Your Predictions For HT's SETTLING ACCOUNTS: TO THE DEATH

Here are mine....

Flora Blackford gets killed when a Confederate Rocket lands and wipes out her Philadelphia Apartment Building...A Special Day honoring Jake Featherston is held in the USA !!!! :D

Memphis, Birmingham. or another major Southern City gets firebombed ala Dresden in OTL with a massive USAF 1000 Plane Raid....:eek:

Jefferson Pinkard's family gets killed in a USA bombing raid on Camp Humble and he escapes to South America at wars end vowing revenge....

Jonathan Moss manages to break through to the US lines in GA and recovers enough to take part in the above mentioned firebomb raid...

Spartacus, Gracchus, and Young Cassius join together as a Simon Wiesenthal style Hunter Group to go after escaped Confederate War Criminals...

Jerry Dover finally gets arrested and Court Martialed by General Patton for insubordination. He survives the War's end and becomes part of the new Occupation Government by the USA....

Why do you want Ms.Winston Eleanor Roosevelt Churchill to die? Do you hate a woman who doesn't vote the way her dead husband would? :p

Defreedomization........and lots of of it. A Nuremburg-style tribunal in Charleston (the birthplace of the CSA). Many Confederates are simply exiled to Australia or South Africa. The Mormons are expelled from Utah (which is perhaps offered to the south's few surviving blacks).

Last edited:
Clarence Potter and Nathan Bedford Forrest III lead a OPERATION VALYKRIE style plot against Featherston which fails...they along with 75% of the Confederate Officer Corps gets wiped out by the Freedom Party Guards....

Featherston marries Lulu before he shoots himself in a wrecked and besiged Richmond Bunker....:confused:

MacArthur leads a attack from Florida and Alabama to link up with US Forces in GA....:D

Michael Pound goes on to greater glory and fame and becomes a Major or Lt. Colonel...Irving Morrel sadly gets killed in a Car accident just like Patton did in OTL...

Cincinnatus, Sam Carsten, Chester Martin and Abner Dowling get killed....:eek:

Last edited:
-Jefferson Pinkard is killed in Camp Humble by revolting blacks who finally understand their desperate straights and react to it, or by liberating Union troops.

-Nukes over Birmingham/Charleston/Richmond.

-MacArthur finally does something right, just like Custer did in the Great War.

-Jake Featherston kills himself/is killed by another main character deep in a bunker.

-John Moss finally returns to the US after the war, finding it a changed place, what with all the bomb craters and all. Goes back to Canada and takes up the practice again.

-At war's end, the Mormons are exiled (moved to, forced, whatever) to the newly-purchased Alaskan territories, where they are out of they way and can cause less trouble.

-War crime trials akin to Nuremburg, possibly in Richmond or Charleston.

-Kaiser Germany, as opposed to the USSR, becomes the US's cold war foe.

-The US slowly begins re-yankeefication of occupied CSA states.

-Awkwardly written sex scenes.

Last edited:
I always thought it would be hard to write sex scenes. Is there a tasteful way to write them?
Hard to say. You'd have to gauge your audience first- I doubt there's a way to write a scene of that type that appeals to everybody. I mean, "They then did the deed" may be as far as some people will accept, while others may so far as to describe how much... um, yeah. It's easier just avoid them in general, or just make passing references to them than to actually write them out.

Short answer: I seriously doubt it.

my predictions:
One or more POV characters will die
Richmond will be taken and destroyed in the process, while Featherston kills himself in his bunker
There will be a last gasp 'Battle of the Bulge' attack by the CSA
Sam Carsten will get sunburnt
Morrell's army group will do a 'Marching through Georgia' thing while destroying a long swathe of territory on the way to Atlanta
The Mormons will be removed and resettled on the Big Island of Hawaii

Thande

Donor
Sam Carsten will get sunburnt
Funny thought: Assuming the Yanks use their atomics against the CSA, maybe they'll nuke a coastal city (I think someone suggested New Orleans)...and if Carsten's ship happens to be passing, maybe he'll actually get one sunburn worth writing about! :D

Funny thought: Assuming the Yanks use their atomics against the CSA, maybe they'll nuke a coastal city (I think someone suggested New Orleans)...and if Carsten's ship happens to be passing, maybe he'll actually get one sunburn worth writing about! :D

Sam Carsten was reddening. It didn't matter how much zinc oxide he slathered all over his arms....it was just horrific....what with all the peeling and the burning and the peeling. He hated being anywhere south of northern Pennslyvania, as it caused him to get a wretched sunburn. Now, sailing past the heavily fortefied Confederate stronghold of New Orleans on the Josephus Daniels, Carsten was looking forward to the end of the war.

Then, all of a sudden, Carsten heard the propellors of a single U.S. aircraft. Ten seconds later, a massive flash of light blinded him instantly. Two minutes later, the shockwaves tore the Josephus Daniels to smithereens. And Sam Carsten got his last sunburn.....the mother of all sunburns.

Something like that?

Thande

Donor
Sam Carsten was reddening. It didn't matter how much zinc oxide he slathered all over his arms....it was just horrific....what with all the peeling and the burning and the peeling. He hated being anywhere south of northern Pennslyvania, as it caused him to get a wretched sunburn. Now, sailing past the heavily fortefied Confederate stronghold of New Orleans on the Josephus Daniels, Carsten was looking forward to the end of the war.

Then, all of a sudden, Carsten heard the propellors of a single U.S. aircraft. Ten seconds later, a massive flash of light blinded him instantly. Two minutes later, the shockwaves tore the Josephus Daniels to smithereens. And Sam Carsten got his last sunburn.....the mother of all sunburns.

Something like that?
That's great! :D Except I don't think Turtledove would have the last five words, he'd just finish it abruptly... but "Sam Carsten got his last sunburn" actually sounds like the sort of thing you'd get from HT.

What about George Enos, Jr.? Didn't he get transferred onto Carsten's ship at the end of In the Grapple? Does that means he dies, too? I sorta liked his character.

Vice Admiral Thande of the USN: the real reason why Sam Carsten never made it to Flag Officer.

Imagine a version of *this*
scenario happenign to the CSA
Interesting. The CSA going down will all the damage it can make- makes me shudder inside. Radioactive waste from failed nuke experiments rocketed to Philidelphia and Washington D.C., possibly?

Call me slow, but what, if any, country could be suitably divided up as reference to postwar Germany? Will the USA best the CSA with enough time left to rush into France from behind and divide it up? Or will the Atlantic be the big line?

Interesting. The CSA going down will all the damage it can make- makes me shudder inside. Radioactive waste from failed nuke experiments rocketed to Philidelphia and Washington D.C., possibly?

Call me slow, but what, if any, country could be suitably divided up as reference to postwar Germany? Will the USA best the CSA with enough time left to rush into France from behind and divide it up? Or will the Atlantic be the big line?

The latter option has a bigger chance of happening.

Thande

Donor
The latter option has a bigger chance of happening.

I had originally assumed before Settling Accounts began that Germany would beat France and Britain first and manage to land troops in the south of the CSA, so we could have a divided North America scenario analogous to divided Cold War Europe OTL. However that now seems unlikely.