last stand will end.
-London and Moscow get Nuked. France folds.
-Cuba gets independence, black halocaust survivors go here
-Japan makes out like a bandit.
-Mormons get the boot. What Fenwick says.
-Mexican lands of the CSA and Baja, not sure about these, either we'll keep them or make a Northern Mexican Republic puppet state.
-Canada is a tough call. Not really sure about this. Any thoughts?

As I would write it:

The UK/France turn the tide and force the Germans into a separate peace. The UK lands troops on Long Island and the French send reinforcements to the CSA. Both actions are based on Potter killing Featherston and wiping out the Freedom Party, which he does. The result is that the US is forced out of CS territory. Once that is done, President Potter offers a peace, arguing that neither side wants to use that horrible new bomb. All parties agree. The result is the return of Canada to the UK, albeit demilitarized. Quebec remains independent. The CS pays indemnities to the US for starting the War. Under Potter's leadership, constitutional government is re-established and the remaining Freedom Party thugs are put on trial. In the early 1950s, Potter proposes close economic integration of North America. The US, CS, Quebec, and Canada form an entity called, say, the North American Union. Each nation remains independent, but they eliminate border controls and tariffs, harmonize some laws allowing for ease of commerce, and adopt a common currency. Europe does something similar, calling its organization the European Union. An era of peace and prosperity descends on the world, which is shattered in 1959 by the inevitable clash between Japan and the Western Nations. However, that war is over quickly as the NAU and EU are way stronger than Japan. Talks then begin on integrating the EU, NAU, along with Australia, NZ, British India, and other similar nations.

I find myself wondering who fulfills the role of Stalin and the Soviet Union in this series of books. Surely Featherstone should have another monstrous tyrant to compete with in the way we had Hitler/Stalin in OTL?

Obviously there isn't a Stalin-role in this world. As I said, not everything is parallel or requires a parallel.

If the blacks are given a country, and they've said on numerous occasions that they'd rather stay in the CSA or in the USA, the former if only the whites would give them half a chance, it would be in white populated areas as a way for the USA to keep a loyalist population amidst a hostile one. Helps keep occupation costs down.

Or Texas, maybe -- help populate that massive empty border with Houston that proved to be so much of a problem in the 1930s.

Japan took the Dutch East Indies away in the 1920s. Having heard nothing about Australia, Occam's Razor says that Australia is left alone.

And Atlanta is on the verge of falling -- it won't get the Bomb. Anyway it would be against the USA's best interests to nuke the vital transportation hub of a country they're planning to occupy. Birmingham, maybe, with its massive steel and auto production industry. The SPUSA might want a trading partner for the future, though. Destroying the CSA's exporting ability harms that, and cotton hasn't been king for a very long time.

As I would write it:

The UK/France turn the tide and force the Germans into a separate peace. The UK lands troops on Long Island and the French send reinforcements to the CSA. Both actions are based on Potter killing Featherston and wiping out the Freedom Party, which he does. The result is that the US is forced out of CS territory. Once that is done, President Potter offers a peace, arguing that neither side wants to use that horrible new bomb. All parties agree. The result is the return of Canada to the UK, albeit demilitarized. Quebec remains independent. The CS pays indemnities to the US for starting the War. Under Potter's leadership, constitutional government is re-established and the remaining Freedom Party thugs are put on trial. In the early 1950s, Potter proposes close economic integration of North America. The US, CS, Quebec, and Canada form an entity called, say, the North American Union. Each nation remains independent, but they eliminate border controls and tariffs, harmonize some laws allowing for ease of commerce, and adopt a common currency. Europe does something similar, calling its organization the European Union. An era of peace and prosperity descends on the world, which is shattered in 1959 by the inevitable clash between Japan and the Western Nations. However, that war is over quickly as the NAU and EU are way stronger than Japan. Talks then begin on integrating the EU, NAU, along with Australia, NZ, British India, and other similar nations.

Britain and France are losing the war and have been threatened with atomic bombings by the German Empire. Hell, the Entente isn't working that closely either. Why do you keep wishing the British and Confederates keep winning in rather ASB scenarios? How is the CSA Army going to drive out the USA after the events of The Grapple, also why would the USA allow Canada to return to the British and how would they land troops onto Long Island when the USN beat the joint Anglo-French fleet and have retaken Berumda? Does Great Britain have a new supercarrier that acts like a Star Destroyer?